3rd row access with 2 rear facing car seats
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Awaiting Approval

3rd row access with 2 rear facing car seats

Hi all,
      first post here, and hoping to buy a 2016 XC90, and wondering if you can fit 2 rear facing car seats in the 2nd row, and still get access to the 3rd row

derek

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I put the 2 next to each other on the passenger side. The driver side is a single fold down and allows access to the third row.

Quote Originally Posted by m0digital View Post
      I put the 2 next to each other on the passenger side. The driver side is a single fold down and allows access to the third row.
      I’m pretty sure this is the only way to get third row access with rear facing seats. Unless you have a small child accessing the third row that can crawl under one of the rear facing seats. I’ve had my oldest (6yo) climb through the back hatch to get to the third row before, she thinks it’s fun.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I haven't done 2 rear-facing, but I've done 1 front, 1 rear in the passenger/middle, and currently have 2 Diono Radians forward facing in the passenger/middle. I can still get 2 adults in the back if needed, and use the seat behind the driver as well to carry myself plus 4 adults and 2 kids. Highly recommend the Diono's if space is a concern. The cup holders come off and it's a very well made and narrow seat.

With 2 child seats on the 2nd row, the middle (& narrower) seat is useless anyway. So, one other option is to go ahead and remove the middle 2nd row seat. If the 1st row seat isn't set too far back, there may be a bit maneuvering space between the 1st & 2nd row seats to get through the new "aisle" (created by the removal of the middle 2nd row seat) to get to the 3rd row. This will depend a lot on the size of the rear facing child seats. Later, when you transition to forward facing child seats, this maneuvering space becomes bigger.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

Quote Originally Posted by m0digital View Post
      The car is not wide enough. The middle seat is very narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by JFK-USAF View Post
      The car is not wide enough. The middle seat is very narrow.
      Try https://www.thecarcrashdetective.com...llations-xc90/

There are car seats available that can do 3 across in an xc90, even rear facing, but it will be tight.

Too bad they don't have an option like the VW Atlas that can fold the second row forward even with a car seat installed...
      Current:
      Linnťa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

The only way that I've gotten it to work is by placing the car seats in the outside seats, and removing one of them to allow access to the third row. This is not that big of an issue if your car seats are easy to install. I also install using latch/isofix rather than seatbelts so that I can slide the seats forward or back without undoing the carseat.

When your kids are older and are front facing, you can fold down the middle seat, which allows pretty easy access to the third row as well. I tried it myself this past Christmas and it was not too hard to climb back there through the folded middle seat.

Quote Originally Posted by chipmunkchan View Post
      When your kids are older and are front facing, you can fold down the middle seat, which allows pretty easy access to the third row as well. I tried it myself this past Christmas and it was not too hard to climb back there through the folded middle seat.
      Or remove the middle 2nd row seat completely.

Quote Originally Posted by satrya View Post
      Or remove the middle 2nd row seat completely.
      Have you done this? It does not sound simple.

Have you done this? It does not sound simple.
      There is a thread with useful pictures. From the pictures, it appears that the trickiest bit is disconnecting the connector under the seat for the first time. The connector appears to be secured to the frame under the seat by a screw or clip (I'm not sure), and the way it is secured, the connector is quite hidden from view.

The seat itself is mounted via 4 obvious screws onto the vehicle frame.

The thread also shows the proper set of resistors to keep the vehicle electronics happy; otherwise it will display some seatbelt/seat occupant warning of sorts.

Once the 4 screws are removed and the connector disconnected, all that remains is to take the seat out and perhaps find a carpet to cover the new exposed floor.

Regarding the removal, if you fold flat the 3rd row seat, the middle center seat can be gently flipped 90 degrees so its back rests on the cargo load floor (that is made up from the back of the 3rd row seat) and slide it out via the rear hatchback (see picture below). That is a lot easier than trying to maneuver the rather heavy seat via the 2nd row opening.

I found the thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...w-on-2016-XC90

Posts #51 & 67 are useful.

Iíve had 3 car seats across for a year. You can do 2 across, one behind the driver or passenger and one in the middle, and have the one side open for a passenger. This also allows for tilting/sliding forward for access to the 3rd row. Thatís how I have it now (though front facing). It will be tough as the child seats need to be narrow. Them being rear facing adds more difficulty but doable.

I use two Diono Radian RXTs (was 3 RXTs, my oldest is in a booster now). They will fit and clear the side seat when folding forward for 3rd row access. You just have to be very specific in fixing the two car seats as far outboard as possible to clear the other seat. It can be done. Only thing about the RXTs is they are tall and require a lot of space in front of the 2nd row. Thatís why I suggest placing them in passenger side and center.

If there is a baby store near you, ask if you can try fitting the seats you want in the car to make sure before you buy. Thatís how we decided on buying the RXTs, test fitted them at our local BuyBuyBaby before ordering 6 of them to outfit two cars for our new twins and 4yo at the time.

Good luck!
      The Daily: 2017 Volvo XC90 T8; R-Design, Crystal White Pearl Metallic, 22" 5-Double Spoke Wheels, Vision, Climate, HUD, Convenience, B&W, Air Suspension, integrated booster, OE Volvo Load Bars, StealthHitch
      The Others: 2010 VW Passat Variant, 1993 VW Corrado SLC, 1992 VW GTI 2.0l 16V
      RIP: 2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4 - killed by a drunk driver

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements