What are the difference between the Momentum seats and the base Inscription seats?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What are the difference between the Momentum seats and the base Inscription seats?

Do they have different adjustments other than the thigh extensions (which aren't important to us)? When I try to find out I keep running out of specific information.

When we test drove a couple of Inscriptions the other day my wife was fiddling with the lumbar support position. If we got the Momentum (with the City Weave fabric) would she still be able to get the adjustability?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Lumbar adjustment should be there on all the seats.

However the thigh extension is actually useful to me. I extend it a tiny bit and it is more comfortable.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Lumbar adjustment should be there on all the seats.

However the thigh extension is actually useful to me. I extend it a tiny bit and it is more comfortable.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      I thought (correct me if when) that lumbar adjustment was two way only for the momentum.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It is much easier to visit a Volvo dealer and ask for an explanation and see for yourself what the differences are

I'm not sure anyone on the forum has both model XC60 MY2020 Momentum and Inscription , so that they can explain the difference in the seats between the two models

There are so many options for seats

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Yeah It is much easier to visit a Volvo dealer for more details. You should see them. Even for me, though my Foxwell NT510 OBD2 scanner can find the problems on my car, I still have to go to the dealer sometimes for it to get fixed.
      Last edited by FlattingNiggle; 01-19-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      It is much easier to visit a Volvo dealer and ask for an explanation and see for yourself what the differences are
      If you live near a dealer this is true. We don't - the nearest dealer is more than an hour and a half away (ditto the nearest MB, BMW, Audi, Porsche dealers) so it's easier to ask about things that someone with the appropriate experience might know.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      I thought (correct me if when) that lumbar adjustment was two way only for the momentum.
      That's right. Momentum has two-way lumbar, whereas base Inscription has four-way lumbar, side bolster and thigh extension. Either is IMO&E preferable to the Inscription with Nappa leather seats, which I find far less comfortable, particularly on longer drives. As always, YMMV.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      That's right. Momentum has two-way lumbar, whereas base Inscription has four-way lumbar, side bolster and thigh extension. Either is IMO&E preferable to the Inscription with Nappa leather seats, which I find far less comfortable, particularly on longer drives. As always, YMMV.
      Kind of a shame but it probably means that doing the Inscription trim is our best bet. Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      Kind of a shame but it probably means that doing the Inscription trim is our best bet. Thanks for the information.
      or R-Design.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      or R-Design.
      Thanks for the reminder. It's a reasonable idea and in some ways it would be nice - my wife isn't fond of the crystal shift lever - but all of the upholstery options are dark so it's a non-starter for us.

Thanks for the reminder. It's a reasonable idea and in some ways it would be nice - my wife isn't fond of the crystal shift lever - but all of the upholstery options are dark so it's a non-starter for us.
      well. a matter of taste. the seats in the R Design are magnificent. Did you try and customise the car online? You can view various trims.
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      Did you try and customise the car online? You can view various trims.
      There's risk that if I show my wife any more configurations she'll kill me with my own computer. Fun and frustrating all at the same time when you can't get just exactly what you want (e.g. City Weave on the Inscription) but I think with the information in this thread we've finally settled on a configuration.

I appreciate everyone's help while we try to figure all of this out while minimizing travel time to/from the dealership. When we moved here we didn't consider that the nearest car dealership of any form is an hour away!

Individuals do not read or understand

He wants Momentum because seats available only in that package with the City Weave fabric

He also opened up a different topic related to equipment at Momentum:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Momentum-trim
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

If you live near a dealer this is true. We don't - the nearest dealer is more than an hour and a half away (ditto the nearest MB, BMW, Audi, Porsche dealers) so it's easier to ask about things that someone with the appropriate experience might know.
      I have never read anywhere that someone has the MY2020 Momentum and the Inscription , so that he can give you an opinion on the seats and their characteristics, especially with the seat model you want City Weave fabric

It may be best to call a Volvo dealer, and ask explanation

Good luck finding the answer
      Last edited by BigBang; 01-09-2020 at 11:03 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

There's risk that if I show my wife any more configurations she'll kill me with my own computer. Fun and frustrating all at the same time when you can't get just exactly what you want (e.g. City Weave on the Inscription) but I think with the information in this thread we've finally settled on a configuration.

I appreciate everyone's help while we try to figure all of this out while minimizing travel time to/from the dealership. When we moved here we didn't consider that the nearest car dealership of any form is an hour away!
      Haha! Well if the car would be for her than no choice amigo than to make that 1hour drive.
      Last edited by R-Pow3R3d; 01-09-2020 at 01:13 PM.

There is some minor misinformation here and I'd strongly encourage the OP to actually go and try the different options. It may be a drive, but you'll regret it if you don't like the seats. Also options might vary in different markets.

The momentum has two way lumbar and then the typical adjustments for rake, height etc.
      The Inscription had 4 way lumbar (which I see as critical) and the thigh adjustment. It does NOT have side bolster adjustments.
      The Inscription also offers a package with ventilated massage seats that had side bolster adjustments.
      The R type had more heavily bolstered sport seats that are only available in black. Some folk love them others (like me) see the bolstering as a deal breaker. Too confing for me.

Nobody here can tell you which seat is most comfy, looks best, had the best upholstery. YOU have to go see.

I tend to fall in love with my vehicles and I hang out on enthusiast sites. One constant is that there is always a thread about seat comfort and always a huge divergence of opinions.

Actually, the XC60 is the only vehicle I've owned that doesn't draw a lot of "these seats are horrible" comments.

Also, I can't speak to the city weave stuff but I never got the association between leather and luxuary. I thought the fabric on the Honda sedans in the 90s was just as nice as leather in more expensive cars. The only option I'm real down on is the synthetic leather in some cars (which is essentially what used to be called vinyl)
      Last edited by Walkabout; 01-09-2020 at 12:02 PM.

There is some minor misinformation here and I'd strongly encourage the OP to actually go and try the different options. It may be a drive, but you'll regret it if you don't like the seats. Also options might vary in different markets.

<snip>

Also, I can't speak to the city weave stuff but I never got the association between leather and luxuary. I thought the fabric on the Honda sedans in the 90s was just as nice as leather in nicer cars. The only option I'm real down on is the synthetic leather in some cars (which is essentially what used to be called vinyl)
      I probably should have mentioned that we have checked out both types of Inscription seats and decided not to go with the Luxury package. I was planning to go back and have her check out the Momentum seats to see if the lumbar adjustment was enough but she decided against it. Not her car/my car, instead it will replace the V70 that as our only car.

I suppose I've been guilty of seeing leather as the luxury option but have been rethinking it, both in light of issues with leather comfort (too hot, too cold, slippery) and environmental concerns. I'm not completely convinced on the latter but if it both were offered in the otherwise equal package I'd be happy to do the City Weave (which would almost certainly get noticed more than any leather, for good or ill.) OTOH, we've had the leather in the V70 for almost 19 years and it has held up very well and not been too terribly cold/hot so it won't be a bad option.

I mention this in other forums, but thought it bore mentioning here. If you find a user, or any number of users, whose posts you would no longer like to see, click on their username, which will take you to their profile. On the left side of the profile is a link to "Add to Ignore List." This will make it so that you no longer see their posts on the forum.

For instance, and this is purely used as an example, if you wanted to add BigBang to your ignore list, you would click this link:
      Add to Ignore List (BigBang)

I also cleaned up the personal attacks which fell outside the forum rules. Keep it clean.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 & 2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

I probably should have mentioned that we have checked out both types of Inscription seats and decided not to go with the Luxury package. I was planning to go back and have her check out the Momentum seats to see if the lumbar adjustment was enough but she decided against it. Not her car/my car, instead it will replace the V70 that as our only car.

I suppose I've been guilty of seeing leather as the luxury option but have been rethinking it, both in light of issues with leather comfort (too hot, too cold, slippery) and environmental concerns. I'm not completely convinced on the latter but if it both were offered in the otherwise equal package I'd be happy to do the City Weave (which would almost certainly get noticed more than any leather, for good or ill.) OTOH, we've had the leather in the V70 for almost 19 years and it has held up very well and not been too terribly cold/hot so it won't be a bad option.
      Most Americans see leather as luxury. The problem I find is that most of the upscale companies don't offer a reasonable alternative. For example, I looked at the M-B GLC. That vehicle does not offer leather in the states - only MB tech. IMO, that's just manufacturer-speak for textured vinyl. I had loaners with artificial leather when I was a BMW owner and it was horrible stuff. I think a high quality fabric COULD be upscale, its just not that way on most of the vehicles available in the states.

I looked at the lux package too. It's overpriced, but I could live with that issue and was willing to spec it anyway. I just couldn't find it on dealer lots without the B & W stereo (which I did not want, for my own reasons). When I lease my next (I love my Volvo, and will get another), I'll likely order the lux package. In all honesty though, the upgrade with the lux package is not a big deal - the four-way lumbar IS a big deal.

But, in the end, this is a pure opinion issue. So, only you can decide.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      For instance, and this is purely used as an example, if you wanted to add BigBang to your ignore list, you would click this link:
      Add to Ignore List (BigBang)
      I also cleaned up the personal attacks which fell outside the forum rules. Keep it clean.
      that's hilarious, cause I came into this thread and s/he was already showing ignored.

Most Americans see leather as luxury. The problem I find is that most of the upscale companies don't offer a reasonable alternative. For example, I looked at the M-B GLC. That vehicle does not offer leather in the states - only MB TEX.
      FIFY. That said, MB Tex is known to last FOREVER and shouldn't be just noted as an euphemism for vinyl. Classic MBs w/ TEX look so much better in terms of wear/no need for re-die. Like, w/ 2 lil kids in our spa truck, I would've preferred MB Tex (but only in that quality) in the back over the easily worn Momentum leather.

I'm not at all convinced that leather is "easily worn." I've had it in three vehicles and didn't experience a lot of wear on any. Then again, I don't have kids and every driver has different needs - so I'm not discounting your post.

M-B's synthetic will last forever but that's not a big issue when you lease.

One of my prior vehicles was a BMW. The dealer would frequently offer loaners with the BMW version of M-B's vinyl upholstery. I don't think BMW's product is as nice as what M-B and Audi offer (both of which do look a LOT like leather) but it didn't smell particularly nice when it got hot, and it felt sticky in warmer weather.

For me, its either cloth or leather. I wouldn't purchase a vehicle with pleather.

For me, its either cloth or leather. I wouldn't purchase a vehicle with pleather.
      Same. If they want it to look or feel like leather then just give me leather. Everything else is just a poor imitation. They all off-gas, feel weird, and smell awful.

I've seen some pretty high-quality textiles, and I'd rather companies offered a luxurious textile option instead of crappy pleathers.

The worst is when I hear companies like Tesla or Fisker say "Vegan Leather". Um, excuse me, but what? The entire concept is absurd!

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Same. If they want it to look or feel like leather then just give me leather. Everything else is just a poor imitation. They all off-gas, feel weird, and smell awful.

I've seen some pretty high-quality textiles, and I'd rather companies offered a luxurious textile option instead of crappy pleathers.

The worst is when I hear companies like Tesla or Fisker say "Vegan Leather". Um, excuse me, but what? The entire concept is absurd!
      You'd expect it to be illegal for them to use the skin of vegans as upholstery. I guess every brand is cutting costs this year though and vegans are inexpensive.

Some of the Volvo interior "leather" is actually "leatherette" e.g. vinyl. Like the "stitched leather dash". And the momentum seats in some 2020+ models.

I'm actually not entirely sure if the arm rests (side and center) are actually leather either. Nor the steering wheel on non-Inscription models.

But if it's high enough quality, does it really matter?

I personally find the leather in my XC60 Momentum has a nicer less "fake" feel than the top-of-the-line luxury seats in my S60 Inscription. Overall, the inscription seats are definitely better (massage, cooling and and adjustable cushion extension) but if you gave me a blind test, I think most people would say the Momentum leather was animal leather, and the Inscription was artificial leather.

Your mileage may vary, but that's my impression having spent a lot of time with both.
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

The inscription does not come with massaging or ventilated seats. That's an option package.

The armrest is real leather.

It does matter, regardless of how quality it is. Pleather doesn't breathe or feel as nice. That said, if I'm not sitting in it, I'm fine with the simulated stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by shammyh View Post
      Some of the Volvo interior "leather" is actually "leatherette" e.g. vinyl. Like the "stitched leather dash". And the momentum seats in some 2020+ models.

I'm actually not entirely sure if the arm rests (side and center) are actually leather either. Nor the steering wheel on non-Inscription models.

But if it's high enough quality, does it really matter?
      Yes, it still matters. The seating surfaces (what you typically touch) are leather. Most manufactures do this. Some brands offer "extended leather" or "full leather" as upgrades. I would buy the full leather upgrade, if it was available. But yes, that is a personal choice.

I don't mind the stitched dash using synthetics, as that is not something I touch, it isn't being misrepresented as leather, and it gets a lot of sun exposure and heat so it needs to be durable.

Quote Originally Posted by shammyh View Post
      I personally find the leather in my XC60 Momentum has a nicer less "fake" feel than the top-of-the-line luxury seats in my S60 Inscription. Overall, the inscription seats are definitely better (massage, cooling and and adjustable cushion extension) but if you gave me a blind test, I think most people would say the Momentum leather was animal leather, and the Inscription was artificial leather.

Your mileage may vary, but that's my impression having spent a lot of time with both.
      I guess it's personal taste then. I look in Mercedes and BMW vehicles and I can immediately tell it's MB-Tex or SensaTec and it screams "cheap" to me.

Yes, it still matters. The seating surfaces (what you typically touch) are leather. Most manufactures do this. Some brands offer "extended leather" or "full leather" as upgrades. I would buy the full leather upgrade, if it was available. But yes, that is a personal choice.

I don't mind the stitched dash using synthetics, as that is not something I touch, it isn't being misrepresented as leather, and it gets a lot of sun exposure and heat so it needs to be durable.

I guess it's personal taste then. I look in Mercedes and BMW vehicles and I can immediately tell it's MB-Tex or SensaTec and it screams "cheap" to me.
      While I mostly agree with you, one comment is that there is a big difference between the MB-Tex and the SensaTec. The former is reasonably nice and doesn't feel cheap - it just feels fake. The later is like the vinyl on my 1987 Dodge Aspen.

I'd rather have cloth seats than SensaTec or MB-Tex.

Its funny how renaming "vinyl" to some tech kind of fabric suddenly makes it acceptable.

Do they have different adjustments other than the thigh extensions (which aren't important to us)? When I try to find out I keep running out of specific information.

When we test drove a couple of Inscriptions the other day my wife was fiddling with the lumbar support position. If we got the Momentum (with the City Weave fabric) would she still be able to get the adjustability?
      When I ordered my Momentum car with black leather seats I also thought that thigh extension is not important as the ordinary seats without any extensions on previous Volvos were just fine. So I didn't pick optional thigh extension and 4-way lumbar support in the configurator. In fact new seats seem shorter and I couldn't find optimal position, there was a kind of pressure on legs and it annoyed on long rides.
      I decided to change seats and fortunately found black full-leather R-Design seats which are also available for Momentum as "sport seats" and these seats are perfect.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
      XC60 T5+ AWD MY20
      XC60 T5+ AWD MY17

Quote Originally Posted by imp070 View Post
      I decided to change seats and fortunately found black full-leather R-Design seats which are also available for Momentum as "sport seats" and these seats are perfect.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
      This option does not exist in the US market for Momentum
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Its funny how renaming "vinyl" to some tech kind of fabric suddenly makes it acceptable.
      That's possibly the biggest reason I hate it. I see people show off their new "BMW" and swear it's leather or that it's better than leather, and all I can see is a big bubble floating over their head that read "RUBE".

This option does not exist in the US market for Momentum
      Indeed it doesn't.. Surprisingly there are no optional thigh extension and 4-way lumbar support as well.. I didn't suppose that US specifications may differ that much. At the same time the configurator doesn't show seats with City weave fabric, which OP interested in. It starts with leather seats and one can choose only a color of leather.

Отправлено с моего SM-G970F через Tapatalk
      XC60 T5+ AWD MY20
      XC60 T5+ AWD MY17

Indeed it doesn't.. Surprisingly there are no optional thigh extension and 4-way lumbar support as well.. I didn't suppose that US specifications may differ that much. At the same time the configurator doesn't show seats with City weave fabric, which OP interested in. It starts with leather seats and one can choose only a color of leather.

Отправлено с моего SM-G970F через Tapatalk
      Exist. There is but it is last, you have to scroll

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Exist. There is but it is last, you have to scroll
      Oh, it's available for the T6 AWD but not for the T5 AWD for which I checked first, there're only 4 colors of leather. Anyway additional options for seats are not offered for T6 also. In Europe it's possible to pack Momentum almost with everything except ventilated Nappa-leather seats and Bowers&Wilkins sound.

Oh, it's available for the T6 AWD but not for the T5 AWD for which I checked first, there're only 4 colors of leather. Anyway additional options for seats are not offered for T6 also. In Europe it's possible to pack Momentum almost with everything except ventilated Nappa-leather seats and Bowers&Wilkins sound.
      The situation is similar with other producers from the EU's car on the US market, not only for Volvo

But in other markets, manufacturers offer different packages of equipment than in the EU market.
      Of course, the prices of packages and accessories are the cheapest on the US market

Compare prices
      US
      Volvo XC60 R-Design T6 AWD: Total $ 55,290
      21" R-Design Wheels $1,000
      Four-C Adaptive Air Suspension $1,800

EU
      Volvo XC60 R-Design T6 AWD: price EUR 65.180 (72.500$)
      21" R-DESIGN Diamantschnitt/Graphitoptik 1.980 € ($2.201)
      Four-C Adaptive Air Suspension 2.280 € ( $2.540)

and ...........................
      Last edited by BigBang; 01-12-2020 at 08:27 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

You'd expect it to be illegal for them to use the skin of vegans as upholstery. I guess every brand is cutting costs this year though and vegans are inexpensive.
      LOL...I spit out my Tall decaf soy latte extra hot
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast