How-to: Adding/Deleting keys on a P1
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How-to: Adding/Deleting keys on a P1

I couldn’t find a good how-to for adding a key to my 2006 V50, so I’m writing this one.

I used VIDA 2015 online, with a three-day subscription, along with a DICE clone. No issues at all. By far, the hardest part was getting the VIDA online account and subscription activated through VolvoTechInfo.com.

NOTE: Throughout this process, your car will cut out and look like it has lost all power. This is VIDA accessing the ECU, which stops the CAN network from working. This is normal! Do not touch anything when it happens. The longest blackout I had during this entire process was about 24 seconds.

Step 1: Buy a key that has the codes on the original packaging. You need to two sets of numbers on the top left (16-digit and 8-digit). Make sure that there’s a battery in it when you begin programming. I paid $67.15 for it on Amazon.

Step 2: Get a VIDA subscription through Volvotechinfo.com and activate it. If you’re a first-time user, follow the directions, in order, on the page to get it set up. It’s painstaking, but easier if you read the directions first. My subscription, with the email bulletin add-ons, came to $82.34.

Step 3: Connect your vehicle and find your software. Once the car is brought up on VIDA, go to the “Software” tab. There will be lists of available software for your car. You have to purchase each program individually.

Ensure “Purchase Software” is highlighted in blue, and then click on the “Function Changes” button below that. You want to select Part Number 30667237, Master Key application. Click “Add Software.” This program cost me $34.18.

Step 4: Purchase the software download. The application should now be listed on the right side of the screen, in the Order Queue tab.

- Click the check box and click purchase. This will bring up a login for the Volvo Tech Info site.

- Follow the directions to complete your purchase. You will get an order number in the top right corner. Write it down. It will also be emailed to you, but it was quicker to just have it ready.

IMPORTANT!!! At this point, make sure that your laptop is charged and that the car’s battery voltage is high enough that it will stay above 11.9V for the duration of the process! Somewhere below 12V, the program will stop running and may brick your ECM. Volvo recommends using a battery power supply whenever you’re programming, but I just took my car for a drive and turned the headlights to the parking-light setting to save some power.

Step 5: Close your vehicle tab that has opened in VIDA and then reconnect the car. I kept getting failures to download if I didn’t do this first.

Step 6: Return to the “Software” tab. Stay on “Purchase Software.” Click on “Query Order” and then click “Continue”. This will bring up the item you just purchased. Select the box next to the Part Number and then click “Retrieve” at the bottom of the screen. You will be prompted to enter your Order Number. Once it processes, go ahead and select “Continue”.

Step 6: Download Software. When you’re ready, click “Start” on the lower right of the screen. This will start the process of downloading and installing your software.

Step 7: Wait for one minute. When the download is finished, the CEM has to refresh and start the key loading program that you downloaded. You’ll get a pop-up and a countdown timer. This refresh keeps the lock on the ignition unlocked, so you can insert unprogrammed keys and still turn the ignition to position II.

Step 8: Program your new key! The new program automatically opens after the CEM is done refreshing and it is actually very user friendly. Click on “Add Key” and follow the prompts to remove your current key, put the new key in the ignition, and turn it to position 2. Then enter the two codes from the packaging. Once they’re entered, click “continue” and follow the prompts. It will prompt you to test the key by pressing a button and, if it worked, you’re finished removing keys.

- If you’re adding multiple keys, the next screen will allow you to add them. Or you can return to the main menu.

Step 9: Remove any programmed keys that you don’t possess. My car came with only one key, but had two programmed. Click “Remove Key”

Step 10: ID which key is which... follow the prompts to push and hold a button on the key, and simultaneously hit “Start Reading”. This will ID the key you’re holding. Do that for all of your keys and the one (or more) that never gets ID’d is to be erased. When the lists in the windows look correct, click “Erase Keys.” When that’s complete, you’re done erasing keys. Click “Exit”.

- If you accidentally deleted a good key, you can just go back and re-add it.

- The program will supposedly work for as long as your subscription is valid, but I believe it only works for that VIN. Once you exit the program, you’ll have to redownload through your order history and execute the program all over from Step 6. If you want to do another car, you will need to purchase the software download again, with that car connected.

Step 11: Click “Exit” to leave the key program and complete the download and key install process. VIDA will return to the download progress bar and continue programming the ECU, resetting any stored trouble codes, setting your clock, and confirming completion.

All in all, it was straightforward. I had a lot of angst that I was downloading the right program and doing things correctly, so hopefully this sets someone’s mind at ease should they decide they want to try it.

All told, it cost me $183.67 to do it all. The dealership quoted me $175 just for programming one key and wouldn’t guarantee that it would work. They wanted $125 for the key itself, had I not had one. So, doing it myself saved over half the cost of the dealer. Being able to get some other work done with VIDA during my subscription made the savings even higher.

Good luck!

Terms for search purposes: Volvo C30 S40 V50 Add Remove Delete Key VIDA 2015
      Last edited by JTF1228; 01-09-2020 at 03:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is a great tutorial! Thanks!!
      2005 S40 2.4i

Great write-up! Very well explained.

When I did this process last year, ended up being easier than I though it would be.
      My dealer quoted me around $300 for programming a new key. For the same money I ended up doing it myself and added fog lights and disabled DRL on my car.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

^^ Really fantastic write-up, thanks for posting! Helpful for those of us on the fence about doing any work requiring a three day subscription. I had my indie add a key while he was swapping an engine for my S40, and he charged me about what you ended up paying. Glad to know it wasn’t out of line.

For reference, I think the ‘06 (and maybe ‘07) P1 C70s can be added to the list, perhaps even more. Programming of “keyless locking system” keys (what I have for mine) might be slightly different, so I hesitate to make a blanket statement for all P1s.

Much appreciated!

BD
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

FYI: the process is the same for all P1s. If it had keyless, the software number is the only difference. The software is called "Keyless Vehicle Key App" or something like that. It won't let you download the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      FYI: the process is the same for all P1s. If it had keyless, the software number is the only difference. The software is called "Keyless Vehicle Key App" or something like that. It won't let you download the wrong one.
      Also a note - if the download fails for some reason, you can restart it, as it isn't pulled out of the "pending download" column. If it says something about downloading the incorrect or incompatible software for the car, you can email Volvo and get a refund for that item, I just provided them a Software #, download # or whatever the identifying info they had and the cost of the charge and they'll shoot you a refund, had one do that to me.

Additionally, if you encounter a condition where the write isn't finished or it hangs while reading the car (it puts the car in "tow mode" and nothing works), you can just disconnect the battery and wait and reconnect it. Everything powers up like normal.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Really amazing info. Thanks OP!

Sticky please!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
      2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 (2017 - ) || 1987 Toyota MR2 (2016 - ) || 2002 Lexus IS300 (2016 - ) || 2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 (2016 - 2019) || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 (2015 - 2016) || 2001 Acura Integra GSR (2010 - 2010) Stolen lol

Thanks for your time and the write up, very informative!

I wonder if 3day subsctiption option works outside of US, IIRC European option was only half a year last time I checked (*years ago). Bypassing it by VPN is probably an option anyway, but then I wonder if it has any country-specific restricrtions, like US VINs only etc...

Is vida2015 online something you log in after purchasing subscription or you need to get it first like 2014D and then go online?
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Stickied, thanks.

VIDA online is completely separate from 2014D, it's available only by subscription. In the US at least, www.volvotechinfo.com is the source. The policy there says:

DEVICE Approval - Once VIDA is installed and registered the computer or "DEVICE" must be appoved. - The approval is carried out by the subscriber. The computer is approved in the VIDA Admin website under the "DEVICE" device. When you open the DEVICE tab, click on DEVICE NAME. Click on the dropdown box and change from Registered to Approved. Then select SAVE on the bottom of the page.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      Thanks for your time and the write up, very informative!

I wonder if 3day subsctiption option works outside of US, IIRC European option was only half a year last time I checked (*years ago). Bypassing it by VPN is probably an option anyway, but then I wonder if it has any country-specific restricrtions, like US VINs only etc...

Is vida2015 online something you log in after purchasing subscription or you need to get it first like 2014D and then go online?
      When you sign up for your subscription and/or account (at least through the Volvo Tech Info site), there’s a statement that it is only for use within the borders of the US.

I imagine and hope that a VPN will work, as I’m taking my US-spec car to Europe for a couple of years, starting next month. That said, I had the options to download Turkish, German, Hungarian, and other European software profiles, so my totally-unscientific guess is that a US subscription will work will any car... I’ll check to see if a good VPN works when I get over there, and see if it can check non-US VINs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JTF1228 View Post
      ... I’ll check to see if a good VPN works when I get over there, and see if it can check non-US VINs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Cool, let us know, would be good to test it. I have no doubts VPN will bypass the region checking, cant imagine Volvo would bothert to block server IP's just for sake of preventing people using it, but the local profiles for US/EU Vins may be set somehow differently... Anyway - interested to hear out if you test it.

on a totally sidenote - taking your car with you to Europe? Thats some dedication... Is that for sentimental or pragmatic reasons? (I mean, for cost of transport you can probably buy that car in Europe...?)
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

on a totally sidenote - taking your car with you to Europe? Thats some dedication... Is that for sentimental or pragmatic reasons? (I mean, for cost of transport you can probably buy that car in Europe...?)
      A little bit of both. Mostly, it’s because the US govt will ship it for me there and back.

But, it’s a V50 T5 AWD M66. I love the manual and in US-spec, it’s one of the last of the offerings of the M66. It’s great in the snow where I live now, it’s fun, and I’ve rebuilt most of the damned thing by now, so I plan to take it to 300K miles or more (at 175K now)...

Quote Originally Posted by JTF1228 View Post
      A little bit of both. Mostly, it’s because the US govt will ship it for me there and back.

But, it’s a V50 T5 AWD M66. I love the manual and in US-spec, it’s one of the last of the offerings of the M66. It’s great in the snow where I live now, it’s fun, and I’ve rebuilt most of the damned thing by now, so I plan to take it to 300K miles or more (at 175K now)...
      Ah ok, well in that case I would take it with me aswell Depending on the country you are going to you may find it either "uncommon" (scandinavia/Switzerland etc) or "rare" (i.e. Poland ) or "super-unicornish" (Ireland :P), either way everybody will assume its a diesel

Ah ok, well in that case I would take it with me aswell Depending on the country you are going to you may find it either "uncommon" (scandinavia/Switzerland etc) or "rare" (i.e. Poland ) or "super-unicornish" (Ireland :P), either way everybody will assume its a diesel
      It’s off the Deutschland! I just want to be a little different than everyone there whose car starts with the letters V-O-L...

Very helpful! I finally got ahold of someone at the local dealer that said yes, they could program a key with me waiting, $82.50 labor, $36.95 for the software, use a key I supply and I have that exact same key on the way. The dealer price on that key is $147.90. Ouch. I think my wife will be VERY careful with her next one.
      '06 S40 T5AWD M66: Mrs. Foley's old car.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements