Aston Martin still shares Volvo parts?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Aston Martin still shares Volvo parts?

I was just watching the Grand Tour and noticed something interesting. Clarkson was driving a new Aston Martin DBS and looking at the interior I noticed that the car has the exact same frameless mirror Volvo uses. I just thought it was interesting considering Volvo and Aston are no longer under shared ownership by Ford.

This may sound weird but I’ve had at least 3 or 4 passengers get in my car and comment on how the mirror design. It’s an odd thing to comment on but I totally understand why. It is really beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

The mirrors are a subcontracted part, and there's only 2 major players in that field, GenTex and....I'm blanking on the name of the other.

You'll find similar mirrors across all sorts of otherwise unrelated brands for this reason.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      The mirrors are a subcontracted part, and there's only 2 major players in that field, GenTex and....I'm blanking on the name of the other.

You'll find similar mirrors across all sorts of otherwise unrelated brands for this reason.
      Actually Volvo designs their own mirrors, which also makes sense considering Volvo and Tesla were the first to implement frameless mirror designs before GenTex and other companies were even selling them to manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      I remember seeing an article about this a long time ago. It made sense at the time since Volvo and AM were both owned by Ford. However, now they’re both under totally different ownership so it’s strange now. Aston also uses a lot of pieces from Mercedes too.

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      I remember seeing an article about this a long time ago. It made sense at the time since Volvo and AM were both owned by Ford. However, now they’re both under totally different ownership so it’s strange now. Aston also uses a lot of pieces from Mercedes too.
      Brands sign agreements to share/sell parts, all the time. When Ford owned AM and Volvo they don't just get carte blanche to rummage in each others parts bins. They still sign agreements. Of course, it's easier to get an agreement when you're both owned by the same parent company, and the parent company WANTS part-sharing. Even though Ford sold AM and Volvo to different owners, the agreements still exist as valid contracts.

Mercedes has, historically, always been fairly easy-going about selling their parts to other manufacturers. Tesla uses Mercedes window switches, for example. Many boutique automotive manufacturers source their engines from Mercedes, even.

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Brands sign agreements to share/sell parts, all the time. When Ford owned AM and Volvo they don't just get carte blanche to rummage in each others parts bins. They still sign agreements. Of course, it's easier to get an agreement when you're both owned by the same parent company, and the parent company WANTS part-sharing. Even though Ford sold AM and Volvo to different owners, the agreements still exist as valid contracts.

Mercedes has, historically, always been fairly easy-going about selling their parts to other manufacturers. Tesla uses Mercedes window switches, for example. Many boutique automotive manufacturers source their engines from Mercedes, even.
      Thank you this makes a lot more sense now!

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post

Mercedes use Renault-Nissan engines for A / B class before it was 1.5dCi now 1.6dCi , a long time, now they have signed a new contract . Mercedes will give Renault-Nissan V6 and V8 engines

https://www.motor1.com/features/2429...her-automaker/
      Last edited by BigBang; 01-11-2020 at 03:25 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

And another, closer to home, example of Mercedes collaboration: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...cid=spartanntp

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Mercedes use Renault-Nissan engines for A / B class before it was 1.5dCi now 1.6dCi , a long time, now they have signed a new contract . Mercedes will give Renault-Nissan V6 and V8 engines

https://www.motor1.com/features/2429...her-automaker/
      Likewise, Nissan gives Mercedes Frontier chassises and 3/4 of the design for their X Class pick-ups.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Actually Volvo designs their own mirrors, which also makes sense considering Volvo and Tesla were the first to implement frameless mirror designs before GenTex and other companies were even selling them to manufacturers.

I'm afraid that's not accurate. GenTex was and is the supplier of those mirrors to both Tesla and Volvo. It's also worth pointing out that "HomeLink" is a registered trademark and patented technology owned by GenTex.

https://homelink.com/volvo

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-Vehicles.html

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      I'm afraid that's not accurate. GenTex was and is the supplier of those mirrors to both Tesla and Volvo. It's also worth pointing out that "HomeLink" is a registered trademark and patented technology owned by GenTex.

https://homelink.com/volvo

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-Vehicles.html
      The second article you sent is from 2010 prior to when Volvo started using frameless mirrors. However, GenTex page shows all the mirror designs they offer and Volvo’s is not on that page so it leads me to believe that they are not the ones responsible for its design.

https://www.voxxelectronics.com/gentex/

The second article you sent is from 2010 prior to when Volvo started using frameless mirrors. However, GenTex page shows all the mirror designs they offer and Volvo’s is not on that page so it leads me to believe that they are not the ones responsible for its design.

https://www.voxxelectronics.com/gentex/

Because those are what they have available to the general public, not what they are contracted to build for, and sell through, a manufacturer.

Some manufacturers *cough*Toyota*cough* have used off the shelf offerings from GenTex to lower costs. Other manufacturers have locked GenTex in as a captive supplier.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements