Ed-Oorklep's 2006 Magic Blue 2.0T Manual V
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Ed-Oorklep's 2006 Magic Blue 2.0T Manual V

Since I've been working on it quite a bit lately it was time to give the V it's own thread.

It's a V70 2.0T (5cyl) Magic Blue Pearl which looked like this when I bought it:

IMG_7426.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

IMG_7428.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

IMG_7431.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

The plans when I got it were

- Put a carkit in it
      - resurrect the Imiv that is in
      - Find keys for the hitch
      - Maintenance
      - Remap of the ECM
      - Find a set of Nebula rims
      - BC Racing suspension
      - Egg crate grill (from an S60).

That would kinda make it look like this when finished:

blue-Nebula by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Small history of the volvo's I owned:

First one wasa Titanium grey V40 Diesel:

Car.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

Which had Eibach springs, some 17" dark grey Rims, White Sidemarkers, a Powerbox and probably more that I don't remember.
      I sold that because I got a new job and the travel distance didn't make up for the Diesel cost anymore (we have to pay a set amount based on the weight of the car and the fuel it runs on here).

Then I bought a Sapphire Black V40 2.0T (4cyl)

IMG_8902.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

Mods to this were, Smoke sidemarkers, changed the headlights to HID units with black inlays, 17" Arcadia rims, tinted windows
      This one developed a cracked block after a few months of owning it so I took it apart and sold it in parts.

The 3rd one was a Black S60 T5

cleaned by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

It had a Heico Exhaust, downpipe, remap (it had about 300hp), BC Racing suspension, Projector retrofit and a lot of other stuff. Really great car untill someone cut off my wife on the highway and it ended up in the guardrail picture of the crashed car. I'm in the process of taking it apart and using some of the parts on the current car.

Back to the V70 and what has been done to it so far.

Install car kit = Done
      I put the small screen into the center console so it is invisible.

Replaced all orange bulbs for silver ones:

IMG_20190706_121006 by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

IMG_20190626_211247 by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

Maintenance = Done
      Replaced all filters, spark plugs, Ignition Coils, Top Engine mount for a PU one
      Painted the Engine Cover gloss black & added an MCM sticker ;-)

IMG_20190815_103719 by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

Polished the headlights
      Not satisfied by the result (lenses have cracks on the inside as well) so I will replace the lenses this year

Installed the wheel spacers that were on the S60:

IMG_20190920_135224 by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

Found a set of Nebula's:

IMG_20191026_165215 by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

Got a remap power increased from 180hp to about 220-230hp
      Installed the 3" downpipe from the S60, even more increase in power, butt dyno says significant but no numbers known.
      Got the Imiv working, so can stream via 3.5mm cable from my phone.

To be done:

- XC90 brakes:

IMG_20191019_165450 by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

- I am setting up a Raspberry 3 to use with the original RTI screen to have up to date navigation (waze) and stream music (spotify).
      - Paint the rims in the darker colour that the P80 Titan & Peg rims have
      - Replace the lenses of the headlights and remove/recolor the orange reflectors because they are ugly.
      - Egg crate grill, had a S60 grill left over, currently in the process of cutting it to fit the V70 surround (only the chrome edge). And then join the 2 pieces together.
      - BC Racing suspension, 1 corner of the S60 set was damaged in the crash so I'm looking if I can replace only that one (since it was basically brand new) or the fronts only, if not possible I will buy a complete set.
      - Mud flaps, I like the look of the stock ones and with the spacers the wheels throw up quite a bit of dirt.
      - Replace/rebuild the mirror turn signals with flowing led strip

Possible future plans....
      - Maybe swap the 16T Turbo from the T5 onto it but then the power will be too great for the clutch so that will need to be replaced as well
      - 2005 S60 front Bumper or an R bumper
      - Paint the bottom plastic trim in the cars colour
      - Repair/Repaint the leather on the seats (they are neat but not perfect).
      Last edited by ed-oorklep; 01-10-2020 at 04:50 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Looks great. I'm sure people will be curious to follow how you do the grill, as this is a great idea. Cut with a dremel a little at a time? How will you join the two together? You should document with pics!
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Looks great. I'm sure people will be curious to follow how you do the grill, as this is a great idea. Cut with a dremel a little at a time? How will you join the two together? You should document with pics!
      I'll take some pics along the way. I indeed cut it with a dremel bit by bit, now gotta sand the edges so that they are flush and then start on the V70 grill.
      I already test fitted it and the S60 grill is a few mm too wide for the hole in the V70 bumper so that will also need a bit of shaving.

I am planning on joining them together by some 2k automotive grade glue that we use at work but I guess something like JB weld or some other glue that is useable outside would work just as well.

Took some pics of the W.I.P.

So far I only hacked off the edge of the S60 Grill:

And did a test fit:

It fits, kinda. It's not obvious in the pictures but the S60 grill is a few mm too wide for the hole in the bumper but nothing that cannot be solved by a little bit of dremel action.

The tabs circeled below also need to be removed since the 2006 V70 Grill has the tabs in different places and on the outer rim.

next steps are cleaning the cuts up since they are quite rough in some areas and then cutting up the V70 Grill. Progress is slow since I don't have much spare time on my hands atm so don't expect any results soon...

Update time;

In the meantime I installed the BC racing rear shocks and springs from my old S60 into the V70, it hasn't dropped more in the rear than it was already so I will have to adjust that still.
      Next on the list is ordering a replacement for the left front shock so that I can also install the front ones and drop it some more overall.

I had ordered some ricer blue silicone vacuum lines (works well with the blue engine mount) and they have fixed my (minor) hicups under accelleration.
      I found the old vacuum lines were still from 2006 and a bit crusty....

And today I took some time to do adjust the rear coilovers;

IMG_20200519_200037 by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

Now the front is getting more urgent

Hey - not sure if you ended up finding keys for your hitch but I had the same problem and ended up getting some for cheap from the UK from replacementkeys.co.uk. All you need is the code on the lock mech. In my case I submitted my order from Canada on a Monday and the keys were in my mailbox on Thursday. Here's a video of my experience with that hitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oolrxZuzECA&t=525s
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimemcalpine View Post
      Hey - not sure if you ended up finding keys for your hitch but I had the same problem and ended up getting some for cheap from the UK from replacementkeys.co.uk. All you need is the code on the lock mech. In my case I submitted my order from Canada on a Monday and the keys were in my mailbox on Thursday. Here's a video of my experience with that hitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oolrxZuzECA&t=525s
      I found a company that could remake them locally, and then had to use a lot of WD40 to get it out, but I got it in the end.
      Thanks for the tip though!

S60 Grill fitted to 2006 V70

Finished the Grill, finally.

cut out the vertical waterfall thingies from the V70 grill,
      smooth the edges with the dremel (I am not the best with the dremel so my finish is not the best).
      Since there are parts of the chrome missing now I decided to paint the ring in metallic grey (same colour as the Titan rims):

Glueing the two pieces together, making sure they are tight enough and in the right place, since the rubber bands deformed the ring inward a bit I had to realign them:

The S60 Grill is actually a bit higher then the opening in the rim, so I made the bottom side flush and have the rim overlap the top a bit (3-4mm)

Fitting the Slash, also just glued into place, I had to cut some parts of the grill to make the slash sit flush onto the egg crate structure:

Test fit:

Final fitting:

I love the way it looks now, it coul have been better if I had paid some more attention to where I cut the vertical features of the grill because the edges are a little rough, but it's good enough for me for now.

The reasons I did it in this way was because the 2004+ grill shape is different from the earlier models and an older grill does not fit into the hole.
      I had an S60 grill lying around and therefore this was a free mod for me.
      I like the look of the S60 grill over the grills you can buy because those have 3 horizontal lines and the vertical ones are hidden more.

Next on the list, replacing the lenses on the headlights (they are ordered and en route)
      And a set of mudflaps
      And the XC90 front brakes
      And the front BC Racing struts (rear is already in)

Enough to do still :-)

Looking good Any updates on your project to repurpose the RTI screen?

I would also highly recommend the XC90 rear brakes. I put my XC90 316s on my S60 before the rear XC90 308s and found the brakes to be rather unbalanced in that configuration. I love the 316/308 combo now.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Looking good Any updates on your project to repurpose the RTI screen?

I would also highly recommend the XC90 rear brakes. I put my XC90 316s on my S60 before the rear XC90 308s and found the brakes to be rather unbalanced in that configuration. I love the 316/308 combo now.
      No update on the RTI yet, I have the Raspberry and if I connect it to the Imiv it works fine, but I have not found software that will do both google maps and spotify.
      Android on the raspberry is too slow and buggy, I'm trying a linux distro wich can at least use spotify connect now, but still that is no navigation.

I am planning on adding the XC90 rear brakes as well indeed, but need to find the parts still. I had the fronts only on the S60 as well and they are indeed not that well balanced.

Raised the rear a bit again tonight after I scraped my first speedbump last weekend.
      Also added a set of mudflaps because the spacers made the wheels sling up a lot of dirt.

Now waiting for the front BC strut to complete the set.

IMG_20200605_193349 by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

IMG_20200605_193321 by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

IMG_20200605_193331 by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

Needs a wash badly though

Update, full coilovers installed

Got the replacement strut in the mail today, so took a few hours tonight to throw the front part of the coilovers on as well.
      Crappy picture but I was losing light and didn't want to break the big camera, I'll make some new ones soon.

new pictures

Took some new pictures today:

IMG_8223.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

IMG_8225.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

IMG_8230.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

IMG_8233.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

IMG_8237.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr

IMG_8243.jpg by ed-oorklep, on Flickr
      Last edited by ed-oorklep; 06-11-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Looking good!

If you ever happen to find yourself parked facing a wall at night, I'd be curious to see what the beam pattern from the ECE ABL looks like .

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Looking good!

If you ever happen to find yourself parked facing a wall at night, I'd be curious to see what the beam pattern from the ECE ABL looks like .
      I'll try to remember to do that next time I park it the wrong way around in the driveway in front of the garage ;-)

Looking good!

snapped a pic today after swapping the lenses out, but it wasn't night yet... And yes they need adjustment ;-)

Anyways onto the job of the day, replacing the headlight lenses....
      And covering up the orange corner lights.
      I found some sort of hexagon reflective tape on aliexpress wich did the job nicely.

The process is quite simple, get some replacement lenses from vparts.se, cut off the old lenses, work hard to remove the leftovers of the lenses from the groove where the lens sits, add glue for the new lenses, stick the new ones on and done.

Here it is in pictures;

Quote Originally Posted by ed-oorklep View Post
      snapped a pic today after swapping the lenses out, but it wasn't night yet... And yes they need adjustment ;-)
      Pattern looks legit. Better than my original DOT ABL. I like.

Quote Originally Posted by ed-oorklep View Post
      Anyways onto the job of the day, replacing the headlight lenses....
      And covering up the orange corner lights.
      I found some sort of hexagon reflective tape on aliexpress wich did the job nicely.

The process is quite simple, get some replacement lenses from vparts.se, cut off the old lenses, work hard to remove the leftovers of the lenses from the groove where the lens sits, add glue for the new lenses, stick the new ones on and done.
      Easy when you live in a country that VParts will ship to! LOL. I gotta get my friends in NL to order some for me.

That reflective tape mod is slick.

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements