Sensus slow boot at startup, affected by apps?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Sensus slow boot at startup, affected by apps?

Does the number of apps installed affect the Sensus boot up speed? I have also noticed that the reverse camera does not come on line immediately after startup (although parking sensors work immediately), along with other controls like temperature or seat. At times it takes a few seconds for the touch controls to become available/responsive.

I am wondering if the number of apps (such as Yelp, Tunin, etc.) affect the boot up speed. i may try to uninstall them this weekend and see, but was curious if others have similar experiences.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Forum Sponsor
      It’s always a good idea to uninstall unused apps. The less the system has to load, the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteingoldVolvoCars View Post
      It’s always a good idea to uninstall unused apps. The less the system has to load, the better.

A long time ago, when I uninstalled the apps, it didn't allow me to re-install it. Is this still the case? I.e. - I had to uninstall Pandora before since it was "stuck". But then it didn't give me the ability to reinstall it. I had to go to the dealer to get it reinstalled.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The short answer is yes. When I picked up the car, the dealer had loaded all of the available apps. I didn't think much of it and left them there, but did notice after uninstalling some/most of them, that boot times were much improved.

For reference I have a '19 V90cc, and the only apps I have active are Spotify, Weather, VOC, Park n Pay, and Glympse.

Quote Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
      A long time ago, when I uninstalled the apps, it didn't allow me to re-install it. Is this still the case? I.e. - I had to uninstall Pandora before since it was "stuck". But then it didn't give me the ability to reinstall it. I had to go to the dealer to get it reinstalled.
      I show the uninstalled apps as "new apps" available for download.

I've installed/Uninstaller apps to see if I could see a difference and unlike others I didn't see much difference. 95% of the time I'm quite happy with responsiveness. Once in a blue moon when I start up, plug in Android auto make a call, get a text, change temperature and reverse out of the garage all at the same time (!) do I get a second or two stalling but it's very rare and only when I do a lot of things at the same time. My regular start up routine and reversing out of the garage (which seems to be the most taxing on the response time ) is quite responsive enough.

I did have a problem with occasional Sensus reboots especially when using the NAV on long drives with lots of directions but that has also gone away with the latest (November) update.

(I have a late year 2018 V90 which I think may be late enough to have the upgraded hardware and the latest November update)
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

• In my testing on my 1 wk-old XC60 T8 with latest software, yes, number of apps seems to increase Sensus startup time, but I have yet to convince myself it's as big of a deal to just have them, vs. use them, if you get my drift.
      • It will take longer (quite noticeable) if you have any downloads going on, or e.g. updates happening to Maps via WiFi or USB.
      • If you are using a USB device for music and it's the first time you inserted that device or changed it's contents, a scan will take place, slowing down Sensus for a few secs to a couple of mins while that takes place, and then a shorter period of time each time you restart Sensus based on the number of tracks you have on the device.
      • iPods seem to have a fixed amount of time they take to startup no matter if you have the max 15K tracks on it or not.
      • CarPlay (and likely Android Auto) add time to startup.
      • I also suspect some apps are just more resource intensive or may be going out to the web for data with everything else going on, so YMMV based on what you have installed and operational -- e.g. streaming services use more resources and introduce more variables than say, FM.

If you're interested in sample timings of some of that, it's here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7485897. Scroll halfway to the "Central Sensus Display" section, and the stats are there.

FWIW having spent my career with mainframe/mini/workstation computers programming, sales and tech support, all computers have similar issues at startup trying to get everything going at once, and while most everyone is impatient (me too!), most people/companies can't afford to size processor/memory/data drives/networking etc for that relative short startup time vs what they estimate is necessary for a little more than normal operation. No different with our Volvo. My early impression of Sensus though is there is perhaps some work Volvo could do to speed up the priority some things come fully alive vs others at startup -- I'm not holding my breath for that kind of fine tuning now that Volvo has announced they are moving to the Android platform vs Sensus beginning with XC40 Recharge.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

I'd think it is silly to think that on a modern OS, some apps are installed, never used and they affect the Sensus response time. There are enough free disk space more files don't affect disk access time.
      It is the 4 apps on your home screen that matter most. If you have Spotify there, it will of course take significant time to load. But if you have the FM radio player, it is very quick to load.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      FWIW having spent my career with mainframe/mini/workstation computers programming, sales and tech support, all computers have similar issues at startup trying to get everything going at once, and while most everyone is impatient (me too!), most people/companies can't afford to size processor/memory/data drives/networking etc for that relative short startup time vs what they estimate is necessary for a little more than normal operation. No different with our Volvo. My early impression of Sensus though is there is perhaps some work Volvo could do to speed up the priority some things come fully alive vs others at startup.
      the loaner 2020's sensus is SO much faster than my '18; assuming there's no hardware upgrade until Android auto, I'm going to start deleting every darn thing.

Also, does anyone know if 2020's got new sensus screen? or rear view camera? It's just so much clearer/brighter.

@tonyc Volvo updated the processor in 19 Volvo which made sensus runs faster now. There are no changes in 20 Xc90 infotainment system from 19 models

I have been led to believe that the updated hardware was also implemented in late year 2018's. Not sure if true or where the exact cutoff may be. I don't have any complaints about the Sensus speed in my 2018 V90 and I don't see any difference between the 2019's I've driven on test-drives or as loaners. Hopefully someone may be able to confirm or deny whether this is the case.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Updated IHUs rolled out in 2017, during MY18 production. The IHUs have been the same since.

Any idea exactly where the cutoff was (e.g. in terms of VIN or production date) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      Any idea exactly where the cutoff was (e.g. in terms of VIN or production date) ?
      Would have to look in VIDA the next time I activate a subscription. Or someone else could look into it on VIDA.

Confirming w/ the latest update this week (I'm assuming it's Jan '20?) the daily double rebooting of my sensus has stopped, and the load speed is a lot faster,especially now I deleted all the apps, and the scroll is smoother, The driving feels is still not as good as the fresh 2020 but... maybe my car just knows I'm a cheap bastard who wants better mpg > sporty gas pedal feels.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements