Driving with liftgate open?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Driving with liftgate open?

I need to get some plywood and other building supplies home today. I measured inside the passenger area and the plywood won't completely fit without adjustments.

I don't have a roof rack. The local dealer wants more than $300 for one, which is too much for a one-time use. I can't find a non-OEM alternative at any of the local stores. Amazon can't deliver one until next week. So I'm left trying to fit the stuff into the vehicle instead of on top of it.

The plywood may fit if I can remove the headrest from the front passenger seat (#12 here: https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...XC90(16-)/2018), but then I have a lot of bulky materials floating around the leather, headliner, sunroof, and other fragile areas. That's not ideal, even with lots of padding and bungees.

Another option, which I'm wondering about, is to have the wood stick out the back of the hatch, lower the liftgate as far as possible, and then bungee everything in place. Is that feasible? Would the vehicle complain? Any potential surprises? I only need to travel a few miles on surface streets, so I can take it easy.

I can rent a pickup truck, but I'd rather avoid that since the logistics are complicated.

Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've driven my V90 with 2x4's sticking out the back with the tailgate pulled down onto padding with a bungee holding the gate down. Other than a message that the tailgate was open there was no problem.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

That's what I hoped to read. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Can you put the plywood on the roof bars? Not sure what year you have, but if you have a newer model, you could put something soft between the roof and the plywood and then strap it down. Would probably have to run the tiedowns through the windows or doors, but that could an alternative.

I did this with a patio furniture set with my wife's Rav4. I only had to go like 5 miles down the road though. Didn't scratch anything either.
      2019 XC60 Fusion Red T6 R-Design | Advanced Package | Heated Steering Wheel Package | 15% Tint

I'd just get a rental truck for the day. One bit of damage saved will pay for it.

But yeah, you can do it.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Id just drive with the tailgate open. The weight of the plywood adds up quick and putting it on the roof rails would damage it if its more than a sheet or two of half inch.
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      I'd just get a rental truck for the day. One bit of damage saved will pay for it.

But yeah, you can do it.
      Uhaul. As Dfrantz said, one bad move and you are in for a bit more $$. Or ask friends who have a truck to help for beer, pizza and gas $$. If you will be doing it over and over, buy a beater truck and sell it after project is done.

(penny wise, dollar not so smart.. )

/kleks

Just a little BTW: The roof rails can carry far more weight than the specified rating. The weight rating is the 'dynamic' load, I.E. how much weight can you safely carry AND get into an accident with. If you're just toodeling down surface streets a few miles to get home you're not going to have a problem.
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

My local Home Depot rents a pickup. Something like $20 for a couple of hours. I've used it a few times for chores like this and found it well worthwhile.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kranvagn View Post
      Just a little BTW: The roof rails can carry far more weight than the specified rating. The weight rating is the 'dynamic' load, I.E. how much weight can you safely carry AND get into an accident with. If you're just toodeling down surface streets a few miles to get home you're not going to have a problem.
      So, how do you know there will be no accident "a few miles down the street"?

Rent a pick up from Home Depot and it should be easy peasy vs risqué activities...
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

I ended up driving with the liftgate bungeed. I had about 200' linear feet of lumber, a couple sheets of cut plywood, some ducts, and a bunch of miscellaneous items. No problems at all. There were no rental trucks at the time (Home Depot), but the extra hassle and $20 would have been worth the peace of mind. All's well that ends well.

Careful!!

Quote Originally Posted by cooperrf View Post
      I need to get some plywood and other building supplies home today. I measured inside the passenger area and the plywood won't completely fit without adjustments.

I don't have a roof rack. The local dealer wants more than $300 for one, which is too much for a one-time use. I can't find a non-OEM alternative at any of the local stores. Amazon can't deliver one until next week. So I'm left trying to fit the stuff into the vehicle instead of on top of it.

The plywood may fit if I can remove the headrest from the front passenger seat (#12 here: https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...XC90(16-)/2018), but then I have a lot of bulky materials floating around the leather, headliner, sunroof, and other fragile areas. That's not ideal, even with lots of padding and bungees.

Another option, which I'm wondering about, is to have the wood stick out the back of the hatch, lower the liftgate as far as possible, and then bungee everything in place. Is that feasible? Would the vehicle complain? Any potential surprises? I only need to travel a few miles on surface streets, so I can take it easy.

I can rent a pickup truck, but I'd rather avoid that since the logistics are complicated.

Any advice?
      How far are you going? With the liftgate open and car moving, exhaust fumes get sucked into the car. If you drive far enough, you're in danger.

Buy a 1996 SAAB 900 , throw away the sunroof and leather .. The Volvo is too nice? a car to be utilized for anything more than transporting several CEOs or VIPs . The Saab can do either. And, with the Saab 900 hatch, I was able to transport large things without closing the hatch, just tie it down and do not race the vehicle. BUT, please check with others about the Volvo's abilities .
      First Volvo
      2003 S60, AWD, 2.5 turbo

i remember when i had a gaming chair, 2 paintings and 5 huge ikea boxes stuffed like tetris in my C70. fun times.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

It was only a few miles. Thanks for the warning. I cracked all the windows to keep the fresh air coming in for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cooperrf View Post

Any advice?
      Invest in the roof rack. You may never know when it'll come in handy in the future. Also, if you tear carpeting, rip leather, or damage the interior, that $300 "saved" will end up costing far more to repair the damage.

Seems like the wise move is bite the bullet and get a rack.

should it be a one time thing as you say, don't go buy a roof rack. just be careful, or rent a mini van, or ask a friend.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements