How to Remove the Engine and Transmission
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How to Remove the Engine and Transmission

My 2006 S60 2.5T FWD was rear ended by an SUV, and the insurance told me to just keep the car. I want to take the engine and transmission out before I take it to the scrap yard. I have access to an engine hoist. What would I need to remove to lift the engine and transmission out? I am thinking all electrical connectors, the engine mounts, transmission mount, and CV axles. How many mounts are there and are there any that are difficult to remove?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Watch MooseTech's S40 disassembly video as part of "project Wraith". If you have access to a lift it seems dropping the engine out the bottom would be easier than lifting it.

That's my (mostly useless) contribution. Hopefully others will chime in.
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

Quote Originally Posted by Michaellong View Post
      My 2006 S60 2.5T FWD was rear ended by an SUV, and the insurance told me to just keep the car. I want to take the engine and transmission out before I take it to the scrap yard. I have access to an engine hoist. What would I need to remove to lift the engine and transmission out? I am thinking all electrical connectors, the engine mounts, transmission mount, and CV axles. How many mounts are there and are there any that are difficult to remove?
      Maybe this video from FCP Euro will help answer the engine mount question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA7qjGjg8Yc
      2002 V70 2.4 N/A. 261k miles. Totaled for the second time November 16, 2016, RIP. - "Elin"
      2004 S60 2.5T AWD (crossword hints for the bold) - "Håkan"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My understanding is they are easier out the bottom as well. Though things can be different if you're parting out other things... Once you get the "good" parts off it, you could just cut away the interfering parts of the body. All sorts of possibilities open up when the car is otherwise finished... Plus if you get it down to manageable sized pieces you can haul it to the scrap yard yourself and probably get an extra $1 per hundred... assuming you have access to a truck. Personally I've always enjoyed parting cars, if you have the time and space you can get all kinds off good stuff and separate the metals to maximize scrap value, plus you'll get more parts to help more fortunate Volvo's still on the road.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

What tool do you recommend for cutting the body up? It is something I have been thinking of doing for a while, but can't decide on the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaellong View Post
      What tool do you recommend for cutting the body up? It is something I have been thinking of doing for a while, but can't decide on the tool.
      Sawzall, probably.
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

Yeah I've chopped bodies up with a sawzall and a 12" blade, pretty much unstoppable. But the easiest way to get rid of it is to just call a scrap metal dude.

To get the motor out the top, you just need a load leveler with a hoist. The front and rear motor mount bolts are accessible from under the front of the car and the passenger side one is accessible through the wheel well. You can remove the wiring harness from the ECU box so you can leave it attached to the engine if you want. On the other hand, the more stuff you remove from the engine before pulling it out, the easier it is, both for clearance and visibility.

Scan through my C70 thread linked in my signature if you want to see photos of an engine pull. It's the prior generation car but very similar.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

I don’t see it mentioned already but my suggestion would be to take the engine/trans/axles out on the subframe.

Pretty much disconnect fuel, all electrical either properly or hack the harness apart, drain coolant and remove cooling system. Get it make a pallet and put it under the subframe. Lower car near or onto subframe on pallet. Release the spindles from the struts, undo the exhaust and four subframe bolts. Jack the car up and off the subframe and pull the whole engine & trans package out of the way. Crush the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 295k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      I don’t see it mentioned already but my suggestion would be to take the engine/trans/axles out on the subframe.

Pretty much disconnect fuel, all electrical either properly or hack the harness apart, drain coolant and remove cooling system. Get it make a pallet and put it under the subframe. Lower car near or onto subframe on pallet. Release the spindles from the struts, undo the exhaust and four subframe bolts. Jack the car up and off the subframe and pull the whole engine & trans package out of the way. Crush the rest.

Above is the way to do it. Watched a few guys do this at the wreckyard in all of 45min. Very straightforward when you are less worried about some of the harnesses, lines, etc.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimemcalpine View Post
      Above is the way to do it. Watched a few guys do this at the wreckyard in all of 45min. Very straightforward when you are less worried about some of the harnesses, lines, etc.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      Yup that’s about right. Figure an hour if trying to not make a huge fluid spill mess of your driveway. Which, of course, is the right way to do it.

2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned

Yup that’s about right. Figure an hour if trying to not make a huge fluid spill mess of your driveway. Which, of course, is the right way to do it.

Yup, it comes out the same way it was originally put in at the factory. It is then simple to remove the engine and tranny from the subframe. Especially if you have a lift. Then if you want, you can put the sub frame back in and put outboard axle stubs into the wheel bearings and have a roller.

Quote Originally Posted by chefricky View Post
      Yup, it comes out the same way it was originally put in at the factory. It is then simple to remove the engine and tranny from the subframe. Especially if you have a lift. Then if you want, you can put the sub frame back in and put outboard axle stubs into the wheel bearings and have a roller.
      No need to put the axles back in. 99+ the wheel bearings are not preloaded by the axle nut and will roll just fine without coming apart.

No need to put the axles back in. 99+ the wheel bearings are not preloaded by the axle nut and will roll just fine without coming apart.

I'm with ScottishBrick on this one. I go out the bottom with a floor jack and cherry picker. Set the subframe on 2 small furniture dollies and roll it out. The 2nd time I did it, I didn't even need to reference Vida/Dice. That wouldn't work so well in the junkyard unless they will lift the car of the engine trans for you.

Also, it seems people don't like to remove the left axle. Just tap in a large screwdriver to put pressure on the inside of the axle between it and the transmission. Then use a flat crowbar on the outside.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements