Battery ran low, got some dash warnings, replaced it, now getting SRS service urgent message for pass. seat
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Battery ran low, got some dash warnings, replaced it, now getting SRS service urgent message for pass. seat

Hi folks,

I managed to fit a decent summary of my issue in the title. My battery recently crapped out. I'd suspected it was going south for a little while, and last weekend it became obvious when it barely started the car after sitting for only two days. When it finally did start, I got several warning messages on the dash for the ABS, power steering, and SRS. I put a new battery in it that day (last Sunday), and all seems to be well now, except for the SRS warning. I figured it would clear itself after a few days, but it's still there. It is apparently only the passenger side airbag that's affected, according to the warning.

I read a couple threads here about SRS warnings, but I haven't seen anything yet about them caused by low voltage. I figure my options are: 1. wait it out longer, 2. troubleshoot the connections to the passenger seat, or 3. go straight to the dealer for a reset. I read that disconnecting any SRS wiring will cause issues, so I'm a little apprehensive about messing with any wiring, especially considering the fact that there was no issue until the battery lost most of its charge. On the flip side, I'm tempted check for a short somewhere that could have led to the battery's demise, and if I'm going that route, then the passenger side SRS wiring is a prime suspect due to the warning message... If anyone has some guidance to at least point me in the right direction, that'd be sweet!

Thanks,
      Matt
      Matt N

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

1 - Wait it out longer - it will be there permanently. My record is a year and a half.
      2 - Troubleshoot connections - sounds like a lot of work when you don't know if a reset will solve it or not.
      3 - Go straight to the dealer or get a volvo specific scantool to do the job. I use the AutoPhix ES610 for it. Others have favorites they can list too.

The Airbags and seatbelt srs sensors do have a history of dying on people at random times. Basically the system looks for a particular ohmage coming out of the connectors and it is usually just completely no throughput when they go bad. I have replaced 2 seatbelts and a drivers airbag when I got the car. Though you CAN send them to a website who can "fix" them. They sent me a fixed steering column sensor so they may be legit in other areas as well.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Well, I had a weak battery a couple years ago, it barely started the car and the instrument cluster became a christmas tree with all sort of messages in the DIM until I restarted the car later. Also i had to recalibrate the auto window roll up and roll down. But I didn’t had any SRS lights. When I connected the car to VIDA i had a lot of errors. After erasing all errors everything when back to normal.

First try erasing errors with VIDA or a decent scanner before messing with wire harnesses and terminals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thank you both for the info. I had VIDA on my laptop a while back, but it doesn’t seem to be working now... I have a relatively new Actron scanner too, but I think it only has OBD2 and ABS functionality. Any recommendations for an SRS scanner? I’d rather buy myself a new toy than go to the dealer.

Edit: I can get that AutoPhix scanner delivered tomorrow from Amazon, so I'm just gonna go ahead and order that one. Thanks for the tip avenger!
      Last edited by frosho; 01-12-2020 at 01:06 PM.
      Matt N

Had this happen to me.
      Only resolve was for the dealer to reset it. There was just an SRS code stored that you need to be on the dealer network to fix (I think they just reprogrammed the SRS module).

Couldn't get anything consumer grade to work, or my personal VIDA/Dice to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by frosho View Post
      I had VIDA on my laptop a while back, but it doesn’t seem to be working now...
      What better than VIDA for diagnose a P1?
      If I were you I would try to get it working again to troubleshoot the issues with the car.
      If the problem is you can’t log in to VIDA, there’s a expiration date fix here:
      https://youtu.be/bf_D-unJnS8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Facusan; 01-13-2020 at 02:09 PM.

I used the iCarsoft scanner to reset a SRS error caused by unplugging the seat module. This is an easy option if you don't want to learn Vida.
      iCarsoft i906 Compatible for Volvo/Saab OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Multi-System Engine ABS SRS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8KJHBM..._E3nhEbEPK6M56

Cheaper than that but does the same thing: Autophix ES610. Had a random seat SRS light on that I suspected came from a jostled connector, this thing reset it no problem.

Edit: that's been suggested already, I'm a bit dim
      Last edited by lunalolvo; 01-16-2020 at 09:51 AM.

At 1 Time I thought there was Tech. Bulletin about the Wiring being Stretched to Far If Routed Wrong Manner .. that should have been address years ago , but maybe someone
      Pulled Seat to Soak Up Water/Coolant ..

Clean Contacts , Reconnect , Clear Code , Test Ride ..
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements