A happy story of brakes
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

A happy story of brakes

After purchasing my 2017 XC90 T6 Momentum, I found my way to this forum And a wealth of helpful information from many of you folks. I admit, I was frightened and saddened to read so many stories of premature brake maintenance, concerned about the expenditures in my future. Consequently, I was happy to make it to my 30K mile service before having to replace my rear brake pads and even happier to have the tech tell me my front pads would probably make it to 50k!! Well, imagine my disbelief today when I went for my 50k Mile service to have the tech tell me the front pads have another 10k miles left in them, my rears aren’t even halfway down, and all my rotors are in top condition!!

I’m not sure why my experience has been so positive when so many here have had negative ones, but you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. I figured I would share my experience here to give other new owners a shred of hope..

Now if only the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes I put on at 32K miles had lasted more than 18K miles 😢

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great news. Thx for reporting in... I too, had this whole "it's gonna need early brakes" thing on mind since ordering, so there IS hope for a better outcome!
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

You know the hybrid vehicle I am trading in for my new XC90T8 has 98,000 miles and the original brakes are still on it. The pads are worn no more than 50% from new. The hybrid systems do a lot of the "braking" work until you hit a threshold of braking pressure needed, or you are below 10 mph in most cases. The regenerative aspect does a lot of the braking work and capturing the kinetic energy into battery charge. In stop an go traffic, that driving style just rips into brake wear in any car as there is constant use and no cooling time between brake applications. Imagine applying friction for 10 miles straight and in a constant manner. Ouch! The more stop and go traffic or hills you drive on when coming to a stop, the faster any brake wear will be in any vehicle, hybrid or otherwise. My Acura MDX Sport Hybrid has about 34,000 miles on it and the brakes are effectively new from a rotor quality and pad thickness perspective. I expect the same life span with this vehicle as the one I am trading in. I would imagine the same experience should present itself in the XC90T8 also. Or at least that is my expectation.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

LOL..... you should have gone with Michelin's.....

@2020XC90T8, Time will tell for both of us.

My former experience with “full hybrid AWDs” is the same as yours — I never put new brakes on either of my Lexus AWD Hybrids, and it was a generally recognized benefit of the RXh over non-hybrid RX for well more than a decade. Perhaps your research has come up with something different, but I have not yet found anything similar to my personal Lexus experience and comments from other owners, that corroborate a similar POV from multiple sources with less brake replacements being necessary between a XC90 T8 vs T6, or XC60 T8 vs T6 — there are a lot less on the road to gain that input from, I admit.

I’ll hopefully be pleasantly surprised, but there are differences with what I knew then and what I now own with mfgr hybrid implementations that all have some amount of variability on braking/regen — and IMO “time on the brake pedal”. I get that driving habits and locations influence the outcome as well. But e.g. both of my Lexus RXh were “full hybrids”, not Volvo’s “mild hybrid” implementation that changes between FWD ICE/RWD Electric-only/AWD ICE+Electric. My RXh also did more aggressive regen/braking against it’s engine/motors by default, whereas it appears T8 “B-Gear” is necessary to gain some of those same benefits. Others will shoot holes in this I’m sure, and I don’t have facts to back it up, but my theory being that with the T8 mild-hybrid implementation, especially if you don’t use “B-Gear” most of the time, your foot is likely going to be on the brake just a little more to get you to slow down, from what I am used to in my former RXh’s and BEV. As you may have read in my longer XC60 review, I started driving my T8 in “B-Gear” soon after taking delivery, both for the familiarity and to hopefully spend a little less time on the brake pedal. Ah, what little things research hounds and inquisitive minds won’t do!
      Last edited by BertL; 01-11-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Clarity
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

It kills me that the Pirelli Scorpions that Volvo sells is the one model in that range that didn’t come with a 50k+ treadwear warranty. I thought I got a deal on them, as I got the 20” wheels with the Pirellis premounted for $700, but now that I’m trying to find replacements, I’m realizing how limited and expensive the 20” tire options are. Might end up going back to the 19s 😞.

I too am on the original rear pads @ 40,000 miles. My front pads were swapped out under warranty at 28k miles when they replaced my front rotors under warranty for warping, but they had plenty of pads left at that point too. In my case I believe it’s because many of the miles I put on the vehicle are highway miles. A lot of driving with limited braking between fill-ups. I work out of my house so I don’t commute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

BertL, I think you and I will get along swimmingly. I am very much looking forward to "researching" starting in 6 weeks (hopefully). I assume it will be "born" in the next couple of weeks for an end of Feb delivery.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements