40k Mile Service/Software Updates
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just got a quote from my dealer for the 40k mile service for $675!?!? I know that these prices are normal for BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc. but Volvo is a ‘premium’ brand not a luxury brand. Dealer wasn’t overly specific over the phone about what was being done. I also found out that they won’t do a software update unless it is ‘warranty or repair related and required by Volvo’. I even offered to pay for the update since one hasn’t been done since the car shipped in early 2018. However, they told me it wasn’t allowed unless there was a legitimate ‘problem’ that only a software update could fix. Does anyone have 40k mile service pricing & details or know how to get a software update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      CURRENT
      2018 Audi S7
      2018 Volvo XC90 R-Design w/ B&W, AIR, HUD

"Hakan Samuelsson, Volvo Cars' chief executive, said this month that the company wants to start a conversation about whether car makers have the right or maybe even the obligation to install technology in cars that changes their owners' behavior. Now that such technology is available to use, this question becomes even more important."

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

$90 or so for a DICE cable, $80 or so for a 3 day VIDA subscription. Don't know if the updates cost more on top of that.
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

Florida - which dealer refuses software update ?

(I am on Treasure coast, and want to know whom to avoid...)

/kleks

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Try a different dealer. The latest about software update is, as long as dealer has VIDA WiFi installed, Volvo will cover one software update at annual service till end of 2020.

As to what is done for 40k service, you can find out in scheduled maintenance in user manual.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 01-11-2020 at 03:03 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Try a different dealer. The latest about software update is, as long as dealer has VIDA WiFi installed, Volvo will cover one software update at annual service till end of 2020.

As to what is done for 40k service, you can find out in scheduled maintenance in user manual.

+1 ^
      Inform the service adviser to document on your work ticket that you want the Service 2.0 update applied. Ask for a labor estimate If there are neither error codes nor warranty work that necessitates a total software update which would be covered by warranty.

It does sound like the service person is misinformed. Have you talked with the service director?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 01-11-2020 at 06:08 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

BTW, Volvo of Frederick, MD has nice on-line pricing tool for maintenance services on Volvos:

https://www.volvofrederick.com/maintenance-menu.htm

40k service is $687.41

7 services (40...100k miles) total is $3061.44, so Steingold prepaid services save you 1/6th, or 2 minor services...

/kleks

Dupe
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 01-11-2020 at 06:09 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Forum Sponsor
      Yup, our Prepaid Maintenance plans are very popular and will lock in huge savings. Also, no increased labor rates or sales tax.

Click here: https://vip.steingold.com/product/Vo...&category_id=4

Pretty sure most, if not all, dealers have pricing online now. Makes it easy to see what is included and shop around if you have multiple dealers in your area. A 40k is basically an oil change, air filter, cabin filter and brake fluid flush.

They should be doing the software with the service though.

Quote Originally Posted by silent-circuit View Post
      $90 or so for a DICE cable, $80 or so for a 3 day VIDA subscription. Don't know if the updates cost more on top of that.
      Wait there' a way to update our software without visiting the dealer? Care to share more details?

Quote Originally Posted by robogar View Post
      Wait there' a way to update our software without visiting the dealer? Care to share more details?
      Did you not read his post? You need the DICE interface to plug the vehicle into your computer. You also need a VIDA subscription, which costs money. Some updates are free, but others you'll have to pay for, separately. On top of that you need a compatible computer. Most of the ebay and grey-market interfaces are old/hacked/modified and they can be pretty weird with what system specs will or will not work. Personally, I wouldn't trust such an interface plugging into my car.

I lucked out at my 30,000 mile service. I was having intermittent wonkynous with the SENSUS. They did a total system reflash and update. It has cured, knock on wood, the wonkynous that was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Did you not read his post? You need the DICE interface to plug the vehicle into your computer. You also need a VIDA subscription, which costs money. Some updates are free, but others you'll have to pay for, separately. On top of that you need a compatible computer. Most of the ebay and grey-market interfaces are old/hacked/modified and they can be pretty weird with what system specs will or will not work. Personally, I wouldn't trust such an interface plugging into my car.
      I have an 06, so I can get away with the old cables and the "leaked" version of VIDA2014, but your car being new, I imagine it may be a different process. I'd recommend reading up on DICE/VIDA for modern Volvos for the DIYer.

Would offer more help but I'm still learning myself and most of what I've learned wouldn't apply to your car anyway.
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

Quote Originally Posted by Sensus15 View Post
      Just got a quote from my dealer for the 40k mile service for $675!?!? I know that these prices are normal for BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc. but Volvo is a ‘premium’ brand not a luxury brand. Dealer wasn’t overly specific over the phone about what was being done. I also found out that they won’t do a software update unless it is ‘warranty or repair related and required by Volvo’. I even offered to pay for the update since one hasn’t been done since the car shipped in early 2018. However, they told me it wasn’t allowed unless there was a legitimate ‘problem’ that only a software update could fix. Does anyone have 40k mile service pricing & details or know how to get a software update?

I made online appointment for 40k service for $675 that was shown as the cost. When I brought the car in, Service Asso gave me estimate at $1000. I said it was supposed to be $675 and he said oh you want the online 40k service. He tried but really couldn't explain the difference. Also the work order for mechanics said Note Customer Selected $675 service. I suspect so it would total $675 at the end not $1000.

I've decided to try another dealer, now I don't trust the one in Pasadena.

Quote Originally Posted by sdedson View Post

I made online appointment for 40k service for $675 that was shown as the cost. When I brought the car in, Service Asso gave me estimate at $1000. I said it was supposed to be $675 and he said oh you want the online 40k service. He tried but really couldn't explain the difference. Also the work order for mechanics said Note Customer Selected $675 service. I suspect so it would total $675 at the end not $1000.

I've decided to try another dealer, now I don't trust the one in Pasadena.
      Yeah that's shady. But some dealers add their own recommendations to services. Online ones are from the manual and the dealer cannot change what is included. The dealer might have their own that includes more, like a coolant flush, rotate and balance, alignment, etc.

Holy ****....Volvo wants $983 on 120K to change spark plugs and is SMOKING crack wanting $2100 at 150K to change the timing belt....

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Holy ****....Volvo wants $983 on 120K to change spark plugs and is SMOKING crack wanting $2100 at 150K to change the timing belt....
      Prices vary from dealer to dealer. A 120k is more than just plugs. A 150k is more than just a timing belt.

But in general, most services are over priced. It is usually less to just buy the replaced items a la carte. And before some genius starts on how it's less to do it yourself, save it. It's always cheaper to do anything yourself.

DICE is for old model Volvo cars not for SPA platform
      http://workshopsupportguide.volvocar...unication.aspx

Need this + VIDA subscription

https://www.obdinnovations.com/voe-o...icles-9513108/

I remember when a member of this forum "Gunshow" ( Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner) wrote in that Volvo service is twice cheaper than Audi service and that Volvo software upgrades are free and Audi charges for it

The price of the oil (Castrol Edge Professional) change for the Q5 and XC60 is the same, I paid about $ 220 for the oil, oil filter and replacement for both models in service Audi / Volvo
      Last edited by BigBang; 01-12-2020 at 11:25 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      DICE is for old model Volvo cars not for SPA platform

Need this + VIDA subscription

https://www.obdinnovations.com/voe-o...icles-9513108/

I remember when a member of this forum "Gunshow" ( Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner) wrote in that Volvo service is twice cheaper than Audi service and that Volvo software upgrades are free and Audi charges for it

The price of the oil (Castrol Edge Professional) change for the Q5 and XC60 is the same, I paid about $ 220 for the oil, oil filter and replacement for both models in service
      Good to know.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Prices vary from dealer to dealer. A 120k is more than just plugs. A 150k is more than just a timing belt.

But in general, most services are over priced. It is usually less to just buy the replaced items a la carte. And before some genius starts on how it's less to do it yourself, save it. It's always cheaper to do anything yourself.
      Most of the items listed on a 120K and 150k aside from those things mentioned are an oil change and lots of visual inspections.

Or am I incorrect?

120k should be a 40k plus plugs.

150k should be timing components, drive belt, drive belt tensioner and idlers I believe.

The price of the oil (Castrol Edge Professional) change for the Q5 and XC60 is the same, I paid about $ 220 for the oil, oil filter and replacement for both models in service Audi / Volvo
      You’re getting taken to the cleaners if you’re paying $220 for an oil change on an XC60. My dealer is asking around $120 and even that is a huge profit for them.

After 120k miles, most owner will only do the required maintenance like timing belt and related, spark plugs maybe. They won't want to touch anything else unless broken.

I bet many old cars will be sold around or beyond 150k without timing belt service done.

Transmission fluid is another thing that people always argue how often to replace.

You’re getting taken to the cleaners if you’re paying $220 for an oil change on an XC60. My dealer is asking around $120 and even that is a huge profit for them.

Oil prices in Europe are much higher than in the US
      Some of the oils recommended by Audi / Volvo are 12-20 Euros for 1 liter + oil filter + cost of oil and filter replacement work
      Of course, the price of oil in authorized services is always expensive, you can find cheaper oil on the market

Only 6 liters of oil costs 108 EUR which is $ 120 and ......................................I hope you understand that there are different prices for different markets

Interestingly another member on the forum says 1 hour of work in Volvo service is $ 125, someone is lying, he or you
      You say the cost of replacing oil and filters with labor is $ 120
      Last edited by BigBang; 01-12-2020 at 06:35 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I know that these prices are normal for BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc. but Volvo is a ‘premium’ brand not a luxury brand
      Volvo is a luxury brand, now. Unless, you consider the above brands premium as well and luxury would be Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Volvo is a luxury brand, now. Unless, you consider the above brands premium as well and luxury would be Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc.
      But how long do we need to bear with luxury car dealership that only offers Lyft ride, no loaner car? Never understand how they manage to operate like this. If they can't make enough money, maybe just close their business.

But how long do we need to bear with luxury car dealership that only offers Lyft ride, no loaner car? Never understand how they manage to operate like this. If they can't make enough money, maybe just close their business.

Market will eventually determine the fates of any dealership. The largest Mercedes dealer in San Diego offers you a loaner but will also charge you $30 per usage. Imagine, you just bought an S63 (over $155k) and you need service and you get charged $30 (or you can go pound sand or call someone to come and fetch you)...
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Market will eventually determine the fates of any dealership. The largest Mercedes dealer in San Diego offers you a loaner but will also charge you $30 per usage. Imagine, you just bought an S63 (over $155k) and you need service and you get charged $30 (or you can go pound sand or call someone to come and fetch you)...
      $30 for a day for some new model is still better than a whatever Lyft car. If the Lyft car was a SPA/CMA Volvo I'd be happy too.

Hey, how is the Volvo car sharing service going? Maybe they can help find someone with XC40 to give me a ride. Or I can pay some nominal fee...

Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 01-12-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Interestingly another member on the forum says 1 hour of work in Volvo service is $ 125, someone is lying, he or you
      You say the cost of replacing oil and filters with labor is $ 120
      Those aren’t mutually-exclusive statements. An oil change doesn’t take an hour. It doesn’t even take 30 minutes for a dealer. So even at full-labor rates it’s less than $60. Furthermore, dealers aren’t paying master technicians to do oil changes. They’ve got lube-techs that are making $8-12 an hour and all they do is oil changes and tire rotations.

They WANT to be a luxury brand. I WANT them to be, as well... But they aren’t there, yet.

But how long do we need to bear with luxury car dealership that only offers Lyft ride, no loaner car? Never understand how they manage to operate like this.
      This is one of the big reasons they are not “luxury” yet. Even Acura is often chastised as being not-quite-luxury, yet when I walk into the Acura dealer I get offered pastry, soda, specialty coffee drinks, free loaners, private workspaces if I want to work while waiting... None of the four Volvo dealers in my area offer that. There’s usually a coffee machine, vending machine that costs money, and if no one is working a deal you can use a chair and table in the open sales floor. But good luck having privacy, and loaners cost money — which makes them rental cars and not loaners, in my book.

If Volvo wants to become a luxury brand they need to not only offer all these things, but maybe a bit more to EARN the status.

Not all dealers are the same regarding lube techs, loaners, Uber/Lyft, waiting room amenities, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Not all dealers are the same regarding lube techs, loaners, Uber/Lyft, waiting room amenities, etc.
      ^This!

Why are people talking about dealers like they're corporate owned with universal offerings. Just because your local dealer skimps on things, doesn't mean they all do. Being in Boston, we're lucky because there's over a half dozen Volvo dealers within the greater Boston area. If you're in no man's land where there's just one dealer, and they're a 2 hour drive from you, then they know they got you.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      ^This!

Why are people talking about dealers like they're corporate owned with universal offerings. Just because your local dealer skimps on things, doesn't mean they all do. Being in Boston, we're lucky because there's over a half dozen Volvo dealers within the greater Boston area. If you're in no man's land where there's just one dealer, and they're a 2 hour drive from you, then they know they got you.
      But my experience is from my local dealer. Your wonderful great dealer can't help me.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

Those aren’t mutually-exclusive statements. An oil change doesn’t take an hour. It doesn’t even take 30 minutes for a dealer. So even at full-labor rates it’s less than $60. Furthermore, dealers aren’t paying master technicians to do oil changes. They’ve got lube-techs that are making $8-12 an hour and all they do is oil changes and tire rotations.
      However, back to the price, oil is $ 120 in Europe, so your cost of replacing oil, oil filler and labor is impossible in Europe for 120$
      Oil change in Europe does not work via rod and suction, but removes the protection and unscrews the oil sump plug

Removal and installation of the engine protection with changing the oil filter can not be done for 15 minutes. Formula 1 teams may be doing it for you, so this is possible

It must be clear to you that there are different prices for different markets, the US is not the rest of the world
      Here's an example for prices
      US
      Volvo XC60 R-Design T6 AWD: Total $ 55,290
      21" R-Design Wheels $1,000
      Four-C Adaptive Air Suspension $1,800

EU
      Volvo XC60 R-Design T6 AWD: price EUR 65.180 (72.500$)
      21" R-DESIGN 1.980 € ($2.201)
      Four-C Adaptive Air Suspension 2.280 € ( $2.540)

Or a Volvo XC60 in Singapore costs $ 175,000

So your comment on the $ 220 service price has nothing to do with the rest of the world

PS: I wish the oil and filter replacement were $ 120 in Europe, but it's impossible
      Last edited by BigBang; 01-13-2020 at 09:32 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

That's not getting taken to the cleaners .....

This is getting taken to the cleaners .....

"Three years or 45,000km of servicing for the S60, V60 and XC40 is priced at $1595, and it'll cost $1795 to maintain the petrol XC60 and XC90. Servicing for the XC60, XC90 and V90 Cross Country diesels costs $1895." Capped price servicing/

Comparing a like for like maintenance service and adjusted for the exchange rate, that's USD $406 vs $214 or 90% more again. Minimum wage differences are significant (they are double those in the US) so that's not the difference. It does include a software update. As the link shows, other brands are up there but Volvo middle of the pack.

Its too early for me to comment on the current dealer service experience. Someone should start a thread on the quality of the coffee ........
      Last edited by pauljloz; 01-13-2020 at 07:31 AM.

After 120k miles, most owner will only do the required maintenance like timing belt and related, spark plugs maybe. They won't want to touch anything else unless broken.

I bet many old cars will be sold around or beyond 150k without timing belt service done.

Transmission fluid is another thing that people always argue how often to replace.

I think I'll have dealer do the timing belt at 150K assuming that's not the bulk of the 2K. And the rest done elsewhere. Timing belt a pretty major service and would prefer dealer do it. Far as spark plugs, anyone can do that service and for far less than $983. Will price dealer cost when I get there.

Prices are outrageous, at least at the MD dealer I saw. Maybe my local pricing is better since MD is an expensive market. I hope so!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast