40k Mile Service/Software Updates - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Quote Originally Posted by njlime View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      Volvo gives free loaners here as well. I had an S60 loaner for 3 months til my XC60 arrived.
      ...the dealer will come to our house to pick up the vehicle for service & leave a loaner, then return it when service is completed. That's just part of market conditions & Lincoln's attempt to rebuild their brand.
      Volvo is piloting that as well in some markets I believe.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Other than the software update, go third party.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Volvo is piloting that as well in some markets I believe.
      been having that service since 2009
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

For what it's worth, not all BMW dealers have the same loaner policy. It is up to the dealer. Some only offer loaners if you bought your car there. So I guess they aren't luxury
      No one is knocking Volvo. They make a great, safe, product. Hell, the 2019 redesign is a game changer. No more cheap feeling dash board. More leather and upscale interior look. And of course upgraded Sensus.

But Dealership experience is where there's room to grow. Which is why the Autocheck probably labeled / labels Volvo as near upscale, at least until 2018. Neither 2019 or 2020s Reports Ive found (Carfax or Autocheck) on demo / loaners have data describing brand listing. So there's no way to say if brand listing changed from near upscale to upscale as of yet.

Like any franchise, BMW, Volvo, etc, Corporate sets a minimum standard and its up to each dealer to achieve and exceed said standard.

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post

Volvo has been and still is a luxury / premium brand. Whatever you may call it.
      Not to mention, the best choice in terms of pricing, value, safety and quality for a family car. At least one of the best choices out there, so we don't startle any haters.
      Agreed. My 2008 Volvo S80 was certainly luxurious in look, feel, comfort and features. The car was decked out with all the technology, including adaptive cruise control. It had the look with real wood rather than GM or Ford appliqués. And the seats were second to none. As compared to my V90, the only thing it was missing was the cameras (they came out in 2010) and the Sensus infotainment System. My Mom always commented how sheik the car looked.
      Last edited by rdr854; 01-15-2020 at 01:33 AM.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

<snip> .... A 40k is basically an oil change, air filter, cabin filter and brake fluid flush. They should be doing the software with the service though.
      I paid $312 at Weaver Brothers Volvo in Raleigh, NC for 40K but I asked them to not do the engine and cabin filter because I felt I could do that myself easily. I also had a 20% off coupon (amounted to $67 discount). This did include the '2.0 Software Update per CIP 08-2018'. Still seemed pricey to me though. Biggest charge was labor -- 1.7 hours @ $138/hr and they also charged $11/qt for the Castrol Edge Pro 5w-30 oil (Walmart sells 5qt for $25 in my area). So, it was oil change + brake fluid flush and I suppose some inspections. I was a little aggravated because they did the ' Multipoint Inspection' sheet and marked wiper fluid as GREEN when the low fluid light was clearly illuminated. Makes me wonder if they really checked any of the rest of it! When I was in the Navy, we called this 'gundecking the logs' (marking off without really checking) and it was pretty serious if you were caught doing it. I probably should have made a fuss over it, but I didn't - I'd been there long enough waiting and needed to get back to work.

I did do the filters myself, and one thing I noticed -- I bought the Wix WP2153 cabin air filter, and while it is OK for sure, it is MUCH less sturdy than what was in there as OE from Volvo. The old filter was pretty clean when I pulled it out. It's a bit of a hassle to change due to how it slides in at a very odd angle, but not too bad overall. I almost just put the old one back in, but since I had the new one sitting there, I went ahead and exchanged it.
      Last edited by RandyNC; 01-15-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by njlime View Post
      Recently moved from NJ to Nashville TN. Dealers in both locations offer FREE loaners, although the NJ dealership had nicer waiting area, snacks, etc.
      As a point of reference, my wife has a Lincoln MKC. While not as comfortable or luxurious as my XC60, it is a nice little vehicle & the dealer will come to our house to pick up the vehicle for service & leave a loaner, then return it when service is completed. That's just part of market conditions & Lincoln's attempt to rebuild their brand.
      The Volvo dealer we use for service does that as well. We have been using them for over 10 years and have been very pleased with the service. I have never stepped foot in the dealership itself.
      Current: 2018 V90 T6 | 2020 V60 T8 P*
      Previous: 1972 1800E | 1983 240 DL | 2005 V70R | 2007 C70 T5

I didn't really think about it until we entered the Volvo arena, but its surprising the vast birth dealerships are given. I assumed the brand would coax them inline for consistency.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

Quote Originally Posted by RandyNC View Post
      and they also charged $11/qt for the Castrol Edge Pro 5w-30 oil (Walmart sells 5qt for $25 in my area). So, it was oil change + brake fluid flush and I suppose some inspections. .
      Why Castrol Edge Pro 5w-30 ?

Volvo recommends Castrol Edge Pro 0w-20

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

When I took car to service I simply told the dealer that sensus was going black sometimes. Only way I could get the last software upgrade. The dealer actually won't mind doing it, as long as they can pass the cost to Volvo, under the guise of warranty....

You still have to have a paid subscription to VIDA to do any updates even on the older models.

Quote Originally Posted by silent-circuit View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by robogar View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by silent-circuit View Post
      $90 or so for a DICE cable, $80 or so for a 3 day VIDA subscription. Don't know if the updates cost more on top of that.
      Wait there' a way to update our software without visiting the dealer? Care to share more details?
      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by robogar View Post
      Wait there' a way to update our software without visiting the dealer? Care to share more details?
      Did you not read his post? You need the DICE interface to plug the vehicle into your computer. You also need a VIDA subscription, which costs money. Some updates are free, but others you'll have to pay for, separately. On top of that you need a compatible computer. Most of the ebay and grey-market interfaces are old/hacked/modified and they can be pretty weird with what system specs will or will not work. Personally, I wouldn't trust such an interface plugging into my car.
      I have an 06, so I can get away with the old cables and the "leaked" version of VIDA2014, but your car being new, I imagine it may be a different process. I'd recommend reading up on DICE/VIDA for modern Volvos for the DIYer.

Would offer more help but I'm still learning myself and most of what I've learned wouldn't apply to your car anyway.

When I purchased my V60 they originally said the service was $675 but after going to another local Volvo dealer closer to home for the 40k service, it came in right around $400. Dealer even had a coupon that I used to bring cost down some more. No software update, though. Just filter and oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by btlav View Post
      When I purchased my V60 they originally said the service was $675 but after going to another local Volvo dealer closer to home for the 40k service, it came in right around $400. Dealer even had a coupon that I used to bring cost down some more. No software update, though. Just filter and oil changes.
      Very interestingly, another forum member says he paid $120

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      You’re getting taken to the cleaners if you’re paying $220 for an oil change on an XC60. My dealer is asking around $120 and even that is a huge profit for them.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

40k Mile Service/Software Updates

A full 40K Service involves more than a simple oil change. Just compare apples and apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 01-15-2020 at 03:59 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I think ur a bit lucky for that price. I spent close to 8 or 900 and on my 60k they wanted somewhere over 3500 for the service the auxiliary battery and breaks and tires. I said no to the tires because I get them at discount tire and I said no to the battery(because I hate the auto start stop) and no to the brakes. 3k miles later I ended spending Close to 1500 for the brakes and the auxiliary battery(Apparently the auxiliary battery is tied into power steering) &#x1f3fb;

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      A full 40K Service involves more than a simple oil change. Just compare apples and apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      I may not have read or understood well because English is my third language. Sorry about that

Quote Originally Posted by btlav View Post
      No software update, though. Just filter and oil changes.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

while some may think the yearly service is a checklist of things and an oil/filter change.. I can assure you, a yearly service is far more than that.
      maybe other brands / dealer garages handle this differently, however there's a lot going on.. not to mention the liability of the service provider, should anything go wrong.
      Last edited by stocis; 01-16-2020 at 08:50 AM.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Why Castrol Edge Pro 5w-30 ?

Volvo recommends Castrol Edge Pro 0w-20

Depends upon the model year and market. For the older SPA models in the US, the recommendation is 5-W30. Later, it was apparently changed to 0W-20.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

You also want to make sure that even though they offer loaners they don’t have stipulations on what car insurance you have. My dealership does not give loaners to people who have progressive or Geico which I think is bogus but they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      But how long do we need to bear with luxury car dealership that only offers Lyft ride, no loaner car? Never understand how they manage to operate like this. If they can't make enough money, maybe just close their business.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      I guess it depends on the dealership. I took my 2018 S90 to my dealership for an issue with the window tint and they loaned me a nice SC90. My dealership in Phoenix always lends you a close to new loaner vehicle when you take your car in for service.
      2018 S90 T5 Momentum

The Volvo Store in Winter Park, FL has good prices. 40,000 mile service = $399.95. 50,000=$99.95, 60,000=$469.00.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3