40k Mile Service/Software Updates - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Market will eventually determine the fates of any dealership. The largest Mercedes dealer in San Diego offers you a loaner but will also charge you $30 per usage. Imagine, you just bought an S63 (over $155k) and you need service and you get charged $30 (or you can go pound sand or call someone to come and fetch you)...
      That's not necessarily true. Take a food desert for instance. The only grocery store in town can name their price and most certainly do. Markets where there's only one dealer within the vicinity can get away skimping. They've got a captive audience of Volvo owners who most likely don't want to drive hours to reach the next dealer. The only market factor that may put pressure on the dealership is if people think the lobby experience warranty moving to another brand.

Heck, where I live, there are multiple dealers in my state, but none close together.

1. Local one offers Cookies, Sometimes Bananas / Apple, and water in the lobby. Lobby has some leather bench chairs and a T.V. - No Loaners - Shuttle Ride ONLY

2. Preferred Dealer (80 miles / each way - 160 Roundtrip) - Lobby with Water, some cheap snacks, vending machine, leather bench chair, TV) - Offers Loaners.

Also another nearby nevet been to it.

3. There are two dealers in one area - ~50 miles and another about ~70 miles. Been to one of those a single time. Can't remember experience.

4. Several dealers 2-4 hrs north. Again visited one when hunting for a car but can't comment on lobby experience.

Point here is that markets like mine can get away with a lot, unless people are going to be driving to another dealer. For many, going 1-2 hours each way just isn't feasible. I drive 1.5 hrs each way to reach preferred dealer. Their lobby isn't impressive, but their service department is TOP NOTCH. And unlike local, they do offer loaners, so I don't have to sit there staring at the T.V. I can go about town (see movie, get food, etc) and come back later.

Local one is so damn cheap, they'll shuttle ride you home....When their driver is free.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-13-2020 at 10:39 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Pretty sure most, if not all, dealers have pricing online now. Makes it easy to see what is included and shop around if you have multiple dealers in your area. A 40k is basically an oil change, air filter, cabin filter and brake fluid flush.

They should be doing the software with the service though.
      I counted 11 Volvo Dealers in my state. Only two offer pricing online, and these two are in the same franchise. Checked the others and you're only able to schedule service and see service specials. No pricing break down.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Why are people talking about dealers like they're corporate owned with universal offerings. Just because your local dealer skimps on things, doesn't mean they all do. Being in Boston, we're lucky because there's over a half dozen Volvo dealers within the greater Boston area. If you're in no man's land where there's just one dealer, and they're a 2 hour drive from you, then they know they got you.
      Because Volvo corporate sets the minimum standard that all dealers must comply with. If your dealer goes above and beyond then I'm happy for you. It doesn't help me, however. The four dealers in my area (and that's allowing for an hour drive, each way, ugh) all don't offer jack for ammenities. And yes, that is ultimately the fault of Volvo corporate and it will ultimately damage Volvo as a brand. My wife's car is an Infiniti and they're mandated, at the corporate level, for having free loaners and other amenities. It absolutely makes the experience better and it improves the brand image.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      But my experience is from my local dealer. Your wonderful great dealer can't help me.
      Exactly.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Because Volvo corporate sets the minimum standard that all dealers must comply with. If your dealer goes above and beyond then I'm happy for you. It doesn't help me, however. The four dealers in my area (and that's allowing for an hour drive, each way, ugh) all don't offer jack for ammenities. And yes, that is ultimately the fault of Volvo corporate and it will ultimately damage Volvo as a brand. My wife's car is an Infiniti and they're mandated, at the corporate level, for having free loaners and other amenities. It absolutely makes the experience better and it improves the brand image.
      My point was that those dealers are doing the minimum possible. Not all, even premium brands, have free or widely available loaners. Particularly if you're talking about smaller volume brands, like Volvo in certain regions, a dealer can't afford to have cars on the lot that are depreciated as loaners.

And of course Infiniti mandates it....they have a massive backlog of unsold inventory and DESPERATELY need to get people in the seats of new models to maybe actually buy them. I'm not hating on Infiniti, just pointing out their (and Nissan more generally) situation.

My point was that those dealers are doing the minimum possible. Not all, even premium brands, have free or widely available loaners. Particularly if you're talking about smaller volume brands, like Volvo in certain regions, a dealer can't afford to have cars on the lot that are depreciated as loaners.

And of course Infiniti mandates it....they have a massive backlog of unsold inventory and DESPERATELY need to get people in the seats of new models to maybe actually buy them. I'm not hating on Infiniti, just pointing out their (and Nissan more generally) situation.
      Several dealers around here co-branded. Meaning you have a Volvo, BMW, etc sharing the same building, because Volvo isn't a high volume brand. However, Volvo Dealers (franchised) offering shuttle rides instead of loaners doesn't exude luxury. And the solution might not be all that easy.

Volvo could mandate ALL DEALERS must have loaners, X snacks and Lounge Experience, etc. And while higher volume Volvo Dealerships might be able to easily absorb costs, smaller franchises may not. Still, it might be worth Volvo saying any dealer making over X revenue from Volvo or Selling over X Volvo Vehicles are mandated to offer X experience. At least that'd be a great start towards improving customer experience over a transitional period.

Acura gives free loaners in my area.
      Mercedes gives free loaners in my area.
      Lexus gives free loaners in my area.

Those brands aren't hurting like Infiniti is.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Several dealers around here co-branded. Meaning you have a Volvo, BMW, etc sharing the same building, because Volvo isn't a high volume brand. However, Volvo Dealers (franchised) offering shuttle rides instead of loaners doesn't exude luxury. And the solution might not be all that easy.

Volvo could mandate ALL DEALERS must have loaners, X snacks and Lounge Experience, etc. And while higher volume Volvo Dealerships might be able to easily absorb costs, smaller franchises may not. Still, it might be worth Volvo saying any dealer making over X revenue from Volvo or Selling over X Volvo Vehicles are mandated to offer X experience. At least that'd be a great start towards improving customer experience over a transitional period.
      Volvo gives free loaners here as well. I had an S60 loaner for 3 months til my XC60 arrived.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander

Acura gives free loaners in my area.
      Mercedes gives free loaners in my area.
      Lexus gives free loaners in my area.

Those brands aren't hurting like Infiniti is.
      They also sell more volume, so can have more vehicles on the lot to allow for some percentage to be loaners. Volvo is a relatively low volume seller, and doesn't have the benefit of Honda, as Acura does, to balance out sales volumes.

I am not disagreeing with you that it's certainly nice to have free loaners, and that it is in keeping with "premium" mindset. Just that the economies of scale are a reality when it comes to Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      Volvo gives free loaners here as well. I had an S60 loaner for 3 months til my XC60 arrived.
      It varies by location. Some offer Shuttle Rides and other dealers provide Loaners. Again, a franchise discrepancy where consistency among Volvo varies. Making it hard to argue luxury across the board.

Volvo is trying to compete with other luxury brands whereas they previously were not. They can't just flip a switch and mandate all dealers have a fleet of loaners. That takes time and money.

Sales has been growing. As they sell more cars and dealers are making more money, then Volvo can tighten the clamps on things like loaners and free granola bars.

Anyhow, from the busy reception desk, I don't see my local dealer would afford for a fleet of loaner cars parked in their small parking lot for so many service visitors every day.

Maybe a Lyft ride in a Volvo car is the best we can wish.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

My dealer just gave me a 2020 S60 with 900 miles on it for a loaner. They have 4 different coffees, tea, bagels, cookies, and Eskimo Ice cream. They also have a soda fountain machine. Large flat screen LED TV, plenty of seating.

I was surprised how nice the service area was for the dealer I use in Maryland. At first I thought it was just 1 small room....then I walked around and it was multiple rooms broken off into to different areas..TV room....work area with desks...another lounge....Was quite nice and modern....On short notice they were able to give me a S60 T5....otherwise they would have called me a Lyft....
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Volvo is trying to compete with other luxury brands whereas they previously were not. They can't just flip a switch and mandate all dealers have a fleet of loaners. That takes time and money.
      Money is exactly what Geely has been providing.

Volvo corporate could mandate dealers provide loaners, and they could provide incentives to the dealers to assist with building those fleets, as most other manufacturers do.

Sales has been growing. As they sell more cars and dealers are making more money, then Volvo can tighten the clamps on things like loaners and free granola bars.
      Correct, which I argued above that lesser volume dealers may not be able to "absorb" a Corporate Mandated change. However, this transitional period where Volvo wants to compete in the luxury market then leaves inconsistency from dealer to dealer. The source of people's complaints and grumblings here.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-13-2020 at 06:05 PM.

This thread has reminded me that I need to see if the dealer we're buying the new car from has loaners. It would be nice since they are closer timewise than Sandberg but if not we may end up going through Sandberg since we've used their loaners before. Something to ask about when we schedule our first maintenance.

They WANT to be a luxury brand. I WANT them to be, as well... But they aren’t there, yet.

This is one of the big reasons they are not “luxury” yet. Even Acura is often chastised as being not-quite-luxury, yet when I walk into the Acura dealer I get offered pastry, soda, specialty coffee drinks, free loaners, private workspaces if I want to work while waiting... None of the four Volvo dealers in my area offer that. .
      Sorry to break this to you but your standards for determining how a brand is interpreted as "luxury" is different from what the experts use, but that's your right to do so.

Here you go --> https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/

https://www.thetoptens.com/luxury-car-brands/
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Sorry to break this to you but your standards for determining how a brand is interpreted as "luxury" is different from what the experts use, but that's your right to do so.

Semantics but Autocheck defines Volvo as "Near Luxury".

Who is "Autocheck"? Oh, a paid VIN search site for used cars; like CarFax, definitely an "authority" on determining what a luxury brand is!
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Who is "Autocheck"? Oh, a paid VIN search site for used cars; like CarFax, definitely an "authority" on determining what a luxury brand is!
      Ironic that you chastise MyVolvoS60 for using Autocheck (at least a car-related company/site) while you post links to "usnews.com" and "thetoptens.com" which ring around a -37 out of 100 for "authoritative" on automotive issues.

Ironic that you chastise MyVolvoS60 for using Autocheck (at least a car-related company/site) while you post links to "usnews.com" and "thetoptens.com" which ring around a -37 out of 100 for "authoritative" on automotive issues.
      News organizations deal with brands based on new car sales and/or status. CarFax and Autocheck deal with pre-owned car data and in that field, the SPA-platform cars are just starting to permeate the luxury arena.
      If we had this conversation 4-5 yrs ago, before the current XC90 arrived, I would be in agreement with your assessment of the Volvo brand.

News organizations deal with brands based on new car sales and/or status. CarFax and Autocheck deal with pre-owned car data and in that field, the SPA-platform cars are just starting to permeate the luxury arena.
      If we had this conversation 4-5 yrs ago, before the current XC90 arrived, I would be in agreement with your assessment of the Volvo brand.
      Seriously? So those 19 and 20 Demo / loaners getting CPO'd and coming off the lot with a few thousand miles don't count as legitimate sample sizes, huh? Interesting....

Guess Autocheck and Carfax have just as little authority to declare Volvo as near luxury as us news? Or wait, since they're your sources anything running contrary lacks credibility?

Near luxury isn't an insult by any means. But Volvo still has leaps to make in dealer and post sales experience .

Lack of across the board loaners and lobbies that range dramatically need rectified before I'd throw Volvo in with Porsche, Mercedes. Bmw, etc
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-13-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Seriously? So those 19 and 20 Demo / loaners getting CPO'd and coming off the lot with a few thousand miles don't count as legitimate sample sizes, huh? Interesting....

Guess Autocheck and Carfax have just as little authority to declare Volvo as near luxury as us news? Or wait, since they're your sources anything running contrary lacks credibility?

Near luxury isn't an insult by any means. But Volvo still has leaps to make in dealer and post sales experience .

Lack of across the board loaners and lobbies that range dramatically need rectified before I'd throw Volvo in with Porsche, Mercedes. Bmw, etc
      That's certainly your option and opinion, but that's not to say that your opinion carries any weight in a broader discussion (mine certainly doesn't.)

In the end the only opinions that matter will be the car buying public in aggregate and that will take time to measure with the new cars, but we can see one influence on those people by looking at the automotive press, and they seem to have taken up with Volvo as a luxury brand. Multiple reviewers commented that Ford wanted Volvo to be a luxury car but they held them back, but Geely seems to have allowed them to enter that sphere. If you look at the cars the newer Volvos are being compared against they're largely Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Range Rover and Audi. The Volvos have placed high enough in some of those comparisons that I think most readers would see them as completing directly against those brands, which most acknowledge as luxury brands. The reviews I've read have even expressed favorable opinions of the dealerships that they've visited.

No real skin in this game since it's just an arbitrary label.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post

That's certainly your option and opinion, but that's not to say that your opinion carries any weight in a broader discussion (mine certainly doesn't.)

In the end the only opinions that matter will be the car buying public in aggregate and that will take time to measure with the new cars, but we can see one influence on those people by looking at the automotive press, and they seem to have taken up with Volvo as a luxury brand. Multiple reviewers commented that Ford wanted Volvo to be a luxury car but they held them back, but Geely seems to have allowed them to enter that sphere. If you look at the cars the newer Volvos are being compared against they're largely Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Range Rover and Audi. The Volvos have placed high enough in some of those comparisons that I think most readers would see them as completing directly against those brands, which most acknowledge as luxury brands. The reviews I've read have even expressed favorable opinions of the dealerships that they've visited.

No real skin in this game since it's just an arbitrary label.
      It's all opinion based. Volvo makes a great car, but it's still a relatively low volume brand. And I'd love to see Volvo compete on a larger scale.

I think the real hold backs are the lack of across the board loaners and spartan lounges. Again, issues people raised here, too.

It's all opinion based. Volvo makes a great car, but it's still a relatively low volume brand. And I'd love to see Volvo compete on a larger scale.

I think the real hold backs are the lack of across the board loaners and spartan lounges. Again, issues people raised here, too.
      Volume has nothing to do with a brand being perceived as "luxury".

The entire brand is being rebuilt, more Volvo retailers are offering loaners, more Volvo retailers have increased their loaner fleets and there is a large amount of Volvo retailers who have spent millions to either revamp their facilities or built from scratch facilities that are state of the art that have absolutely nothing to be jealous of other luxury brand facilities; this was not even close to being the truth 4-5 years ago.

Well, hope Volvo don't go the route of luxury that each option is offered at $5k+ though.

I don't mind they put 2 year old Volvo in fleet of loaner, which can be CPO-ed and sold later. It is less value loss than a new car.

Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Volume has nothing to do with a brand being perceived as "luxury".

The entire brand is being rebuilt, more Volvo retailers are offering loaners, more Volvo retailers have increased their loaner fleets and there is a large amount of Volvo retailers who have spent millions to either revamp their facilities or built from scratch facilities that are state of the art that have absolutely nothing to be jealous of other luxury brand facilities; this was not even close to being the truth 4-5 years ago.
      You summed it up verbatim to my prior post. Volvo is a brand in transition. And while this transition is taking place, Volvo has yet to rise to the level of "Luxury" until these changes are uniform in nature. At present, dealer experience varies widely. Again, my local dealer uses a shuttle ride for the majority of customer on an as available basis. I'd loathe to think of a BMW or Mercedes customers being told, "hang out a while", our driver is out on a run. He'll be back in 45 minutes to get you.

And I completely understand that smaller dealers may not have the capital to stock a fleet of loaners. But, these dealers act as a counter lever to the goal Volvo is vying to achieve. To Volvo's credit, the 2019 and 2020's lineup looks spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Well, hope Volvo don't go the route of luxury that each option is offered at $5k+ though.

I don't mind they put 2 year old Volvo in fleet of loaner, which can be CPO-ed and sold later. It is less value loss than a new car.

Exactly what my preferred dealer does, and who cares! I don't need a decked out 2020 to circumnavigate around town. A reliable set of wheels is a very modest request. If you want to throw me into a 2016, 2017, 2018 S60, V60, S90, have at it. Sure, the decked out 2020 might entice customers to consider upgrading, but it isn't necessary.

I just don't want to hang out in the lobby watching the news on T.V., screwing around on my cell phone, etc. So a set wheels, even if aged, fulfills my expectations. Thereby, allowing the dealer to sell the 2019 and 2020s for top dollar, and put wear and tear on vehicles that aren't likely to take a major hit in depreciation.

You summed it up verbatim to my prior post. Volvo is a brand in transition. And while this transition is taking place, Volvo has yet to rise to the level of "Luxury" until these changes are uniform in nature. At present, dealer experience varies widely. Again, my local dealer uses a shuttle ride for the majority of customer on an as available basis. I'd loathe to think of a BMW or Mercedes customers being told, "hang out a while", our driver is out on a run. He'll be back in 45 minutes to get you.

And I completely understand that smaller dealers may not have the capital to stock a fleet of loaners. But, these dealers act as a counter lever to the goal Volvo is vying to achieve. To Volvo's credit, the 2019 and 2020's lineup looks spectacular.
      No, master of twisting words...it’s not. It has transitioned, its products and majority of retails have made this transition and will continue to do so. Many if it’s competitors have dealers who can also be detrimental to those brands.

No matter how hard you try to twist my words the fact remains that Volvo is now perceived as a luxury brand.

Just my 2c but.. When all other german brands like audi, bmw, merc where charging thousands for radio-cd's and leather seats, volvo had them as standard. Yet they are considered luxury and volvo is not.
      If you found yourself shopping for a bmw in the 90's - early 00's you'd already spent 30k for it "on the road" though you got a badge and 4 tyres. For it to become a car you required at least another 20-30% of the cars' value. And the ironic thing is, again, that most of the obvious features of a car that was advertised for, were optional extras (such as tiptronic, leather seats, rain sensor, airbags, cruise control etc).
      Shortly after the purchase from Geely, Volvo's marketing changed and took a similar approach as described above.

T8, hybrid engines, twin engines, B&W, Polestar. These extras are luxurious. And of course have a cost.

Volvo has been and still is a luxury / premium brand. Whatever you may call it.
      Not to mention, the best choice in terms of pricing, value, safety and quality for a family car. At least one of the best choices out there, so we don't startle any haters.
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander

Entire brand Being rebuilt implies a continuous action that's still in progress. Thus, a Brand in Transition! Your words, not mine!

If you intended to imply that Volvo has completed its transformation, you would have instead stated Volvo has rebuilt its image in the past 4 or 5 years. Meaning the change is complete.

No, master of twisting words...it’s not. It has transitioned, its products and majority of retails have made this transition and will continue to do so. Many if it’s competitors have dealers who can also be detrimental to those brands.
      Now you're saying something different and in fact implying most retailers met the new standard. Not my local. Shuttle, no loaners, unless they intend to keep your car overnight and booked in advance.

Even the dealer I drive to 80 miles each way offers snacks in the form of a kuerig, waters, a few quaker oat bars, and the rest in vending machines.

Luckily, they give loaners and they have fantastic service department. So no need to hang around lobby watching news on television.

No matter how hard you try to twist my words the fact remains that Volvo is now perceived as a luxury brand.
      Nothing twisted. And I believe what Autocheck says. Near Luxury is upscale but with room for improvements.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-14-2020 at 04:42 AM.

Read my post again.
      Last edited by stocis; 01-14-2020 at 07:08 AM.

For what it's worth, not all BMW dealers have the same loaner policy. It is up to the dealer. Some only offer loaners if you bought your car there. So I guess they aren't luxury

^+1

It seems that the OP’s original post was asked and answered in the first few posts regarding cost of 40k service and software updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      Recently moved from NJ to Nashville TN. Dealers in both locations offer FREE loaners, although the NJ dealership had nicer waiting area, snacks, etc.
      As a point of reference, my wife has a Lincoln MKC. While not as comfortable or luxurious as my XC60, it is a nice little vehicle & the dealer will come to our house to pick up the vehicle for service & leave a loaner, then return it when service is completed. That's just part of market conditions & Lincoln's attempt to rebuild their brand.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast