Rims/Tires
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Rims/Tires

Rims/Tires

I own a 2011 Volvo s60 AWD. I bought it used, and since then my tires have been giving me a lot of issues. My roads contain a lot of potholes and unsmooth roads, and while I try my best to avoid them, sometimes I can't.

Currently the car comes with 18 inch rims (235/45/r18/95V).

I am seriously considering switching to 16 or 17 in rims, but I'm not sure how to go about it as this is my first time.

I've been told that I should look at the rim/tire packages on TireRack.com but there are different options.
      I'm mostly concerned about safety- enjoyable experience/smooth sporty rides is not important to me at all. I would take a rough ride if that meant increased safety/decreased risk of tire blow out/skidding.

With that said, are 16 in rims the most advisable? If so, which offset should I choose? (I see +45mm, 42, 48... not sure how this would affect the safety or longevity of the rims and tires)

Also which all season tires are most safe?

How do I go about purchasing and installing TPMS sensors when I switch my rims?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Considering the same move myself - Seems I only have to think about a pothole to crack the 18” Sleipners on my 11 S60
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

I definitely want to change mine, just for peace of mind.

What do you think about these:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...Standard+Tires

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Watch out for brake disc clearance issues with some of the 16 inch options. You might be better off looking at 17 inch as many of the S60s from that generation came from the factory with 17 inch wheels.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD Sport Suspension, ipd rear sway bar, 19 inch Bor wheels, Polestar Optimization, Premium Plus, Silver
      Previous: 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon, 1989 MX-6 GT 4WS, 1979 GS-1000E

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoNY View Post
      I definitely want to change mine, just for peace of mind.

What do you think about these:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...Standard+Tires
      I had those same wheels though in 17" as a winter set on my V70R - they worked great. I would recommend 16's - if you're concerned about brake clearance/other fitment issues you might give Tirerack a call and get their advice.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

As for tires, I can recommend the Vredestein Quatrac 5 if you live in an area with winter weather. I just installed them 2 weeks ago and they've been on highway and in snow, slush, and ice.

They're not the level of a dedicated snow tire, but they are significantly better in snow and ice than my OEM Continental tires.

Otherwise, I'm sure any of the 3 peak mountain snowflake all weather tires in tire rack are just as good.
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

I have been running Pirelli Cinturato P7 + A/S as my summers and they have been fantastic. I can't speak to their winter capabilities, but any A/S tire is not going to like much, if any, snow.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      Pirelli Cinturato P7 + A/S
      ...The non-plus version of this tire that came on my '14 performed adequately in moderate snow the first winter I had the car. Mind you, I took delivery of the car in October so the tires hadn't seen significant temperature cycling and didn't accumulate more than 10000 miles on them for the duration of winter 2013/14. The first hint of snow for winter 14/15, they were so squirrely that I promptly called my preferred tire shop to get proper winter wheels/tires.

If you do end up with dedicated sets of winter and summer wheels, whether you get TPMS sensors for both comes down to your tolerance for warning lights on the dash. Can't speak for the system in the '11 cars, but the '14 has no trouble remembering 8 sensors. Prices likely have come down in the last 5 years, but a set of 4 in-wheel sensors shouldn't be more than $200.

When I was considering my winter wheel setup, I found this calculator quite helpful for working out a proper minus-size: https://tiresize.com/calculator/ Error under 1% also means no need to get the computer adjusted for the new size.
      On the topic of offsets, https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ will help determine if any of your wheel options will be shifted significantly inboard/outboard compared to your existing wheels & tires.

As an aside, I wasn't certain that the 17" steel wheels the shop suggested for my winter setup would fit, but they offered to put the car on the lift for a test-fit so I could confirm for myself. If you have a reputable local independent tire shop, I strongly suggest cultivating a relationship there first. Tire Rack is great, but a trusted local shop is even better.

On the subject of brands, Michelin is always very well-regarded with a price tag to go with it, while Kumho offers best bang for your buck. If snow is part of the conversation, look for Nokian tires--they don't sell through volume discounters however https://www.nokiantires.com/where-to...ealer-locator/
      Truedelta - Fuelly - last.fm
      (sold) 1994 Calypso Green Ford Ranger XLT Standard Cab I4 MT - color-matched Leer cap
      (sold) 2007 Aurora Blue Mazda 3 GTS Hatchback MT - Sound & moonroof package
      2014 Rebel Blue Volvo S60 T6 R-Design AWD - Platinum, Climate & Tech packages, 3M Ventureshield + 20/35/50 tint

I use a set of 17" Volvo Balder wheels (OEM for early p3 s60's) for my snow tires on my v60, and they work great. My car is a '16 r-design platinum and came with 19" wheels stock and I had no problem fitting the 17s and clearing the brakes. I picked up the whole set of wheels on ebay for ~$200, which is much cheaper than anything new and it is nice to still have the OEM look. I shipped tires from Tirerack to an installer in my town and brought them the wheels. They installed and added a second set of TPMS sensors to the 17"s. I've had no problems with sensor errors.

17" inch should clear all calipers, except polestar, so that's a safe choice. I have 17" Sadia as my winter wheels and 19" on summer, it's actually not as big a difference as I thought on the roads I drive.
      2012 V60 3.0 T6 AWD Summum 452 black sapphire
      *Polestar tune *Polestar 19" *Simons 3" catback exhaust *JR air filter *H&R springs *R design stuff

1995 855 T-5R automatic 421 dark olive pearl
      *The long time project.

https://www.instagram.com/t6blacksapphire/

It's become a regular feature with new cars that owners have to replace their 18 and 19" wheels with smaller ones just to get some functionality out of them. Where I live it hardly ever snows, but (especially in town) the paving is a little bit worse with each passing year. My S60 has 19" wheels, no spare tire, and it's a nightmare trying to drive around here. Absolutely bone-jarring ride and that's not even considering the road hazard issues. Also had a Jaguar with 19s and it was the same story (though the ride was smoother). I wish mfrs wouldn't put these monster wheels on cars. Especially since the rubber is so minimal.

Awaiting Approval

Volvo Wheel Compatibility with different models

I found a great useful informational site that cross references OEM Volvo wheels and compatibility with different models. Also they have tire suggestions. https://volvo-wheels.com

I would pick up a set of Njord wheels if you can find them on Craiglist, etc. They are 17x8" and came on P3 S60s. There are also Sadias and Balders (although those are 7" width, which look way too inset for my taste).

I honestly didn't feel much of a change when I went from my 17" Njords (w/ 235/45R17 tires) to 18" Sleipners (with an undersized 225/40R18 tire, from a guy who ran them on his S40). That's subjective though and based on my experience, so YMMV.

I currently run an oversized tire for the 2012 model year (235/45R18) on my Sleipners, so that's an option for you to try to help smooth out the ride. It only throws off the odometer by 3 MPH at 70 MPH.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      There are also Sadias and Balders (although those are 7" width, which look way too inset for my taste).
      Just to clarify, Sadias are 17x8". Balders are 17x7".
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Just to clarify, Sadias are 17x8". Balders are 17x7".
      Yes, which is why the parentheses are after Balder and not Sadia. However, I can see how that can be misconstrued.

I mentioned Sadias separately from the Njords as they were not wheels sold with pre-refresh P3's as his 2011.
      Last edited by p.rico; 01-18-2020 at 07:40 PM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements