2019 XC90 T8 pulling to the right
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2019 XC90 T8 pulling to the right

Hi, My 2019 XC90 is little more than 1 year old (OSD delivery was in Nov 2018 and US delivery was on Jan 24th 2019). I noticed that car pulls to right immediately after taking the delivery in USA. After procrastinating for a while, it took it to my local Volvo dealer who initially claimed that all cars pull the right because of natural slope of the roadways but finally agreed to check it. They found the wheels were misaligned, fixed it and initially tried to charge me for it but eventually agreed that it's covered under warranty. After I drove it for few miles, I realized that it's better than before but still pulls to the right. So, I took it again to the dealer, they check the alignment again, said it's dead center but agreed that car still pulls to the right after a test drive. This time they purposefully set the alignment 0.1 degrees to the left and assured me that will fix the problem. Again, alignment got better than before but still not dead center. This was about 6 months ago. Since then alignment seems to have got worse and it doesn't look my local dealer knows in SF East Bay knows how to diagnose and fix it. Since the car was pulling to the right even when their alignment machine indicated no issues, perhaps the issue is not with the wheel alignment but something else.

Should I take the car to an independent shop to get it checked or try a different Volvo dealer? I'm not sure if Volvo will cover it under warranty. Did any one else had a similar issue with the alignment?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do a search for a really good local alignment shop and just pay to have it done correctly. Nothing worse than a car that doesn’t track down the road straight.

That is ridiculous. A print out is provided with every alignment that shows the before and after settings. Ask for that and they should NOT charge you. You did not buy a Yugo.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Double check tire pressure and tread depth? I know one year is long enough to notice tire pressure difference, but just in case...

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Thanks for all the replies. Actually, the dealer gave me a printout with all the readings and they were in the range. But the car continued to pull to the right and service advisor acknowledged that during his test drive.

Yeah, I've checked all the tire pressure. Will check the tread depth also and then try to find a reputable shop. Any recommendations in/around San Jose/Fremont.

One thing you can do to eliminate the tires. Rotate the two fronts. While this will have the tires rotating in different directions it is not an issue with these tires as I do not believe they are unidirectional in nature. That should be relatively simple.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Find a shop that uses a Hunter Tire Balance Machine as well as the most up to date alignment machine. A proper tire balance where the rim is balanced not just behind the spokes or on the inside of the rim, but both. If it is done correctly it will adjust to minor imperfections in each tire and you should have smooth rotations without vibrations up to triple digit speeds. Also make sure your rims are not bent in any way. That can negatively affect things too.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

I hear you on the balance. However his issue is pulling to the right which is an alignment problem rather than balance. Often when tires wear unevenly due to alignment, changing the alignment does not make up for any damage to the tire. Which is why they tried to over compensate in their second attempt. Switching the fronts will immediately tell you if it is the tire. In the old days on performance vehicles I at times reversed tires on their rims to try and spread out the wear. Not so common anymore as often tires are unidirectional or they have a specific outside tread.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements