Android Auto/Apple Car Play Integration Kit Self Install?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Android Auto/Apple Car Play Integration Kit Self Install?

I have a 2017 Volvo XC90, built in late 2016. I would like Android Auto integration, Volvo sell the following kit for a console that has only one USB Port:
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...XC90(16-)/2017

My dealer quoted me about $750 to install, the kit itself is about 175. Has anyone here been brave enough to install this themselves, then have a Dealership load the software? I am mechanically savvy and somewhat savvy with wiring. I would like to save the 3 hours labor that is quoted for this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      Thanks for the reply, that is the same product that I linked to. I am asking if anyone here has been brave enough to install it themselves to see if they have any tips or advise.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Look here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ve-2-USB-Ports

you can find part numbers for USB module and cover. This is all you need before going to dealer for software load.

I did it as well, just replaced USB module and cover. No new wiring that being added later.

Quote Originally Posted by HHHAR34651321 View Post
      I have a 2017 Volvo XC90, built in late 2016. I would like Android Auto integration, Volvo sell the following kit for a console that has only one USB Port:

My dealer quoted me about $750 to install, the kit itself is about 175. Has anyone here been brave enough to install this themselves, then have a Dealership load the software? I am mechanically savvy and somewhat savvy with wiring. I would like to save the 3 hours labor that is quoted for this.

Here is the thing. The instructions are all you need. My sense is that you want to know if there are short cuts or things to be concerned with. That tells me that you do not have a lot of experience in doing these types of modifications. I have over the years probably done 25 to 30 different cars adding everything from navigations systems to stereo systems to aftermarket electrical/electronic components. And I am still very careful as it is easy to screw things up. It is very easy to scratch plastic or break tabs that require the purchase of new components. You need to follow the instructions carefully and not skip anything. Volvo provides very concise information as to what is required. They have an expectation that the person doing the work has prior assembly disassembly expertise. It is time consuming otherwise it would not cost $575 for labor ($750-$175 parts). That equates to about 4 hours. My guess is that someone who has done it before will take only about 2 1/2 hours. If I did it for the first time I suspect it would take me around 5 or 6 hours as I am leaning as I do the job. Once it has been done you can try and figure out ways of doing things differently. But that only comes after you have done it a couple of times. From what I can see it is not a difficult job, just a time consuming job. What I have learned over the years: get yourself some tight fitting white gloves (cotton). Buy yourself some plastic prying tools so that you do not scratch things up. Get yourself some good quality screwdrivers of various lengths and sizes. You will also need various wrenches and/or sockets. Read the instructions several times from beginning to end to insure you understand visually what is happening. Don't skip steps. Don't do things out of sequence. Be careful when using force. Once you break a plastic tab it is toast generally. If you only do the partial you will probably not come back and finish it. Set aside 1 1/2 times the estimated time required. Take your time. If you have never done this type of stuff then I would not pursue, but have the dealer do it. As an example I added the trailer module and the wire harness on my car. I followed the instruction precisely. Even with the pictures they provide it is not often enough if you are doing the task for the very first time.
      Last edited by drmanny3; 10-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

It's actually a free install your dealer probably just isn't aware.

Model year 2016 XC90s were built with a single USB port which is not capable of supporting Android Auto functionality. Should a customer request to have this functionality added to their car, it can be added at no cost to them by following the instructions under Service.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...65238-9999.pdf

Originally posted in this thread by KentXRS https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...16-XC90/page12

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      It's actually a free install your dealer probably just isn't aware.

Model year 2016 XC90s were built with a single USB port which is not capable of supporting Android Auto functionality. Should a customer request to have this functionality added to their car, it can be added at no cost to them by following the instructions under Service.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...65238-9999.pdf

Originally posted in this thread by KentXRS https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...16-XC90/page12
      To be more specific, it only covers 2016 XC90 with Chassis rang: 0000000-0095354. Check the last six digit numbers of the VIN, it's the car's chassis number.

Quote Originally Posted by tanXC90 View Post
      To be more specific, it only covers 2016 XC90 with Chassis rang: 0000000-0095354. Check the last six digit numbers of the VIN, it's the car's chassis number.
      Had me worried for moment as mine is at the dealer now and this on the list. My chassis # is 045423 so I am good

Quote Originally Posted by KentXRS View Post
      Look here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ve-2-USB-Ports

you can find part numbers for USB module and cover. This is all you need before going to dealer for software load.

I did it as well, just replaced USB module and cover. No new wiring that being added later.

I wish it were that simple. It is a little more comprehensive for the 2017 model year. https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...XC90(16-)/2017

I wish it were that simple. It is a little more comprehensive for the 2017 model year. https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...XC90(16-)/2017
      I used for my ex-XC90 MY16 this manual:

https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...%2816-%29/2018

And just replaced USB module and cover. Its immediately showed that now I have USB1 and USB2 port, when I choose USB stick with music.
      New instruction adding some wiring and fuse. But in case you are not going to plug any other USB device that is not USB stick/drive it should be fine. and I had no claims from dealer when they installed software after.

I used for my ex-XC90 MY16 this manual:

And just replaced USB module and cover. Its immediately showed that now I have USB1 and USB2 port, when I choose USB stick with music.
      New instruction adding some wiring and fuse. But in case you are not going to plug any other USB device that is not USB stick/drive it should be fine. and I had no claims from dealer when they installed software after.
      So you only had one plug, not the two plugs (one behind a block off plate)? From this you were able to get Android Auto to work?

So you only had one plug, not the two plugs (one behind a block off plate)? From this you were able to get Android Auto to work?
      AA was not installed from factory for my car, so it had single USB port.
      Later when I asked dealer what is required to get AA, they said 2 USB ports and software required.
      Found topic here in forum about it, replaced module by myself, got appointment with dealer, and they loaded it without any issues.

But, even before loading AA to car, I was able to use both USB ports having 2 USB sticks with music plugged.

AA was not installed from factory for my car, so it had single USB port.
      Later when I asked dealer what is required to get AA, they said 2 USB ports and software required.
      Found topic here in forum about it, replaced module by myself, got appointment with dealer, and they loaded it without any issues.

But, even before loading AA to car, I was able to use both USB ports having 2 USB sticks with music plugged.
      I see what you are saying, sorry I confused myself, the top plug was for a 3.5mm audio cable.

So you ordered 32204228, and then pulled the usb plate, disconnected, got new plate with the Dual USB module and then plugged into the back of that. Is this correct? Did you order from Volvo dealership or one of the online Volvo parts places? (tascaparts, volvooempartsdirect, etc.) This info is highly motivating!

I am still confused that for my Model year Volvo is suggesting that I re-wire the factory plug starting at Step 25

https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...0AWD/Automatic
      Last edited by HHHAR34651321; 10-10-2019 at 10:12 AM.

So one of these is for Smart Phone Integration which includes certain android phones and the other one is for Car Play. They both have the same install instructions and also include the same software upgrade. So not sure why there are two?

Car Play Application

Application4

The following two articles are recommended for iPhone 8 and onwards for the strongest possible signal reception.
      Installation kit, for vehicles without double USB port in the center armrest

Application, for vehicles without double USB port in the center armrest

Application, Smartphone integration23

+ Installation kit, for vehicles without double USB port in the center armrest
      + Application, for vehicles without double USB port in the center armrest²
      Last edited by drmanny3; 10-10-2019 at 11:11 AM.
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

I have ordered these parts, from local shop (non-dealer):
      -USB hub (31407038)
      -plastic panel (31377892)

I had on my car USB module with AUX port (3,5mm audio) and single USB port. (like shown on step 20 from instruction of your post)
      new module and cover has AUX port and 2 USB ports. (like shown on step 48)
      I just re-plugged existing 2 wires shown on step 31 and this is it.

Step 25 wiring looks if you have USB only, and no AUX. So this additional wire for AUX.

so in case you have already in car AUX and single USB port, you can follow above.
      In case you have no AUX, like shown on step 22, its better to go to dealer for new wiring.

I see what you are saying, sorry I confused myself, the top plug was for a 3.5mm audio cable.

So you ordered 32204228, and then pulled the usb plate, disconnected, got new plate with the Dual USB module and then plugged into the back of that. Is this correct? Did you order from Volvo dealership or one of the online Volvo parts places? (tascaparts, volvooempartsdirect, etc.) This info is highly motivating!

I am still confused that for my Model year Volvo is suggesting that I re-wire the factory plug starting at Step 25

https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...0AWD/Automatic

I have ordered these parts, from local shop (non-dealer):
      -USB hub (31407038)
      -plastic panel (31377892)

I had on my car USB module with AUX port (3,5mm audio) and single USB port. (like shown on step 20 from instruction of your post)
      new module and cover has AUX port and 2 USB ports. (like shown on step 48)
      I just re-plugged existing 2 wires shown on step 31 and this is it.

Step 25 wiring looks if you have USB only, and no AUX. So this additional wire for AUX.

so in case you have already in car AUX and single USB port, you can follow above.
      In case you have no AUX, like shown on step 22, its better to go to dealer for new wiring.
      Hey Kent quick question for you. The instruction you sent show different part numbers than the ones that you ordered.

The link lists 32204228, 32207897

But you ordered 31407038, 31377892

Why the deviation, what led you to order different part numbers?

Hey, I ordered part numbers that I found on this forum and also I checked the parts on web-site of Volvo if its OK for my car model year.

here https://usparts.volvocars.com/a/Volv...GR-448730.html

You can check MY year of your car there on section Electrical System > USB

Hey Kent quick question for you. The instruction you sent show different part numbers than the ones that you ordered.

The link lists 32204228, 32207897

But you ordered 31407038, 31377892

Why the deviation, what led you to order different part numbers?

Kent or DrManny do know how much you paid to get the application installed? I called to get a quote they said 21.42 for the software, then 150 to install. What in the hell?

Kent or DrManny do know how much you paid to get the application installed? I called to get a quote they said 21.42 for the software, then 150 to install. What in the hell?
      Anyone have any thoughts about loading this software themselves somehow? I am not familiar with how the whole Vida process works.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements