Vibration at Idle - Mounts OK.. now what?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vibration at Idle - Mounts OK.. now what?

2005 V50 t5 with 100k vibrates through steering wheel, seat, whole car. Mechanic told me all the mounts look fine...

Ideas i've gotten are:

-new spark plugs
      -upper intake or fuel injector cleaning

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by friedbryce View Post
      2005 V50 t5 with 100k vibrates through steering wheel, seat, whole car. Mechanic told me all the mounts look fine...

Ideas i've gotten are:

-new spark plugs
      -upper intake or fuel injector cleaning

Any suggestions?
      I have an 03 XC70 with the same issue. I will be interested to see what people have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD
      2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      97 cobra pacific green 1 of 27 , 89 mustang LX 5.0 , 2012 Volvo S60 ( T-6 )

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Does DiCE/ VIDA have any suggestions? I would get a VIDA reading before getting a generic OBD2 scanner reading.
      Mark

"New-to-me" V50 Back from the dead.

Is it a constant vibration or a sorta stumbling vibration? If it's constant than that's probably an engine mount. If it's a stumbling sort of irregular vibration then it's probably a vacuum leak.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Yeah. It's a constant vibration. Maybe the rubber is worn down on the mounts and the mechanic missed that. Is there a visual check I can do for the mounts or any other method of testing them?

Yeah. It's a constant vibration. Maybe the rubber is worn down on the mounts and the mechanic missed that. Is there a visual check I can do for the mounts or any other method of testing them?
      Well, you can look at the frame under the mount with a flashlight and see if there is some liquid stains on it, it'll look like a mud puddle splash. The glycol in the hydraulic mounts comes out when they split. I've read more than one thread where a mechanic misdiagnosed a vibration just in the last week as something else when it is the mounts.

So I replaced the passenger side which had split but "looked" good from the top. The easy way to tell was running it through the RPM range slowly and back down slowly at idle and at a few RPM's in between the entire motor shuddered on that side. At idle it had a half or quarter inch of movement back and forth, now with a new one it has absolutely NO movement.

The drivers side, when the motor was cold, I heard a steady tap and knock at idle from inside the cabin. the drivers side wiggled more than the passenger side and so I knew that one had more play than it should have.

at 100k if your mounts have never been changed, they're probably failing on you. sadly. Easiest way would be to prop the engine up with a piece of wood and a floor jack and pop the passenger mount out and see how it looks. be aware you should be able to hand thread it back in so if it's too tight then unless you're already in an inch or so you risk cross threading it.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 12-13-2016 at 09:57 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Does it vibrate in gear or smooth out in neutral? Maybe a tranny flush as fluid is getting thin?..

When I pop it into Neutral it smooths out a bit. Also, when driving, it seems to smooth out as well (but hard to tell for sure with driving vibration from tires/suspension)

BTW... is there any way to get email notifications when someone replies to one of my posts? Haven't found any settings for that on the "Settings" page in my account..

When I pop it into Neutral it smooths out a bit. Also, when driving, it seems to smooth out as well (but hard to tell for sure with driving vibration from tires/suspension)

BTW... is there any way to get email notifications when someone replies to one of my posts? Haven't found any settings for that on the "Settings" page in my account..
      Go to advance. There's a box to check for instant email replies I believe...
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Well,you can subscribe to thread maybe to get alerts..your mounts may look fine,but be weak or softened from age..I have put poly mounts on all my mine and it vibrates like hell,your subframe bushings may be worn as time again does damage.if you live in harsh winters with salt on roads everything goes to hell..I have a 05,s60, and has been a maintenance monster,but I'm anal on stuff,any rubber that 10 yrs old and is a mount its going to be weak and a source of vibration..oh ya 5 cyl. Aren't suppose to be a viable motor either,only Volvo has made them a staple of their line of cars..
      Good luck,if you have a pry bar and can get some pressure on LCA, engine mounts,etc,you may find your gremlin..

Nice. Word. I got the email alerts going!

Sounds like it could be a motor mount thing then. There's def a lot of shakes going on. vibration at idle, bouncy rough suspension (I have runflats also I just realized). With a 100k on the car, there are definitely plenty of projects!

thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by dannoman007 View Post
      Well,you can subscribe to thread maybe to get alerts..your mounts may look fine,but be weak or softened from age..I have put poly mounts on all my mine and it vibrates like hell,your subframe bushings may be worn as time again does damage.if you live in harsh winters with salt on roads everything goes to hell..I have a 05,s60, and has been a maintenance monster,but I'm anal on stuff,any rubber that 10 yrs old and is a mount its going to be weak and a source of vibration..oh ya 5 cyl. Aren't suppose to be a viable motor either,only Volvo has made them a staple of their line of cars..
      Good luck,if you have a pry bar and can get some pressure on LCA, engine mounts,etc,you may find your gremlin..
      Where did you get your poly mounts? I have been lookingat trying to source those, and while I found one for the drivers side, I haven't been able to source a drop in replacement for the passenger sidefor the S40.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Vibration, XC-70 with T6 engine

I have a 2013 with the T6 engine, with 35,000 miles.

A few weeks ago I hit a really bad pothole - did not affect the steering, but started to get a LOT of vibration in the engine,
      at all RPM's. Volvo mechanic said everything looked good. I am thinking about damaged muffler or exhaust pipe brackets.

But for some reason, I suspect the ECM is out of kilter.

I"ll keep asking questions until I figure this out.

Bumping an old thread.
      Got a high mileage T6 R-design and have flushed tranny, replaced all mounts, checked driveline components and STILL have a recurring & noticeable vibration when either 1) I'm in gear with the brakes applied(such as at a stop) or 2)When I press the brake to shift into Reverse. No vibration occurs while driving at any RPM or in neutral.

Anybody happen to have another idea as to the cause? Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements