EVAP codes = pump replacement?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

EVAP codes = pump replacement?

2007 S40 2.4i automatic.

About 2 weeks ago I started getting an intermittent check engine light. Connected a regular OBD-II scanner it read a P0305 - fifth cylinder misfire code, cleared it and ordered a set of plugs since I have no idea when the previous owner changed them.

A couple of days went by, CEL on again, same code, cleared it.
      Another couple of days went by, I get the CEL again and as I connected the scanner expecting the same P0305 code again, this time it was an P2402 - Powertrain - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detect Pump Control Circuit High. Since the gas in my country is of terrible quality I thought maybe it was an one time error, cleared it again to see what comes next.
      Next came, in about 2 days, P043E also EVAP related.

Now it basically cycles through these 3 codes every 2-3 days, within a minute after startup (not each startup, only once, after I clear the code I'm usually fine for about 2 days). Could there be any other reasons besides a bad Lead detection pump? I'll change the spark plugs this week, but I feel like they won't fix anything.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have been ignoring the P2402 on 2006 S40 2.4i for a while. I read software update at the dealer may fix it. Did you replace the pump?

Nope, didn't replace the pump yet. It got warmer (from 0 to 15 Celsius / 32 to 60 F) here and for the past week or so I kept my OBD2 always plugged in, so far no codes yet. I'm starting to think it's temperature related, electricity related or most likely God is punishing me.

Are you talking about the software update 2.0, the one with the distinct feature of showing the time on the dash? Because I can see the time on the dash.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by denea View Post
      Nope, didn't replace the pump yet. It got warmer (from 0 to 15 Celsius / 32 to 60 F) here and for the past week or so I kept my OBD2 always plugged in, so far no codes yet. I'm starting to think it's temperature related, electricity related or most likely God is punishing me.

Are you talking about the software update 2.0, the one with the distinct feature of showing the time on the dash? Because I can see the time on the dash.
      Unrelated, but did your car always show the time on the dash? 06 here, and looking to have mine do this, will this software update do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

I bought the car in March of 2019 (it's an 07 S40), but who knows what happened to it prior to me. It always had the time on the dash, but from extensively reading the Russian forums, the only obvious clue of the software update Service 2.0 is the time on the dash. Give a call to your local dealer and ask them for any other clues, probably they should know some.

Quote Originally Posted by denea View Post

New development. P2402 is gone. I lived with it for about 5 years. I added one can seafoam to full gas tank and apparently that cured the code.

Seafoam: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit/Update: Nevermind, the light came back in a month.
      Last edited by xtestere; 04-04-2020 at 11:30 PM.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements