SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

ckmack's 2017 Bursting Blue V60 T6 R-Design thread

22K views 123 replies 31 participants last post by  VARIABLE9 
#1 ·
Hey would ya look at that, I bought another car! After driving my beater 06 XC70 for a year and a half, I have decided to funnel my money into a better daily driver. Something with technology, safety features, a great stereo, and more. This means my XC70 and Flash Green V70R are going to be hitting the market soon. I make trips to Vermont semi-regularly, and have just started a new job, so the amenities are going to be greatly appreciated.

This isn't my first foray into the P3 chassis, I had a Rebel Blue 2013 S60 R-Design a few years ago. I never fell in love with the 6 speed transmission and transverse 6 cylinder in that car, and I have had the previous two weekends to drive this new V60 and I can already tell that I like it a lot more! The supercharger gives it some nice throttle response at the low end, it isn't so nose-heavy, it will give me 32mpg on the highway for those long trips, and the 8 speed transmission is much smoother. Not to mention, the extra room that the V60 offers will be nice. Coming from the 2013 S60, I also add a heated steering wheel, a heated windshield, and the Volvo On-Call app. These are all super noticeable this time of year. Luckily CPO gives 1 year complimentary of VOC.

Even though I don't work at the dealership anymore, I am still close with them and knew about this incoming from the auction right from day 1. It was owned by a 60 year old realtor from CT. I got to oversee and make sure some light PDR got done, the wheels got refinished to fix a little rashing, and that it didn't go through the reconditioning facility (I can do much better than them). This also means I got a very good deal on the car all said and done, and also get an extended 10 year CPO warranty with unlimited mileage. Can you say road trip car??

Here she is:

I've already gotten started on some modifications, I will update soon!

See less See more
Reactions: ttknf and VARIABLE9
#59 ·
Corona prep, $325 worth of groceries and the V60 handled it well!

Also finally ordered an IPD rear anti-sway which should be here soon. They were having a sale so I figured why not. Does the suspension have to be unloaded for install? I assume so but just double checking. I may try to scoot it over to my old work and get it on a lift

#60 ·
Corona prep, $325 worth of groceries and the V60 handled it well!

Also finally ordered an IPD rear anti-sway which should be here soon. They were having a sale so I figured why not. Does the suspension have to be unloaded for install? I assume so but just double checking. I may try to scoot it over to my old work and get it on a lift
Looks good!

The rear will need to be lifted off the ground - simple install, just undo the top of the end links, remove the sway bar, install new sway bar. Should take 10-30 minutes depending on if car is on jack stands or lift.

#63 ·
p.rico said:
How did you get the top nuts off the end links if you were on a compressed suspension?

I tried, but the clearance was just not there to get them off without jacking the car up and drooping the suspension.
I used an air ratchet though, a flex head ratcheting wrench* would work as well.

Keep in mind that our former V60CC and current XC70 sit on higher suspension which would likely have easier access.

* I like the look of the Lowes set I linked. That said, I don't have a lot of experience working on Volvos but my VW experience suggests that an 18mm isn't going to get much use as opposed to 19mm.

#64 · (Edited)
p.rico said:
How did you get the top nuts off the end links if you were on a compressed suspension?

I tried, but the clearance was just not there to get them off without jacking the car up and drooping the suspension.
I used an air ratchet though, a flex head ratcheting wrench* would work as well.

Keep in mind that our former V60CC and current XC70 sit on higher suspension which would likely have easier access.

* I like the look of the Lowes set I linked. That said, I don't have a lot of experience working on Volvos but my VW experience suggests that an 18mm isn't going to get much use as opposed to 19mm.
Your suspension height is why... I have ratcheting open wrenches. The issue isn't the tool insertion as it is more so the ability to get the nuts off. With the S60, the endlinks sit right next to the subframe mounts when the car is on wheels so you cannot physically ratchet anything that involves manual ratcheting motions.

#65 ·
Rear anti-sway went on today, too bad I'm barely driving anywhere to feel the difference yet haha

(Ignore the ugly exhaust, I wanna polish that up soon)

#66 ·
Cabin filter change today. This thing sucks but I'm glad I saved the money doing it myself. Also have some detailing supplies ordered so I should hopefully be getting this dialed in soon.

#67 ·
Hit 40,000 miles the other day. Oil change scheduleded for next Thursday. Not really due for one but this will get back on schedule.

May try to scoop up some mudflaps and a bumper protector soon too. Gonna wait to install them until I get to polishing the exterior first

#68 ·
Oil change today, funnily enough a true Polestar V60 was in for service two bays down

Reactions: ttknf
#70 ·
Update: V60 threw a CEL a few days ago so I brought it to my dealership. Turns out it was two faulty fuel injectors. Luckily CPO took care of everything and the car is running great again

I have a new OEM windshield going in tomorrow and I will be promptly driving it back home to sit the rest of the week. Next weekend I’m going to be doing a full decontamination wash, autoscrub, regular wash, polish, sealant + wax, and a glass coating. Additionally I will be putting on all four mudflaps, the bumper protector, and new wiper blades. Toying with the idea of de-badging the back except for the Polestar badge...hmmm. Pics incoming

#71 ·
Update: V60 threw a CEL a few days ago so I brought it to my dealership. Turns out it was two faulty fuel injectors. Luckily CPO took care of everything and the car is running great again

I have a new OEM windshield going in tomorrow and I will be promptly driving it back home to sit the rest of the week. Next weekend I'm going to be doing a full decontamination wash, autoscrub, regular wash, polish, sealant + wax, and a glass coating. Additionally I will be putting on all four mudflaps, the bumper protector, and new wiper blades. Toying with the idea of de-badging the back except for the Polestar badge...hmmm. Pics incoming
Did you get the OEM bumper protector? Interested in this for my V60.

#73 · (Edited)
Well I go to my windshield appt this past Monday, and turns out they ordered a non-heated windshield. Super frustrating. Especially since they took everything apart and were just about to cut the glass out of my car before they double checked. Tentative appt next week with the right glass but I feel like that is a pipe dream now.

Spending the weekend detailing because I don't want to wait up for them. The ultimate goal here is to have a paint corrected and sealed/waxed car. I basically follow the Obsessed Garage process so last night started with the engine bay and wheels.

Engine bay was sprayed off with my pressure washer and then I sprayed some Adam's Eco APC cleaner. Agitated with a brush in the dirty places and then rinsed off. Layed down some pre-diluted Meguiars Hyper Dressing and we're good to go.

Wheels were hit with Nextzett Colortec and a bunch of different brushes. Then the tires were hit with Adam's Rubber and Tire cleaner. I couldn't believe how brown the junk that came off the tires was. May need to do those again eventually. While I had the wheel bucket going, I did a rudimentary pass on the exhaust tips. The Colortec cleaned them up a bit but I'll hit them with some metal specific cleaner down the line.

Next was the Decontamination process. I started by hosing off the entire car, and then I hit it with a foam cannon of the Obsessed Garage branded Decon Soap. This stuff was legit. Definitely stripped the car off anything that was on it. After that I blew the car mostly dry and applied an entire bottle of Gyeon Iron Remover. This is the stuff that turns purple as it eats away embedded metals in the paint. I saw a lot of contamination all over the car so I'm glad I did this step. Rinsed that off after about 10 mins of dwell time.

Next up was a secondary foaming off Adam's Car Shampoo. This was really to clean and lubricate as I used an Autoscrub pad to "clay" the entire car. Good results there so I moved onto one final foaming with soap, a hand wash, and then a thorough leaf blower/hand drying. Moved the car into the garage and it will be taping and polishing today and tomorrow.

#74 ·
Weekend update: spent the rest of the weekend polishing the entire car. Used a combo of my Rupes LHR 15 and the Nano long neck. This was tedious as hell and I hated every part of it haha. Volvo seems to have incredibly hard paint too because I had a hard time getting scratches out. But overall the car looks better.

While I had it in the garage, I also installed the OEM bumper cover and all 4 mudflaps. The Polestar air filter comes with a sticker for the air box which I put on also. Additionally, I finally got my new windshield installed and it is mint. Drove it straight home and treated the windshield, all windows, and the side mirrors with Wolf's glass sealant. Also replaced the wipers with some Bosche ones I got off FCP.

Gonna let the windshield cure in the garage overnight and drive the yellow car tomorrow. Plans for later this week include reinstalling my radar detector mirror tap since they unplugged it at the windshield place, also will be added the window ticket clip to my A Pillar

#76 ·
Finally installed the last net pocket, this one is drilled and riveted

Also ordered two sets of these IPD led bulbs. These should be direct replacement for the two in the cargo area and the two in the front footwells.

#77 ·
Nice, I just ordered the lights for my cargo area last night, also. I need to see if there is a connector on the left side for the light or if I need to tap the wiring on the right side and run it across (probably underneath in the spare tire well? I'll have to see how it looks down there).

How do you like the bumper protector? Still deciding if I want that it or not. Our dog prefers riding in the minivan, so she doesn't get into my car much, although it would be helpful when lifting heavy things in there.

#78 ·
Nice, I just ordered the lights for my cargo area last night, also. I need to see if there is a connector on the left side for the light or if I need to tap the wiring on the right side and run it across (probably underneath in the spare tire well? I'll have to see how it looks down there).

How do you like the bumper protector? Still deciding if I want that it or not. Our dog prefers riding in the minivan, so she doesn't get into my car much, although it would be helpful when lifting heavy things in there.
Part of me doubts there is gonna be a pre-wired light back there on the left side, but I could be wrong.

I like it! If anything, I just think it looks cool. I don't have pets and I'm careful putting stuff in the trunk, but it's good extra protection. I've been dealing with an air bubble for the last two days though that isn't pleasing. We'll see how that goes!

#79 ·
Net pocket panel back in

Installed my window clip! Couple dollars for the part but I thought it was cool. You undo the "inflatable curtain" trim piece and it's a single 8mm bolt to loosen. I pulled back the pillar a bit, slid the clip in, and pushed the pillar back into place. Some people put one on the passenger side too.

#81 ·
Curious, what's the windshield clip for?
Service tickets or parking tickets or any small piece of paper you might need to display on your windshield.

#86 ·
For what it's worth, I ended up returning those LED lights from IPD. They didn't even snap in all the way like the OEM ones do, didn't seem to fit the hole in trunk, and the quality just felt cheap. Oh well!

#89 ·
Awesome build thread!

How do you like your sway bar setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's really good! Definitely stiffens up and plants the car. I would like to do the IPD endlinks at some point soon too.

#88 ·
Dang, should've picked up the ticket holder when I was at the dealership last week.

#92 ·
+1 for P* endlinks (PN 31360098). There were some issues of iPD endlinks failing prematurely, not sure if those were ever rectified or not. Major design difference is the the P* endlinks utilize a heim joint at the sway bar connection whereas the standard and iPD endlinks sandwich the swaybar between two bushings. You'll also need 4X Stabilizer Link Nut (PN 985930) for the conversion. Can't remember if the iPD sway bar works with the P* - pretty sure it does but I know the Elevate bar comes with an adapter specifically for P* use.

#93 ·
Successful 4th of July road trip to Burlington

Church St

Drive-in!

Reactions: ttknf
#96 ·
Hey would ya look at that, I bought another car! After driving my beater 06 XC70 for a year and a half, I have decided to funnel my money into a better daily driver. Something with technology, safety features, a great stereo, and more.
Beautiful wagon. Bursting Blue is the best color, but of course I am biased! So how do I get one of these 'great stereo' things you say yours has?! LOL

#99 ·
Haha thanks! I like the stereo! It's not the Bowers & Wilkins I used to fawn over at the dealership but it's no slouch either

#100 ·
Realizing with these last couple posts that I haven't updated this thread in a while. Between COVID and the winter, not much has been going on. I was at the mall one day in December grabbing lunch and a very young girl backed her CR-V into my car. That wasn't super fun. You can see the fender needed replacing, as well as I believe they had to blend some of the hood and door. Luckily insurance took care of everything.

An unseasonably warm day in January and I washed the car before handing it over to the bodyshop for a week

Hit the 50k milestone, missed the picture by 1 mile haha

And doing wagon things! Hauling a bunch of rocks for work stuff

I did some spring cleaning the other day and gave her a bath and a very thorough vacuuming. I don't see the need in keeping up with the interior all winter. Upcoming plans? I don't know, maybe some small goodies like Polestar pedals or a Polestar shifter. Keeping my eye out for a more interesting set of 19" wheels if some come along (BBS, Polestar, etc). Going to VT this weekend and picking up some SPA R-Design wheels in NH for my brother along the way

#101 ·
Realizing with these last couple posts that I haven't updated this thread in a while. Between COVID and the winter, not much has been going on. I was at the mall one day in December grabbing lunch and a very young girl backed her CR-V into my car. That wasn't super fun. You can see the fender needed replacing, as well as I believe they had to blend some of the hood and door. Luckily insurance took care of everything.

An unseasonably warm day in January and I washed the car before handing it over to the bodyshop for a week

Hit the 50k milestone, missed the picture by 1 mile haha

And doing wagon things! Hauling a bunch of rocks for work stuff

I did some spring cleaning the other day and gave her a bath and a very thorough vacuuming. I don't see the need in keeping up with the interior all winter. Upcoming plans? I don't know, maybe some small goodies like Polestar pedals or a Polestar shifter. Keeping my eye out for a more interesting set of 19" wheels if some come along (BBS, Polestar, etc). Going to VT this weekend and picking up some SPA R-Design wheels in NH for my brother along the way
1. Man, that sucks, but glad it got sorted with minimal damage and hassle.
2. I've been meaning to try the foaming washes. I hear such good things about them and it makes a lot of sense.
3. I have 40k coming up in about 1150 miles. Hoping I remember to catch that! Also need to decide what I'm going to do about service. Not keen on paying dealership prices for certain things for my first paid service, but since I'm still under warranty, should I still go there? Do the basics (oil/filter, air filter, cabin filter) myself? Use an indy shop for brakes? I do need to do the seatbelt anchor recall still. But that's a different thread :p
4. Totally regretting not taking a picture of my haul from this past weekend - 15 bags of topsoil and 6 bags of water softener salt. I think it was about 800-900 lbs of stuff in the cargo area, but that's what it was built for!
5. I need to mow the lawn this weekend, but the first summer detailing is on tap for me Saturday. Got to get rid of all the salt and dirt marks my kids left on the seats, door panels, etc. 🤦‍♂️

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.