How to custom order a new XC40 (or any car) without getting ripped off
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How to custom order a new XC40 (or any car) without getting ripped off

I'm ready to dive in but don't see any at a dealership that has the features & color I want. Therefore, I'll custom order. I don't mind paying a fair retail value but I'm not up for the shenanigans and surprise costs they often try to pull. I'll be paying cash with no trade-in.
      I'm in Ohio.
      All advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Unfortunately being narrowly focused on color and features, typically means you're going to have to order a vehicle. A dealership won't know what incentives are in place the month that you're vehicle arrives, because incentives change month to month. Additionally, ordered cars are not as incentivised as vehicles that have been on lots for months. Are you somewhat local to a few Volvo dealers? My best advice would be to shop several, let them know it is a cash deal with no trade-in, what sort of rebate you are looking to get, and then just see who comes out on top
      Daily Driver: 2017 V60 T6 R-Design Bursting Blue / Black, 37k, "Bertie"
      Garage Queen: 1995 850 T-5R sedan Cream Yellow / Black, 97k, "Daisy"
      Garage Queen: 1995 850 T-5R estate Cream Yellow / Black, 287k, "Daisy2"
      Garage Queen: 2005 V70R Flash Green / Nordkap, 86k, "Flash"
      Past: 2005 S60R Black Sapphire / Nordkap, 88k, "Peggy"
      Past: 2000 V70R Laser Blue / Black, 174k, "Vicky"
      Past: 2000 S70 GLT SE Moondust / Beige, 175k, "Sandy"
      Past: 2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue / Black, 88k, "Roxy"
      Past :2006 XC70 AWD Willow Green / Beige, 148k, "XC"

Quote Originally Posted by LaMoora View Post
      I'm ready to dive in but don't see any at a dealership that has the features & color I want. Therefore, I'll custom order. I don't mind paying a fair retail value but I'm not up for the shenanigans and surprise costs they often try to pull. I'll be paying cash with no trade-in.
      I'm in Ohio.
      Best advice I can offer is go visit a couple stores, see what kind of feel you get from them, ask questions about service department, loaners, etc. Aftersales support is important, anyone can sell you a car but you want to ensure good support thereafter.
      As far as price, don't fall into "I want to get the best price", there is no such thing; make sure you get a fair price, one you are comfortable with and combined with the above.

You are spending money, you will enter a "relationship" with a certain company, make sure it feels decent all around; sometimes, it may make sense paying a little more to deal with people you like and feel comfortable with.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I'm in Ohio.
      Dealers can search inventories to get a vehicle to match your needs as close as possible from somewhere else within their region. See if they can locate one that meets your needs.
      Paying cash/no trade, I would personally start a negotiation at INVOICE and see how they negotiate from there until you are comfortable. I actually got mine $500 over invoice and $1k higher on trade than other dealers offered.

I'm not sure if custom ordering is faster than overseas delivery, but you sure can get exactly what you want if you pick up your car in Gothenburg at a set price with benefits. Almost all of us that did the OSD experience thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
      July 2019 OSD XC40 T5 R-Design Black Stone

We're using Costco's auto program again - though if we'd been in a position to travel we probably would have done overseas delivery.

If you're knowledgeable and good at negotiating I imagine you could do better than either of those fixed prices but neither of us is either of those so a fixed discount system at least keeps me from paying MSRP

Quote Originally Posted by cogtooth View Post
      I'm not sure if custom ordering is faster than overseas delivery, but you sure can get exactly what you want if you pick up your car in Gothenburg at a set price with benefits. Almost all of us that did the OSD experience thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
      I was wondering about that. I don't have a huge desire to go to Goteborg, but if it gets me all the features I want, line-item and not deal with dealer pricing it's worth considering.

Some questions to all of you about OSD.

Is this really the site to order from?
      http://www.flyvolvo.com/index.htm

Is this the most current OSD price list?
      http://www.flyvolvo.com/XC40MY20.pdf

And, is there now a $995 destination charge on OSD orders?

Thanks for all the great advice and I look forward to joining the XC40 family!

OP, I just picked-up my special-ordered 2020 XC60 T8 2 weeks ago today.

I have special-ordered nearly every car I’ve ever owned (multiple brands), because I choose not to compromise. I know that will cost me more, especially if the model is hot or I’m earlier in the MY/refresh cycle. My ability to negotiate will be close to non-existent compared to a vehicle on the lot, or readily available to the dealer that has been sitting there costing them money and they need to finally move. Mine took 109 days from the day I ordered to day of receipt, including more than a month at sea and Christmas holiday shutdowns. As has been said, you could do the OSD option and possibly have a better chance at a set price — IMO that’s still speculation, as there is no set pricing or discounting.

I go into the dealership, knowing fairly well what I think I want. I’m very professional and business-like along the way — I do not go in with a feeling they are gonna be a “stealership”. IMO, tone matters. I always make at least two trips to the dealer, and never intend to buy on the first test drive day. I think that’s important to show you are not in dire-straights and from a subtle to-your-advantage negotiation point. My two trips:
      1) As has been suggested, I check out service, etc along the way to ensure it’s first a dealership and service I’m comfortable with going the next step, take test drives, talk, try out my USB music in the sound systems, etc. I also make it known that I don’t HAVE to buy a car today, I have special-ordered nearly every vehicle, and I am willing wait and look at other dealerships if I must. What I want to do, is establish a long-term relationship not only with a brand, but a dealership if I can, like I had with Lexus for 20+ years and 5 new vehicles from them.
      2) When I decide I want to talk price and potentially order, I make a spreadsheet of MSRP prices, including shipping, taxes and DMV fees. I add a line before the taxes/fees with the title “Est Adjustment”, and put in a % off as a starting point — not too high and not too low to set a tone — (you need to look at 3rd party pricing sites to come up with what you think is reasonable —don’t go crazy— in your market, then IMO, know the actual you will receive is less — those websites tend to cite pricing for vehicles on a lot, not special-orders.). I tell them I do not want to play games, and my expectation is they need to be happy with the deal, and I do as well. I provide a copy of my spreadsheet with the options I want, and describe what the “Adjustment line” is — my guesstimate — being no different than how they generally represent their discount to a potential buyer. I then add something to the effect “I want one back-and-forth. The bottom-line number (with all fees, taxes, etc) will be acceptable to me or not. If it’s not, I’ll say Thank You and leave, so let’s try to sharpen our pencils the first time around.”

For my 2020 XC60, that worked well once again. One back-and-forth, and we were done. The dealership did as Lexus has before with me, the price they quoted was the MAX I would pay at delivery, meaning if tariffs or something like that were to increase in-between, it’s not my problem (I’ve never been concerned about that in the past, but with today’s political environment, it’s a lot more iffy at least from my POV.) You want to understand deposit amount and your ability to get a refund on it or not, and to what point in the order/build/delivery process — it varies from dealer-to-dealer. (Some don’t like special-orders, and you’ll know that if they come back with MSRP. Also, some sales people have not a clue how to manage special orders, so work that into your get-to-know-you discussion the first time around.) My Volvo dealership this time, went one step further and said they would also pass on any incentives available at time of delivery if there were any.
      e.g. I also was going to pay cash (I don’t say that upfront, and stay non-committal on cash or financing at this stage), but instead ended-up unexpectedly financing it via Volvo with the Sweden Greetings special that was going on end of last year, and not only is my first payment a month or so after I took delivery (so I collect a few pennies interest with my money in my bank account), but Volvo pays my first payment as a CREDIT to my account (a real discount), so I will pay 1-month finance charge, but still save a few hundred extra bucks because of the Volvo HQ finance pgm, and will pay the car off right after that.

In the end, did I pay more than someone else? Perhaps, and more-than-likely compared to a vehicle I would have compromised with off-the-lot — but I was comfortable the deal was fair and am happy with the transaction, as well as having a car that is exactly as I wanted. Good luck with your pursuit!
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

I was wondering about that. I don't have a huge desire to go to Goteborg, but if it gets me all the features I want, line-item and not deal with dealer pricing it's worth considering.

You can OSD from any dealer. I could have from mine. Some are more “into that process” than other dealers.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      OP, I just picked-up my special-ordered 2020 XC60 T8 2 weeks ago today.

The dealership did as Lexus has before with me, the price they quoted was the MAX I would pay at delivery, meaning if tariffs or something like that were to increase in-between, it’s not my problem (I’ve never been concerned about that in the past, but with today’s political environment, it’s a lot more iffy at least from my POV.) You want to understand deposit amount and your ability to get a refund on it or not, and to what point in the order/build/delivery process — it varies from dealer-to-dealer. (Some don’t like special-orders, and you’ll know that if they come back with MSRP. Also, some sales people have not a clue how to manage special orders, so work that into your get-to-know-you discussion the first time around.) My Volvo dealership this time, went one step further and said they would also pass on any incentives available at time of delivery if there were any.
      This is what we were told as well but we haven't seen any paperwork on it yet (just finalized what we wanted this morning.) In our case there shouldn't be much variance in the price to worry about, though apparently Costco's pricing can vary slightly from month to month, but additional incentives might come up and those would be passed along.

That is just a dealer's site. It has good information, but you can technically order from any dealer.
      Yes, that price list looks accurate.
      Yes, destination is now added for OSD orders, it wasn't before.

I am also in Ohio (Cleveland area) and have bought several cars from the handful of local dealers in the area over the years. I've had good experiences with all of them, though I've never really developed a relationship with any of them. I tend to go to where the car is, and that's been different place from time to time.

When we were looking at the XC40 last year we were probably going to go OSD.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

> This site is informational only. Ask your dealer to place OSD order.

> Yes. And MY2021 price list will be out in a few months.

> As stated in the OSD price list, yes.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 01-13-2020 at 09:23 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Sales people will tell you that service and support matters but that’s generally true after you purchase the vehicle. Any Volvo dealership can get you the Volvo vehicle you want. They all come from the same factory. So I say purchase it from the dealership with the lowest price and later if you don’t like their aftersales service, then go to another dealership for service. That’s the beauty of a free market. You have free choice and aren’t locked into to staying with the dealership who sold you the vehicle.

Do you want a free flight to London, Copenhagen and/or Stockholm?

We did OSD in fall 2018. Volvo let us stop in both Ireland and London at no additional cost. On a previous OSD trip, we stopped in Copenhagen for several days before Volvo flew us to GOT. We paid a nominal amount for our train to Stockholm, then toured Stockholm before flying home. Volvo paid for all our economy plus flights for both OSD trips!

Best advice I can give to anyone considering an OSD is to work with Bob Kennedy at University Volvo. We live in NorCal and there's no way I'd work with anyone else.

It's much harder now to do OSD with dealers outside your area, but the added effort and/or travel expense is worth having Bob on your side! Especially if you encounter any issues with your order. Trust me on this, I speak from personal experience. You can't go wrong working with Bob!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2019 XC40 T5 Inscription | Chrystal White & Oxide Red | Vision | Advanced | Premium | Heated steering & seats | 19" 5-double spoke

I also highly recommend OSD. You get to order special color combinations and individual options. I have done it twice for Volvo’s. You do have to be able to wait several months for your car to show up at the dealer. Nothing better than driving your own car for a couple days in Sweden. It snowed on us both times! And you get red Swedish license plates to boot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2020 XC40 R Design T5 Polestar, bursting blue, July 2019
      2015 V60 T5, crystal pearl, platinum/tech/BLIS, July 2015
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011
      2004 XC90 2.5T, silver, OSD in Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by kevinG View Post
      I also highly recommend OSD. You get to order special color combinations and individual options. I have done it twice for Volvo’s. You do have to be able to wait several months for your car to show up at the dealer. Nothing better than driving your own car for a couple days in Sweden. It snowed on us both times! And you get red Swedish license plates to boot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      No more special color option for OSD now.

Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      No more special color option for OSD now.

When I did my OSD, I was originally intrigued by the notion of special colors. After some thought though, I decided I would probably want a standard color anyway. Imagine getting a chip or something where you just need a dot of paint. If you have a special color, I would guess that the dealership would have a heck of a time getting a container to match.
      2019 XC40 Momentum T5 + Polestar

Walk in, have a price you're willing to pay. Have supporting sales of similar cars from that dealership or other local dealerships. Be willing to bargain against the OSD price. Call higher volume dealers around the country (it may be cheaper to fly and drive it back or have it shipped).

WALK AWAY if you don't get the price you want.

My wife and I special ordered our V90cc Ocean Race and ended up getting it for under OSD and at the Volvo interest rate (2.5% at the time). Be aware that dealers will tell you that Volvo financing "isn't available", but that there's available dealer financing through their partner banks. THAT IS A SCAM! They have relationships with these banks to gain a cut of the interest, which the bank pays them upfront. If financing through them, demand Volvo Corporate financing.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Walk in, have a price you're willing to pay. Have supporting sales of similar cars from that dealership or other local dealerships. Be willing to bargain against the OSD price. Call higher volume dealers around the country (it may be cheaper to fly and drive it back or have it shipped).

WALK AWAY if you don't get the price you want.

My wife and I special ordered our V90cc Ocean Race and ended up getting it for under OSD and at the Volvo interest rate (2.5% at the time). Be aware that dealers will tell you that Volvo financing "isn't available", but that there's available dealer financing through their partner banks. THAT IS A SCAM! They have relationships with these banks to gain a cut of the interest, which the bank pays them upfront. If financing through them, demand Volvo Corporate financing.
      When we bought our XC40 a few weeks back I had already shopped the local credit unions and knew my interest rate was good. When I told the dealer I already had 2.99% they pretty much said yep we can't get near that. We were offered something like 4.7%, so by shopping around prior I was able to save thousands in the long run versus taking the dealer financing.
      2019 XC40 T4 FWD, Momentum with Premium and Vision Package - Hers
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - His
      1997 Volvo 850 N/A with 240k, 1 owner, SOLD 2017
      2000 C70 Convertible 5sp HPT, SOLD 2011

Quote Originally Posted by rocketscience55 View Post
      When we bought our XC40 a few weeks back I had already shopped the local credit unions and knew my interest rate was good. When I told the dealer I already had 2.99% they pretty much said yep we can't get near that. We were offered something like 4.7%, so by shopping around prior I was able to save thousands in the long run versus taking the dealer financing.
      You should have pushed them on that! We came in with an external bank rate quote that was below that dealer's stated rates (partnered with 3rd party banks), and said we'd use the bank we sourced unless they could beat it. Low and behold, suddenly they offered the Volvo Corp. Financing rate of 2.5%.

The Volvo Corp. rate should almost always be below market, because it's self financed. Dealers don't like it because it means they receive the smallest cut, versus using financing through banks they've partnered with.

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements