SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

KKlepack - 1999 RED-V70R

20K views 185 replies 18 participants last post by  UT OLI 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up 1999 V70R in Chicago.

Red 1999 V70R, 212k miles.

Carfax shows that car was originally sold in IL and no service history until 06/2010 and 124K. After that was serviced by Howard Orloff Imports, Inc. in Chicago until 08/2013, 147K and was sold to 2nd owner. There is a gap until 06/2016 150K some service was done and next on 11/2019 and 212K by 3rd owner, I assume to reprogram ETM.

The good: New ETM from XeMODeX (previous owner bought it from IPD 10/2019 and had a dealer reprogram it), interior is on decent shape no rips, no rust and tires and rims are OK, looks like it has a new Volvo battery.

Not so bad, I guess:
Paint looks good but some parts were repainted like rear bumper (paint is peeling off in couple areas) and perhaps rear door

The bad: Not sure yet as car starts and dies (rough idle), but runs fine above 2500 RPM,
I could not test drive it so no idea on suspension and AWD no spare tire, TB was done at 120K in 2009, also I see a very small leak under the engine and I suspect it could rear main seal. Maybe not.

Third owner (bought it in 09/2019 and never transferred the title) so I'm the fourth owner.

Plans:

Stage "0"
PCV - completed
Timing and Serpentine Belts - completed
Water pump - completed
and on and on -

Work completed:
-PCV all blue box parts - 212k
-Serpentine Belt - 212k
-Parking brake shoes and cables all blue box parts - 212k
-Power-steering reservoir newer version upgrade -212k
-Spark plugs 212k
-Vacuum lines 212k
-Oil change with new magnetic plug 212k
-New air and oil filter - 212k
-Cabin filter -212k
-Thermostat blue box -212k
-Engine coolant temp sensor blue box -212k
-New fuel pump blue box -212k
-M56 swap out of 1997 or 1998 P80 -212k
-850R clutch and pressure plate
-Front O2 sensor -212k
-All engine mounts - 212k
-PS rack out of 04 C70 - 212k
-RMS -212k
-Upper and lower radiator hoses -212k
-TB, WP and pulley's - 213k

Looking to get some advice with this project. I've owned few Volvos in the past and my DD is 2016 XC60, so not new to Volvo's and not afraid to tackle a project at my own garage.
White Black Black-and-white Monochrome Monochrome photography

See less See more
#147 ·
C70s still use the same 4 bolt control arms as every P80 AWD. Biggest upgrade that the C70 convertible subframe offers is solid aluminum subframe bushings. After that it's maybe the triangulated bracing on the subframe itself, but if you're going FWD then you could run the large U/horseshoe brace that all vert C70s came with as well for maximum chassis stiffness.

#150 ·
Are you talking about Robert being in town? He posted another video about the R seats he pulled, where he says he's at John's place (in Indiana). Not that he couldn't be helping both guys, but not a given. Of course, maybe you have additional information. I'm usually not in the loop about anything! ?

#153 ·
Just a short update. Auto trans is out M56 and all components are in. What a bumpy road that was. I should have spent more time on research before jumping in to the swap. Big thanks to few members here for answering my questions and sharing tips.

I have couple things/issues I am fighting with:

1. still looking for a angle flange downpipe as AWD can not be used.
2.I can not bump the starter after connecting green and green/red wires together from transmission wires pack. I verified starter is good and grounds are connected. Any suggestions if I missed anything?

More to come hopefully soon.

#154 ·
Update:
It is cold In ChiTown, so not much work being done on the car.
1. Will go with 02 c70 DP and cat in meantime as I need to save $$ on 3inch DP'
2. Car starts and runs fine , but only when MAF is disconnected. Have spare one will swap it.

Question, should I be able to freely spin both front wheels when in neutral, wheels are off the ground?
I can only spin 1/8 of the turn passenger side wheel and 1/4 driver side. Is trans messed up? No grinding when switching gears when car is running and clutch is pressed.

Next:
Hilton tune for manual conversion
ECM and TCM wiring modification to remove TCM.

#156 ·
Not sure what happed but all seems good now, front wheels are freely spinning now. Have not done anything new started up the car went through the gears when still lifted, hmm

Saving money for 3inch DP so in mean time I fitter DP with cat out of C70 but it is shorter about a foot so will have to do some modifications to connect it to the rest of the exhaust system.

Old radiator seems like it is seeping coolant slowly, so it has to be replaced. Will have to wait until gets wormer. Will go with Nissens from FCP.

Also ordered Cable Harness Duct - 9441220 for manual trans from Volvo dealer to manage the wire harness after the swap.

Getting closer but not there yet.

Chicago_Wagon, yes we will meet one day for sure.

#158 ·
Nice

#162 · (Edited)
All is good now. Hilton - Volvo Vehicle Manual Conversion tune installed, CAN wires jumped and no lights on dashboard. Just passed IL emission test and set for 2 yrs. Time to enjoy it until something pops up.

Still have to TB and WP . I'm hesitating if I want to tackle it by my self but after all i went through I think I can do it.

#164 ·
Timing belt on whiteblocks are pretty easy once you’ve done it once. Watch robert’s videos, and use quality parts and you’ll be good! if you did a trans swap, you can do the timing!

#166 ·
get a volvo belt

#168 ·
There are counterfeit Conti belts and they walk.

Volvo belt is cheap and the downside of failure is expensive.

#170 ·
I got the parts from FCP. So I hope it is legit
Wouldn't trust it; that's where everyone gets them. They have Volvo belts, too. That's where I get mine.

Why hope it's good when you can know?

#180 ·
Nice!

#181 ·
Looking sharp ! Doesn't it feel great to enjoy the fruits of your labor with this one and not giving up. Shifter looks great. All you need is a few paint touch ups, a wing and maybe eggcrate grill. Well done !

#184 ·
All good here not much updates. Having an issue with locking/unlocking tailgate with remote and leveler on the door, I wonder if it is wiring issue somewhere as I picked up a latch from JY and still no go.
Had put windows tint 35% passenger and driver sides and 20% on the back windows. Millage update 216K.

Odometer Speedometer Trip computer Gauge Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.