New tires needed thinking of 235/50/17 >>>>>>>
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thumbs up New tires needed thinking of 235/50/17 >>>>>>>

We have some bad roads here and I need to purchase new tires soon. I am thinking of purchasing 235/50/17 which will give a little more sidewall height to help protect my stock R wheels. Yes they are an inch taller than stock. Has anyone used this size and if so any rubbing or other problems ??? Thank you for reading and any info or experience given !!! God Bless !!!
      2006 Sonic Blue V70R 6MT
      IPD Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No but my wife ran 215/55/16s on her s60 (it came with that size from the previous owner) which is a very similar tire and wheel package. It rubbed a little bit at full lock, but not bad. The R bump stops are pretty far out, I would imagine you'll be fine. Might rub a little at full lock but only way to tell for sure is to try

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

I'm pretty sure they will rub without spacers. I'm running 235/45/18s with 5mm spacers, and they rub at full lock.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mobeus View Post
      I'm pretty sure they will rub without spacers. I'm running 235/45/18s with 5mm spacers, and they rub at full lock.

At full lock is OK as I have the stock size 235/45/17 right now on my Pegs with stock suspension and they only rub slightly at full lock too. So I am guessing these will do the same, but give me just a tad more sidewall height for protection. Thanks and God Bless !!!
      2006 Sonic Blue V70R 6MT
      IPD Stage 2

I've been running these springs on my car: ebay springs
      Raised the front about an inch (1.5" at first, but settled after about a year).

Cheap springs like those will do that, good quality like Eibach will not

Here is the tire calculator I use. If you rub now you will probably rub a little more than what you do now. Not a big deal but your speed at 55 mph will actually be 57 mph.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r17-235-50r17
      Last edited by maronha; 01-14-2020 at 07:04 PM.
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 150k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 50K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 70k

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      Cheap springs like those will do that, good quality like Eibach will not
      Show me where Eibach has springs that will raise the ride height of the car, and I'll buy them. I specifically bought those springs because I knew (well, suspected) they would settle a bit, without being too strong that they overwhelm the rebound response of the 4C struts (like the factory XC springs).

Hi OP. I run the set up youre curious about. 235/50/17 will fit just fine, doesnt change the stance all that much.

I rub little at full lock and I have 5mm spacers up front. It will also rub just a tiny bit on the outer fender liner when you use all the suspension travel. I am on stock springs as well.

Tires I am using are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. It's not a bad setup but to be honest I'll be going back to the stock size for my next set to avoid the rubbing.

Hope this helps.
      05 V70R BSM, 6MT

Be aware that the same size tire from different manufacturers can have different amounts of rubbing due to the shoulder profile. My car has always had the factory size tires over the years and some rubbed at full lock and others did not.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi

Show me where Eibach has springs that will raise the ride height of the car, and I'll buy them. I specifically bought those springs because I knew (well, suspected) they would settle a bit, without being too strong that they overwhelm the rebound response of the 4C struts (like the factory XC springs).
      Eibach catalog will have what you need, without the need to guess or hope they will settle and have the spring rate you are looking for. That`s their business, but going cheap is a disease that for which there is no cure.

Wow and I thought I needed some sidewall with my 245/35/19 summer setup! Running my 235/40/18 snow tires on factory Peg's are a dream compared to the summer setup. 50 series on 17's would probably feel like an SUV to me, LOL
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT Darton Sleeved/Rods/Pistons, RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, EFR7163, PM3, Aeromotive 340 fp, ID1050x, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune
      01 Audi S4, Tial 605's, built engine, etc
      93 Mustang Cobra, Incon Twin Turbo 347 Dart, etc

^35 series tires in Detroit area. You are quite brave.

Or you like the perpetual slalom courses.
      '06 Long Roof R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 222k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 27k miles - garage queen | RIP 10/05/17, now a parts car.
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 26k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 161k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      Eibach catalog will have what you need, without the need to guess or hope they will settle and have the spring rate you are looking for. That`s their business, but going cheap is a disease that for which there is no cure.
      I looked. There is nothing specific listed for our application. Trust me, I've gone through DOZENS of springs. There are lots of choices when it comes to lowering the car, but try to raise the car to get more ground clearance, and you are pretty much SOL.

There as are some options for raising the front using Volvo springs, but I haven't been able to find such information for the back. The stock vr is 30639016 and I put in the 9492228 which raised the front about a half inch and has helped with the poor roads in mass.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Graminal95 View Post
      There as are some options for raising the front using Volvo springs, but I haven't been able to find such information for the back. The stock vr is 30639016 and I put in the 9492228 which raised the front about a half inch and has helped with the poor roads in mass.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
      Very interesting chart, thanks for that. I wasn't aware that the front springs were the same as on the S80s.
      Last edited by mobeus; 01-17-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Very interesting chart. I'm curious, why did you go with 9492228 instead of 8624833 or 9465472, which are indicated for S60, as opposed to a S80 spring (also, I wasn't aware they were the same on the front).
      I imagine a less stiff spring with a higher lift rating would be more compliant.
      I didn't want to change the dynamics of the front suspension by changing the spring rate as I was happy with the handling and ride quality. I just wanted to add a little more height between the strut and bump stop so I wouldn't bottom out on bad roads, which had been an issue now and then in NH but became much worse in MA. There is a massive amount of droop in our caRs but very little compression before the bump stop is engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Graminal95 View Post
      I didn't want to change the dynamics of the front suspension by changing the spring rate as I was happy with the handling and ride quality. I just wanted to add a little more height between the strut and bump stop so I wouldn't bottom out on bad roads, which had been an issue now and then in NH but became much worse in MA. There is a massive amount of droop in our caRs but very little compression before the bump stop is engaged.
      That is very similar to my situation. I wish I had seen this chart a couple of years ago. lol

I looked. There is nothing specific listed for our application. Trust me, I've gone through DOZENS of springs. There are lots of choices when it comes to lowering the car, but try to raise the car to get more ground clearance, and you are pretty much SOL.
      There wouldn`t be anything specific, you would have to search the catalog and find a fitment that would work. You could ghetto it and heat a coil or two with a torch then stretch the spring. You`ve got stock springs laying around give it a try, couldn`t be any worse than the chinese ones you installed.

Wheel Rub Is Life... When I bought my 2004 S60R it had 215’s on it from the previous owner and it rubbed a little bit.. tomorrow I will be replacing the common upper strut seats and mounts issue. I am currently running the 235/45R17 Bridgestone Potenza and it has the same rub, it didn’t get any worse, I have the new steering stop limiters and since this has the same turning radius as my 87 GMC Suburban lol... rather than buying wheel spacers I am going to put on probably 10mm bolt collars behind the limiters to stop the lock to lock wheel rub.. but that’s just me

New tires needed thinking of 235/50/17

You are in need of tires for bad roads? is the gravel strip the area you go through? Or rugged? You need to choose the right tire for the area you travel often

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements