Engine swap from T5 to T6
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Location
      California
      Posts
      5

      Engine swap from T5 to T6

      I am very curious if anyone knows how easy it would be to swap out the engine from my fwd 2012 t5 for a t6. If possible would it just be a plug and play or would I need to replace other components like ecu and fuel pump. I am only considering this as It appears my engine has ceased but we are still sorting through some other minor possibilities, but if worst comes to worst and I do have to replace the engine I’d be interested in swapping it for the bigger T6.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Posts
      603
      I'll keep it short. No.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      80
      You need everything from the donor so, so much so that you just use the donor car.
      Not possible to swap, especially not in CA.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      1,652
      One would think since it's the same chassis and same transmission. But then again, nop.
      After seeing how swapping simple stuff like the instrument cluster can become, how shall I say, ... a cluster, an engine swap would be very impractical.
      Gone are the days when you can drop a V8 in a Volvo (as in the 240).
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Location
      California
      Posts
      5
      Well looks like to rebuilding or buying the same engine it is, I appreciate the feedback and will probably keep you guys posted on how the whole build is going.

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Posts
      603
      Quote Originally Posted by Deayeego View Post
      Well looks like to rebuilding or buying the same engine it is, I appreciate the feedback and will probably keep you guys posted on how the whole build is going.
      Maybe upgrade it a bit!

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

    9. #7
      Member KCCM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      1,533
      Fix & ditch your 2012 T5 and upgrade to a used 2015+ T6 AWD R-Design, which is probably one of the best engine & drivetrain combinations Volvo has ever produced.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Posts
      168
      Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post
      Fix & ditch your 2012 T5 and upgrade to a used 2015+ T6 AWD R-Design, which is probably one of the best engine & drivetrain combinations Volvo has ever produced.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Better than the 3.0 Polestar ?

    11. #9
      Quote Originally Posted by grahamR View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post
      Fix & ditch your 2012 T5 and upgrade to a used 2015+ T6 AWD R-Design, which is probably one of the best engine & drivetrain combinations Volvo has ever produced.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Better than the 3.0 Polestar ?
      Literally the same engine and transmission albeit with a slightly smaller turbo and tuned to produce slightly lower output. Real world straight line performance is very similar. I’m willing to bet my lightly tuned T6 is quicker than a stock 3.0T P* car. The price difference is significant and not necessarily worth the huge jump in cost for the real P* version.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      658
      Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post
      Fix & ditch your 2012 T5 and upgrade to a used 2015+ T6 AWD R-Design, which is probably one of the best engine & drivetrain combinations Volvo has ever produced.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      It's a thought I've had many a time in my oil guzzling T5 which should have included a funnel in the trunk. No spare donut was insult to injury...a repair can and no back-up cam for a $40,000 safe car. At least I've got my comfy seat and safety cage.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

    13. #11
      Member KCCM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      1,533
      Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      Literally the same engine and transmission albeit with a slightly smaller turbo and tuned to produce slightly lower output. Real world straight line performance is very similar. I’m willing to bet my lightly tuned T6 is quicker than a stock 3.0T P* car. The price difference is significant and not necessarily worth the huge jump in cost for the real P* version.
      Yes, unless you track your P* (and you really should have a much more highly tuned car if you do) the R-Design is just a better and more satisfying car for most driving.

      Going for a PoleStar 2 next, which I have great hopes for.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

    14. #12
      Member KCCM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      1,533
      Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      It's a thought I've had many a time in my oil guzzling T5 which should have included a funnel in the trunk. No spare donut was insult to injury...a repair can and no back-up cam for a $40,000 safe car. At least I've got my comfy seat and safety cage.
      Loaded V60 RD has all the toys and you can fit a donut in the back if you like.

      Too bad about the oil guzzling. Previous Volvo was an ‘07 V70R which still used less than a litre of synthetic between changes when I sold it with 335k km on the odometer. It was tuned and nominally had about the same power/weight, but our ‘16 V60RD just does everything better, quicker and smoother.

      As I said, looking forward to our P* 2 on order, which promises to be quicker, smoother and overall better again - no engine means no (premium) gasoline, no regular maintenance and a little greener-than-thou street cred


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      658
      Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post
      Loaded V60 RD has all the toys and you can fit a donut in the back if you like.

      Too bad about the oil guzzling. Previous Volvo was an ‘07 V70R which still used less than a litre of synthetic between changes when I sold it with 335k km on the odometer. It was tuned and nominally had about the same power/weight, but our ‘16 V60RD just does everything better, quicker and smoother.

      As I said, looking forward to our P* 2 on order, which promises to be quicker, smoother and overall better again - no engine means no (premium) gasoline, no regular maintenance and a little greener-than-thou street cred


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Actually it's ironic you posted your previous ride being the V70R, I've looked at some and wondered if it's really a trade down from my 2012 T5. Some low mileage V70 ones out there can be had on the cheap. Having the R or Polestar is great, can't argue that but I'll take a stock one at this point.

      Tired of going into Advance Auto and buying the 5 Quart Jugs.

      May change my T5 badge to 5 QT ...lol
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

    16. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. My 02 V70XC engine swap/trans swap for 2004 C70
      By wrcware in forum V70 & V70XC & XC70 (2001-2007)
      Replies: 34
      Last Post: 03-25-2018, 01:44 PM
    2. 2003 xc90 t6 engine swap can i do this ??? S80 t6
      By TaffyNZ in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 04-22-2017, 10:47 PM
    3. Xc90 T6 engine swap to a T5 2.5
      By TaffyNZ in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 03-30-2017, 07:36 PM
    4. Difference between XC90 T6 engine and the S80 T6 engine ?
      By barrysharp in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 08-21-2003, 06:32 AM