V90 CC Steering Wheel Material Failure
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Post V90 CC Steering Wheel Material Failure

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else is having an issue with their steering wheel material?

Service advisor said this wouldn't typically be covered under warranty. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have never seen this and as a service adviser im in and out of a lot of volvos. do you wear gloves or have you cleaned the steering wheel? something seems off, I just checked a 143k mile spa xc90 here and the wheel is dirty but undamaged. 30k is low enough miles, ask if service adviser can phone it in to rep, ive gotten stranger things covered under warranty

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      I have never seen this and as a service adviser im in and out of a lot of volvos. do you wear gloves or have you cleaned the steering wheel? something seems off, I just checked a 143k mile spa xc90 here and the wheel is dirty but undamaged. 30k is low enough miles, ask if service adviser can phone it in to rep, ive gotten stranger things covered under warranty
      Thanks for the response! I don't wear gloves and I have only cleaned the steering wheel once, with a Meguair's Gold Class Rich Leather wipe. The issue was there before I used the leather wipe though. I have emailed the photos to my service adviser to follow up. Thanks for your help!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Service adviser says wear on trim like that is only covered under the first 12 months or 10,000 miles.

I has 2 cars where a woman wore gloves and everything was like new. I think the oils and roughness in some peoples hands cause wear in leather also people who grab hardish and twist the hand cause leather to abrade

That's a new one for me too. We generally get cars with under 40 and I've never seen it. I have a 72k one on the lot and it doesn't show that sort of wear either.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
      Hello, I was wondering if anyone else is having an issue with their steering wheel material?

Service advisor said this wouldn't typically be covered under warranty. Anyone have any experience with this?
      That happens when you have "work'in man's hands".

i'd be pissed and would escalate this up the chain, or send it to another dealership for second opinion. again, more reason not to get the cream/beige interior...

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      That happens when you have "work'in man's hands".
      A true work'in man" doesn`t drive a Volvo a V90 But I`m a pilot and would definitely drive one with my soft hands, I want one! Steering wheel leather is rather odd, I`ve used a leather conditioner on a steering wheel and it made the leather soft and gooey, with no issue on the seats.
      Last edited by Thommykent; 01-14-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Ye i would call Volvo corp and talk to them . There is deff a defect . My friend had 2 tone leather as well and she was horrible of taking care of it and even after 3 years of lease no a single issue. Unless those wipes had something bad in them. But i would talk to volvo they might able to approve replacement. If this heated wheel new one will cost u $700 just the part with no labor. So dont give up ez
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Speak to service manager, if no luck, general manager. See if the can get Volvo to authorize a good will replacement of steering wheel.

Ive got 63,000 miles on my 15.5 s60, load my dogs into backsest carriers after day at park, and my steering wheel still good as new.

Seems like more of a defect.

V90 CC Steering Wheel Material Failure

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      i'd be pissed and would escalate this up the chain, or send it to another dealership for second opinion. again, more reason not to get the cream/beige interior...
      If you look at the pic in detail, the leather surface is peeling off. In theory and likely in practice, it could happen on any other color including black - maybe less noticeable.

My mixed blonde/gray wheel does not exhibit any of that at 44K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 01-14-2020 at 11:22 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Speak to service manager, if no luck, general manager. See if the can get Volvo to authorize a good will replacement of steering wheel.
      Thanks for the advice, I asked my service rep that question verbatim and will let you know what he says.

this is the result of using too much hand creams..
      I have been told
      My steering wheel is fine
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

Quote Originally Posted by ru1 View Post
      this is the result of using too much hand creams..
      I have been told
      My steering wheel is fine
      Hahah, I don't touch the stuff.

Our service rep has forwarded the pictures to his service manager. He will have to send off to our Volvo rep for review. We shall see.
      Last edited by Skidmark; 01-16-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Hahah, I don't touch the stuff.

Our service rep has forwarded the pictures to his service manager. He will have to send off to our Volvo rep for review. We shall see.
      Fingers crossed. Let us know what happens.

Do you wear any rings? The driver's door pull on my XC90 is gouged to death from the rings the previous owner wore. My wedding ring may not be innocent for increasing damage, either.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      Do you wear any rings? The driver's door pull on my XC90 is gouged to death from the rings the previous owner wore. My wedding ring may not be innocent for increasing damage, either.
      A wedding ring, but only for the last 4 months

Congratulations!
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

I have one tiny little spot on mine, right at the seam that appears to be wearing similar to this.

I was kind of bothered my it too. The car isn't that old and the interior is already wearing apart?

Congrats...however, I've had my car for about 1 year with no such a wear from my 10 y/o wedding ring. So, it is kind of strange.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Interesting to see where that goes... not acceptable. Should be replaced in my opinion, because it shows a round the wheel wear and not on just one spot.
      i have only seen this wear in previous gen Grand Cherokee's..

As a side note, because i see a lot of experts in this thread, does anybody know, whether steering wheel replacement, requires wheel allignement afterwards?
      Can the steering wheel, be installed off-center? I ve been told that it can only be installed in one certain position. I replaced mine and the steering wheel feels, its not centered when the car drives straight.. (sorry for the hijack..)
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

I’ve had steering wheels replaced and it did not require a front end alignment.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

I guess this is the final word on this matter - the response from the service adviser at Rick Hendrick Volvo in Charleston, SC.

I spoke to my service manager and he forwarded the request to our Volvo ASM. They responded and said they would not cover the steering because they deemed it normal wear. There is a company that we use typically for our preowned vehicles that restores interior wear that is fraction of the cost of replacing the steering wheel. If you would like I can put him in contact with you so he can look at the steering wheel and quote you a repair. Let me know.
      Emphasis added. Normal wear. Wow.

i would send a complaint to consumer affairs and to BBB and would tell that to Corp volvo . This deff looks like an issue if this be wear than every one of us would have same issue on our cars and i never seen this on low miles cars on any p3 or spa platforms.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

I guess this is the final word on this matter - the response from the service adviser at Rick Hendrick Volvo in Charleston, SC.

Stopped by there a few months ago when visiting a friend. They seemed pretty helpful.. Hmm.

I'll get you executive email addresses when I get home and write you a message on how to approach issue.

Sent you private message. Let me know if you hear back or get any luc.

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements