Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

V1 AIR INTAKE System by VAITRIX (Volvo SPA T5/T6) Official Thread

TO PURCHASE: HERE

APPLICATION

• VOLVO (SPA Platform) T5 / T6 Engines
      • +5 HP & +5 TQ (w/increases across the curve)

On the testing and design link to the website, we have information on flow testing this intake system alongside the stock system and filter. In addition to that there are results for dyno testing as well as some explanations on how this system works and where the improvements can be found.

SPECIFICATIONS:

| INSTALLATION | Instructions
      | TESTING & DESIGN | Dyno Test/Acceleration Tests
      | FILTER INFORMATION | See Here

FEATURES:

• 5 ply layers of 100%, high quality silicone
      • Our unique Kevtek technology, (kevlar stitching reinforcement)
      • Increased response, air velocity, and flow
      • Increased Torque and Power with improvement across the powerband
      • Revert back to stock easily
      • Simple installation, clamps & filter included
      • Symmetrical Polyester Material
      • Superior filtration and flow rates
      • Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty
      • Non-oiled filter media
      • Durable material that will last the lifetime of the vehicle
      • Filter Material Significantly out-performs the competition
      • Filtration rates down to 7 Microns (Grain of Sand 100 microns)
      • Will not contaminate MAF - MAF-Safe Media
      • Simple Filter Cleaning Process (found on the installation page)

The V1 AIR INTAKE by VAITRIX is a intake bolt on replacement that goes directly in place of the stock rubber intake piece on the T5 and T6 engines for Volvo SPA platform vehicles. This kit also replaces the factory air filter with a high flow drop-in filter upgrade (SPRINT FILTER). Utilized in our Shop Volvo XC90 (T5/T6) and our Volvo S60 (T6).

Our V1 intake is designed of high quality, heavy ply silicone material with multiple layers of kevlar reinforcement for rip-stop protection and durability. This combination allows for extreme durability, handling vacuum and boost pressures with ease. It also reduces the conduction and absorption of heat massively.

The overall function of this upgraded piece is to eliminate turbulent air and flow associated with the corrugated factory intake boot, while assisting in the optimization of ram air, velocity, and increased flow/density when paired with our high flow filter.

The result is an improved, stabilized torque curve across the powerband, and increased responsiveness. Both the V1 silicone construction and serviceable high flow filter will last the life of your Volvo.

----

VAITRIX USA | VOLVO SPA | Performance Parts & Tuning
      www.vaitrixusa.com| [email protected]

Follow us:
      Facebook | Instagram | Youtube

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Last edited by Kamil; 01-14-2020 at 06:37 PM.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Cool product, absolutely bullcrap marketing. Cools the MAF which increases response? Total horsecrap

If you're trying to say more air = more power that's fine, but a stupid statement like cooling a MAF (yes, i'm aware that's literally how a MAF works) is just dumb marketing aimed for suckers.
      Last edited by Avboden; 01-14-2020 at 08:22 PM.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Cool product, absolutely bullcrap marketing. Cools the MAF which increases response? Total horsecrap

If you're trying to say more air = more power that's fine, but a stupid statement like cooling a MAF (yes, i'm aware that's literally how a MAF works) is just dumb marketing aimed for suckers.
      I donít consider it bull crap but I do agree it could be better worded.

If the filter results in cooler temperature at MAF it would result with higher fuel injection and more power does increasing response of the engine and increasing throttle response ďfeelĒ.

Keep in mind MAF is a hot wire sensor and cooling it would result in telling the ECM to inject more fuel.

Now the clams to cool the MAF is what I would person like to see documented.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      Looks promising...
      Agree, great to see some products come out for SPA vehicles. And also nice job Vaitrix showing the dyno testing, so many intake/CAI producers make some pretty heavy claims with no data...
      On order: 2020 S60 Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

Quote Originally Posted by beers View Post
      Agree, great to see some products come out for SPA vehicles. And also nice job Vaitrix showing the dyno testing, so many intake/CAI producers make some pretty heavy claims with no data...
      Exactly, super excited to have some small easy items to install on the car and manufacturers taking the time to develop solutions for our platform.

Dyno results speak volumes, and as you mentioned a lot of companies donít have them.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Quote Originally Posted by beers View Post
      Agree! Nice work, great to see dyno numbers. This is a nice, simple upgrade to go along with my Polestar tune.

Any plans for a drop-in turbo upgrade? Nothing crazy, something like a K03 to K04 upgrade that was available for the Audi A4 back in the late 90's. It was a 100% drop in replacement, capable of about +40hp gain. If the S60's turbo is a Mitsubishi TD04, there should be plenty of upgrade options and wheels available for it.
      Last edited by AJS1KR; 01-15-2020 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJS1KR View Post
      Agree! Nice work, great to see dyno numbers. This is a nice, simple upgrade to go along with my Polestar tune.

Any plans for a drop-in turbo upgrade? Nothing crazy, something like a K03 to K04 upgrade that was available for the Audi A4 back in the late 90's. It was a 100% drop in replacement, capable of about +40hp gain. If the S60's turbo is a Mitsubishi TD04, there should be plenty of upgrade options and wheels available for it.
      Until a proper ECU tune can be done directly without piggy backs no one should touch the turbo, especially the T6 with the supercharger involved and the whole boost handoff process
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

$175 for a length of silicone and a lower density air filter....this could be pieced together for a fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanR View Post
      $175 for a length of silicone and a lower density air filter....this could be pieced together for a fraction of the price.
      You want to get that done and sell it for that then?

You think that the car you paid $50k for cost that to manufacture?

I get it if they are asking more then the market price but this is reasonable for the testing, development, and manufacturing that took place to deliver this solution.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post

I donít consider it bull crap but I do agree it could be better worded.

If the filter results in cooler temperature at MAF it would result with higher fuel injection and more power does increasing response of the engine and increasing throttle response ďfeelĒ.

Keep in mind MAF is a hot wire sensor and cooling it would result in telling the ECM to inject more fuel.

Now the clams to cool the MAF is what I would person like to see documented.
      A MAF sensor in this case does more than just assist in the combustion process. Luckily we're not tuning in the dark ages, most newer cars are completely wideband/closed loop and are incredibly intelligent. Changes to fuel and air, along with a number of other factors, can be made on the fly and with accuracy. This allows one to take advantage of certain factors.

It's a simple equation, and air density is what we're concerned with. By improving pressure, you create denser air. Denser air removes more heat from the MAF. The response in resistance/voltage applied to the MAF indicates to the ECU a higher mass air flow. This increase in air density (which is the target) allows the system to maintain a desired pressure ratio for power/torque output and combustion at a lower compressor speed. The turbo works less to deliver equivalent output, improves efficiency. By improving intake efficiency (not just at the physical intake itself, but all the way through the system and into the manifold), you're improving the responsiveness of torque delivery (through boost) at a given moment, especially after shifts or going on initial throttle, and the efficiency improves as the demand for air grows.

These improvements are evident not only from actual performance/dyno testing, but we've logged the voltage off of the input signal wires for the MAF to view the changes (that's what we do a lot of here, work with wiring/signals and electronics).

They can be seen/felt on the road as well when viewing the right data. This is precisely why we setup and installed our boost gauge kit virtually on day one: https://vaitrixusa.com/collections/g...on-boost-gauge

We don't want owners to just take our word, this is why we offer tools like the gauge. So that they can educate themselves to become familiar with this engine platform and it's behavior firsthand.
      ----

Follow us:

Unfortunately not at the moment, although this is something we have talked about. I was concerned that getting at the turbo may be too difficult for people initially, and I'd like to progress more in development on tuning until limitations are found. This way we know exactly what we're working with.

A simple +1 upgrade (like a modified stock turbo or stuffed turbo) would still be operable on something like a piggyback tune (albeit with some adjustments), but anything more than that and ECU tuning will be a primary goal in order to extract the most safely possible out of a setup like that. We make methanol systems as well, I'm curious what we could achieve with something like that also.
      Last edited by VaitrixUSA; 01-15-2020 at 12:55 PM.
      ----

Follow us:

If you can find on off the shelf piece that's molded off the stock intake boot to be an exact fit, reinforced with 4 layers of kevlar stitching (instead of fiberglass), and has a stepped lip design internally (like the stock piece) in order to reduce as little interference to flow with the inlets on either side, then by all means....

The filter makes up more than half of the price. It's not just your average K&N drop in.
      ----

Follow us:

Quote Originally Posted by VaitrixUSA View Post
      If you can find on off the shelf piece that's molded off the stock intake boot to be an exact fit, reinforced with 4 layers of kevlar stitching (instead of fiberglass), and has a stepped lip design internally (like the stock piece) in order to reduce as little interference to flow with the inlets on either side, then by all means....

The filter makes up more than half of the price. It's not just your average K&N drop in.
      If you’re making power on that filter, you’ve only done so by reducing the filtration media. By logic, this can only mean that you are getting more air in at the risk of unfiltered air getting through...exactly what k&n do, for a fraction for the price. And yes, I’m sure I could find a silicone tube in a box around the house to rice up my Volvo a little bit.

Unfortunately not at the moment, although this is something we have talked about. I was concerned that getting at the turbo may be too difficult for people initially, and I'd like to progress more in development on tuning until limitations are found. This way we know exactly what we're working with.

A simple +1 upgrade (like a modified stock turbo or stuffed turbo) would still be operable on something like a piggyback tune (albeit with some adjustments), but anything more than that and ECU tuning will be a primary goal in order to extract the most safely possible out of a setup like that. We make methanol systems as well, I'm curious what we could achieve with something like that also.
      Thanks for the info. Maybe a 16T wheel upgrade for the stock turbo. After I got the Polestar tune on my T5, I feel the turbo surging more, and wonder if the stock T5 turbo is being maxed out with Polestar (creating back pressure, and lowering VE at higher rpms).

A reasonably priced bolt-in intercooler kit would be nice too for the Polestar tune (one that doesn't require cutting).

If youíre making power on that filter, youíve only done so by reducing the filtration media. By logic, this can only mean that you are getting more air in at the risk of unfiltered air getting through...exactly what k&n do, for a fraction for the price. And yes, Iím sure I could find a silicone tube in a box around the house to rice up my Volvo a little bit.
      Are you saying the only way to charge a filter flow rate is by using less material? You can have different filter materials with different flow rates, not sure what your point is here.
      I get you don't like the product so don't buy it, I don't understand snipping at post repeatedly when they have provided data to back their claims and polite replies.
      Whatever works for you though
      Have a good day

Thanks for the info. Maybe a 16T wheel upgrade for the stock turbo. After I got the Polestar tune on my T5, I feel the turbo surging more, and wonder if the stock T5 turbo is being maxed out with Polestar (creating back pressure, and lowering VE at higher rpms).

A reasonably priced bolt-in intercooler kit would be nice too for the Polestar tune (one that doesn't require cutting).
      Definitely something we will look into. It could be the turbo limitations, or possibly another restriction. I would think the Polestar calibration is mapped to avoid compressor surge, so possibly it's a physical restriction of some sort.

We have already started with the front end off the car and measuring for an intercooler upgrade. The factory piping is actually fairly well sorted, but we may replace those with upgrades if there's any benefit to be had. Definitely needs to be made to fit with no alterations to the car.
      ----

Follow us:

If youíre making power on that filter, youíve only done so by reducing the filtration media. By logic, this can only mean that you are getting more air in at the risk of unfiltered air getting through...exactly what k&n do, for a fraction for the price. And yes, Iím sure I could find a silicone tube in a box around the house to rice up my Volvo a little bit.
      As someone mentioned already, that's just not true, you don't need to reduce filter media in order to achieve an improvement. Oversized pleats (like you commonly find on factory filters) contribute greatly to the disruption of laminar flow. It's possible to use an improved material without sacrificing filtration. Sprint filters use exclusively a patented polyester fabric, far less porous than cotton. Utilizing this filter media allows for the elimination of deep pleating and replaces with a single uniform structure that doesn't disturb air flow, while supplying equal filtration (up to 7 microns of filtration for the P08F1), for reference a grain of beach-sand is 60 microns. Average micron filtration on the polyester media is 33-50microns.

This why we choose to use these filters, not for re-sale purposes (if I wanted to do that, I'd use K&N, they're much cheaper), but because they're the best. We've flow tested many K&N filter upgrades throughout the years on various cars, and the lackluster results are precisely why we don't use them.
      ----

Follow us:

for reference a grain of beach-sand is 60 microns. Average micron filtration on the polyester media is 33-50microns.
      Your website, https://vaitrixusa.com/products/spri...-t5-t6-engines, says: "Filtration rates down to 7 Microns (Grain of Sand 100 microns)"

Per your the PDF, for Sprint Filter Testing Data, http://eurocompulsion.net/SFTESTING.pdf:

"The fabric is formed by woven threads having a diameter starting from 22 microns to 70 microns each, thereby creating a filtering mesh of 37 microns to 85 microns."

So what are you going with, because there is conflicting data everywhere I look.

As Avboden said above, "Cool product, absolutely bullcrap marketing."

Your website, https://vaitrixusa.com/products/spri...-t5-t6-engines, says: "Filtration rates down to 7 Microns (Grain of Sand 100 microns)"

Per your the PDF, for Sprint Filter Testing Data, http://eurocompulsion.net/SFTESTING.pdf:

"The fabric is formed by woven threads having a diameter starting from 22 microns to 70 microns each, thereby creating a filtering mesh of 37 microns to 85 microns."

So what are you going with, because there is conflicting data everywhere I look.

So, you'd rather try this tactic than prove your statements scientifically. Very cool. Glad you clicked the links and read the information at least.

The P08F1-85 (which is what this particular filter uses) can filter down to 7 microns, depending on the shape and stretch of the folds, per Sprint.

Regardless of which number you choose (pick any one), filtration is still better than cotton filters, and as good (probably better) than the stock filter.

I think you've made your opinion known (though with no point to really prove other than for the sake of your opinion), so I think it's time to move on.
      ----

Follow us:

AGREED. But hey, you spend your money the way you want.

So, you'd rather try this tactic than prove your statements scientifically. Very cool. Glad you clicked the links and read the information at least.

The P08F1-85 (which is what this particular filter uses) can filter down to 7 microns, depending on the shape and stretch of the folds, per Sprint.

Regardless of which number you choose (pick any one), filtration is still better than cotton filters, and as good (probably better) than the stock filter.

I think you've made your opinion known (though with no point to really prove other than for the sake of your opinion), so I think it's time to move on.
      So you have no idea what data to base your marketing on, so why not try all of them? Scientific data doesn't work like that (pick any one, really?). How many states are in the USA? 42? 57? I don't know pick one lmao. Snake-oil salesman always seem to have the answers and information, but never seem to read through it. Wonder how sound your "booster" boxes are

Guys, why are you all jumping on them?

They spend time and money developing a solution for your car. If for whatever reason itís not for you donít buy it.

If you think there is a misleading claim or they are misrepresenting data show it. But they have dyno proven results and a solid product.

They are not Apple when it comes to marketing we get it but move on if you donít want to buy it.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

They spend time and money developing a solution for your car. If for whatever reason itís not for you donít buy it.

If you think there is a misleading claim or they are misrepresenting data show it. But they have dyno proven results and a solid product.

They are not Apple when it comes to marketing we get it but move on if you donít want to buy it.
      I have already provided links, to their own website that shows there is data contradictory to the information they are trying to put out now. Please see my previous postings.

They spend time and money developing a solution for your car.
      If for whatever reason itís not for you donít buy it.

What was the problem that this solution will fix??

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      What was the problem that this solution will fix??
      There is no ďproblemĒ for say (you could say the restrictions in air supply is a problem) just opportunity for additional performance thatís proven with the dyno numbers, and even possible MPG gains.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

There is no ďproblemĒ for say (you could say the restrictions in air supply is a problem)
      just opportunity for additional performance thatís proven with the dyno numbers,
      and even possible MPG gains
      I'll throw in a K&N filter and "imagine" all the gains. The results will be the same.

So you have no idea what data to base your marketing on, so why not try all of them? Scientific data doesn't work like that (pick any one, really?). How many states are in the USA? 42? 57? I don't know pick one lmao. Snake-oil salesman always seem to have the answers and information, but never seem to read through it. Wonder how sound your "booster" boxes are
      Snake-oil salesman? Wow. I'm not a salesman, and definitely don't sell snake oil.

First, it was price. Then, you can make it yourself. Then, the filter doesn't filter. Now snake oil salesman. I think the relevance is lost at this point.

I believe the answers to your complaints have been pretty specific. You don't seem to care what information is given, only that we all hear your opinion and agree with it.

If you've got some sort of issue you want to honestly debate or hash out, you can contact me privately. Otherwise, I'm going to answer genuine questions and concerns from those interested in what we offer.
      ----

Follow us:

Whats important here is to be cautious when buying products from any company who attempts to back up "scientific" data using constantly changing variables, and may not have a complete view of what parameters they are changing.

Love it! Looks like mfg'd (or at least engineered) in Changhua, TW, my old man's home town, based on the google pics. This is much cheaper than the polestar tune for those who don't need that kind of whole-system changes.

You guys stopped shipping ocean freight from Asia in 2017? Let me know if you need an affordable import air/ocean freight forwader/customs broker if the volume on these increases to about a full pallet. (Unlikely, but.. you never know).

Jeez, it's just an intake. From reading all these comments, one would think you're discussing theoretical physics. Let the company present their product, and everyone here being intelligent adults, we can make the decision for ourselves to purchase or not. I thought the BMW forums were rough for vendors
      Last edited by AJS1KR; 01-16-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      Love it! Looks like mfg'd (or at least engineered) in Changhua, TW, my old man's home town, based on the google pics. This is much cheaper than the polestar tune for those who don't need that kind of whole-system changes.

You guys stopped shipping ocean freight from Asia in 2017? Let me know if you need an affordable import air/ocean freight forwader/customs broker if the volume on these increases to about a full pallet. (Unlikely, but.. you never know).
      Haha, thanks, but we're doing okay on that front for now!

Yes, Simon (Vaitrix founder and our partner) is from Changhua, TW. We have offices in TW, AUS, Singapore, Malaysia, and the US. All of the electronics and circuitry are designed and mfg'd in-house (at the TW HQ). Our silicone is designed and made here in the US. We also develop/make harnesses here as well.

Simon may start offering the intake pieces in TW, Volvo is becoming very popular there. To reiterate the above, none of us are truly salesmen. We're technically skilled, avid car enthusiasts, and enjoy using that to make cars we enjoy go faster.
      ----

Follow us:

may start offering the intake pieces in TW, Volvo is becoming very popular there.
      Totes.. we wanted an XC60 for Taipei, but it's just a stupidly wide car for them tiny lil streets. Even though I ride scooters I'm afraid of running them over while there. I saw parents in Da'an rolling around in my XC90 while dropping off kids and was just flabbergasted.

I kinda want the intake just to say I have a Taiwanese part on a Swedish car (owned by China, obvs). Maybe when big boss releases it in Taiwan I'll have it sent to my parents so it'll go in their luggage lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      Totes.. we wanted an XC60 for Taipei, but it's just a stupidly wide car for them tiny lil streets. Even though I ride scooters I'm afraid of running them over while there. I saw parents in Da'an rolling around in my XC90 while dropping off kids and was just flabbergasted.

I kinda want the intake just to say I have a Taiwanese part on a Swedish car (owned by China, obvs). Maybe when big boss releases it in Taiwan I'll have it sent to my parents so it'll go in their luggage lol.
      He's already had a number of XC40s come through the shop (more so than the 60 or 90). That's probably due to the reasons you've listed lol.

Based on how many we've seen thus far, they'll begin appearing in force on the roads around Taipei.
      ----

Follow us:

But they have dyno proven results
      Dyno numbers can vary with the operator, the day of the week, the ambient temperature/humidity/dollars, the phase of the moon...

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast