Volvo trunk repainting dilemma
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo trunk repainting dilemma

Hi all, so I need some help. I’m very ocd about my Volvo S60 and it’s condition. Over the summer when I wasn’t very experienced in paint correction (I’m still not super experienced but have enough knowledge to polish) I brought my Volvo to a body shop to have the top of the trunk lid wet sanded and buffed. They did a great job. Fast forward to last Saturday and I noticed a little swirl mark, scratch in that same area. So I took a little scratch x and rubbed it over the area by hand and burnt through the clear coat. In that area. I’m confident it’s clear coat burn through because if I do it again I get color transfer. So here’s my dilemma. I’m going to get the trunk repainted. I have the optional Volvo trunk spoiler, not the r design one. The body shop said they can take the spoiler off and only paint the top part of the trunk. And then I wouldn’t see the tape line because it’s under the spoiler. Not sure if I should go that way or if I should have the whole trunk repainted.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If the tape line is going to be hidden by the spoiler, I think one would have to have their head examined to want to spend 4x as much to have the entire trunk sanded and repainted.
      Not to mention you introduce the risk of the color not blending properly with the aged paint further multiplying the problem.

Be smart. Have them do the spot paint and be done with it.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      If the tape line is going to be hidden by the spoiler, I think one would have to have their head examined to want to spend 4x as much to have the entire trunk sanded and repainted.
      Not to mention you introduce the risk of the color not blending properly with the aged paint further multiplying the problem.

Be smart. Have them do the spot paint and be done with it.
      Thanks for the reply! I have used this body shop twice before, to repaint my front and rear bumpers. They didn’t blend into any other panels when they painted the bumpers and the color match is absolutely perfect! I’m very friendly with the owner and they will paint the whole trunk for the same price. I’m just paranoid about the badges on the trunk and how they will put them back on correctly.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BenRothman View Post
      Thanks for the reply! I have used this body shop twice before, to repaint my front and rear bumpers. They didn’t blend into any other panels when they painted the bumpers and the color match is absolutely perfect! I’m very friendly with the owner and they will paint the whole trunk for the same price. I’m just paranoid about the badges on the trunk and how they will put them back on correctly.
      I'd still limit my risk and have them only do the spot paint. If at the end you are not satisfied, then I would take the more drastic approach of respraying the entire trunk.

What model is this that it requires this much attention, BTW?
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by BenRothman View Post
      I'd still limit my risk and have them only do the spot paint. If at the end you are not satisfied, then I would take the more drastic approach of respraying the entire trunk.

What model is this that it requires this much attention, BTW?

The model is nothing special. It’s a 2017 Volvo S60 t5 Inscription platinum. I guess some people could call it a bit rare because it came from the factory with the optional sport pedals, the optional 19inch wheels, and the trunk spoiler. I don’t consider it rare I’m just a huge car person and love my car. I think I’ve decided to just have them paint the top part. I called the shop a couple of minutes ago and they told even if I didn’t have the spoiler on the car they would make it seamless and you wouldn’t be able to see any tape line and it would look perfect. And based on the previous work they did on both my front and rear bumpers I trust them.

I say go with your gut, have them paint the entire lid if that's what you want. If they can match the paint color perfectly, I'm sure they can put the badges back on without an issue.

IF you are really concerned, just talk to the shop about it and I'm sure they can tell you their process for re-installing the badges.

Quote Originally Posted by TimATX View Post
      I say go with your gut, have them paint the entire lid if that's what you want. If they can match the paint color perfectly, I'm sure they can put the badges back on without an issue.

IF you are really concerned, just talk to the shop about it and I'm sure they can tell you their process for re-installing the badges.
      After talking with them and they took my through their whole process, it makes sense to just have the top of the trunk painted. Whenever I go to this body shop there are always exotics outside. I told them even if it was more expensive to paint the whole trunk I was I willing to do it. They said they could do it but it wouldn't make sense. I trust their ability with painting just the top of the trunk

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements