Keyfob Issues
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Keyfob Issues

Keyfob Issues

I purchased a used 2017 S90 T5 Momentum in April 2018. My wife was the primary driver of the car. When I drove it I noticed the few times I used the buttons on the keyfob they were not very responsive. It would take two or three presses to unlock a door or open the trunk.

Recently we sold our other car and I have been using the S90 more. The keyfob had gotten worse. It was taking up to ten presses of the keyfob to get a response. Worse yet on several occasions while I was in the car a message appeared indicating the key was not present, when it was in fact in my pocket.

I was thinking of taking it in for service, but decided to try a new battery in the keyfob before I did. Replacing the battery solved all the problems. The buttons now work on the first push and I have received no other error messages.

What is disappointing in all of this is the car never indicated that the keyfob battery needed to be replaced as the owner's manual indicates.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Interesting,
      I replaced my S90 2018 keyfob battery a couple of months ago. The keyfob was responsive and I only changed the battery because it displayed in the dash that it was low and needed replacing.
      2018 S90 T5 Momentum

the car never indicated that the keyfob battery needed to be replaced
      Yes it did. The keyfob stopped working properly.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Yes it did. The keyfob stopped working properly.
      There is an indicator on the dash that tells you when to replace the battery. It never lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by cpq100 View Post
      There is an indicator on the dash that tells you when to replace the battery. It never lit up.
      There's an indicator?!?!?!? :-O

I never got any messages from the car...other than the hidden/unspoken/indirect message "if I'm not unlocking the door, it must be because I'm getting no signal from the keyfob"
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      There's an indicator?!?!?!? :-O

I never got any messages from the car...other than the hidden/unspoken/indirect message "if I'm not unlocking the door, it must be because I'm getting no signal from the keyfob"
      According to the owner's manual there is. It is in the Locks and Alarm section of my manual. I tried posting a picture of it here, but I had no luck in doing so.

Not sure what the voltage threshold is to get the warning to come on. I've had several customers with concerns about intermittent function of the remote with the remote battery at about 2.75 to 2.80 volts. The threshold must be lower than that. Next time I get one with the message I'll try to remember to measure the voltage and update this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Not sure what the voltage threshold is to get the warning to come on. I've had several customers with concerns about intermittent function of the remote with the remote battery at about 2.75 to 2.80 volts. The threshold must be lower than that. Next time I get one with the message I'll try to remember to measure the voltage and update this.
      I still have the old battery, as I was planning to recycle it. I measured it using a cheap digital multimeter and it measured 2.5 volts.

I was finally able to get a shot of the icon that should display when the keyfob battery needs replaced. It is below.

nothing showing bellow.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Sorry. Had to get my account updated so I could post attachments. Hopefully it works this time.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Two days ago, my FOB began requiring exactly four presses to unlock after 4+ hrs of vehicle inactivity. XC60 is 22 months old and the FOB battery read 2.76 volts (professional meter).

It worked fine on the first press within the 4 hr activity window, but not after. It appears the electronics take a power-saving nap at ~4 hrs and it requires a stronger RF signal to wake-up.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      Two days ago, my FOB began requiring exactly four presses to unlock after 4+ hrs of vehicle inactivity. XC60 is 22 months old and the FOB battery read 2.76 volts (professional meter).

It worked fine on the first press within the 4 hr activity window, but not after. It appears the electronics take a power-saving nap at ~4 hrs and it requires a stronger RF signal to wake-up.
      You may want to try a new battery. From what Tech said above it seems like you are right on the brink of needing a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by cpq100 View Post
      You may want to try a new battery. From what Tech said above it seems like you are right on the brink of needing a new one.
      Sorry, I thought speaking in past tense and checking the voltage indicated it was obvious I changed the battery.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

So we are complaining about the need to replace key fob batteries now? :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

Yes i had to replace my battery as well in my 2018 s90 after 2 years when my wifes 2017 s60 that we got new still works fine . Had to do same for my mothers in law s90 but my moms 2017 s60 still works as my wifes so something doesnt make sense to me . Why p3 platform batteries are fine but SPA kills them with in 2 years .
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud9blue View Post
      So we are complaining about the need to replace key fob batteries now? :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      No, just the fact that if there's a low battery indicator it should work as intended and most of us have had to replace the batteries without this warning.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Batteries in BOTH remotes for our 2017 V90CC died within one week of each other with zero low battery indication. Neither would unlock the door, but the car started fine. Fortunately, they didn't die at exactly the same time. I could NOT open the remotes using the instructions in the online manual. The dealer replaced both batteries under warranty.

I still cannot open the remote. Hopefully I'll never need the key hidden inside.

One of my key fob button became not functioning in morning, and sometimes not detected. No indication on driver display. Replaced the 2032 battery and works like new again. The other key fob still works fine. Battery was measured 2.9V, new battery 3.3V.

I am surprised it only lasted about a little over two years. Battery in key remote not the keyless entry type for my old car lasts 8 to 10 years.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      One of my key fob button became not functioning in morning, and sometimes not detected. No indication on driver display. Replaced the 2032 battery and works like new again. The other key fob still works fine. Battery was measured 2.9V, new battery 3.3V.

I am surprised it only lasted about a little over two years. Battery in key remote not the keyless entry type for my old car lasts 8 to 10 years.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Yep any car i owned before with non keyless battery was never changed in remotes some of those cars were 15 years old.
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

I still cannot open the remote. Hopefully I'll never need the key hidden inside.
      I haven't been able to open ours for two years now (2018 V90). But I have satisfied myself that it can be forced open with something knife-like, or a small screwdriver. So I know that in dire straits, I can at least destroy the fob to get at the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Laslonimne View Post
      Seriously? It's super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      I haven't been able to open ours for two years now (2018 V90). But I have satisfied myself that it can be forced open with something knife-like, or a small screwdriver. So I know that in dire straits, I can at least destroy the fob to get at the key.
      Slide the black tab on the top, (and hold) slide the cover down about 1/8", lift off. Both of mine come off easily. Take them to the dealer and they can show you how.

Do you actually think I haven't been following the proper procedure because I can't read?

Mine gets stuck too. I think the slider tab on the top of my key has come loose. The last time I changed my battery, it took me 45 minutes to get it open. My wife's key opens the first try.

I wish I had a trick for you... But in my case it was simple persistence.
      New Daily Driver: 2018 V90 T6 R-Design - P* Tuned, Passion Red
      Old Daily Driver: 2008 VW MKV GTI - APR Tuned, Candy White
      Backup/Hauler: 2019 Subaru Ascent - LP Aventure Lifted, Abyss Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      Seriously? It's super easy.
      This video is NOTHING like the instructions in the online manual. My keys open easily using this method.

Thanks much for posting this.
      D

Quote Originally Posted by Laslonimne View Post
      This video is NOTHING like the instructions in the online manual. My keys open easily using this method.

Thanks much for posting this.
      D
      While I don't agree the video is nothing like the instructions in the manual I agree it is helpful.
      In the manual the #2 arrow is bent and going up. To me it meant slide back and the cover can be lifted off and this is the way it is opened. Video is a good post.

My keys open easily using this method.
      Agree. Now my fob opens.

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements