SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2004 XC90 T6 Chugging Badly

846 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ChitownV 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

This just happened on my way home, though yesterday I noticed a few hard feeling "clunk" esque vibrations when at idle. They were arrhythmic but reminded me of a misfire. Then today after a run down the freeway I felt the clunks and they worsened quickly. No check engine light, but by the time I got to my driveway the car was definitely mad. It was literally chugging. I suspect coil failure, but still, no check engine light. The thing sounds like a damn marine diesel right now. I don't dare drive it anywhere. Power is gone, vibrates like mad, very rhythmically.

I am a proficient enough mechanic to change a coil or vacuum hose, but these engines are pretty complex. I don't know where to start, honest.

Thanks for all your help, I need to get to work tomorrow!

Rowan

#2 ·
I had something similar in my 2.5 a few months ago. Accelerating on the freeway and then a slight clunk/hesitation. Mine never happened on idle, but it was increasingly occurring on the freeway. I finally pinpointed the problem when going up a steep grade. Under load, the motor knocked and was losing power. After some questions/research in this forum, the coils seemed to be the main culprit.

After replacing all my coils, the problem went away. I assume I experienced misfires. The check engine light on the dash never appeared. I don't recall if an error code appeared on my scanner.

Do you have a VIDA or cheap scanner to check for codes? If not, I use a bluetooth dongle (around $15 on Amazon) and the Torque app on my phone to check for codes.

#3 ·
Hey guys,

This just happened on my way home, though yesterday I noticed a few hard feeling "clunk" esque vibrations when at idle. They were arrhythmic but reminded me of a misfire. Then today after a run down the freeway I felt the clunks and they worsened quickly. No check engine light, but by the time I got to my driveway the car was definitely mad. It was literally chugging. I suspect coil failure, but still, no check engine light. The thing sounds like a damn marine diesel right now. I don't dare drive it anywhere. Power is gone, vibrates like mad, very rhythmically.

I am a proficient enough mechanic to change a coil or vacuum hose, but these engines are pretty complex. I don't know where to start, honest.

Thanks for all your help, I need to get to work tomorrow!

Rowan
What about the history of the vehicle? Miles on engine, maintenance history, etc.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.