SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What would you buy - If you were to leave Volvo or trade in your current Volvo

11K views 103 replies 48 participants last post by  Highwayman 
#1 ·
So, I own a polestar tuned V60 RD Platinum with every feature/option and while I love the car, it's a 2015.5 with upwards of 82,000 miles on it and I'm always wondering if/when I do decide to get rid of it, what'll be my next purchase. I can't for the life of me narrow down a more practical and comfortable, yet sporty and just over all fun to drive vehicle.

I've had Volvo, Volkswagen, Mazda, Subaru, Jeep, Pontiac, Mitsubishi, Scion as a reference.

What would you consider purchasing or moving onto if you decided to get rid of your S60/V60, etc? Stick with Volvo or choose something else?

#2 ·
82k ain't sh*t. That car has another 100k+ easy in it if properly maintained, and I don't doubt you're capable of that.

That said, if you get bored? Mercedes AMG or Audi S/RS. Go hard.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I maintain it regularly and know as long as I keep up on everything, it'll last me. I drive a about 35,000 miles a year so I rack miles up pretty quickly. Part of me is contemplating picking up a runner vehicle for my 100 mile a day work commute so I can dial back the miles on the V60 buuuutt coming from the VAG scene, an RS3 would be awesome! Never really looked into the AMG reliability for higher mileage.

I'm in the same boat! Given Volvo's recent tendency to lean toward (in my opinion) more "old man" cars and SUVs, I don't think my next car will be a Volvo. I have also become very attached to rebel blue (everyone comments on how fun it is) and don't want to give it up. Once again, Volvo has gone "blah" in the color department. I think my next car will be an Audi A5 in turbo blue. I had an Audi prior to my switch to Volvos and have always missed the interior refinement of it.

I totally understand - See my comment above. The P3 interior isn't too bad but there's not much like an Audi interior. Mine is also a Rebel Blue so I totally get where you're coming from. For ****s and giggles, I priced out a new V60 Polestar and thought, maaan when I seen the colors!

#10 ·
Mine is also a Rebel Blue so I totally get where you're coming from. For ****s and giggles, I priced out a new V60 Polestar and thought, maaan when I seen the colors!
Driving by a Volvo lot these days is like driving by the Buick lot. No more passion red, rebel blue, or anything resembling sporty and fun. :thumbdown:

#3 · (Edited)
I'm in the same boat! Given Volvo's recent tendency to lean toward (in my opinion) more "old man" cars and SUVs, I don't think my next car will be a Volvo. I have also become very attached to rebel blue (everyone comments on how fun it is) and don't want to give it up. Once again, Volvo has gone "blah" in the color department. I think my next car will be an Audi A5 in turbo blue. I had an Audi prior to my switch to Volvos and have always missed the interior refinement of it.

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I went from a 98 A4 2.8 Quattro to an 04 S80 then an 06 V70, and... The Audi interior was so much better across the board despite being 8+ years older. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Volvos, but it's not the same.

That said, I'm planning to build the S40 big time. Can't say it will happen tomorrow, my budget is definitely limiting, but I have huge plans for my car. Volvo can keep up with "the best" 100%.

#5 ·
The Volvo Concept Coup, but since that's not happening probably the S60 T8. The Audi A5 is a very close second if only it wasn't a VW.

#6 ·
The problem with VAG (since forever) is there are good ones and bad ones, and you don't know which you have until it's too late.

Back when I had the 98 A4 my sister had practically the same car (year, most specs, etc) except mine was a 5 speed and hers was an auto. Her car was bought off a long time family friend with full dealer maintenance records and almost half as many miles as mine. I bought mine off some guy named Steve in Atlanta. My car was basically problem free to 250k+ miles. Her car was a total sh*t show from about 80k (we bought it with about 60k on it).

In comparison.... Never seen a reasonably well maintained Volvo die under 200k. My S80 was a /garbage/ ex-rental, fell apart around 190k. The V70 was well maintained and was killed by road debris at ~230k with no major issues.

Dear Volvo: please make cool cars again, I don't want to buy potential garbage.

#7 · (Edited)
I recently had a 2019 V60 T6 AWD P* as a loaner and really liked it. Even though it was peppy little booger, it still felt like a 4 banger. I really enjoy the torque and feel of the AWD turbo'd inline 6.

I would love to trade up from my 2012 T6 AWD to a fully loaded 2015.5 or 2016 V60 or XC60. Between the hockey bag (3 times a week in the winter) and the golf clubs (3 times a week in the summer), the trunk of the S60 suffers a little. Would love the extra room on the V60's or XC60's trunk.

If I was to go outside the brand, the Audi's are sweet cars. Love the looks and handling of the A4 or A5.

#11 ·
It'd be a number of years for me, but something like the VW ID Space Vizzion. I *think* I would want an electric station wagon and this concept is literally the only thing out there that fits the bill.

Otherwise, some other sort of wagon.

View attachment 58097

#12 ·
Definitely not a Volvo for me. IMHO they are nothing special anymore for the money you pay.
Not sure what I want yet but it's got to be more special/practical than just a FWD (or FWD based) 4-door sedan with automatic transmission. There are many less expensive and/or better built options if I want to go that way again.

#14 ·
Given Volvo's recent tendency to lean toward (in my opinion) more "old man" cars and SUVs, I don't think my next car will be a Volvo.
It's the younger folks who are pushing for the SUVs... In the XC90 class Volvo gets the highest percentage of young affluent market on a per sale basis. Young folks in general don't want wagons and sedans (I'm not part of that group myself... but I would go broke if didn't have SUVs to sell to the young crowd. Nearly every sedan I sell goes to an older person. Wagons are a bit of a mix, but not too many get sold.

If I had to pick another lux brand I think I'd enjoy selling.... Probably BMW simply because they seem to have a focused expectation (even if it's not delivered upon always). I don't care for brands that folks get by accident. Volvo gets so many folks who have been around with the brand for a long time and Volvo is expected to be safe, comfortable, and not over the top, and they are. I'm not sure why someone buys an Audi, Lexus, or Lincoln other than an accident or some sort of weird excel sheet value selection. BMW is a drivers car by expectation. I'd probably cry if I was there as they ended manual transmissions in the 3 series... but a few used ones will be around for a few years. But you sell even fewer of those than you do sedans in the first place! And they do have convertibles, which I personally love.

#15 ·
It's the younger folks who are pushing for the SUVs...
I guess I should have better written my sentence - the "old man" was in reference to just the cars. I don't mind the SUV lineup, but think the car side of the design isn't targeting young, sporty buyers. But maybe that speaks to your comment, too.

#16 ·
In just this spot. We're trading in our 2001 V70. For a 2020 XC60 T8 - just finalized the order today. Looked at the comparable Mercedes but liked the Volvo better (and they don't have their new PHEV version available). I've got to say, though, that the voice recognition on the Mercedes is fantastic!

It's funny about older people getting sedans. We might well have gotten another wagon except it's a long ways down and back up once the knees start to go.

#73 ·
Took a look at a one year old AMG C43 wagon at the local AMG/MB dealer today. I'm impressed. It's about the same size but more sport-focused than my V60. It's also more expensive but I'd consider one if I was looking for a new car.

#19 · (Edited)
Im really liking the Peugeot 508. 225hp, 220 ft lbs but 1400kgs. Its a 1.6L turbo with the same 8 speed transmission as the Volvo. Its a bit slower, but for my drive the 0-60km/h is more important than the 0-100km/h and the weight saving should help with that. The Volvo is just too heavy to have any fun in, and ive got the light one!

#20 ·
Like a couple of others above I'd be loathe to part with my inline 6....

I've always had a hankering to own a Jaguar, but they ain't what they used to be and not sure I'd ever be able to afford one worth buying.. might find it hard to resist looking for a big American V8 when the time comes

#21 ·
^^ The Jaguar XF wagon is really nice looking, but equally expensive. Which means they will sell a handful of them, then cancel selling them altogether saying that they did not sell enough. The wagons start at $65k, which while comparable with the Mercedes E-class wagon (starts at $66k) at $65k most people in a Jaguar dealership are ordering an F-Pace S (starts at $62k). The same engine in the XF wagon, starting price is $71k. .

#22 ·
If I wanted to replace my car with something remotely similar I'd probably be looking for something like an M340i or whatever 5 series would be closest.

That said, after I get bored with this one I will probably be going for something a little more tame, like a V60 CC or if a sedan, a Mazda 6. I've owned a bunch of Mazda's and have never had one issue, ever.

I am currently looking for a car to commute with to keep miles off my V60 P* and am considering a Jetta, Golf, or a base Mini Cooper. The Jetta gets 40 mpg on the highway with regular unleaded and I wouldn't really care what happens to it, lol.

#27 ·
Not a Volvo for sure. Their current engine lineup don't appeal to me at all.

I would like to go back to something with a manual transmission but options are very limited.

#28 ·
:thumbup: +1. Absolutely hate the direction went with only producing only 4 cylinder or less engines. That was the defining moment they lost my future new car business.

#29 ·
I currently drive a 2005 Volvo S60-2.5T, with 122K miles. It is in good condition, and has been a reliable car. If I ever buy a new car, and if I have the opportunity, I will look for something with fewer electronic features, and also I would like a manual transmission. Electronic ignition is OK, but beyond that I want simple electronics, without reliance on computers. Since the auto industry is going in the other direction, I might never purchase a new car.

#32 ·
Fast wagons are barely available in the US and that's my go to choice as a parent and homeowner. I honestly don't know what I would get next unless I can somehow manage to afford an AMG wagon in the near future.
If Audit sold the S4 wagon in the US that would be my go to choice with their amazing DSG transmission.

#35 ·
If Audi sold the S4 wagon in the US that would be my go to choice with their amazing DSG transmission.
I know a couple people who have a B8.5 generation S4, great car, the inside is nice, engine is reliable and plenty fast enough. I kept looking at the S4 while shopping, but could not get over the dull sedan shape of them stock and did not want to spend a ton modifying one. If the B8.5 S4 Avant were available here, it's entirely possible that is what I would have ended up driving.

If I could afford it:
Audi RS6 / Audi S7

If I could afford it and was single:
Porsche Cayman GT4

My current reality/budget:
Audi A6
This is similar to a list I would have.... An RS6 Avant would be amazing, out of my budget though, I have a family, so a sports car is out, but a Cayman would be close to top of the list otherwise, and while shopping recently I kept looking at the newer generation A6. My desire for a wagon kept me from looking too seriously at them.

#34 ·
The last two times I have been car shopping I was convinced I was going to buy an Audi (A4/S4/A6). Then after looking around at used cars and reading about long term reliability, I end up buying something Swedish. I tend to keep my cars to at least 150k miles. I drive a pretty average amount at around 12-13k miles/year. I also generally buy used cars with 20-45k miles on them because it seems to be the sweet spot for cost vs usable life.

Along with Audi, I also always look at BMWs. But I like having cars that are unique. The BMW 3 series is a good looking vehicle with a great performance and handling reputation, but there are so many out there that I have lost all interest in owning one. There is probably a good reason there are so many out there, presumably because they are great cars, but not all my decisions are 100% rational and by the numbers otherwise I would be driving a Toyota Camry.

I have no interest in owning an SUV. There are too many of them on the roads as it is, IMO. I hate getting on a good twisty backroad only to immediately get stuck behind some bloated SUV that has to slow down to 10mph below the speed limit by braking at the apex of every curve. They're practical vehicles, great for families, I get the appeal for someone who sees driving as a task or chore necessary to get from one point to another, it's just not for me. Having said that, my wife wants nothing more than a newer mid-size SUV, and we will probably end up getting one soon, as we start a family. She is leaning toward an Acura RDX or MDX.

I also have zero interest in owning a newer than 2016 Volvo with a 4 cylinder. I personally love the styling of the newest S60s. I think it is a very refined and handsome look. I just want one with an updated 6 cylinder turbo and since that is not an option, i'm out.

I just bought my 2016 S60, so it will probably be another 6 or 7 years until I am in the market to buy myself another vehicle. By that time I will probably be looking at something electric. But hypothetically, If I were in the market today and Volvo wasn't an option, I would be looking at:

If I could afford it:
Audi RS6 / Audi S7

If I could afford it and was single:
Porsche Cayman GT4

My current reality/budget:
Audi A6

#38 ·
I'll toss my hat in the ring although I'm not a V owner.

I've had many mixed experiences with VW products between the Audi and two VW's I owned (all were the same platform). I'm not sure I want to roll the dice with them anymore.

BMW, I'm not sure where they're going with their styling at the moment - especially the enormous buck tooth gaping kidney grills the BMW team wants to put on everything as the new family trademark. I have had haunting experiences with their 3-Series in the past and the new 3-Series uses a new kind of front suspension. New innovation + mechanical + BMW = Problematic and expensive to fix or replace.

The Cadillac CTS-V Blackwing interests me, but I don't think it interests me enough to jump into GM.

My heart tells me it would want to give a used Tesla Model S with the dual motor option a try.

#39 ·
I'd be curious about the BMW M2 or M235. Still available with a stick, looks tossable, good modification community around it, german build quality

#40 ·
I'd be curious about the BMW M2 or M235. Still available with a stick, looks tossable, good modification community around it, german build quality
German build quality doesn't have the same connotation it used to. It used to mean precision machining, high tolerances, above average fit and finish, and durability brought together in a package of thoughtful design and engineering.

Today it means above average fit and finish packaged in needlessly complex bordering on absurd, not particularly user serviceable, chocked full of too many sensors in an often irritatingly sensitive and fragile platform.

#41 ·
I have a good friend who is an Audi mechanic at a dealership. His advice to me was to never buy an Audi. That coupled with the fact that I can't tell the difference in any model they make keeps me disinterested. Except that new Avant wagon looks pretty great.

I'll probably hang on to the V60 for a while and build the 1983 Caprice Wagon I have for a fun car. Big engine, low suspension and lots of noise, all for about $2000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.