CPO Standards
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CPO Standards

CPO Standards

Shopping for a new car and looking at a 2016 S60 R Design that's cherry on every front except the rims... which are pretty damn jacked. Does anyone know what the definition of "Stringent inspection and reconditioning standards" actually is?

If you're out there Tech now's your time to shine... I'm going to laugh if you reply with "anything they want it to be".

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would think that if the curbed wheels can be considered as normal wear and tear and the wheels still hold air and are functional then I would imagine it would pass the test but I'm not a tech so YMMV. There is some subjectivity though to "normal wear and tear".

If you otherwise like the car then just factor the cost of refinishing the wheels into the price you would be willing to pay. I always develop a laundry list of things I would need to do to any used car I am interested in because most used cars need a fair amount of work - it's just the way it is.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

If the wheels are all F-upped. I would say that's hard damage. Ask that they be replaced.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I don't believe it's part of the inspection that the wheels not have curb rash, just as long as theyre functional. Having said that, most dealerships have a wheel place they send them to so they can be refinished. Might run them a hundred bucks or two per wheel
      Daily Driver: 2017 V60 T6 R-Design Bursting Blue / Black, 37k, "Bertie"
      Garage Queen: 1995 850 T-5R sedan Cream Yellow / Black, 97k, "Daisy"
      Garage Queen: 1995 850 T-5R estate Cream Yellow / Black, 287k, "Daisy2"
      Garage Queen: 2005 V70R Flash Green / Nordkap, 86k, "Flash"
      Past: 2005 S60R Black Sapphire / Nordkap, 88k, "Peggy"
      Past: 2000 V70R Laser Blue / Black, 174k, "Vicky"
      Past: 2000 S70 GLT SE Moondust / Beige, 175k, "Sandy"
      Past: 2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue / Black, 88k, "Roxy"
      Past :2006 XC70 AWD Willow Green / Beige, 148k, "XC"

Rims only need be true, balanced, have no cracks, and hold air. Their cosmetic condition is not a functional requirement.
      You could always ask them to take a bit off the price based on the cosmetic condition or send them out to be refinished before pick-up.
      Wheel refinishing runs as low as $80 to as much as $350 per wheel based on the amount of damage, complexity of the rim design, finish of the rim, etc.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

We like to get our wheels reconditioned as it just makes the cars sell faster. It does add to the cost of course.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      We like to get our wheels reconditioned as it just makes the cars sell faster. It does add to the cost of course.
      Do you guys get the rims redipped?

I just mentioned your previous thread in a thread by someone mad about a CPO car they bought 6 months ago that now needs tires.

If the car has a spare, it just needs 3 wheels. All must be within 1" of each other and relatively round to pass.

Sarcasm, obviously.

They can't be cracked or severely bent. Otherwise, cosmetic damage is just that- cosmetic. You are buying a used car, not a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I just mentioned your previous thread in a thread by someone mad about a CPO car they bought 6 months ago that now needs tires.

If the car has a spare, it just needs 3 wheels. All must be within 1" of each other and relatively round to pass.

Sarcasm, obviously.

They can't be cracked or severely bent. Otherwise, cosmetic damage is just that- cosmetic. You are buying a used car, not a new car.
      I would think the level of investment depends on dealer and vehicle, even if used. If a 2018 CPO polestar is on the lot, a dealer might feel having the car show well can increase the asking price.

On other hand, if my 15.5 CPO with 63k on odometer was there and wheels had curb rash, I doubt dealer would care to invest $500 to get wheels dipped to fix cosmetic issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Do you guys get the rims redipped?
      No. I'm not sure the process but they look good and I haven't had any complaints. It's a 3rd party that comes in and does all our wheels.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Sarcasm, obviously.

I ended up taking the $500 bucks from the dealership and selling the car. They offered to repair it but wanted me to bring it back to salt lake City and with it out of CPO I didn't want to deal with the drive. So I'm looking for a new one now since it dawned on me that I could still get a 2.5 or 3 liter engine under CPO.

The R I found is great if it wasn't for the fact the rims are jacked. It's service date is February 2017 so I can put a 10 year warranty on it and have it forever... Or maybe at least until Volvo wises up and stops the 2-liter bull****!
      Last edited by Nuttmandu; 01-17-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Any pics of the "jacked up" wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuttmandu View Post
      I ended up taking the $500 bucks from the dealership and selling the car. They offered to repair it but wanted me to bring it back to salt lake City and with it out of CPO I didn't want to deal with the drive. So I'm looking for a new one now since it dawned on me that I could still get a 2.5 or 3 liter engine under CPO.

The R I found is great if it wasn't for the fact the rims are jacked. It's service date is February 2017 so I can put a 10 year warranty on it and have it forever... Or maybe at least until Volvo wises up and stops the 2-liter bull****!
      So 5 Year CPO puts you at February 2022. Approximately 25 months. Per tech, why not post pictures of the rims? Curb rash is cosmetic, but if the rims are bent or don't ride true, then you have a valid concern.

I'm guessing your definition of jacked is probably cosmetic curb rash and not actually "jacked" in functionality.

Any pics of the "jacked up" wheels?
      They're still functional... Just scuffed up pretty good. Someone clearly didn't know how to park and didn't care. I'll post a pic next week when I'm back at a computer. Only have my phone right now.

If they are just scuffed up, they can likely be repaired pretty well. You might be surprised at the cost- it really isn't too bad in my area. Obviously this can vary so check around.

They're still functional... Just scuffed up pretty good. Someone clearly didn't know how to park and didn't care. I'll post a pic next week when I'm back at a computer. Only have my phone right now.
      Ok. So then the issue is cosmetic and cosmetic issues are not required to be repaired under the CPO since they don't impede functionality. You can negotiate with dealer prior to purchase to see if any concessions will be made on price before purchasing. As would be the case when buying any used car.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      No. I'm not sure the process but they look good and I haven't had any complaints. It's a 3rd party that comes in and does all our wheels.
      I have one out for refinishing now ... $155 for a painted wheel. I'll post 'before' & 'after' photos when I can.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; '6? 145DL & '7? 245DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

"Teacher fired for drinking on the job. Two students expelled for fighting and insubordination. Other than that, the first week of homeschooling went great! "

When I bought my '14 S60, a couple of the wheels had curb rash, I mentioned it to the salesperson and they said they'd get them re-finished as part of the sale, which they did... So maybe ask if the dealer will do that for you?

Quote Originally Posted by dave67r View Post
      When I bought my '14 S60, a couple of the wheels had curb rash, I mentioned it to the salesperson and they said they'd get them re-finished as part of the sale, which they did... So maybe ask if the dealer will do that for you?
      ohh I asked... He told me.that would cost like $500 a wheel (the wheels are $280 each new)! I'm thinking what I'll do is low ball them unless they get the wheels refinished.

I would thought it would be $500 for all four, lol.

Dealer is BSing you, $500 a wheel.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      I would thought it would be $500 for all four, lol.

Dealer is BSing you, $500 a wheel.
      I curbed one of my Sadia wheels (ugh) and asked the cost to dip vs grind + refinish. It was around $150 for a dip and $50 to grind and refinish. I opted for grind and refinish the lip. Can't tell unless you look ever so close, and the only reason you can tell, is it is a bit flatter in that spot.

Dealer telling this guy $500 is blowing smoke up his butt.

I curbed one of my Sadia wheels (ugh) and asked the cost to dip vs grind + refinish. It was around $150 for a dip and $50 to grind and refinish. I opted for grind and refinish the lip. Can't tell unless you look ever so close, and the only reason you can tell, is it is a bit flatter in that spot.

Dealer telling this guy $500 is blowing smoke up his butt.
      Now the dealer is telling me he's not going to fix anything and someone else is looking at the car is "at the bank... first guy with cash gets the car". This is the second time he's tried this tactic. I told him to sell the car to the other guy and to have his Sales Manager call me. He then put me through to his buddy that's the "Internet Sales Manager". I've asked for the general manager.

My god I hate dealing with dealerships.

Well, on to the next one. There's always another car.

Now the dealer is telling me he's not going to fix anything and someone else is looking at the car is "at the bank... first guy with cash gets the car". This is the second time he's tried this tactic. I told him to sell the car to the other guy and to have his Sales Manager call me. He then put me through to his buddy that's the "Internet Sales Manager". I've asked for the general manager.

My god I hate dealing with dealerships.
      Simple. If the wheels / rims are the deciding factor, and they won't fix, move on. I'd send a polite email that puts the ball in their court.

Dear Sales Person's Name,

Thank you for your assistance in locating X vehicle. I am sorry that we couldn't reach an agreement and will now pursue prospective vehicles at other dealerships that I have contacted. If the car we discussed does not sell, and you wish to address the condition issues prior to sale, feel free to contact me back. Otherwise, I have chosen to pass on this vehicle and wish to receive no further solicitations.

Regards,

Your name

I would think the level of investment depends on dealer and vehicle, even if used. If a 2018 CPO polestar is on the lot, a dealer might feel having the car show well can increase the asking price.

On other hand, if my 15.5 CPO with 63k on odometer was there and wheels had curb rash, I doubt dealer would care to invest $500 to get wheels dipped to fix cosmetic issues.
      Funny you use this example - I went to look at an '18 V60 Polestar at a dealer and the wheels were all curbed to hell and there was a nice dent in the hood close to the windshield. It only had 11k miles on it and it hurt my heart to see such a nice car looking like that, especially when they were asking top dollar. The dealer's response: "you're buying a used car, not new." My response: "you're right, and I'm not buying that one!"
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post

Funny you use this example - I went to look at an '18 V60 Polestar at a dealer and the wheels were all curbed to hell and there was a nice dent in the hood close to the windshield. It only had 11k miles on it and it hurt my heart to see such a nice car looking like that. The dealer's response: "you're buying a used car, not new." Ok...
      Very unfortunate. Think of house shopping. There's a reason real estate agents suggest making a house show well. It'll command more money.

Either the dealer doesn't know what it has or doesn't care. And if this how they show a top level car, id be skeptical about purchasing a used vehicle from there. As clearly their attitude is where is as is, meaning they're biggest priority is flipping a car and getting it out the door. Meaning did they even bother inspecting it very well.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-23-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Very unfortunate. Think of house shopping. There's a reason real estate agents suggest making a house show well. It'll command more money.

Either the dealer doesn't know what it has or doesn't care. And if this how they show a top level car, id be skeptical about purchasing a used vehicle from there. As clearly their attitude is where is as is, meaning they're biggest priority is flipping a car and getting it the door. Meaning did they even bother inspecting it very well.
      Yeah, they offered to fix the issues, but I knew their standards and mine were not anywhere near the same, so I passed. It's still sitting, and they have since dropped the price. I'll wait and if it's still there this spring, I'll lowball 'em.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      Yeah, they offered to fix the issues, but I knew their standards and mine were not anywhere near the same, so I passed. It's still sitting, and they have since dropped the price. I'll wait and if it's still there this spring, I'll lowball 'em.
      Unless it's rare and collectable, cars don't appreciate. Dealers have a finite window to maximize a vehicle's potential. Reminds me of when I was vehicle shopping. I visited one dealer and made them an offer. I was walking out door and the sales person followed me saying I'm passing up a good deal. I said if you guys change your mind, you have my number. I'll be in town only today. Never got a call, called before I left, and they said we're passing on your offer.

So I watched the car over a period of time and the price fell far below what I had offered....Dealer overplayed its hand. I ended up buying elsewhere.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-23-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Ok. So then the issue is cosmetic and cosmetic issues are not required to be repaired under the CPO since they don't impede functionality. You can negotiate with dealer prior to purchase to see if any concessions will be made on price before purchasing. As would be the case when buying any used car.
      Just out of curiosity why do they even have exterior and interior items listed on the CPO checklist then if it's just "functionality" based. The condition of the fender wouldn't effect functionality at all unless it was simply missing. Additionally "functionality" would be addressed by a simple warranty anyway so why even have a "CPO"?

Also on the checklist does anyone know what "Volvo STD, ADJ, Replaced, NA" means (you out there Tech)? Like is there a separate definition for those somewhere that's just not on the checklist?

Update on the car... I made them a lowball offer based on them not reconditioning the wheels or interior leather on drivers side door. They acted like I was crazy and told me they were going to "get more for the car at auction". It's been on their lot for 3 months and is priced at the bottom end of the KBB... not quite the very bottom (which is what i offered them) but the bottom end.

One thing i'm finding out talking to dealerships is they have a ton of S60s they plan on CPOing that they can't right now because they can't get the part to fix the door latch that's been recalled. Amusingly this dealership haven't fixed that but are somehow trying to sell it as a CPO anyway. Anyway the other dealerships are telling me they won't get the part until early April which means there should be a glut on the market then and until then no one's going to be buying ones at auction i would think. Anyone have any experience in the car sales world with the phenomena? Am i thinking about this right?

Just out of curiosity why do they even have exterior and interior items listed on the CPO checklist then if it's just "functionality" based. The condition of the fender wouldn't effect functionality at all unless it was simply missing. Additionally "functionality" would be addressed by a simple warranty anyway so why even have a "CPO"?

Also on the checklist does anyone know what "Volvo STD, ADJ, Replaced, NA" means (you out there Tech)? Like is there a separate definition for those somewhere that's just not on the checklist?

Update on the car... I made them a lowball offer based on them not reconditioning the wheels or interior leather on drivers side door. They acted like I was crazy and told me they were going to "get more for the car at auction". It's been on their lot for 3 months and is priced at the bottom end of the KBB... not quite the very bottom (which is what i offered them) but the bottom end.

One thing i'm finding out talking to dealerships is they have a ton of S60s they plan on CPOing that they can't right now because they can't get the part to fix the door latch that's been recalled. Amusingly this dealership haven't fixed that but are somehow trying to sell it as a CPO anyway. Anyway the other dealerships are telling me they won't get the part until early April which means there should be a glut on the market then and until then no one's going to be buying ones at auction i would think. Anyone have any experience in the car sales world with the phenomena? Am i thinking about this right?
      The cars will always sell at auction.
      If Volvo dealers hold on to cars until April so they can perform the recall and then sell them as CPO, I suppose that could affect the market value of the used models. Personally, I don't think the number of cars held until April to be fixed and sold as CPO will be large enough to affect the market that much. But it could mean a few really good deals for a few people in a couple months.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Volvo STD is Volvo Standard, meaning it passes. ADJ is Adjusted, for something like tire pressures, clearing car data, updating maps, etc. Replaced is self explanatory. NA is Not Applicable, for features the car does not have.

Volvo STD is Volvo Standard, meaning it passes. ADJ is Adjusted, for something like tire pressures, clearing car data, updating maps, etc. Replaced is self explanatory. NA is Not Applicable, for features the car does not have.
      It's up to the dealerships to determine "Volvo Standard" i expect? So one dealerships "Volvo standard" could be "it's there" and another's could be "it looks like new"?

Cosmetic stuff that wouldn't be covered by factory warranty or CPO is pretty much at the dealer's discretion as I understand it. It's a used car. You're looking for a used car in brand new condition and are going to be hard pressed to find it.

Cosmetic stuff that wouldn't be covered by factory warranty or CPO is pretty much at the dealer's discretion as I understand it. It's a used car. You're looking for a used car in brand new condition and are going to be hard pressed to find it.
      Not looking for that necessarily just in the past the dealerships i worked with were willing to recondition stuff that was major when I was spending 20-25K on a car and financing with them. These guys not so much. They also don't have the additional warranty options (keys, dent protection, wheel protection) that i've always liked having so It's not the end of the world to work with someone else who probably will have those things.

I'd highly doubt cars can't be CPO'd until the lock recall has been completed. I could be wrong, but the same argument would apply to used vehicles up for sale. The problem remains outstanding until parts are issued, but is easily addressed once available.

My opinion, if you need a car, look around for one. If you want or can wait til April, and believe this will create a better selection, more power to you. Either way, I doubt the April milestone will affect values too much. If anything, it would just allow for better selection.

Still, I think if a dealer wants to sell a car, going to auction is always an option.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-24-2020 at 02:21 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast