CPO Standards - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CPO Standards

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I'd highly doubt cars can't be CPO'd until the lock recall has been completed. I could be wrong, but the same argument would apply to used vehicles up for sale. The problem remains outstanding until parts are issued, but is easily addressed once available.

My opinion, if you need a car, look around for one. If you want or can wait til April, and believe this will create a better selection, more power to you. Either way, I doubt the April milestone will affect values too much. If anything, it would just allow for better selection.

Still, I think if a dealer wants to sell a car, going to auction is always an option.
      On the CPO checklist "Service campaign and recall updates performed on vehicle" is one of the items they have to sign off on. The recall happened when i was looking at vehicles and a couple dealerships had to pull the car. To quote a dealer from Gilbert, AZ... "A used dealership I believe can still sell them but a Volvo dealer would be on Stop Sale until fixed for liability reasons."
      Last edited by Nuttmandu; 01-24-2020 at 04:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It is against federal law to sell a new vehicle with an open recall. I do not believe this pertains to used vehicles. Given there are no parts available yet, I think it is unreasonable to keep the car until April.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      It is against federal law to sell a new vehicle with an open recall. I do not believe this pertains to used vehicles. Given there are no parts available yet, I think it is unreasonable to keep the car until April.
      There could be state laws or just really cautious dealers. It sucks cause i actually like the Inscription i was looking at in AZ almost as much. There's definitely something going on as when i started looking at cars on the CPO site there were 300 some s60's nation wide that were a 2015 or 2016... now there are 100.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

If Volvo couldn't sell used or CPO vehicles til April, every dealers inventory would be on hold.

I would imagine if Volvo makes the buyer aware of the open recall, and sends out notices when parts are available, inventory can still ne moved.

My guess...By no means am I a lawyer or legal scholar. But I do know dealers send out notices.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-24-2020 at 10:18 PM.

I don't think it's against the law to sell a used car with an open recall. Secondhand S and V60's are being sold every day, at least where I live.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      I don't think it's against the law to sell a used car with an open recall. Secondhand S and V60's are being sold every day, at least where I live.
      Only new cars are prohibited from sale.

Used / CPO ca be sold without issue. https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...lethal-n720276

Only new cars are prohibited from sale.

Used / CPO ca be sold without issue. https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...lethal-n720276
      I think it's a Volvo policy thing. Just got off the phone with my local guy (he's going to try and buy the car from the goofballs in Miami and sell it to me directly after refurbishing stuff... well see if they go for it... they told me they were going to sell it to another dealership if i didn't buy it as is and here's their opportunity) and he said it depends on the size of the dealership on if they can get the parts for the recall but they were instructed to make sure it was repaired before they sold CPO cars. Their cars were off the market for 2-3 weeks when it happened.

The larger dealerships/service departments have been able to get the parts or had them to do the repair but the smaller ones are really struggling. Which makes sense cause the car in AZ was at the Gilbert dealership and i would expect the Scottsdale one is way bigger. Total bull**** Tech?

So May might be a good time to go shopping for nice used S60s perhaps
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Nuttmandu View Post
      I think it's a Volvo policy thing. Just got off the phone with my local guy (he's going to try and buy the car from the goofballs in Miami and sell it to me directly after refurbishing stuff... well see if they go for it... they told me they were going to sell it to another dealership if i didn't buy it as is and here's their opportunity) and he said it depends on the size of the dealership on if they can get the parts for the recall but they were instructed to make sure it was repaired before they sold CPO cars. Their cars were off the market for 2-3 weeks when it happened.

The larger dealerships/service departments have been able to get the parts or had them to do the repair but the smaller ones are really struggling. Which makes sense cause the car in AZ was at the Gilbert dealership and i would expect the Scottsdale one is way bigger. Total bull**** Tech?
      Far as I was told, the parts aren't even out yet and have not been released by Volvo to repair the recalled locks. Unless my dealer was mistaken.

I dropped in one of the dealers near me in passing earlier this week and they told me the same thing... they seemed a little defensive and anxious to establish that I wasn’t actually having any problems with the doors
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Parts are not available for any dealership, large or small. There are no part numbers or labor op codes listed in the bulletin for the recall.

Parts are not available for any dealership, large or small. There are no part numbers or labor op codes listed in the bulletin for the recall.
      Yay... more bull**** from dealers! The local dealership is selling cars claiming the recall's been repaired.

Received recall letter today in the mail. Says exact same thing as I posted earlier, too. Parts unavailable.

@Nuttmandu

Not sure who you might have spoken to, but either you misunderstood or the individual was misinformed. Either way, Tech is correct, no parts are available to any dealer at present.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-27-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Just an update, Volvo has now requested dealers should not sell any car with the recall open. They are offering a support program to retailers to cover depreciation while the vehicle sits.

Just an update, Volvo has now requested dealers should not sell any car with the recall open. They are offering a support program to retailers to cover depreciation while the vehicle sits.
      I noticed that last weekend when I was at a store. The salesman had to check his inventory list to see which cars could be sold.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT

That... Is a little disturbing, honestly. It's a bit of an extraordinary measure - even the Takata shrapnel airbags didn't stop dealers from selling cars.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      That... Is a little disturbing, honestly. It's a bit of an extraordinary measure - even the Takata shrapnel airbags didn't stop dealers from selling cars.
      It's disturbing that the airbag recall didn't stop dealers from selling the cars. Maybe they were supposed to but sold them anyway.

I'm not sure it Volvo is mandating it or simply requesting it.

Edit: Found the announcement from 12/21 mandating it. I wasn't aware of it previously but I'm not in Sales so I don't keep up on their stuff as much as the service bulletins.
      Last edited by Tech; 01-30-2020 at 10:18 AM.

It's disturbing that the airbag recall didn't stop dealers from selling the cars. Maybe they were supposed to but sold them anyway.

Edit: Found the announcement from 12/21 mandating it. I wasn't aware of it previously but I'm not in Sales so I don't keep up on their stuff as much as the service bulletins.
      Agreed about the Takata airbags being disturbing as well.

Starting to think I'll pull the S70 out of semi retirement for a while until parts come through.

If you have the option, why not. But I don't think this is an indication that they believe people are genuinely in danger. The problem is pretty rare. I've never had a customer with it but I've seen a couple people aroumd here who said it happened to them. A couple out of 145k cars isn't bad. But they are probably trying to limit the liability to the dealer should something happen. If a dealer sells one and something happens, VCNA can point to their bulletin and say "We told you not to sell them".

If you have the option, why not. But I don't think this is an indication that they believe people are genuinely in danger. The problem is pretty rare. I've never had a customer with it but I've seen a couple people aroumd here who said it happened to them. A couple out of 145k cars isn't bad. But they are probably trying to limit the liability to the dealer should something happen. If a dealer sells one and something happens, VCNA can point to their bulletin and say "We told you not to sell them".
      That's a fair point about the rarity of the issue. I've just not heard of a notice not to sell a car without the recall repair outside of the context of the sort of recall where owners are told to stop driving the vehicle and have it towed to the dealership for repair, as happened with about 3,000 Ford Rangers a while ago.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...2006-ford.html

My concern is less about safety (I'll notice if a door doesn't latch) than about being in a parking garage and having the door not latch, with all the attendant hassle of not having a good way to get home as a result. It's an $80 Uber from my office to my house and I'm cheap about things like that. 😆

If it were my only car, I'd just go ahead with driving it, but it's probably good to put a few miles on the old car every now and then too.

Volvo cares about its image and lawsuits. A brand built on safety letting "unsafe" vehicles leave the lot doesn't bode well for brand image.

What happens if one, two, three, etc out of those vehicles had their door swing open and someone were hurt or killed? It'd be a public relations nightmare for Volvo.

Even though it's an extreme measure, I'm more disturbed other dealers cared more about a sale than customer safety. The takata airbag fiasco should have halted vehicles moving off the lot until they were repaired and ready for sale.

Agreed about the Takata airbags being disturbing as well.

Starting to think I'll pull the S70 out of semi retirement for a while until parts come through.
      You're in Seattle, Washington. Your seasons come with clouds and more chances of rain.

This is a warm weather phenomenon according to recall letter. Not much to worry about on your end. And even less since it isn't a common problem or we'd had tons of threads here on the issue before recall.

So all this being said... YAY KILLER DEALS IN APRIL! lol

Unless Volvo screws that up by making the depreciation reimbursement juicy enough they don't care.

So it's mandated that they not sell cars with the open recall as of 12/21?

It appears so. But that's by Volvo, not the government. What can really happen if they sell one? Probably nothing.

It appears so. But that's by Volvo, not the government. What can really happen if they sell one? Probably nothing.
      Loose franchise. Get less favorable rates by Volvo. Etc.

Loose franchise. Get less favorable rates by Volvo. Etc.
      That's kind of what's been shocking about looking at cars across the country. There seems to be a lot of variability of standards between dealerships that i just didn't expect so i don't know that volvo really polices them like I thought they probably did. They all talk a big show about how "high Volvo standards" but i'm not really sure that exists. It's kind of a bummer really.

That said I'm really flummoxed by the local guy. He had the notice right but not that it's been fixed :-P
      Last edited by Nuttmandu; 01-31-2020 at 05:46 PM.

That's kind of what's been shocking about looking at cars across the country. There seems to be a lot of variability of standards between dealerships that i just didn't expect so i don't know that volvo really polices them like I thought they probably did. They all talk a big show about how "high Volvo standards" but i'm not really sure that exists. It's kind of a bummer really.

That said I'm really flummoxed by the local guy. He had the notice right but not that it's been fixed :-P
      Well Volvo does set some standards and leaves a lot up to dealers. But this time, it's a Volvo Mandate because of liability. I'm sure if Volvo found out a dealer sold a vehicle, there'd be hell to pay. If someone were hurt or killed, it could tarnish Volvo's Brand image (Safety) and lead to costly lawsuits.

Tech said Volvo is compensating dealers for depreciation until the issue is resolved. So dealers aren't losing out.

Well Volvo does set some standards and leaves a lot up to dealers. But this time, it's a Volvo Mandate because of liability. I'm sure if Volvo found out a dealer sold a vehicle, there'd be hell to pay. If someone were hurt or killed, it could tarnish Volvo's Brand image (Safety) and lead to costly lawsuits.

Tech said Volvo is compensating dealers for depreciation until the issue is resolved. So dealers aren't losing out.
      There's still 90 some up on volvo's nationwide CPO website that the recall applies to. Not sure volvo really cares that much if it happens... just that they told them not to.

There's still 90 some up on volvo's nationwide CPO website that the recall applies to. Not sure volvo really cares that much if it happens... just that they told them not to.
      S60, s60cc, v60, v60cc are only affected models according to recall letter.

I would imagine you wouldn't be able to buy those cars until they are fixed, even if they appear on a website. I think a safety conscious company like Volvo would be very concerned about the public perception of selling cars that have an unaddressed safety recall and frankly with the roll they are on new car sales-wise, to hold some cars off the market and reimburse retailers for a few dollars depreciation is very minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      I would imagine you wouldn't be able to buy those cars until they are fixed, even if they appear on a website. I think a safety conscious company like Volvo would be very concerned about the public perception of selling cars that have an unaddressed safety recall and frankly with the roll they are on new car sales-wise, to hold some cars off the market and reimburse retailers for a few dollars depreciation is very minimal.
      Ohh no they're totally selling them and you can take them off the lot. Some dealers are telling me it's "fixed" and other's are saying "it's not an issue stopping us from selling them".

Ohh no they're totally selling them and you can take them off the lot. Some dealers are telling me it's "fixed" and other's are saying "it's not an issue stopping us from selling them".
      Tech said there's a mandate from Volvo telling dealers THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT allowed to sell recall vehicles. And Volvo will cover the vehicle depreciation in the interim. Take that info as you'd like, but if dealers are going against corporate police, then you could report their behavior.

Tech said there's a mandate from Volvo telling dealers THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT allowed to sell recall vehicles. And Volvo will cover the vehicle depreciation in the interim. Take that info as you'd like, but if dealers are going against corporate police, then you could report their behavior.
      Got told by a dealer today "we're allowed to sell them we just can't sell them as a CPO"... all this while i'm talking to another dealership and he's saying there is no restriction at all. This is kind of hilarious.

Well as i type this there is a 2016 S60 R Design on a truck on it's way to me from Volvo of Louisville that does not have the recall fixed and it's CPOed and I've paid for it and it's financed through Volvo Financial...

Seems weird to me Volvo corporate wouldn't put some checks in to address this issue as their fingers are all over it (via financing and the cpo). That said i got the car i want. I'll post pics when it gets here on Friday/Saturday!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast