Somebody drilled a front license plate holder on my brand new PEXC60. What are my options?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Somebody drilled a front license plate holder on my brand new PEXC60. What are my options?

I placed an OSD back in August. I was unable to take the trip due to health reasons (delayed it until this spring) but they were nice enough to still ship my car.

I was contacted today that my car had been delivered to the dealership.

I was sent pictures of the car from my dealership since I won't be able to pick it up until this afternoon and noticed that somebody drilled a front license plate holder to the front bumper!

My state doesn't require a front plate and I was told multiple times they wouldn't/shouldn't do that.

I just got off the phone with OSD customer service and they assured me they would never do that so it had to be port or while being prepped.

Sick to my stomach.

Has anybody had this happen before?

Any recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'd make the dealer replace the bumper with a new undrilled one.
      2010 XC60 T6 Sapphire Black Metallic (TFT DIM retrofit, DynoMax muffler, Eibach lowering springs & Koni struts, HardRace adjustable rear toe arms)
      2004 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon 2.5 White Frost Pearl (Also mine) | 2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 AWD Olympic White (Hers)

Talk to the salesman and/or manager, ask for them to fix it before you pick up the car.

/kleks

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, new bumper cover - happened to me on a Miata a few years ago and my state requires a front plate. Dealer replaced it no questions asked.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

It may not be as bad as it looks in the photo. Once you remove the frame, you will likely just see two small holes with threaded inserts which probably match the bumper color. If you don't want the factory to install the front license frame, there is a special code that your salesperson must include in your OSD order. IIRC, the code is NOLIC.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

~ Or you could make the best of it by 'personalizing' your ride. My state doesn't require a front plate so I display this (after drilling two small holes).

I had it made at https://www.customeuropeanplates.com...ogIkhLcFpzNyJ9

Good luck!
      Last edited by Crew Chief; 01-20-2020 at 07:49 AM.
      ~ CREW CHIEF
      '20 V90 CC T6 Polestar Optimised
      '17 Corvette Grand Sport
      '06 Honda Ridgeline
      '01 Miata BRG SE

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanboost View Post
      I placed an OSD back in August. I was unable to take the trip due to health reasons (delayed it until this spring) but they were nice enough to still ship my car.

I was contacted today that my car had been delivered to the dealership.

I was sent pictures of the car from my dealership since I won't be able to pick it up until this afternoon and noticed that somebody drilled a front license plate holder to the front bumper!

My state doesn't require a front plate and I was told multiple times they wouldn't/shouldn't do that.

I just got off the phone with OSD customer service and they assured me they would never do that so it had to be port or while being prepped.

Sick to my stomach.

Has anybody had this happen before?

Any recommendations?
      New Bumper Cover. Comes pre-painted. Talk to General Manager about issue and having the drilled bumper cover replaced pro bono. Part runs around $900 + labor, but I'd expect Volvo to eat the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Yes, new bumper cover - happened to me on a Miata a few years ago and my state requires a front plate. Dealer replaced it no questions asked.
      No longer required in Ohio. For the very argument that holes in a bumper diminish the value of the car. Not sure that really makes a huge difference to have two screw holes, but cosmetically, I understand why people want change.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...-plate-in-ohio

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      No longer required in Ohio. For the very argument that holes in a bumper diminish the value of the car. Not sure that really makes a huge difference to have two screw holes, but cosmetically, I understand why people want change.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...-plate-in-ohio
      Yes, starting July 1, 2020.

Bus drivers union is trying to get the new law thrown out because it makes it harder to identify cars that don't stop for buses loading kids. I can see their case and there are a lot of distracted drivers and near misses. Friend of ours lost a child from this.

While two holes drilled into the front bumper of a brand new $65k or whatever car may or may not affect the value, I know it would drive me batsh!t crazy every time I walked up to it.
      Last edited by Wayne T5; 01-18-2020 at 05:58 AM.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I understand your frustration. Another solution would be to put an ornamental front plate on the car after Ohio eliminates the requirement to display a front license plate. There are plenty of cars that move from two plate states to one plate states and vice versa. I do not think having the front license plate bracket will have any affect on the value of your car.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Yes, starting July 1, 2020.

Bus drivers union is trying to get the new law thrown out because it makes it harder to identify cars that don't stop for buses loading kids. I can see their case and there are a lot of distracted drivers and near misses. Friend of ours lost a child from this.
      Very sad . I see the rationale for keeping front plate. Easier to identify drivers. I personally favor a second plate, because I don't think it really harms the value of a car significantly. And if someone rear ends you, blows through a bus stop sign, etc, it makes identification much easier. Especially if the person doesn't stop.

While two holes drilled into the front bumper of a brand new $65k or whatever car may or may not affect the value, I know it would drive me batsh!t crazy every time I walked up to it.
      Understood. And I would definitely request a new bumper cover, if in a one plate state. I'd hate to stare at two drill holes, too. Then again, if car is ever moved to another state, it may wind up getting drilled in the future.

Did you get the red Swedish delivery license plates?
      Many of us in one plate states just leave that one on the front. It looks cool and is a great conversation starter.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      Did you get the red Swedish delivery license plates?
      Many of us in one plate states just leave that one on the front. It looks cool and is a great conversation starter.
      There ya go.......I like that idea!!!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

If you decide to do that (I did and I love it), the front plate holder from the factory wasn't too great, so I bought one from Amazon:
      Standard Black Euro License Plate Holder - Universal Mounting Frame/Bracket

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 5.03.00 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Very sad . I see the rationale for keeping front plate. Easier to identify drivers. I personally favor a second plate, because I don't think it really harms the value of a car significantly. And if someone rear ends you, blows through a bus stop sign, etc, it makes identification much easier. Especially if the person doesn't stop.
      Sh!t, a few years ago, I watched a driver rear end another car in front of me when the first stopped at a red light. They both got out to surveil the damage, and then agreed to pull onto the less busy side street. The guilty party then fled the scene dripping radiator fluid as he went. I was able to find his front plate lying in the street a couple blocks away and turned it over to the police. Sad part was it was probably a stolen vehicle anyways.

Edit: OP, sorry to hear about the issue. I’ve heard of some people refusing delivery on a vehicle because the dealership placed their sticker/emblem on the back. And, I’ve heard of OSD cars getting severely damaged during shipping. Could be worse, right?
      Last edited by Chicago_Wagon; 01-19-2020 at 05:36 PM.
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      Sh!t, a few years ago, I watched a driver rear end another car in front of me when the first stopped at a red light. They both got out to surveil the damage, and then agreed to pull onto the less busy side street. The guilty party then fled the scene dripping radiator fluid as he went. I was able to find his front plate lying in the street a couple blocks away and turned it over to the police. Sad part was it was probably a stolen vehicle anyways.

Edit: OP, sorry to hear about the issue. I’ve heard of some people refusing delivery on a vehicle because the dealership placed their sticker/emblem on the back. And, I’ve heard of OSD cars getting severely damaged during shipping. Could be worse, right?
      My Mother has a sign on her back telling every idiot with no insurance to hit her car and run. She now has a dash camera in her car, courtesy of me. No choice on her part. She's finally come to appreciate my decision, though knock on wood, she's never needed to use it thus far.

If my math is right, 3 hit and runs + 1 police chase where guy slammed into her car running.....

I'm all for front plates.

Dealership made it right with a warranty discount. New bumper on order. I would be sure to get it in writing if you don't want a front license plate as it seems OSD always installs them now unless requested not to. Thanks for the help folks.

That sucks, but good on the dealership making it right. Our XC40 came undrilled, but with the front plate holder. We didn't specify anything, it's just how it came.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Ross View Post
      That sucks, but good on the dealership making it right. Our XC40 came undrilled, but with the front plate holder. We didn't specify anything, it's just how it came.
      Maybe it's kind of a random thing. I told my dealer I didn't want the front plate, since I live in a one-plate state. So he wrote that on the order. Unfortunately, this dealer is in a two-plate state, and didn't understand that he needed to put the specific NOLICE option on the order, he just wrote it in the comments section.

So mine had a front plate when I picked it up at the FDC. But I was still very happy because I left that red plate on the front and I think it's just as much fun to have as the big S sticker and FDC plate frame on the back. And there is also the likelihood that when I get another car this one will go to someone in a two-plate state and will need the holder anyway. So not a problem at all, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanboost View Post
      Dealership made it right with a warranty discount. New bumper on order. I would be sure to get it in writing if you don't want a front license plate as it seems OSD always installs them now unless requested not to. Thanks for the help folks.
      Dude, Sweden requires a front license plate. You ordered a car for delivery in Sweden. Whose fault is this? Enough said.

Your dealer is a nice guy. It is not a “now” thing. It is a “ever since the beginning of OSD time” thing.

PS: have done multiple OSDs
      2020 XC40 R Design T5 Polestar, bursting blue, July 2019
      2015 V60 T5, crystal pearl, platinum/tech/BLIS, July 2015
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011
      2004 XC90 2.5T, silver, OSD in Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by kevinG View Post
      If you've done multiple OSD's, then you should be aware you can order it without the Front License Plate. Had he specified that in the order, he has a reason to be ticked.
      OSD ordered 2017 XC90 Inscription Luminous Sand with Blonde Leather and Charcoal carpet, 234 wheels, Convenience, Climate with HUD, Vision, B&W Sound, Polestar and air suspension

Dude, Sweden requires a front license plate. You ordered a car for delivery in Sweden. Whose fault is this? Enough said.
      That makes no sense. Things are manufactured all across the world and are made to meet the specs for where they are going, not the country they are made in.
      2010 XC60 T6 Sapphire Black Metallic (TFT DIM retrofit, DynoMax muffler, Eibach lowering springs & Koni struts, HardRace adjustable rear toe arms)
      2004 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon 2.5 White Frost Pearl (Also mine) | 2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 AWD Olympic White (Hers)

Quote Originally Posted by jtriebe View Post
      If you've done multiple OSD's, then you should be aware you can order it without the Front License Plate. Had he specified that in the order, he has a reason to be ticked.
      Exactly.....
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillMan View Post
      That makes no sense. Things are manufactured all across the world and are made to meet the specs for where they are going, not the country they are made in.
      You are missing the point.

When the car is prepped in Sweden, it must be prepped for legal use in Sweden and this means a front license plate is required. It doesn't matter that the car may eventually end up wherever. If you want to drive it in Sweden, it must be legal in Sweden. So, at the FDC, the car WILL have two license plates, whether you like it or not. That is the law.

But, if the order includes the NOLICE option, they will tape the license plate (not drill). The law is satisfied and the customer is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ig_mb View Post
      But, if the order includes the NOLICE option, they will tape the license plate (not drill). The law is satisfied and the customer is happy.
      Huh, it's almost as if that's the point. They're making it to conform to the destination in that case.
      Last edited by TheStillMan; 04-04-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillMan View Post
      Incorrect. All OSD cars bear SWEDISH export plates and they have to conform to the same rules (by the Swedish DOT) as every other Swedish car does. ALL European Union countries require a front license plate and I wish all U.S. States did the same (for the same traffic and security reasons pointed above).
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Your dealer is a nice guy. It is not a “now” thing. It is a “ever since the beginning of OSD time” thing.

You can OSD and request NOLIC option code (I think that's it) to request that the front license plate mount not be drilled onto the bumper. I believe you can have them use double sided tape or have them put it on the dash. Other brands that do European delivery also offer that option (Porsche and BMW us double sided sticky tape for the front instead of drilling.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Ugh. This argument is unfolding at the slowest pace ever! Unsubscribe.
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements