TJ 31543.9.0 - Software Download Guide (US and Canada markets)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Since software updates are a recurring theme in SS, I thought that it would be useful to post excerpts from the TJ with the latest Volvo information from Nov. 2019. Of course, the Volvo policy has and does change from time to time. At least this information will set a baseline. Whether a dealer charges for a Service 2.0 update is at the dealer's discretion.

Total Upgrade: Should be performed if there is a valid customer complaint or if directed to by a Technical Journal or a Quality Bulletin. It is no longer necessary to perform Total Upgrade at every service visit.
      • The customer complaint should be clearly stated in the repair text.
      • Warranty claims without this description may be rejected.

Service 2.0 Upgrade: Should be performed at a scheduled maintenance service when Total Upgrade is not being used for a repair at the same retailer visit.
      • Retailers will be reimbursed for ONE Service 2.0 software update per vehicle within a 12 month period (refer to CPI 31-2019 for additional information).

PDS Upgrade: Should be performed at Retail Car Customer Delivery. ...

IMPORTANT NOTE:
      • Map and Voice control upgrades are no longer required as part of Total Upgrade or Service 2.0; however it is recommended that they be upgraded for maximum customer satisfaction.
      • Map upgrades can NOT be claimed under warranty.
      • Voice control database upgrades can only be claimed if there is a valid customer complaint as per TJ 33211
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Whether any given dealer charges (for a non-warranty-related software update) seems to be a dealer discretion. However, previous announcements from Volvo indicated that one Service 2.0 software update will be reimbursed to the dealer by Volvo every 12 months. Another document (maybe CPI-31-2019) indicates this policy runs through December 31, 2020.

Four points worth mentioning:
      1. If you have a complaint or symptom, make sure that it is documented by the service advisor. (The tech may also discover a warrantable issue or
      solution.) It is prudent and necesssary that any symptom or complaint be described.

2. If you do not have a warrantable complaint and you want a Service 2.0 upgrade, make sure that the Service Advisor documents your request on the service order. An oral request may get overlooked or may not get communicated to the tech.

3. If you have already had a complimentary Service 2.0 upgrade within the last 12 months, but you still want a Service 2.0 upgrade even at a modest cost, follow step #2 , AND ask for the quote if it will not be complimentary. (Some dealers may absorb the cost as goodwill for respectful and repeat customers. Just don't expect it has they need to make sure their techs are fairly compensated.)

4. Owners with recently purchased cars through the same dealer are more apt to experience good will when using their service center. YMMV.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 01-18-2020 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added a fourth point and touched up #1
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

What is the general difference between the Total Upgrade and the Service 2.0?

The Nov 2019 software update, for example. What would that be considered?

I’m due for my 20K complementary service and I would like to receive that update during my appointment.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension | 21" Wheels | Polestar

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by coachlange View Post
      What is the general difference between the Total Upgrade and the Service 2.0?

The Nov 2019 software update, for example. What would that be considered?

I’m due for my 20K complementary service and I would like to receive that update during my appointment.

Thanks for the info!

Total Upgrade and Service 2.0 are exactly the same. Total Upgrade can be billed by the dealer to Volvo - using a specific code.

The Service 2.0 is the same except it is complimentary every 12 months unless the Total Upgrade (billable to Volvo) is needed because of a warranty.

PDS is the same as well except it is applied to a new retail delivery which is why it is called a PreDelivery [Software]. Again just a billing code between the dealer and Volvo.

The November 2019 update is just a month/year reference for Total Software / Service 2.0 / PDS. The reason that the November and May updates are called out is that Nov. (~ week 46-48) is the mid-year build which may include new functionality or features. Likewise, the May update (~ week 17 for MY21) is the new model year - again where new functionality and features tend to be released even for prior years.

Software Bug fixes and incremental enhancements, et al can come out at any time.

Anyway, Volvo indicated early on with SPA starting with MY16 that Sensus updates et al would typically come out every 6-months - typically in the Nov and May time frames.

I typically have the scheduled service done around June subject to miles and one-year anniversary just so that I am assured of having the latest and greatest.

I tend not to worry about Nov. For reference though, remote start for MY16 XC90 T8s was released mid-cycle in late November 2017 (I think). Being in
      MN, I was at the dealer’s front door when that was released for MY16s.

Sorry for the long explanation but I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 01-19-2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Updated week 15 to week 17 only Volvo knows

Very helpful and clear. Thank you very much!

2018 XC60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension | 21" Wheels | Polestar

I bought a new 2020 XC90 T8 on Dec 28, 2019. They told me they performed a full update so I'm current. Brought car in for noise at the ERAD and they also discovered a Service Campaign A39981 so performed the update.

I learned later that the Service Campaign was issued Dec 16, 2020, to fix a situation where the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) software does not allow vehicle start in cases where the system incorrectly detects faults in the High Voltage Battery. Some have experienced and reported that problem in SS.

So @Gary-16-Xc90 did the dealer fail me or the Volvo policy? They let me drive off with an issue that could stranded me!

Quote Originally Posted by sdedson View Post
      ...So @Gary-16-Xc90 did the dealer fail me or the Volvo policy? They let me drive off with an issue that could stranded me!
      @sdedson, as a Volvo enthusiast,I can only share what I read, what I think I know and my experiences.

I would look to the dealer first. They are to apply to the PDS update prior to delivering your car as the initial retail sale.

What is their process? That may vary by dealer. As a matter of practice, does your dealer install PDS as each vehicle rolls off of the truck? I doubt it. It should part of pre-delivery to YOU as the first retail purchaser.

Since the campaign was announced on Dec. 16, 2019, and you bought the car on Dec. 29th, the PDS should have been applied. If the PDS was already applied (off the truck), my expectation that the Total Software Update should have been applied as part of the delivery.

So the answer is it depends. My initial thought is that the dealer may not have followed standard procedures but I am totally speculating. They told you that the software was up-to-date and it likely was not as there was an update available.

Also, a service campaign must be complied with for any new car on the lot before a retail delivery can be made. That is what the service campaign says.

How the software installs works and applied updates are beyond me. That is for someone technical expertise like a Volvo tech or someone that knows the VIDA protocols. You may wish to start another thread just on that topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sdedson View Post
      I bought a new 2020 XC90 T8 on Dec 28, 2019. They told me they performed a full update so I'm current. Brought car in for noise at the ERAD and they also discovered a Service Campaign A39981 so performed the update.

I learned later that the Service Campaign was issued Dec 16, 2020, to fix a situation where the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) software does not allow vehicle start in cases where the system incorrectly detects faults in the High Voltage Battery. Some have experienced and reported that problem in SS.

So @Gary-16-Xc90 did the dealer fail me or the Volvo policy? They let me drive off with an issue that could stranded me!
      Depends when the PDS software was done. It must be done within 10 days of delivery.

As Gary said, the Service 2.0 Upgrade, PDS upgrade and Total Upgrade are the same. So if the car comes off the truck with A39981 open and I do the PDS upgrade during the PDI like I'm supposed to, there will be no software left to update. The A39981 will remain open because we can't make a claim to close it. This is actually good because if you come back prior to your 1 year service with a concern that software will not fix, we can still update your software if an update is available.
      Last edited by Tech; 01-19-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Great, thank you for the explanations. I believe we are really lucky to get these periodic software upgrades. While some on the forum think Volvo is compelled to provide them there are other manufacturers who do not offer them to previously sold cars on a regular basis. My Chevy Bolt EV received one software upgrade in 3 years. And that car was software driven. I just spent twice the cost of my XC90 on a Acura NSX and I know that they recently upgraded the software for the new deliveries, but not for any other car. For Acura that is how they differentiate cars. If you want a car with fine tuned parameters, then you need to pony up and buy a new car. We are spoiled silly. I am truly a fan of Volvo.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Depends when the PDS software was done. It must be done within 10 days of delivery.

As Gary said, the Service 2.0 Upgrade, PDD upgrade and Total Upgrade are the same. So if the car comes off the truck with A39981 open and I do the PDS upgrade during the PDI like I'm supposed to, there will be no software left to update. The A39981 will remain open because we can't make a claim to close it. This is actually good because if you come back prior to your 1 year service with a concern that software will not fix, we can still update your software if an update is available.
      Thanks to both Gary and you. Appreciated.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements