Since software updates are a recurring theme in SS, I thought that it would be useful to post excerpts from the TJ with the latest Volvo information from Nov. 2019. Of course, the Volvo policy has and does change from time to time. At least this information will set a baseline. Whether a dealer charges for a Service 2.0 update is at the dealer's discretion.
Total Upgrade: Should be performed if there is a valid customer complaint or if directed to by a Technical Journal or a Quality Bulletin. It is no longer necessary to perform Total Upgrade at every service visit.
- The customer complaint should be clearly stated in the repair text.
- Warranty claims without this description may be rejected.
Service 2.0 Upgrade: Should be performed at a scheduled maintenance service when Total Upgrade is not being used for a repair at the same retailer visit.
- Retailers will be reimbursed for ONE Service 2.0 software update per vehicle within a 12 month period (refer to CPI 31-2019 for additional information).
PDS Upgrade: Should be performed at Retail Car Customer Delivery. ...
- Map and Voice control upgrades are no longer required as part of Total Upgrade or Service 2.0; however it is recommended that they be upgraded for maximum customer satisfaction.
- Map upgrades can NOT be claimed under warranty.
- Voice control database upgrades can only be claimed if there is a valid customer complaint as per TJ 33211