2014 S60 T5 VVT HUB Help!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2014 S60 T5 VVT HUB Help!

I have a question I canít find any information on this topic. So my Intake Hub is bad according to the dealer. Iím getting P0016 CEL. Ok so after All my marks are in the correct orientation Crank and cams and I lock the cams from the back with the special tool. I then remove the bad VVT HUB from the cam by removing the 2 Torx screws. Now my question
      On the new Hub does the position on the VVT matter ? I know the mark on the gear ⚙️ has to be on the 12 oíclock. Also what torque do these torx screws in the vvt hub torque to ? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What's your engine code?

You should lock your cams and crank with the special tools.

The orientation of the new hub does not matter. The center bolts are 120Nm. There should only be one torx per hub.
      Last edited by mgm7890; 01-19-2020 at 11:02 AM.
      2005 S40 2.4i

Quote Originally Posted by mgm7890 View Post
      What's your engine code?

You should lock your cams and crank with the special tools.

The orientation of the new hub does not matter. The center bolts are 120Nm. There should only be one torx per hub.
      Hey MGM7890 thanks for the response.

Correct I have my back of the cams locked and I also have the crank locked. Sorry I meant the center torx bolt and the center bolt cap.

The engine code is

B5254T12

Attachment 58155
      Attachment 58157

So the the orientation of the VVT does not matter on these types of hubs As long as the mark is pointed at the 12 oíclock with the cam cover ?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes. There is no indication of VVT orientation in VIDA. The VVT just needs to be mounted. The cam is what needs to have a specific orientation.

Also, your picture links are bad, fyi.
      2005 S40 2.4i

The new ones should have marks for 12 o'clock like the old ones I believe, though I have yet to replace a VVT hub on one of those cars. Line those up. Functionally, it doesn't matter. But you'll give whoever changes the timing belt in the future fits if you just put them on with the marks off.

Yes. There is no indication of VVT orientation in VIDA. The VVT just needs to be mounted. The cam is what needs to have a specific orientation.

Also, your picture links are bad, fyi.
      Mgm7890 thanks a million man I appreciate your help I couldnít find this information anywhere thereís a million videos and threads talking about the older style vvt hubs how they have to reset the Vvt and thatís what had me worried. Is it possible
      For me tho get a PDF of the VIDA On this job ? Thanks.

Last edited by mgm7890; 01-19-2020 at 06:44 PM.
      2005 S40 2.4i

Sure.
      I truly appreciate your help !! Thanks again MGM7890 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      The new ones should have marks for 12 o'clock like the old ones I believe, though I have yet to replace a VVT hub on one of those cars. Line those up. Functionally, it doesn't matter. But you'll give whoever changes the timing belt in the future fits if you just put them on with the marks off.
      Thanks Tech Iím waiting on my new VVT Hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector_Volvo View Post
      I truly appreciate your help !! Thanks again MGM7890
      No problem!
      2005 S40 2.4i

If the new VVT does not have a mark (when I replaced mine on my S40, it did not), then just make sure to make a mark of your own. I painted a mark to line up with the notch in the cover.
      2013 XC60 T6
      2015 V60CC T5

No problem!
      funny that you mention the tool. i ordered a cheep one from eBay, ended up returning it back. bought my self the good one and honestly the quality is a big difference. i don't want to risk the tool braking on me. I'm only waiting on the new hub to get here some time this week ill probably try to knock this job down Saturday. if i have any questions don't mind me bothering you!

Quote Originally Posted by mamba42 View Post
      If the new VVT does not have a mark (when I replaced mine on my S40, it did not), then just make sure to make a mark of your own. I painted a mark to line up with the notch in the cover.
      No way! I hope the one i ordered has the mark for peace of mind. i don't want to mess this up. I bought it from IPD and its not original but the guy from IPD said INA is the same manufacture only difference here is the name it does not say VOLVO. i hope it has the mark. Whats the worst if it does not have the mark?

No way! I hope the one i ordered has the mark for peace of mind. i don't want to mess this up. I bought it from IPD and its not original but the guy from IPD said INA is the same manufacture only difference here is the name it does not say VOLVO. i hope it has the mark. Whats the worst if it does not have the mark?
      Like Tech mentioned above, the mark is just to help line things up for simplicity sake on timing belt jobs. It doesn't really matter where it is for it to be functional.

If yours doesn't have a mark, just take a paint pen and draw one for 12 to line up with the notch on the timing cover.
      2005 S40 2.4i

Like Tech mentioned above, the mark is just to help line things up for simplicity sake on timing belt jobs. It doesn't really matter where it is for it to be functional.

If yours doesn't have a mark, just take a paint pen and draw one for 12 to line up with the notch on the timing cover.
      Ok you guys are correct the seller just informed me that the new VVT HUB does not come with a timing Mark 😬! So then all I need to do is align the old vvt hub and then mark the new one ? Or can I just remove the gear ⚙️ from the old vvt and screw it back in to the new one ?

Ok you guys are correct the seller just informed me that the new VVT HUB does not come with a timing Mark ! So then all I need to do is align the old vvt hub and then mark the new one ? Or can I just remove the gear from the old vvt and screw it back in to the new one ?
      The VVT and gear should be all in one. I'm not sure what you mean about separating them.
      2005 S40 2.4i

Double check what you bought. The INA would should be all in one. That's how mine was. What PN did you get?
      2005 S40 2.4i

Yeah your right the guy said Iím not supposed to disassemble the hub ok Iíll make my own marks.

Thatís the part number.

This may help. Not the same exact issue, but there is relevant info in it with pictures and good advice.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth.../topics/489386
      Last edited by mgm7890; 01-20-2020 at 04:49 PM.
      2005 S40 2.4i

Yeah it will be a whole hub. I used the INA part, no problem. It does not have a mark so just make on your self when you have it all locked to match the notch in the cover.

When you have the camshafts locked it will be in time so the marks are really for your own help later down the line if you replace the belt again, etc.

Definitely donít disassemble the hub. It will come as a whole part ready to be put on once you have the cams locked with the tool. I agree you made the right call with getting the better tool for this too. I used the eBay one first and it broke on me.

Good luck!
      2013 XC60 T6
      2015 V60CC T5

Quote Originally Posted by mamba42 View Post
      Yeah it will be a whole hub. I used the INA part, no problem. It does not have a mark so just make on your self when you have it all locked to match the notch in the cover.

When you have the camshafts locked it will be in time so the marks are really for your own help later down the line if you replace the belt again, etc.

Definitely donít disassemble the hub. It will come as a whole part ready to be put on once you have the cams locked with the tool. I agree you made the right call with getting the better tool for this too. I used the eBay one first and it broke on me.

Good luck!
      Thanks Mamba42 ill update you guys this weekend.

Ok guys I am happy to report that I successfully changed out timing belt, VVT Hub, cam seals, water pump, tensioner and idler pulley. I was extremely nervous to start the car for the first time not knowing if the engine was going to explode hahah luckily it started with out a problem and the P0016 CEL is long gone. I canít be any happier with the car. I want to thank everyone for helping me out special thanks to MGM7890! The part worked like new no oil leaks so far. Thanks again for everyoneís help !

Oh yeah the VVT HUB was my problem thatís why I had a P0016 CEL idk what was wrong with it maybe oil clogged ?

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements