SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2014 S60 T5 VVT HUB Help!

7K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  Hector_Volvo 
#1 ·
I have a question I can’t find any information on this topic. So my Intake Hub is bad according to the dealer. I’m getting P0016 CEL. Ok so after All my marks are in the correct orientation Crank and cams and I lock the cams from the back with the special tool. I then remove the bad VVT HUB from the cam by removing the 2 Torx screws. Now my question
On the new Hub does the position on the VVT matter ? I know the mark on the gear ⚙ has to be on the 12 o’clock. Also what torque do these torx screws in the vvt hub torque to ? Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
What's your engine code?

You should lock your cams and crank with the special tools.

The orientation of the new hub does not matter. The center bolts are 120Nm. There should only be one torx per hub.

#3 ·
What's your engine code?

You should lock your cams and crank with the special tools.

The orientation of the new hub does not matter. The center bolts are 120Nm. There should only be one torx per hub.
Hey MGM7890 thanks for the response.

Correct I have my back of the cams locked and I also have the crank locked. Sorry I meant the center torx bolt and the center bolt cap.

The engine code is

B5254T12

View attachment 58155
View attachment 58157

So the the orientation of the VVT does not matter on these types of hubs As long as the mark is pointed at the 12 o'clock with the cam cover ?

#4 ·
Yes. There is no indication of VVT orientation in VIDA. The VVT just needs to be mounted. The cam is what needs to have a specific orientation.

Also, your picture links are bad, fyi.

#6 ·
Mgm7890 thanks a million man I appreciate your help I couldn't find this information anywhere there's a million videos and threads talking about the older style vvt hubs how they have to reset the Vvt and that's what had me worried. Is it possible
For me tho get a PDF of the VIDA On this job ? Thanks.

#5 ·
The new ones should have marks for 12 o'clock like the old ones I believe, though I have yet to replace a VVT hub on one of those cars. Line those up. Functionally, it doesn't matter. But you'll give whoever changes the timing belt in the future fits if you just put them on with the marks off.

#13 ·
No way! I hope the one i ordered has the mark for peace of mind. i don't want to mess this up. I bought it from IPD and its not original but the guy from IPD said INA is the same manufacture only difference here is the name it does not say VOLVO. i hope it has the mark. Whats the worst if it does not have the mark?

#22 ·
Yeah it will be a whole hub. I used the INA part, no problem. It does not have a mark so just make on your self when you have it all locked to match the notch in the cover.

When you have the camshafts locked it will be in time so the marks are really for your own help later down the line if you replace the belt again, etc.

Definitely don’t disassemble the hub. It will come as a whole part ready to be put on once you have the cams locked with the tool. I agree you made the right call with getting the better tool for this too. I used the eBay one first and it broke on me.

Good luck!

#23 ·
Yeah it will be a whole hub. I used the INA part, no problem. It does not have a mark so just make on your self when you have it all locked to match the notch in the cover.

When you have the camshafts locked it will be in time so the marks are really for your own help later down the line if you replace the belt again, etc.

Definitely don't disassemble the hub. It will come as a whole part ready to be put on once you have the cams locked with the tool. I agree you made the right call with getting the better tool for this too. I used the eBay one first and it broke on me.

Good luck!
Thanks Mamba42 ill update you guys this weekend.

#24 ·
Ok guys I am happy to report that I successfully changed out timing belt, VVT Hub, cam seals, water pump, tensioner and idler pulley. I was extremely nervous to start the car for the first time not knowing if the engine was going to explode hahah luckily it started with out a problem and the P0016 CEL is long gone. I can’t be any happier with the car. I want to thank everyone for helping me out special thanks to MGM7890! The part worked like new no oil leaks so far. Thanks again for everyone’s help !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.