2008 C30 Clutch Pedal stuck on the Floor
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2008 C30 Clutch Pedal stuck on the Floor

Like the title says, I have an 08 C30 M6 with the clutch pedal stuck on the floor. There is about 1-2 inches of travel and the clutch will still engage and disengage, but it doesn't return like it should. I've done a lot of reading, and it seems like this issue is generally caused by a bad master and/or slave cylinder. From what I've read you're supposed to replace one when you replace the other anyway. I've started taking it apart, but I'm hung up on the bolts connecting the sway bar to the subframe. There wasn't enough space to undo them with the subframe in place, so I disconnected everything and unbolted the subframe from the unibody. Now I have better access to the bolts, but I still haven't been able to break them loose. Has anyone done this job? How did you get these bolts loose? I'm at my wit's end and seriously considering just putting everything back together, driving it to the nearest Volvo dealership to have them diagnose this, and trying to trade it in for the next to nothing that it's worth at this point. I barely have enough money to replace the clutch, flywheel, master/slave cylinders, and the seals in that area. I can't afford to have the dealership do the work and haven't been able to find a good independent Volvo mechanic in the area.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by C30NC View Post
      Like the title says, I have an 08 C30 M6 with the clutch pedal stuck on the floor. There is about 1-2 inches of travel and the clutch will still engage and disengage, but it doesn't return like it should. I've done a lot of reading, and it seems like this issue is generally caused by a bad master and/or slave cylinder. From what I've read you're supposed to replace one when you replace the other anyway. I've started taking it apart, but I'm hung up on the bolts connecting the sway bar to the subframe. There wasn't enough space to undo them with the subframe in place, so I disconnected everything and unbolted the subframe from the unibody. Now I have better access to the bolts, but I still haven't been able to break them loose. Has anyone done this job? How did you get these bolts loose? I'm at my wit's end and seriously considering just putting everything back together, driving it to the nearest Volvo dealership to have them diagnose this, and trying to trade it in for the next to nothing that it's worth at this point. I barely have enough money to replace the clutch, flywheel, master/slave cylinders, and the seals in that area. I can't afford to have the dealership do the work and haven't been able to find a good independent Volvo mechanic in the area.
      Have you tried this article yet? I would assume if your having issues you could unbolt the sway bar end links so that you can rotate the sway bar freely. Additionally removing the lower control arms could help with access.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...me_Removal.htm
      2019 XC40 T4 FWD, Momentum with Premium and Vision Package - Hers
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - His
      1997 Volvo 850 N/A with 240k, 1 owner, SOLD 2017
      2000 C70 Convertible 5sp HPT, SOLD 2011

Quote Originally Posted by C30NC View Post
      I did change my slave cylinder myself about 2 1/2 years ago so my memory of it might be iffy, but I don't remember having to remove the swaybar or even completely remove the subframe to remove the transmission... I think I only had to unscrew the subframe to gain clearance but that's about it. Once the axles are out and the trans mount are unscrewed, I was able to tilt the engine/trans assembly and remove the transmission from underneath.
      Getting it back in was a b**** though.
      But if you remove the subframe it's much easier to leave the swaybar attached to it and disconnect the end links as has been suggested.
      I also replaced the clutch lines shortly after, somehow they seemed to allow air into the system and clutch feel was not really great sometimes (not that it has ever been the best feeling clutch i the world to begin with)
      Last edited by Fwinns; 01-27-2020 at 12:38 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements