Blowing Lighter Fuse
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Blowing Lighter Fuse

Does anyone had experience with blowing fuse for lighters?
      I’ve already changed one and now again blowed. Already measured circuit and all looks fine. I’m using new Anker charger which works fine in other car.
      Is anything else connected on this fuse?
      Please help bcs now I’m confused and afraid to change fuse again.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do you have multiple lighter plugs in car? If there is, are the on same circuit? If on different circuits, try swapping the lighter plugs... if problem moves, you know it’s the plug itself.

Your charger is putting too many amps then it was designed for through that particular cigarette lighter circuit. Other car has a larger amp carrying ability in the lighter circuit. Either hook the charger directly to the battery, get a charger that pushes less amps, or (not recommended) put in a higher amp fuse. Try another lighter circuit as Vovo suggested too
      Last edited by Thommykent; 01-20-2020 at 08:06 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I may have jumped the gun a little bit ... I totally missed the part about the charger.. lol

Anyways, assuming your XC60 is set up like mine. When I use a battery tender (Noco g3500) through a lighter I have to use the one in the cargo compartment. I forget why... but when I went to the forward lighter it wouldn’t work at all, however I don’t think I blew a fuse trying it.

With CanBus systems doing anything out of the norm electrical is a crap shoot. Even those USB lighter plugs can screw things up if it`s a cheap one.

I think somehow is possible that + touch - inside plug if charger is spinning inside, I mean if someone do it by hand.

Anyways, assuming your XC60 is set up like mine. When I use a battery tender (Noco g3500) through a lighter I have to use the one in the cargo compartment. I forget why... but when I went to the forward lighter it wouldnt work at all, however I dont think I blew a fuse trying it.
      I think it is because the rear lighter socket 12v is always live, whereas the front one depends on ignition selection.
      MY15.5 XC60 D5 AWD Luxury. P*. Driver Support Package. Front Blind View. Savile Grey
      1983 240 DL Beige (The old family car which lasted 17yrs)

The 12v outlet in the cargo compartment is on a separate circuit than those in the floor console.

I think Maddo is correct that the cargo compartment is always hot while those in the floor console are not.
      2007 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoColombia View Post
      Does anyone had experience with blowing fuse for lighters?
      I’ve already changed one and now again blowed. Already measured circuit and all looks fine. I’m using new Anker charger which works fine in other car.
      Is anything else connected on this fuse?
      Please help bcs now I’m confused and afraid to change fuse again.
      Had the same issue with a particular charger, two blown fuses, bought ten fuses, then threw the charger away and replaced it with another and never had a blown fuse again. I mostly have front and rear lighter ports connected to chargers.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements