New 2020 XC90T8 has a VIN # now, how long until it will be at the dealer? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Dealer cleared the code and all is well. If it comes back they will look into it more. Seems to be an issue with 2020 T8 models in the 60 and 90 series models so they say. Time will tell.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 2020XC90T8 View Post
      Dealer cleared the code and all is well. If it comes back they will look into it more. Seems to be an issue with 2020 T8 models in the 60 and 90 series models so they say. Time will tell.
      Did they say what the code it is? If not serious then next time you can read it and know it is not urgent.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      It is indeed a little annoying. I have a OBDII reader from my old car so I have some idea what kind of code it is.

I really think they should show the code in Car Status app, and some hint if it is serious issue or not.

I asked about that and they said that they don't have that capability yet. It is programming not rocket science.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

After BECM Service Campaign A39981 was applied to my 2020 XC60 T8 (for all 2020 XC/S/V T8's), and my yellow check engine lights the next day, there were at least 3 codes my dealer found (if I transcribed them right) ECM925A268 (which is something about the BCM requesting engine lamp -- whatever that is), BCM-C056308, & BCM-U003700 -- with "no fault tracing" and dealership was advised by whoever they first contact to clear, test drive and when codes did not reappear, to send me home until reoccurrence, when further diagnostics would need to be run with the next level of Volvo Tech Support above the dealership.

While I've had no yellow lights since, as previously described, I am having the odd intermittent situation with the hybrid electric motor to seemingly disappear for 1-2 minutes while driving... After many tries in the past 3 weeks, I was finally able to catch a photo sequence this morning showing the situation I'm having, so have fully organized and documented that with photos and symptoms for Service to look at. IMO for my situation, it's more than coincidence my problems began the day after the BECM Service Campaign code was applied, as I had no issues before that since delivery on 12/30. The update either created a new software problem and/or exposed something failing in my hardware that was not apparent until the new BECM code was installed. I fortunately can drive my T8 ... it just goes into a T6-ICE-only-sorta-mode for a minute or two every now and then, and I don't believe I'm getting as good on-the-fly regen as I did before. I'll see, but I also doubt this is gonna be a quick fix, since the original failure code combination was not immediately recognizable and actionable.

FWIW, I confirmed with my Service that yellow idiot lights need to be reported, but you can generally keep driving. Red idiot lights mean something is significantly degraded or failing and don't drive until you get confirmation. IMO, those broad categorizations with color are no different than other cars I've owned in the past. I may be an X-geekie-type, but I have no desire to try and get under the covers looking up codes myself to make some different determination. I'll just go with the Yellow/Red and some reasonable judgement, and leave the detail for Volvo to deal with.
      Last edited by BertL; 02-15-2020 at 09:07 PM.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

^^^ As a follow-up to the above post, it's now been nearly a month...

I had not driven my 2020 XC60 T8 for a couple days. Turned it on Wednesday and got the new-to-me Turtle Symbol with a "Reduced performance Acceleration performance reduced" message on the IC. Hybrid IC display then changed and lost what I call "battery potential" as described in https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...does-this-mean with what has 'til now been an intermittent 1-2 minute problem. I went ahead and drove to the store a couple miles away and parked -- figuring from other threads around here that the "Turtle" was like BMW Limp Mode I'm all too familiar with engine problems in my former 335i -- safe to drive, just limited in what you can do. When starting up my T8 to return home, the Turtle Symbol reappeared, the IC went into it's no "battery potential" display mode, and this time a yellow check engine light appeared. I also now had no AC -- fan, but no cooling. Had a couple times where it was a bit scary to drive as it was like all ICE acceleration power suddenly disappeared, a big lurch, and then acceleration rapidly started again. Had less than a mile to go, so parked at home and immediately smelled in the cabin what I would describe as "burning plastic", with a small amount of white smoke coming out of the rear tail pipe, along with all sort of creeking and moaning like what can happen with metal cooling/heating. I immediately thought of the catalitic converter, but I wouldn't think that by itself would cause what I've believed are more systemic hybrid issues I've been having. I backed the car out of the garage, into my driveway and away from the house, and called Service. They had me bring it in (with all the same symptoms along the way) and I have a 2020 XC60 T5 loaner...

Received a call at end of business yesterday they have tracked the (or all, IDK) problem to a faulty hybrid battery cell. I don't know what the code(s) were they found this time. (Just like I know with my former Tesla battery issues), Volvo Service can't replace a single cell, so has to replace the entire hybrid battery. It's on order and should arrive later next week. More to come if I learn anything new -- otherwise, "new hybrid battery within the first 90 days of ownership, here I come."
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      It is indeed a little annoying. I have a OBDII reader from my old car so I have some idea what kind of code it is.

I really think they should show the code in Car Status app, and some hint if it is serious issue or not.

I have been back to the dealer several times for the same check engine light and we think we have a handle on what might be triggering it. They did another software update, checked the gas filler tube, and cleared the other miscellaneous code that was being recorded. Apparently if there is not a firm seal after getting gas, the system would give a check engine light. It turns out all is fine with the tube seal. It seems to have solved that issue. Getting gas has been the triggering event. Once I burn a little gas, and the vehicle cycles on and off a few times, the light would go off by itself. Also it seems there is another minor annoyance. When the passenger front door is opened while the vehicle is running, when the door is closed, a message shows up that the key isn't recognized. They reset the keys and in theory that fixed it. Well it didn't so the next time I go to the service department I will have them look at that again.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2