New 2020 XC90T8 has a VIN # now, how long until it will be at the dealer?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New 2020 XC90T8 has a VIN # now, how long until it will be at the dealer?

As of today I have a VIN number, does that mean my delivery time might be sooner than the end of February as I have been told previously? My current delivery time is still Feb 26th. Dose that mean that is when I can pick it up from the dealer, or when it lands at a US port. Which one would it land at? Newark, NJ? I can't get any real info from my dealer. Can anyone assist me? Much appreciated in advance.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My first impression is that your reported delivery date sounds a bit optimistic. BUT, it could happen. I would plan for March 15th and hope for February 29th. Leap year gives you another day.👍

Once a chassis is assigned to complete a VIN, it goes into a production queue. I recall that it could be up to 10 business days, then another 5 days to build, et al, another 5 business days to get on a RoRo vessel, then another 25 calendar days from shore to shore.

If you are in NJ, the receiving port might be NY or Baltimore. Another 5-10 days to clear customs and find a ride to the dealer.

It will be interesting to hear what actually happened. Good luck. Set back and read the owner’s manual over and over while you patiently wait. It is worth it.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

OP, see the dates my XC60 T8 recently went through, part way down in this post: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7485887. Your car won’t have to go through the Panama Canal as mine did, but you’ll have longer land transport time once it arrives at I believe, the Savannah GA VPC for delivery to you in the East. Just hang on. VIN is assigned while the build process is underway — way before it actually ships. Your dealer will be able to soon provide you an estimated range the factory suggests actual delivery will occur at the dealer with +/- a couple of weeks. IMO, VIN # is interesting, but didn’t help me much tracking arrival. There are many variables, so this isn’t a precise timeline. As my grandmother used to say, “patience is a virtue”. Check out my post above for what I know.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      OP, see the dates my XC60 T8 recently went through, part way down in this post: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7485887. Your car won’t have to go through the Panama Canal as mine did, but you’ll have longer land transport time once it arrives at I believe, the Savannah GA VPC for delivery to you in the East. Just hang on. VIN is assigned while the build process is underway — way before it actually ships. Your dealer will be able to soon provide you an estimated range the factory suggests actual delivery will occur at the dealer with +/- a couple of weeks. IMO, VIN # is interesting, but didn’t help me much tracking arrival. There are many variables, so this isn’t a precise timeline. As my grandmother used to say, “patience is a virtue”. Check out my post above for what I know.
      I have never ordered a car before and this waiting game is a challenge. For god sake I am older guy and feel like a high school kid waiting at the door for the mail to arrive. I placed my order on November 15, so 12 weeks puts me out to February 15th and I'm being told delivery is February 26th. That is 14 weeks in total. Doesn't that seem like a long time from beginning to end? I have read the manual twice over, your extensive review on the XC60T8 BertL, and viewed every YouTube video I can find. I think I am ready. Now I need my ride, the Silver Surfer! First world problems I know.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims

@BertL, I am not sure why the vehicle would go to Savannah. My XC90 was dropped in Baltimore. My vessel made stops in NYC and Halifax before Baltimore. There are RoRos that come direct from Ghent to Baltimore. Savannah is typically used for south and southeast deliveries.

Things may have changed somewhat since Dec. 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by 2020XC90T8 View Post
      I have never ordered a car before and this waiting game is a challenge. For god sake I am older guy and feel like a high school kid waiting at the door for the mail to arrive. I placed my order on November 15, so 12 weeks puts me out to February 15th and I'm being told delivery is February 26th. That is 14 weeks in total. Doesn't that seem like a long time from beginning to end? I have read the manual twice over, your extensive review on the XC60T8 BertL, and viewed every YouTube video I can find. I think I am ready. Now I need my ride, the Silver Surfer! First world problems I know.
      I think you should be overly pleased your wait is as short as it is. My average wait time with more than a dozen special orders from Japan, US, Germany and now Sweden is more like 5-6 months.

Just so you know what waiting can be:
      It took more than 1.5 years for me to get a preordered 2002 SC430 when the backlog after General Availability became so bad, Lexus went to 3-shift days for months in a factory dedicated to the single model trying to catch-up. I was living in Georgia at the time, just hoping each time my home phone rang it would be my local dealer saying a car with my specs had arrived -- and then I'd have 24 hours to pick it up or loose my spot in line -- when one of my employees paged me (remember that?) while I was in-transit waiting for a flight home from Honolulu, that she saw an SC430 in my color combo arriving off a truck at a dealership next to her dentist while she was sitting in the chair... She went over there when she was done, found the car was an unexpected and unspoken-for "bonus car" the dealership received; I called the dealership from an airport pay phone (they had those too, back in the dark ages), gave them a credit card to hold the car as I was boarding my plane in HNL, arrived home in GA, faxed some paperwork back to the California dealership, flew back to Los Angeles the following day, saw the car, took it for a quick test drive, paid for it (at MSRP which I was pleased with then, as many dealers were tacking on premiums above MSRP because they could in a hot market), flew back home to GA that same afternoon, called my original dealership in GA and cancelled my preorder with them; my SC430 was shipped to me back in Marietta GA, and I was a happy camper once it finally arrived 3 weeks later (except for the two scratches the shipper caused from tie-down chains, which I had to get repaired). Odd thing was, I was transferred with work back to the West Coast, not 70 miles from that dealership within 6 months. Net: Your less than 4-month wait, with a targeted delivery date just a month away is nothing. Be happy.

My suggestion for you is twofold: 1) Ask your dealership for the build week of your car, if they know the name of the ship it's on (they may or may not), and confirm the port your car should arrive at. 2) With that info, start the game of which ship your XC90 may be on, then tracking from Goteburg across the Atlantic. It will keep you busy looking at stats, when it leaves, arrives, the weather, etc. You can see daily and minute-by-minute progress as the ship crosses if you're so inclined, but ***WARNING*** what will drive you nuts is once it hits the East Coast port, you must then just flat-out wait until it finally hits your dealership -- you'll have no visibility until the VPC informs your dealership the car has arrived and is on the way to them ...and time in the VPC can vary, as can additional transit time from there to your dealership. Good luck on your wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      @BertL, I am not sure why the vehicle would go to Savannah. My XC90 was dropped in Baltimore. My vessel made stops in NYC and Halifax before Baltimore. There are RoRos that come direct from Ghent to Baltimore. Savannah is typically used for south and southeast deliveries.

Things may have changed somewhat since Dec. 2015.

I'm a West Coast guy, so don't have a lot of facts on "the other coast". I was told elsewhere there are two drop-off points in the US -- one west (Port Hueneme, which handles 11 States on this side, and my dealership confirmed that is the only West Coast VPC for Volvo) and one east -- but I don't know the latter for fact ...I mean really, who trusts anonymous posters on forums and social media with statements being fact anyway? AHAHAHA. The ship carrying my XC60 last month came across the Atlantic to Savannah where it made a drop-off, before heading to Panama and back up this side of the USA. If Volvo has enough volume to use multiple VPCs on the East Coast like the bigger guys, that's great news and makes tremendous sense reducing rail/land transit time to the Northeast.
      Last edited by BertL; 01-21-2020 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Formatting
      Bert

Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Yep, after Baltimore, then most vessels head for Savannah and onto the Panama canal and onto Cali.

Thank you gents for the intel. I notified my wife last night that we will need to discuss with out contractor replacing our hard wood floors as I pace around the house waiting for the email/text/phone call to come in to say that the Silver Surfer has arrived. I think I am going to name it that. Seems appropriate and if for nothing else I need a call sign.

As of today I have a VIN number, does that mean my delivery time might be sooner than the end of February as I have been told previously? My current delivery time is still Feb 26th. Dose that mean that is when I can pick it up from the dealer, or when it lands at a US port. Which one would it land at? Newark, NJ? I can't get any real info from my dealer. Can anyone assist me? Much appreciated in advance.
      You dealer should be able to provide you a print out with the landmark dates, such as entering and completing production. You can then use the VIN to track the shipment at: https://www.walleniuswilhelmsen.com/track-trace
      Once the car is at the port in Gothenburg, the VIN is in their system and will auto-populate with the vessel and its ports of call.

Quote Originally Posted by sam818 View Post
      You dealer should be able to provide you a print out with the landmark dates, such as entering and completing production. You can then use the VIN to track the shipment at: https://www.walleniuswilhelmsen.com/track-trace
      Once the car is at the port in Gothenburg, the VIN is in their system and will auto-populate with the vessel and its ports of call.
      This forum is awesome! Thank you so much!

So here is what I have from the dealer. Please help me translate this data:

Planned delivery date range: 1/26/2020 to 2/9/2020
      Order Last Amended date: 1/21/2020
      LDOC date: 12/11/2019
      Actual Build date: 1/14/2020
      Planned Factory Complete date: 1/17/2020
      Actual Factory Complete date: 1/15/2020
      Status Point: dispatched
      Intermediate Destination: FAPS (salesman says it will land in Newark)

So it looks like they are anticipating it arriving before Feb 26th, or am I not interpreting this correctly. Please advise.

So it looks like they are anticipating it arriving before Feb 26th, or am I not interpreting this correctly. Please advise.
      Go to the Wallenius Wilhelmsen tracking page and enter the VIN. If the car was completed 6 days ago there is a high probability that the Bill of Lading has already been generated. You can then check to see on which vessel its going to be loaded.

My first suggestion is to try and chill a bit. Net is, you XC90 is built. It’s likely on a ship or soon will be. The factory suggests if all goes well and there are no unexpected problems, it will arrive at the dealer between 1/26 - 2/9. Your dealer is giving you a further out date, which is what mine did, as has every other dealer, each time I’ve special ordered. They do not want to disappoint you, and do not want to over-commit with an earlier delivery date where they may have to come back to you and say it’s been delayed — that would @%(#*U you off more, and perhaps impact your score on a customer survey wouldn’t it? As with anyone working customer sat, the objective is to “over deliver” — in this case, deliver your car to you by or before the date the dealer give you. Your dealer may also know something the factory does not about backups in the VPC, potential strikes that could cause delays, or they just have a more realistic feel for how long it’s been taking (although I suspect they have really stretched what reality will be, based on that factory estimate — just look at my actual timeline against the estimate, and I had another 2+ weeks at sea than you will.)

If I were you, besides trying to find something else to focus on for awhile — maybe get into watching 200+ Friends episodes from beginning to end, or another favorite long series you’ve been putting off. Seriously though, I’d set in my head that somewhere in the first 3 weeks of February you’ll be getting a phone call that your new toy is ready — I wouldn’t go on vacation during that timeframe. Until then, really, nothing more you can do but perhaps watch your ship come across the Atlantic, then begin wondering again when your car hits Newark and goes into a black hole from your POV with no communication from VPC-to-Dealer until the dealer calls you.
      Bert

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      My first suggestion is to try and chill a bit. Net is, you XC90 is built. It’s likely on a ship or soon will be. The factory suggests if all goes well and there are no unexpected problems, it will arrive at the dealer between 1/26 - 2/9. Your dealer is giving you a further out date, which is what mine did, as has every other dealer, each time I’ve special ordered. They do not want to disappoint you, and do not want to over-commit with an earlier delivery date where they may have to come back to you and say it’s been delayed — that would @%(#*U you off more, and perhaps impact your score on a customer survey wouldn’t it? As with anyone working customer sat, the objective is to “over deliver” — in this case, deliver your car to you by or before the date the dealer give you. Your dealer may also know something the factory does not about backups in the VPC, potential strikes that could cause delays, or they just have a more realistic feel for how long it’s been taking (although I suspect they have really stretched what reality will be, based on that factory estimate — just look at my actual timeline against the estimate, and I had another 2+ weeks at sea than you will.)

If I were you, besides trying to find something else to focus on for awhile — maybe get into watching 200+ Friends episodes from beginning to end, or another favorite long series you’ve been putting off. Seriously though, I’d set in my head that somewhere in the first 3 weeks of February you’ll be getting a phone call that your new toy is ready — I wouldn’t go on vacation during that timeframe. Until then, really, nothing more you can do but perhaps watch your ship come across the Atlantic, then begin wondering again when your car hits Newark and goes into a black hole from your POV with no communication from VPC-to-Dealer until the dealer calls you.
      All great points. It is exciting for sure. I did not think of the managing of my time line expectations until you mentioned it. I'll go back to building the music play list I want to play on the B&W system in the first few thousand miles. Thank you for the help!

All great points. It is exciting for sure. I did not think of the managing of my time line expectations until you mentioned it. I'll go back to building the music play list I want to play on the B&W system in the first few thousand miles. Thank you for the help!
      Which state do you live in?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like the next ships leave Gothenburg on January 24th and February 2nd. Both are about 14 day trips from Sweeden to New York Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by B0000rt View Post
      Which state do you live in?

I'm fairly local to you. I'm in Westchester NY.

I'm fairly local to you. I'm in Westchester NY.
      Nice. I'll post my details when I get home tonight, but one thing to note, my car was shipped from Gothenburg to Belgium and transferred ships which made stops in the Kent and Halifax, then Newark I believe.

There's multiple huge threads about tracking your car on these forums, and there should be a post from me where I went through all the posts and collected dates/timings from other peoples posts where LDOC, Factory Compete, arrival date etc. where available. That should give you a rough time frame when your car arrives. Have fun tracking your ship on marinetraffic!

Have a read through these threads to pass the time
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...t-and-delivery
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ing-Car-to-USA
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...XC90s-on-order
      See post #658 in that thread for some historical info.

My dates were as follows:
      Order Placed - Feb 20
      LDOC - March 4
      FC - April 2
      LOVE in Gothenburg - April 10
      Arrived in Zeebrugge - April 12
      LOVE in Zeebrugge - April 18
      ARRI - April 30
      ARRD - May 3
      DELC - May 4

Since you have a FC date, you should be able to check the 2wglobal website for your VIN to see which ship it's on.

Latest update after your collective help, specifically B0000rt THANK YOU, the vehicle is supposed to arrive in Newark, NJ on Feb 2nd!!!!! I am tracking the ship across the ocean. Nuts that you can do this. So according to my dealer, with the paperwork arriving afterwards, and getting loaded on the truck for the short ride to the dealership, it might be the middle of February before I take delivery. I hope it isn't that long, but I'm excited for the new arrival. Thank you everyone!

UPDATE:

Vehicle landed on Feb 2nd in NJ. I tracked it across the Atlantic and found a webcam in Halifax so I saw it come into the port there. I watched it leave Halifax and when it came into the New York Harbor, there is a live webcam I found and watched it pass under the Verrazanno Bridge on the way to Bayonne NJ. It was sort of nuts I could do this, but it was fun so why not.

As soon as I have it in my hands between the 8th and the 14th when I take delivery, I will report back again. Thank you again for your guidance!

UPDATE:

Vehicle landed on Feb 2nd in NJ. I tracked it across the Atlantic and found a webcam in Halifax so I saw it come into the port there. I watched it leave Halifax and when it came into the New York Harbor, there is a live webcam I found and watched it pass under the Verrazanno Bridge on the way to Bayonne NJ. It was sort of nuts I could do this, but it was fun so why not.

As soon as I have it in my hands between the 8th and the 14th when I take delivery, I will report back again. Thank you again for your guidance!
      Are you sure it left Halifax? I spent a lot of time in Halifax during my Cdn Navy And Air Force days.....Great bars and Donairs!!!
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
      Are you sure it left Halifax? I spent a lot of time in Halifax during my Cdn Navy And Air Force days.....Great bars and Donairs!!!
      I tracked it right into the auto port in Halifax. I'm certain about that. Thank you for your service!

I am reminded of the song by Carly Simon Anticipation! Cars and women can do that to us.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

I took delivery yesterday! WOW is all I have to say.

Pictures? So it was around 25 days from VIN to delivery? Sounds like it made great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

Ah! Sweet. So only 10 days after the ship landed in Newark

I will be taking pictures over the weekend as the weather has been unbecoming. So far of the 65 miles driven 54 have been in EV. I have to figure out a lot of things in the settings like XM presets, M1 and M2 presets so my wife can set herself up with her particular settings. I got the garage door opener to sync. I figured out how to turn on the auto brights for the headlights, and the various interior lighting options. Very cool. However when driving last night, I found the HUD has a slight reflection on the right side of the display that is visible in the windshield. I wonder if that is catching a reflection from the interior ambient lighting. Also this morning I was slightly distracted by a reflection in the passenger front B&W upper speaker aluminum covering for the tweeter in the door. As I was passing under some trees and the sun was coming in from that angle it was a little distracting. No big deal, just something to get used to. Lastly the overall feeling of weight in the ride, the way the doors feel when opening and closing them, as well as the zero suspension sounds over bumps is extraordinary. I wonder if there is a way to have the air suspension lower to its lowest setting automatically when I turn off the car. It certainly has plenty of go-go juice when applying the throttle, but it won't surprise a passenger like a Tesla would, not that I was expecting it to do that. I have the illuminated door crossover which is a nice touch. Is that stock, or did I accidentally include that in my order? I think I did, but who cares. Did I mention the B&W sound system. Wholly gangbusters batman!

Congrats on the T8 fun toy!
      The easy entree/exit option in system menu somewhere is to let air suspension lower down after parked and car is turned off.
      You need to give it 2 seconds before opening the door though.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Congrats on the T8 fun toy!
      The easy entree/exit option in system menu somewhere is to let air suspension lower down after parked and car is turned off.
      You need to give it 2 seconds before opening the door though.
      Got it! I will check that out.

On a side note, I just made a short trip between my last post and now, and found out how the seat belts work! I almost got rear ended! I did not see the Ram pick up truck flying up behind me, but the car did and sucked me into the seat with the seat belt hard! That is when I saw in the rear view mirror that the truck was coming at me fast! He skidded around me and missed me thank god, but that was a shocking reminder how this car is designed to keep us safe. I don't have the car 24 hours yet!

Another question, my mpg continues to rise from 2mpg when I picked it up to now 32mpg and it continues to climb. I have 74 miles on it and 63 have been in electric so far. With that in mind, I assume the mpg will continue to rise and the range will eventually move out beyond 318 miles as it says on the car and the app. Am I correct? I have had the gas engine running for literally a 15 minutes during the 74 miles I have driven so far.

Got it! I will check that out.

On a side note, I just made a short trip between my last post and now, and found out how the seat belts work! I almost got rear ended! I did not see the Ram pick up truck flying up behind me, but the car did and sucked me into the seat with the seat belt hard! That is when I saw in the rear view mirror that the truck was coming at me fast! He skidded around me and missed me thank god, but that was a shocking reminder how this car is designed to keep us safe. I don't have the car 24 hours yet!

Another question, my mpg continues to rise from 2mpg when I picked it up to now 32mpg and it continues to climb. I have 74 miles on it and 63 have been in electric so far. With that in mind, I assume the mpg will continue to rise and the range will eventually move out beyond 318 miles as it says on the car and the app. Am I correct? I have had the gas engine running for literally a 15 minutes during the 74 miles I have driven so far.
      The range counter remains mostly unchanged if your ICE engine is not used. It decreases after ICE starts, and increases after you go on freeway.
      You will ignore it in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      The range counter remains mostly unchanged if your ICE engine is not used. It decreases after ICE starts, and increases after you go on freeway.
      You will ignore it in a month.
      Understood.

What could a check engine light be on for? I'm at 85 miles.

What could a check engine light be on for? I'm at 85 miles.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7517009
      IDK, but suspect your newer 2020 may have the same HW as mine that was delivered on 12/30, and perhaps the newer BECM update I received the day before my check lights began. IDK, but there is perhaps coincidence here. I have an appt scheduled for next Thursday to take my T8 in (first available when there is a loaner), to try and resolve the problem.

Suggest you
      1: Make an appt and to have your T8 diagnosed. They will find a problem or reset the check light as they did with mine. At least, you’ll add to the number of vehicles reporting similar things if your new vehicle is showing similar codes like mine did to help with resolution. Check with your Service Adivisor, but with a yellow (vs red) light, you’re probably OK to keep driving until you take it in.
      2: May want to start or add-on to other threads more specific to your situation as they may arise from here on out, vs this delivery thread (BTW, congrats!), as it’s off-topic for this subject, and you’ll get better input and perhaps find available data faster with a bit of initial searching, or appending to T8 threads on XC90 and XC60 more related to your area of interest or concern.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy that T8!
      Last edited by BertL; 02-14-2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Quick clarity and English!
      Bert

It is indeed a little annoying. I have a OBDII reader from my old car so I have some idea what kind of code it is.

I really think they should show the code in Car Status app, and some hint if it is serious issue or not.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast