My own experience programming a FOB for my 2008 C30
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

My own experience programming a FOB for my 2008 C30

I’m not the first one to buy a C30 with only one FOB or have lost one of the two FOBs that I think came with the vehicle. So like many I balked at the amounts the dealership or other authorized sellers wanted to charge. For the record about $380 was the cheapest option I had found.

So I bit the bullet, got a virgin FOB, purchased and downloaded VIDA from volvotechinfo.com, installed it on my Win10 laptop, and also purchased the “Master Key Application” once I got VIDA up a running. It’s a rather convoluted process with two separate accounts, one with volvotechinfo.com and one with the VIDA app. I would highly recommend slowly and carefully reading all the instructions and taking your time with the various steps.

At this point the cost were as follows: FOB - $90, VIDA for 3 days - $88.84 (it forced me to grab $11 worth of subscriptions) and the Master Key Application - $36.87.

It took a little while to get used to the VIDA interface, somewhat different than the 2014D I has used before, and it seems to bounce back and forth to the web to authenticate, confirm purchases, etc. Eventually I was at the screen to program the FOB and this is where I hope this long winded story will be useful to others. VIDA asked me to enter a 24-digit and an 8-digit code. My FOB, part no. 31252732, listed as the FOB for the 2008 C30, only had the 8-digit code. So what happened next, and I assume because I did not have a 24-digit code, the FOB was successfully programmed to start and drive the vehicle but none of the buttons work.

After researching the issue I have found the following: there’s another FOB, part number 31300258, which appears to have both the 24-digit and 8-digit code. Support at volvotechinfo.com did not seem to understand the issue, and defaulted to the FOB I just purchased being faulty. I changed the battery on the FOB and completed some basic troubleshooting they suggested but no change. In the end I believe that either the FOB part no. 31252732 is the wrong one for a 2008 C30 or that there’s an issue with the “VIDA/Master Key Application” which should be able to program the FOB for all functions with only the 8-digit codes. If anyone has any insights I would welcome them. If what I experienced is actually expected then make sure you get the right FOB, part no. 31300258.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You bought the fob for keyless cars but your car is not keyless.

I don't think I'm understanding. The FOB I got with the car and the one that partially works look identical. They also both have the slot for the emergency key and start the vehicle in the same manner. If the FOB I purchased (part no. 31252732) was for keyless car why can it be inserted in the ignition to start the car. I'm hopefully attaching a picture below. Old one on the left, new one on the right.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It doesn't look like the image uploaded, let me list the link...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AquEadRYTbVJib8v...I8tKg?e=ETh6yN

Yes, they look the same. Keyless cars have a dummy key that is in place of the key in the ignition switch. You can leave the key in your pocket. Walk up to the car and pull the handle and it unlocks. Hop in, turn the dummy key and it starts. The dummy key can be removed and the regular key can still be used.

Non-keyless cars, like yours, require the key to be inserted to be read and allow the car to start.

So I did not get a FOB for a keyless car as you mentioned earlier. The new FOB, that won't open the door, etc. can be inserted in the ignition and starts the car.

The fobs look identical. The part numbers you provided show you bought a keyless fob first. Your car is not keyless.

Sorry I'm just being hard headed or not following. The part number is listed for 2008 Volvo C30 as "Remote Transmitter Key (w/ Keyless Entry)". This is the same description as part no. 31300258. I do have keyless entry on the 08 C30 with the original FOB. I do not have keyless ignition though. Yet this new FOB, that won't open/close remotely does function as a key to start the car.

If this was truly a keyless FOB then I would expect the opposite of what happened. I should be able to open/close the vehicle remotely but not start it and not be able to insert it in the ignition.

You are confusing keyless entry and keyless ignition (or "keyless vehicle").

The first number you ordered was for a keyless vehicle. The second number is for a non-keyless vehicle.

Your vehicle is non-keyless.

The first key is wrong.

Don't know how else to break it down.

Ok, so in the US market there is a 2008 version of the C30 that is a keyless vehicle?

Yes, I believe it was available in the US for MY2008

Keyless is an unfortunate choice of name for this feature. Quite often you'll see any remote described as keyless... you push a button on the fob to lock/unlock... but the true "keyless" in Volvospeak means the car has sensors in the door handles and elsewhere... if you have a remote in your pocket or elsewhere about your person the door will unlock when you grab the handle and the car will start when you push a button or turn the switch

For a truly infuriating life you need to have one car that is true keyless and another that isn't. My S60 is keyless. I've lost count of the number of times I have jarred my wrist trying to open the door of my C70, or got sat in the C70 looking for a button to push then realizing I have to get out again to retrieve the key from the depths of my jeans pocket
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Ok, thanks for your patience. So back to the initial post, if you've been reading this and were in my predicament, get the right FOB.

You can check in Vida which is the correct fob for your car. There are at least half a dozen different fobs for keyless entry or not, and different RF frequencies for different countries. The fobs all look the same.

Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and loaded up VIDA but it ended up listing both part numbers.

I believe the feature/marketing term that Volvo uses is "keyless drive". Two of my cars have this, the S40 does not ... I have to put the key in the ignition. The biggest clue I use when when looking at P1 cars for sale (C30/70/S40/V50) is the dummy key as already mentioned and also the rubber push buttons on the outside door handles that allow you lock/unlock the doors when you have the "keyless drive" fob nearby (like really nearby, in your hand or pocket).
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis - wifemobile
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio/Nav, Climate, Blis - my dd
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Package, E46 bixenon retro - garage queen
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate - son
      2004 S80 2.5T Pearl White/Sand, - daughter
      Previous: 2005 S60 T5, 1998 V70 T5, 1996 854 Platinum

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements