Intermittent Low Battery Warning - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      It seems, from reading the comments above, that later model Volvos have more electric accessories than my car does. It seems that the main battery is being partially discharged, and operated in this condition for weeks or months.
      No.

The later cars have a special sensor on the battery and a set of special algorithms in the Central Electronic Module that is supposed to "intelligently" monitor battery age, temperature, current draw, and voltage and then be able to shut down non-critical systems before the battery is discharged too far.

The issue is not that more electronics are draining the battery. The issue is that, when the battery is replaced few shops (and fewer owners) know that they need to reset the battery age through VIDA. If the car thinks the battery is old, it will begin shutting down ancillary systems sooner because it believes the battery is old and cannot tolerate the same amount of discharge that a newer battery could. Basically, the car's "intelligent" battery controls are more protective of what it believes to be older batteries so people well get the "low voltage" warning earlier if the system thinks the battery is old than they will if the system knows that the battery is new.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

so what happens if i have an older battery that i just recharged and then reset the logic ?..what would be wrong in doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by jlh3rd View Post
      so what happens if i have an older battery that i just recharged and then reset the logic ?..what would be wrong in doing that?
      The system will charge it sub-optimally. That's about it.

There will not be any catastrophic problem; at most you slightly increase the risk of having a completely dead battery from the system failing to shut off non-critical electronics soon enough in a situation where the car is sitting for a long time.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

thanks...

I replaced the battery and did the button reset on the '15.5 XC60 last month and it worked. I tried it on the '10 S80 and it didn't work. The S80 doesn't have the harness strap connections between the battery poles like the XC60. There's a pic of the harness differences here on the forum somewhere. Basically, no strap no BMS and no need for reset the way I understand it. I have not checked the XC60 battery in Vida yet but will soon since I need to reset the nagging service required message.
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis - wifemobile
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio/Nav, Climate, Blis - my dd
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Package, E46 bixenon retro - garage queen
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate - son
      Previous: '05 S60 T5, '04 S80 2.5T, '98 V70 T5, '96 854 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      I replaced the battery and did the button reset on the '15.5 XC60 last month and it worked. I tried it on the '10 S80 and it didn't work. The S80 doesn't have the harness strap connections between the battery poles like the XC60. There's a pic of the harness differences here on the forum somewhere. Basically, no strap no BMS and no need for reset the way I understand it. I have not checked the XC60 battery in Vida yet but will soon since I need to reset the nagging service required message.
      Awesome. Please come back and post what you found after you check to make sure the button trick actually reset the BMS date counter.

Was this trick posted on a different subforum a while ago? Most of us in this subforum didn't know about until about a week ago (or if they did, they never discussed it in any of the previous threads about resetting the BMS).
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      We know the service light one - use it all the time. I'm a little skeptical of the BMS one.
      What is the service light one?

Thanks
      2015.5 S60 T5, color: Seashell. Our first Volvo. So far a good experience. 0% financing is what got us in the door. Features sealed the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by EricJRW View Post

Thanks
      You'd have to google it, I don't recall it off the top of my head but it works.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by EricJRW View Post

Thanks
      I think this refers to the service reminder message that comes up in the info panel when the car thinks it needs routine maintenance such as an oil change.

This thread contains info about how to reset that "Schedule Service Soon" reminder: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?227840

On our '12 S60 T5 the reset process works the same whether the trip odometer is set to display T1 or T2.
      2012 S60 T5

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Was this trick posted on a different subforum a while ago? Most of us in this subforum didn't know about until about a week ago (or if they did, they never discussed it in any of the previous threads about resetting the BMS).
      Yes, here at post #75 https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...olvo-batteries

Also battery harness pics BMS vs non-BMS post #13 https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...7650-BMS-reset
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Package, E46 bixenon retro - garage queen

I was getting the low battery warning some mornings and I took the 2018 S60 Inscription Plat in - battery was bad. As well, although I hadn't actually noticed it, the Start/Stop function had not been working. Apparently when the battery is low Start/Stop will disable. They replaced a cell of the battery under warranty and reset the system. Now the Start/Stop function shows as UNAVAILABLE but I understand that after I drive it a few more times the Start/Stop will start working again.
      Last edited by cromeyellow; 01-29-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cromeyellow View Post
      I was getting the low battery warning some mornings and I took the 2018 S60 Inscription Plat in - battery was bad. As well, although I hadn't actually noticed it, the Start/Stop function had not been working. Apparently when the battery is low Start/Stop will disable. They replaced a cell of the battery under warranty and reset the system. Now the Start/Stop function shows as UNAVAILABLE but I understand that after I drive it a few more times the Start/Stop will start working again.
      ?...replaced a cell?....never heard of that. What battery maker makes a 12v car battery with replaceable cells?

Quote Originally Posted by jlh3rd View Post
      ?...replaced a cell?....never heard of that. What battery maker makes a 12v car battery with replaceable cells?
      I'm thinking the service writer probably said something like, "The battery had a bad cell, so we replaced it."

"it" being the battery, not the cell.

Quote Originally Posted by budleach View Post
      I'm thinking the service writer probably said something like, "The battery had a bad cell, so we replaced it."

"it" being the battery, not the cell.
      I'm sure, and figured that, but I have to go by what the OP said before I say he misunderstood.

Yes, here at post #75 https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...olvo-batteries

Also battery harness pics BMS vs non-BMS post #13 https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...7650-BMS-reset
      Thank you for linking to this thread. It has a lot of useful information. It looks like I can check this in the Car Scanner App (didn't know about that) without VIDA, so I think I will get a battery charger and try this sometime right before bed so I can make sure the car goes into sleep mode right after doing it.

BMS reset process from VIDA with Sleep mode instructions - https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7206503
      youtube video of someone doing the trick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9z5m78Szw

T
      youtube video of someone doing the trick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9z5m78Szw
      Looks like it is confirmed via those screenshots. Nice!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Odd turn of events...

I pulled up Car Scanner on my way home from work yesterday and found that my BMS was last reset 399 days ago. 399 days ago is December 27, 2018. I replaced the factory battery 6 months ago. That was the only time I did anything to the battery. However, Christmas 2018 I was knee deep in my oil consumption saga.

Here's my hypothesis:
      I checked my google maps history* and I did not go to the Volvo dealer on 12/27/2018. I did go to the dealer on 12/21/2018, however. I don't have any paperwork from that trip, but I remember several trips during my oil consumption saga where they just noted my oil was low and topped me off. I do remember one trip where they specifically said they needed to "reset the computer that checks the oil level." They did it for free and didn't give me any paperwork. That very well could have been this trip and a byproduct of that reset could have been that the BMS was reset as well. But that doesn't explain why the dates don't line up. My hypothesis on that is when my engine was torn down and replaced in March 2019, maybe the battery was disconnected for 6 days and the counter didn't advance during those days.

In conclusion, I have a battery that is 6 months old, that my car currently thinks is 13 months old. If I reset the BMS now, the car would think it's brand new. So either way, it will be off by 6 or 7 months. This is almost the literal case of "6 of one, half dozen of the other." Since everything on my car currently works, I'm not going to mess with it. But it's nice to know that I could and now everyone can replace their own batteries and reset their own BMS without the dealer or VIDA. Hooray!

* I'm probably dumb for allowing google to track my phone everywhere it goes, but at least in this case it was helpful.
      Last edited by meade18; 01-31-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Very interesting. Good detective work
      Did you end up trying that trick to reset the BMS using the fog light and hazard light switches?
      If you did, this tells us it did not work.
      Also, which scanner are you using?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

If I reset the BMS now, the car would think it's brand new. So either way, it will be off by 6 or 7 months. This is almost the literal case of "6 of one, half dozen of the other." Since everything on my car currently works, I'm not going to mess with it.
      That's the conservative route and it's what I'd go with on my own car. It just means the car will be a little more protective of the battery than it would be if you had reset the counter on the exact battery change date, which shouldn't really have any measurable consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      Very interesting. Good detective work
      Did you end up trying that trick to reset the BMS using the fog light and hazard light switches?
      If you did, this tells us it did not work.
      Also, which scanner are you using?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      Once I checked the scanner and saw that my time since BMS reset was 399 days instead of ~1,800 days, I did not perform the reset, so I cannot personally confirm that it works.

I have this https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Bluet...dp/B011NSX27A/ and use it with this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...anner&hl=en_US

I wish someone had told me about how much this $11 combo could do sooner. Back during my oil consumption saga, I wanted to know how much oil I was actually burning, but my drive-e doesn't have a dipstick. This app is able to get the reading that VIDA gets with the oil level measured in mm.

Have not gotten the warning since I did the reset. I think it works!
      2017 S90 T5 Momentum - Magic Blue over Amber (Wife's)
      2015 V60 T6 R-Design Polestar - Savile Grey Metallic over Nubuck (Mine)

After about a year of occasional "low battery" warnings and "system will shut down in two minutes" warnings when I was listening to the radio, I replaced the original battery with an Energizer H6 AGM battery from Costco today. My V60 was manufactured in February 2014 and I didn't buy it until November 2015 so it was sitting around or driving short test drive trips for awhile which I think reduced battery life. In this mild climate, getting eight years or more is not unusual. The Costco warranty provides a full refund of purchase price if it fails 0-60 months - 50% for 61-80 months - and 25% for 81-100 months so I'm hoping for many good years.

I did the "six push three push" button trick and saw the battery icon flash so I think I've successfully reset the BSM. The car is locked now and will sit for a few hours while the rest of the process continues.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD Sport Suspension, ipd rear sway bar, 19 inch Bor wheels, Polestar Optimization, Premium Plus, Silver
      Previous: 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon, 1989 MX-6 GT 4WS, 1979 GS-1000E

I had this warning for months and was told by an Indie that the alternator wasn't charging properly and I needed a new (refurb) one at $600. I took it to a different Indie and he deleted the code and it has been 2 months and the warning has not come back.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design - Rebel Blue - Polestar Tune - Polestar Performance Chassis - Polestar Performance Cat Back Exhaust
      2014 XC90 3.2 R-Design - Black Saphire

Quote Originally Posted by JMarkias View Post
      After about a year of occasional "low battery" warnings and "system will shut down in two minutes" warnings when I was listening to the radio, I replaced the original battery with an Energizer H6 AGM battery from Costco today. My V60 was manufactured in February 2014 and I didn't buy it until November 2015 so it was sitting around or driving short test drive trips for awhile which I think reduced battery life. In this mild climate, getting eight years or more is not unusual. The Costco warranty provides a full refund of purchase price if it fails 0-60 months - 50% for 61-80 months - and 25% for 81-100 months so I'm hoping for many good years.

I did the "six push three push" button trick and saw the battery icon flash so I think I've successfully reset the BSM. The car is locked now and will sit for a few hours while the rest of the process continues.
      The battery life on your car wasn't reduced. There are a ton of us with 2015s that have had to replace our batteries around 4 years of ownership. These batteries don't seem to last much beyond that.

The battery life on your car wasn't reduced. There are a ton of us with 2015s that have had to replace our batteries around 4 years of ownership. These batteries don't seem to last much beyond that.
      Yes, can vouch for this. My S60 battery was replaced prior to sale to me at 5 years. I think all the parasitic electronics drain does them in quicker.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by thezoneS60 View Post
      I had this warning for months and was told by an Indie that the alternator wasn't charging properly and I needed a new (refurb) one at $600. I took it to a different Indie and he deleted the code and it has been 2 months and the warning has not come back.
      I was told the same thing when I took my XC60 back to the dealer for a "Low Battery" warning after they'd just changed it. Had to take it back a second time after I found from my scanner phone app that the BMS had not been reset. This was after specifically mentioning the BMS reset on the first two visits.
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. Koni Special Active struts/shocks, IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2019 Merc AMG E53 Cpe, 1988 Merc 560SL, 1969 MGB GT, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD & 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe

Can't believe it's been this long since I said I was going to check my battery in VIDA but I finally got around to it and it said 148 days battery operation, so the button tricked worked.

Can't believe it's been this long since I said I was going to check my battery in VIDA but I finally got around to it and it said 148 days battery operation, so the button tricked worked.
      Thanks. That's good to know. I think I successfully reset BMS using the button trick too because I've not had the "system will shut down in 2 minutes" warning since I replaced the battery a week ago. I might go looking for someone local with VIDA just to prove it worked after the virus-related social distancing is over.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD Sport Suspension, ipd rear sway bar, 19 inch Bor wheels, Polestar Optimization, Premium Plus, Silver

Quote Originally Posted by JMarkias View Post
      Thanks. That's good to know. I think I successfully reset BMS using the button trick too because I've not had the "system will shut down in 2 minutes" warning since I replaced the battery a week ago. I might go looking for someone local with VIDA just to prove it worked after the virus-related social distancing is over.
      You don't need VIDA. If you have an android phone, get one of these https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Bluet...dp/B011NSX27A/ and download this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...anner&hl=en_US

You don't need VIDA. If you have an android phone, get one of these https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Bluet...dp/B011NSX27A/ and download this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...anner&hl=en_US
      Car Scanner works with an iPhone, too: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/car-sc...2/id1259933623
      However, the iOS version requires an ELM37 Bluetooth 4.0, like Viecar 4 or Vgate Pro BT 4.0, etc.

The Veepeak device was delivered today so I downloaded the Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app and it said the BSM was reset 11 days ago. No more guessing about the battery reset and lots of interesting sensor data to learn about eventually. Thanks!

Cant get this reset to work for my 2015.5 S60

Original battery, car has 40K miles- has never had a problem starting even during this winter.
      Last edited by SlickWilly; 06-08-2020 at 01:00 PM.
      2020 XC90 MOM
      2015.5 S60

Quote Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
      Cant get this reset to work for my 2015.5 S60

Original battery, car has 40K miles- has never had a problem starting even during this winter.
      Did you replace the battery yet? It won't clear the message if your battery is actually low!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

The reset is intended to tell the charging system that you have a new battery that can safely discharge deeper than an old one. If you do the reset with an old battery installed there's a risk that sitting with the motor off and the radio on will discharge the old battery so much that there's not enough power left to start the engine.

Why do you want to do the reset?

When my battery failed last year, the only warning I got was that the Start/Stop system would quit working sometimes due to low battery voltage. The car started just fine until one day it wouldn't start after buying gas. A new battery solved both problems.
      Current Volvo: 2016 S60 T5 Inscription w/Platinum package
      Previous Volvos: 1993 850 GLT (sold in 2016), 1984 240 DL Diesel (sold in 1993)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast