Is it the driveshaft?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Is it the driveshaft?

Hi All!

I'm quite new to maintaining the car myself, in this case a C30 T5. The problem is a vibration when i accelerate the car.

Vibration is stronger in 2nd gear when flooring it, and when i step on the gas on 4th or 5th it feels funny, not a strong vibration but seems as not all of the power is being delivered.

Ruled out:
      -Doesn't vibrate at cruise speed
      -Doesn't vibrate when i rev it up in neutral (engine mount)

Any opinions / ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have the same symptoms but with an automatic (08 C30 2.0). From what I've read online it's the lower engine (torque) mount and folks have recommended using the Ford Focus mount (Ford part no. CM5Z6068A). Mine is on its way and I can follow up once I've installed it. Replacement looks pretty easy from the videos I've seen online.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Sw...ature=youtu.be

could be a couple different things
      you can change the motor mounts yourself but if it still shakes you should let a mechanic take a look at it
      you have not done any work on the car recently like changing the axle drive shafts or taking off the engine intake?
      you have not changed or balanced any wheels or tires or hit a street curb?
      2008 Volvo C30 R-design red manual

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Check your axles, if they are not OEM volvo, then they are junk. If OEM volvo and have torn inner boots (most common issue) then send them off to CVJ axles in Denver for a rebuild ($150-175 shipped). OR buy new OEM ones from FCPEURO.com and get a lifetime warranty.

Also, i had a bad vibration in 1st and 2nd gear when applying alot of (torque) gas pedal, and it was a bad passenger side motor mount.

Sorry it took this long but I finally worked through the progression of replacing different parts and Iíll describe each outcome. I approach my issue by replacing the cheapest part first, so I started with the lower engine mount, using the Ford one which I got online for about $75. The replacement was easy and pretty straight forward. The old mount didnít appear damaged or worn out. I noticed a slight improvement but I was still getting the vibration. The other odd piece was that after a few days the vibration seemed to have returned to its previous levels. As Iím only able to work on the car on the weekend, I then went on to the driverís side mount and then the passenger side mount each subsequent weekend. The parts were about $100 each shipped. All the parts I ordered online from dealerships, generally on Sundays after changing the previous part and noticing that problem persisted. All the mount replacements had very similar outcomes. An initial, marginal improvement and then after a few days back to the old vibration levels.

I had intentionally left the axles last given everyoneís recommendation of getting Volvos, GKN etc. Then I ran into posts from one of the members, T501. His experience about the original axle causing the vibration at around 30k mirrored mine. My C30 just got to 30k. He recommended Cardone axles, which are new (the Select brand). I had great luck with those with my previous 4 Acura Legends so given the price difference I decided to give them a try.

Replaced both axles for $150 and about 1 Ĺ hours of my time yesterday and the vibrations are finally gone. Now hopefully it wonít be one of those previous situations where Iím back where I started in a few days but there is now no vibration during the acceleration. Whether the Cardone axles will last or not Iíll see and report back, but for $150 it was worth a shot, especially since my original Volvo axles only made it to 30k miles.

Awaiting Approval

axles

Quote Originally Posted by aseaz404 View Post
      Sorry it took this long but I finally worked through the progression of replacing different parts and Iíll describe each outcome. I approach my issue by replacing the cheapest part first, so I started with the lower engine mount, using the Ford one which I got online for about $75. The replacement was easy and pretty straight forward. The old mount didnít appear damaged or worn out. I noticed a slight improvement but I was still getting the vibration. The other odd piece was that after a few days the vibration seemed to have returned to its previous levels. As Iím only able to work on the car on the weekend, I then went on to the driverís side mount and then the passenger side mount each subsequent weekend. The parts were about $100 each shipped. All the parts I ordered online from dealerships, generally on Sundays after changing the previous part and noticing that problem persisted. All the mount replacements had very similar outcomes. An initial, marginal improvement and then after a few days back to the old vibration levels.

I had intentionally left the axles last given everyoneís recommendation of getting Volvos, GKN etc. Then I ran into posts from one of the members, T501. His experience about the original axle causing the vibration at around 30k mirrored mine. My C30 just got to 30k. He recommended Cardone axles, which are new (the Select brand). I had great luck with those with my previous 4 Acura Legends so given the price difference I decided to give them a try.

Replaced both axles for $150 and about 1 Ĺ hours of my time yesterday and the vibrations are finally gone. Now hopefully it wonít be one of those previous situations where Iím back where I started in a few days but there is now no vibration during the acceleration. Whether the Cardone axles will last or not Iíll see and report back, but for $150 it was worth a shot, especially since my original Volvo axles only made it to 30k miles.

Congrats! I also have the annoying vibration. Where did you get the axels? Seems cheap. Did you follow the youtube video on the install?

Awaiting Approval

Driveshafts

Do you mind if i ask where you bought your driveshafts? Very inexpensive.

The vibration and CV failure will be back sooner than Later. With Volvo you can only use OEM (Volvo rebuild or GKN). BTW - automatic transmission axles are only $270ea. Eeuroparts.com and FCPEUro.com both offer lifetime warranties!!

Quote Originally Posted by manydubs View Post
      The vibration and CV failure will be back sooner than Later. With Volvo you can only use OEM (Volvo rebuild or GKN). BTW - automatic transmission axles are only $270ea. Eeuroparts.com and FCPEUro.com both offer lifetime warranties!!
      Quite the contrary to my experience. Volvo OEM axles have never lasted for me. I would argue they are in fact overpriced pieces of junk. The original axles that come on the car from the factory are alright as they'll last around 90k miles (that's when my passenger side axle failed) but when you buy a genuine Volvo replacement axle from a Volvo dealer, you're not getting a new axle like you do when you buy the car new, you're getting a re-built axle. I've never gotten more than 30k miles out of those. The vibrations start at around 25k miles and I end up replacing them at 30k miles. At about $600 a pop, that's pretty disappointing.

After my 3rd Volvo passenger side axle failed, I replaced both of my cv axles on my S60 about 3.5 years ago with Cardone Select axles. Here I am now with about 40k miles on them and not one issue, vibration or otherwise. So far the "cheap" Cardone Select axles are outlasting and outperforming every Volvo axle I've had.

I'm glad OP saw my posts and saved himself a bundle of money.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Thanks T501, I was just about to link some of your posts with the same info.

Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      Quite the contrary to my experience. Volvo OEM axles have never lasted for me. I would argue they are in fact overpriced pieces of junk. The original axles that come on the car from the factory are alright as they'll last around 90k miles (that's when my passenger side axle failed) but when you buy a genuine Volvo replacement axle from a Volvo dealer, you're not getting a new axle like you do when you buy the car new, you're getting a re-built axle. I've never gotten more than 30k miles out of those. The vibrations start at around 25k miles and I end up replacing them at 30k miles. At about $600 a pop, that's pretty disappointing.

After my 3rd Volvo passenger side axle failed, I replaced both of my cv axles on my S60 about 3.5 years ago with Cardone Select axles. Here I am now with about 40k miles on them and not one issue, vibration or otherwise. So far the "cheap" Cardone Select axles are outlasting and outperforming every Volvo axle I've had.

I'm glad OP saw my posts and saved himself a bundle of money.

Where do you buy these Cardone Select axles? Do you have a link please?

Is your car automatic or manual transmission?

Lowered or stock height?
      Last edited by manydubs; Yesterday at 11:16 AM.

Auto, stock height. You can get them from several outlets (Amazon, etc.). Search for Cardone Select 66-9351 (passenger) and 66-9350 (driver) for the C30.

Auto, stock height. You can get them from several outlets (Amazon, etc.). Search for Cardone Select 66-9351 (passenger) and 66-9350 (driver) for the C30.
      Sweet, good to know. I have had exactly the opposite experience with the 4 volvos I have owned. Anything aftermarket was garbage. However, I did not try Cardone.

As T501 points out Cardone sells new (branded as Select) and reman axles. I always used the new ones on my Acuras with great results.

I think the main issue with most aftermarket axles are that they are remanufactured. The same is true for Volvo axles though. Cardone Select are brand new.

I got mine at at JC Whitney, online.

My car is lowered now but two of the three failures were before I lowered the car.
      Last edited by T501; Today at 12:55 AM.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Alternative is to have your OEM original axles rebuilt by CVJ axles in Denver for $125/each. I trust the OEM CV joints and balancing of factory parts and reputable re builders like CVJ.

I am skeptical of any aftermarket axles after experiencing the opposite as you have with them on numerous occasions.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements