Drive Mode Steering Setting (Low/Normal/High)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Drive Mode Steering Setting (Low/Normal/High)

Newbie question here...

The steering feel of the XC60 feels rather soft and spongy at normal driving speeds. I can't seem to figure out how to firm up the wheel when at speed so steering input doesn't feel vague/disconnected from the front wheels actually turning. I understand why people like super light steering in parking lots or backing out of a garage. I'm trying to increase the weight of the wheel once the car is at speed and driving down a highway or roadway where the driver would want steering input that is more confident/direct.

The Manual says there is a user-customization option under Drive Mode >> Steering setting. Unfortunately things feel the same at normal driving speeds no matter if I choose Low, Normal, or High.

Does anyone know if [High] is actually supposed to firm up the wheel? FWIW I have a T5 FWD Inscription with 20" wheels.

https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/supp...steering-force

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Did you select INDIVIDUAL drive mode? It's necessary every time you operate the vehicle.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Yeah, I checked the box and told it to pair settings to my Key. And I've hit that floppy-disk icon to save settings after configuring things.

I guess I can't even tell if "high Steering" means the driver needs high steering effort... or if it means the power steering pump is on high (thereby minimizing the driver's steering effort). This type of thing is the annoying part of homologating settings for a global product haha.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Holeydonut View Post
      Yeah, I checked the box and told it to pair settings to my Key. And I've hit that floppy-disk icon to save settings after configuring things.
      See my original answer. You can't save drive mode selection.

HIGH - high steering effort
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

The light steering is my only complaint about the XC60. And I also can’t feel any discernible difference between the levels. If anyone finds a fix, weigh in!

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      See my original answer. You can't save drive mode selection.

HIGH - high steering effort
      Lol what... you have to navigate to that setting screen and check a box each time even if it's the same profile?

Newbie question here...

The steering feel of the XC60 feels rather soft and spongy at normal driving speeds.
      Do you have 2018 or 2019/2020? When I had 2018, steering was very very light on all the settings. In 2019/2020, there's a very noticeable difference in normal/high settings.

Lol what... you have to navigate to that setting screen and check a box each time even if it's the same profile?
      No, once you set an individual mode you just have to select "Individual" every time.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

I can feel a difference between the three levels, but it's not as big of a difference as I would like. I wish there was a larger difference (ability to make it heavier) and that you could set the Individual drive mode as the default for the key fob.

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      I can feel a difference between the three levels, but it's not as big of a difference as I would like. I wish there was a larger difference (ability to make it heavier) and that you could set the Individual drive mode as the default for the key fob.
      That would be great indeed, but probably impossible due to the regulations and laws, probably due to emission calculations. The law kinda requires the car to start in "forced preferences"-mode (start/stop active in non-hybrids and electric mode only activated in hybrids).

Quote Originally Posted by t-man View Post
      That would be great indeed, but probably impossible due to the regulations and laws, probably due to emission calculations. The law kinda requires the car to start in "forced preferences"-mode (start/stop active in non-hybrids and electric mode only activated in hybrids).
      In 2019+ models the vehicle will remember your start/stop preference... So you can permanently disable it, if you prefer. I really don't see how my preference for heavier steering affects emissions.

Holy smokes, I didn't even know this rolley-wheel-thingamabob-button existed. No wonder the initial responses in this thread made no sense to me. I was thinking... I haven't drank any booze yet today; why do I feel so stupid? The stupid screen shows Individual mode and I put the friggin check box!!!!

So, the driver needs to activate the ability to customize their "individual mode" with the touch screen first.

And then, the driver has to roll the wheel to select the "individual mode" after saving their settings.

And the driver has to roll the wheel to "individual mode" every single time they drive the car.

So... the wife has noticed the wheel is firmer (yay). Wife also thinks it's stupid to have to roll the wheel each time she drives the car to activate her individual Drive Mode settings that were tied to her key.

PS, no - I wasn't really trained on how this car works. I spent 7 hours at the dealership in a very crappy sales process. And everyone just left to go home because car buying is a terrible experience that is all suffering.

PS, no - I wasn't really trained on how this car works. I spent 7 hours at the dealership in a very crappy sales process.
      The owners manual is quite informative. Give it a read or search the forum for common questions.

The owners manual is quite informative. Give it a read or search the forum for common questions.
      I was reading the manual... but it didn't really click that tapping the screen does nothing unless you roll the wheel.

The manual sort of assumed drivers knew to manually select drive modes with the rolley wheel. I was assuming all selections were done via the touchscreen since it's so big and in your face haha.

PS, the manual also doesn't help me understand why ...
      The only way to auto-motion open the rear liftgate is by kicking my bumper or tire (yes, I know the sensor is on the left because of the cool chrome bits).
      The ignition and radio automatically shuts off every time I open the driver door (an automation that I don't want).
      The talkey-button-on the steering wheel does absolutely nothing.
      The driver-side heated seats come on automatically even though I didn't customize it that way. Of all the things to automatically do - why this feature? Why not the individual drive mode? haha
      Last edited by Holeydonut; 01-22-2020 at 01:37 PM.

I was reading the manual... but it didn't really click that tapping the screen does nothing unless you roll the wheel.

The manual sort of assumed drivers knew to manually select drive modes with the rolley wheel. I was assuming all selections were done via the touchscreen since it's so big and in your face haha.

1. PS, the manual also doesn't help me understand why ...
      2. The only way to auto-motion open the rear liftgate is by kicking my bumper or tire (yes, I know the sensor is on the left because of the cool chrome bits).
      3. The ignition and radio automatically shuts off every time I open the driver door (an automation that I don't want).
      4. The talkey-button-on the steering wheel does absolutely nothing.
      5. The driver-side heated seats come on every single time I get in the car.
      Wow, grumpy aren't we?

1. That's not a manual's problem...
      2. There are threads on this, but I'll summarize: kick between a "V" and an "O" and it'll work 100% of the time
      3. As opposed to staying on and draining the battery? I'm not sure what you're complaining about here. When the engine is off, and you open the door, it's only logical that everything shuts off
      4. Um...yes it does, read the manual. And read a thread here
      5. It's because you saved it into your profile that way. Again, read the manual.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      Wow, grumpy aren't we?

1. That's not a manual's problem...
      2. There are threads on this, but I'll summarize: kick between a "V" and an "O" and it'll work 100% of the time
      3. As opposed to staying on and draining the battery? I'm not sure what you're complaining about here. When the engine is off, and you open the door, it's only logical that everything shuts off
      4. Um...yes it does, read the manual. And read a thread here
      5. It's because you saved it into your profile that way. Again, read the manual.
      I'm more annoyed at the blanket premise that RTFM solves all problems.

I have the silly chrome bits so the kick-sensor gets moved behind the driver side rear tire. They even put a funny arrow decal pointing down there to remind operators of the new location. But no amount of swinging at that part of the bumper does anything. I have to physically hit the tire or the bumper to get the automatic lift-gate to open. I was told this is design intent?

I can't be the only person who has to actually get out of their car exit a parking area gate/door. Plus sometimes drivers just want to get out of a car and not have everything turn off. I can't find anything in the manual about turning off this automation. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I like having an [Accessory] option so the car wouldn't just turn off when the door was open. Searching for [Acc] or [Accessory] in the manual yields nothing.

Those commands don't work for me. Pushing the talkey button on my car is like pushing thin air. Literally nothing happens. I hear no bing/bongs and no voice command does anything.

I guess whoever test drove the car saved some settings. Which is cool I guess. I feel like Volvo dealers should reset things before final delivery; but whatever.

I have the silly chrome bits so the kick-sensor gets moved behind the driver side rear tire. They even put a funny arrow decal pointing down there to remind operators of the new location. But no amount of swinging at that part of the bumper does anything. I have to physically hit the tire or the bumper to get the automatic lift-gate to open. I was told this is design intent?
      Don't swing, just kick: read more here

I can't be the only person who has to actually get out of their car exit a parking area gate/door. Plus sometimes drivers just want to get out of a car and not have everything turn off. I can't find anything in the manual about turning off this automation. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I like having an [Accessory] option so the car wouldn't just turn off when the door was open. Searching for [Acc] or [Accessory] in the manual yields nothing.
      I'd say RTFM, but you're raging here at this point. But I'll try again to point out the things that would be solved by RTFM:
      1. If you don't turn off the ignition, and open the door - nothings shuts off
      2. There is an Accessory option. Turn the knob without your foot on the break.

Those commands don't work for me. Pushing the talkey button on my car is like pushing thin air. Literally nothing happens. I hear no bing/bongs and no voice command does anything.
      RFTM
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      Don't swing, just kick: read more here

I'd say RTFM, but you're raging here at this point. But I'll try again to point out the things that would be solved by RTFM:
      1. If you don't turn off the ignition, and open the door - nothings shuts off
      2. There is an Accessory option. Turn the knob without your foot on the break.

RFTM
      I've been on that thread about the kick sensor... if it were working the way ya'll described I don't think I'd have an issue.

I'll try the thing you said about turning the knob without my foot on the brake to engage Accessory mode. I didn't try that combination. I still don't see anything in the online manual about this though.
      Last edited by Holeydonut; 01-22-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Volvo refers to the ignition modes as 0, I, and II.

Page 416 of the manual (https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...US_TP25629.pdf) discusses Ignition Modes.

That's a problem. Have your dealer look at it.

Pushing the steering wheel "talk" button briefly should result in an audible alert and the vehicle will listen for a voice command.
      Holding the steering wheel for a couple seconds while CarPlay or AndroidAuto are connected should activate Siri/Google assistant.

I guess whoever test drove the car saved some settings. Which is cool I guess. I feel like Volvo dealers should reset things before final delivery; but whatever.
      That's bad on your dealer. My dealer did a full reset on the vehicle, created profiles for my wife and I and assigned keys to each, and updated all the software to the latest version.

That's bad on your dealer.
      FWIW, I'm not surprised that the dealer did this. Unfortunately most of Volvo's dealer personnel are completely clueless about their product.
      I'll never forget walking into a dealership many years ago and asking:
      "I'd like to test drive an S60 Cross Country" only to be told "Volvo doesn't make a model like that".
      The kicker? - It was displayed on their showroom floor.

So yes, people on this forum collectively know a lot more than all of the Volvo dealer employees.

To the OP:
      Feel free to keep asking questions.
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Page 416 of the manual (https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...US_TP25629.pdf) discusses Ignition Modes.

That's a problem. Have your dealer look at it.

Pushing the steering wheel "talk" button briefly should result in an audible alert and the vehicle will listen for a voice command.
      Holding the steering wheel for a couple seconds while CarPlay or AndroidAuto are connected should activate Siri/Google assistant.

That's bad on your dealer. My dealer did a full reset on the vehicle, created profiles for my wife and I and assigned keys to each, and updated all the software to the latest version.

My dude (or dudette), thank you so much for sharing the full owners manual PDF. I was using that online search thing and it felt like it was missing a ton of stuff. Thanks for sharing this link!

My dude (or dudette), thank you so much for sharing the full owners manual PDF. I was using that online search thing and it felt like it was missing a ton of stuff. Thanks for sharing this link!
      WOW
      It's that simple

https://www.volvocars.com/us

A lot of different information

Last edited by BigBang; 01-22-2020 at 02:53 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

If you have an iPhone (not sure about Android) there's a Volvo Manual App that can download whatever manual you want for you.

Edit: The Owner's Manual can be downloaded as a mobile app from the App Store or GooglePlay. This QR code will take you directly to the app. You can also search for "Volvo manual" in the App Store or Google Play. The app contains videos and exterior/interior images of the vehicle. These images contain hotspots for various functions, components, etc., which lead directly to related information. The contents are searchable and the sections are designed to be easy to navigate.
      Last edited by stocis; 01-23-2020 at 04:43 AM.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

I'm not sure that Volvo Android app works (I'm talking about the manual download app not on call). . I tried it a few times and not much happened.

Besides, there are quite a few posters in this board that have forgotten more about the SPA vehicles than the mainsail errors will ever know.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

I feel like there's only so much a manual could ever really help with. My original post literally references pictures from Volvo.com and pages from Volvo's online searchable manual (the one my salesperson told me to read). While I understand the premise of "RTFM", that mentality is simply not very helpful.

It's 2020... every UI/UX person making consumer goods and services knows that the classic RTFM mentality results in a poor user experience. The mega PDF is somewhat useful if you're like @Bertl and want to know everything, but I'd wager the average person isn't like Bertl.

If Volvo really wants new car owners to RTFM or GTFO, they're going to have customers that dislike their luxury product. I don't like having to actively kick the bumper of my new car to open the touchless rear lift gate that their marketing department brags as a great product feature. If I kick but miss the the car, nothing happens. If I kick with more gusto and hit the car, the hatch opens. RTFM is supposed to fix this?

Blah blah I'm sure those refugees in Greece and people dying of Coronavirus don't care about the steering of my Volvo feeling vague and the dirt on my shoes from kicking my car.

It's 2020... every UI/UX person making consumer goods and services knows that the classic RTFM mentality results in a poor user experience. The mega PDF is somewhat useful if you're like @Bertl and want to know everything, but I'd wager the average person isn't like Bertl.
      I develop software and I'd argue most of the Sensus functionality is intuitive. There are functional gaps due to EPA certification (i.e., remember last drive mode), but Volvo didn't write a user manual and "quick guide" for you to ignore.

The printed quick guide (included with your XC60) explains drive modes in graphical detail...your response comes off as lazy and apathetic.

I develop software and I'd argue most of the Sensus functionality is intuitive. There are functional gaps due to EPA certification (i.e., remember last drive mode), but Volvo didn't write a user manual and "quick guide" for you to ignore.

The printed quick guide (included with your XC60) explains drive modes in graphical detail...your response comes off as lazy and apathetic.

Read my original post of this thread again. I literally reference pages of the manual with a link an screenshot from the manual. I am reading the manual the way the saleperson told me to read it. But what I found was that failing to search for the right keywords in the online search box resulted in me missing out on your intuitive information.

You can search about "steering" in Volvo's online manual, and be directed toward a Sensus option to customize it. But it doesn't say you have to then actually roll that wheel to activate the setting. It's great you know about that fancy rolley wheel. But I sure didn't know about it even after reading the manual because I never searched for info about the rolley wheel. I've never owned a car with a rolley drive mode wheel or ever thought to use a rolley wheel each time I entered the vehicle.

I recall getting a black booklet with information about my tires, the warranty, roadside assist, and some supplemental manual in my glovebox. I also have the Monroney label. If there's a must-read onboarding material in there, it would have helped if the person handing me the keys to the car also handed me the guide.

Being handed the keys to use a car by a live person seems like a great opportunity to help educate and customize the vehicle. Plus the car has a mammoth screen, it seems like a wonderful opportunity to do some user onboarding "quick guides" as well.

I also posted questions on this forum about why I have to physically kick my vehicle to operate one of it's touchless functions because I can't find anything in any of the manual explaining what is supposed normal. Nothing seems quick or guided with owning this car other than how the gas pedal and brake work.
      Last edited by Holeydonut; 01-24-2020 at 03:29 PM.

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements