This is stretch... VIDA/DICE unit available to borrow/use in Portland?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

This is stretch... VIDA/DICE unit available to borrow/use in Portland?

Unfortunately, I have a few bugs I need to work out for my 2007 V50, as the cold weather and rain seem to have triggered the SRS Airbag sensor, and my door locks won't work correctly. Alarm will activate but locking mechanism won't engage and physically lock the doors.

I just need to pinpoint if there is a specific frayed wire, bad ground, or just a routine cleaning of the passenger-side computer (CEM?).

EDIT: looks like my thermometer is also displaying some very off readings (-6* to 40's) and moving to a more "accurate" reading as I drive. Fuel gauge seems off as well, as I have put in ~60mi of driving and already well below half at reading the meter.

If anyone is available in the Portland OR area that has a working DICE/VIDA unit, it'd greatly appreciate a meetup as I have not yet purchased a unit.

If this is against forum rules, my apologies, I am just looking for a quick fix as I don't have garage/monitored parking in the NW streets and have some tools/spare jackets I keep in the car that I don't want stolen.

Thanks.
      Last edited by deeveeance; 01-21-2020 at 06:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The temp reading thing means the connections on the driver side door are probably corroded (common problem). Pull the plug on the front edge of the door, clean, deoxit, put some dielectric grease on there and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, the sensor is on the bottom of the driver's side mirror.

As for the other stuff... Too far away or I'd be glad to help.

Truth is, if you plan to keep the car for more than a year or so, the $90ish for a DICE unit is more than worth it.

Also (and most importantly): your screen name is awesome.
      Last edited by silent-circuit; 01-21-2020 at 07:04 PM.
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

Check easy stuff first. Check your battery. Check grounds you can easily see, like the ones on the strut towers and around the chassis.

Check the CEM. Does it look to have water damage or that? Unplug and reseat connections and do the same for fuses.

All those issues are probably related to one or two things.
      2005 S40 2.4i

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by silent-circuit View Post
      The temp reading thing means the connections on the driver side door are probably corroded (common problem). Pull the plug on the front edge of the door, clean, deoxit, put some dielectric grease on there and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, the sensor is on the bottom of the driver's side mirror.

As for the other stuff... Too far away or I'd be glad to help.

Truth is, if you plan to keep the car for more than a year or so, the $90ish for a DICE unit is more than worth it.

Also (and most importantly): your screen name is awesome.
      I'll double check that door connection, thanks for the tip and compliment! Any links or reputable places to get one from?

I'll definitely also do what mgm7890 posted as well, as it'll be my second time doing so and should definitely check for water damage.

Do you have a sunroof?
      2005 S40 2.4i

Quote Originally Posted by mgm7890 View Post
      Do you have a sunroof?
      I do! I am thinking the sunroof-leak fix is definitely something I should do now, even though I have not seen any pooled water.

Check along the floors and carpets. Also, the heater core is known to leak. Look about the CEM for leaking or drips.

To get Dice/VIDA just buy from a reputable place on eBay inside the USA and you'll be fine with anything. I recommend buying in the USA to help if you need to return or service it.
      2005 S40 2.4i

Check along the floors and carpets. Also, the heater core is known to leak. Look about the CEM for leaking or drips.

To get Dice/VIDA just buy from a reputable place on eBay inside the USA and you'll be fine with anything. I recommend buying in the USA to help if you need to return or service it.
      Good call, highly rated seller with over 500 units sold is from USA with fast/free shipping. I'll pick it up this Friday.

I'll just do a whole overview of the CEM area and make sure absolutely no moisture is getting through. I just picked up some contact cleaner and small brush set so that'll at least get me started on ruling out some kinks.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by deeveeance View Post
      Good call, highly rated seller with over 500 units sold is from USA with fast/free shipping. I'll pick it up this Friday.

I'll just do a whole overview of the CEM area and make sure absolutely no moisture is getting through. I just picked up some contact cleaner and small brush set so that'll at least get me started on ruling out some kinks.

Thanks!
      Nice! In the meantime, you say it won't lock. Can't you manually lock the car and use your key blade to enter?
      2005 S40 2.4i

Nice! In the meantime, you say it won't lock. Can't you manually lock the car and use your key blade to enter?
      Good question.
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

Quote Originally Posted by silent-circuit View Post
      Good question.
      Alright, I did a whole cleanup of the CEM. Took battery out, tested it (normal readings when car was on/off). I then took CEM out, used contact cleaner on every possible part and even opened up the CEM to get all the nooks and crannies. No water damage or anything out of the ordinary, even took the carpet out a bit to inspect and nothing.

Went through all the fuses, replaced those that looked gunky and after a few hours, put it all back in.

Success. Everything booted back up to normal, and SRS light went away as well. Been 3 days now and no problems.

I am going to change my oil and replace the Passenger motor mount as well as Torque mount, so I'll do a more thorough inspection of any water damage at that point.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements