Three Beeps in the Rain - SOS from Rear Hatch
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Three Beeps in the Rain - SOS from Rear Hatch

So here’s another recent gremlin. Only when it rains, and while driving or stopped at a light, I periodically hear three beeps from the rear hatch. This is the same three beeps when I hear when I attempt to close and lock the hatch; but it doesn’t detect a key or thinks I’m standing under it. That part is normal. It is the three beeps while driving that is odd.

Again, this only happens in the rain, at less than 40mph, usually at or between stop lights. Thoughts as to what might trigger this?

I have it at the dealer now and shared a video with them with the behavior. Curious if anyone else has come across a similar issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sounds like something is triggering the foot sensor, but since there's no key it's giving the beeps. Guess you have a ghost trying to get in through the hatch! :P

I get this all the time because my hatch kick sensor got moved to the side where the rear wheels splash it. Need to dig into the trunk and yank that fuse...
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My kick sensor was moved to the side as well so you may be on to something there. Something styling kit install related. Looks good but comes with ghosts I guess. I’ll let you know if they have a fix for it besides pulling fuses.

You'd think the system would stop listening to the sensor when the vehicle is in Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      You'd think the system would stop listening to the sensor when the vehicle is in Drive.
      Well, at least the trunk doesn't fly open when driving...

ps, 'that fuse' is described here, thanks to BigBang for the research:
      https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...sable+tailgate
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ent-fuse-panel
      Last edited by Kranvagn; 01-28-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kranvagn View Post
      Well, at least the trunk doesn't fly open when driving...
      [/URL]
      Party wave indeed. Although unlikely, my wife does toss her purse and keys into the back. Seems like a decent flaw.

By chance, do you have mud flaps installed? I’m curious if they would mitigate the splash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the styling kit and the sensor was relocated behind the driver-side rear tire (USA left-hand-drive). I didn't hear and beeps this week when driving through the rain and puddles a few days ago.

I agree that it doesn't make engineering sense for the design intent of the touchless liftgate sensor to be active when the car is in motion. But then, my waggle-your-leg-to-open sensor doesn't seem to ever work even when my car is parked unless I kick the car. So it could just be a lack of sensitivity on my particular vehicle.
      Last edited by Holeydonut; 01-24-2020 at 05:44 PM. Reason: specify driver side is left side

Well I think I just figured out the beeps I'm hearing when in the touchless car wash.

Quote Originally Posted by callmecjp View Post
      Party wave indeed. Although unlikely, my wife does toss her purse and keys into the back. Seems like a decent flaw.

By chance, do you have mud flaps installed? I’m curious if they would mitigate the splash.
      Nope, I do not, you're right certainly might help.

This past weekend I was up in Tahoe for some skiing, the XC drove _fantastic_ on the ice and snow and slush, however...
      Not only did she beep while driving, worse was having the hatch decide to open spontaneously soon as I parked at Squaw Valley, and then try to close by itself several times on the heads of my peeps who were trying to get their boots and gear on for the slopes. Definitely going to rip out that fuse before the next trip to the mountains.

Wow, I wonder if the dealer can just disable the touchless sensor by programming the vehicle. It's not clear if the fuse is only for the touchless sensor, or if would effect the power liftgate in general.

It seems this touchless rear liftgate is more trouble than it is a benefit!

Quote Originally Posted by Holeydonut View Post
      It seems this touchless rear liftgate is more trouble than it is a benefit!
      Isolated issue, at worst.

My liftgate has been flawless, and I love the touchless sensor function.

Works every time for me on both my XC60 and another XC60 owned by a family member. However, the family member always has problems. When I try it on their car, it works fine. I think it's just they're not kicking smoothly and deliberately.

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Isolated issue, at worst.
      This might be an isolated issue, but there is no standard way to triage and find a remedy. Isolated issues become silly experiences for owners whose gates don't seem to operate in an optimal way. Owners shouldn't resort to pulling the fuse or repeatedly kicking their car as a solution.

I'm interested to learn what the dealer tells callmecjp or Kranvagn if they bring their car into a dealership for an inspection on the rear hatch functionality.

Sigh okay, just wrote my service advisor, we'll see if they have anything 'official' on the subject before I pull the fuse out...

(ps, also realized my post above showed where the rear fuse box is, but neglected the link to what fuse is the kick sensor (#15), so added that linky too)

My dealer reports nothing really useful beyond being willing to help: "Seems there are no known issues regarding this concern, but perhaps it is related to our installation. Let us check it out when you would like to, either in combination with another service or on it’s own if you have time."

No dice. Dealer said if it isn’t a recall there is nothing they can do. Mentioned repeatedly about us not buying the car through them, as if that would have magically fixed the issue.

Someone on the forums mentioned not having to relocate the sensor for the styling kit. I wonder if moving it back would be the fix. The last thing I need is for the hatch to randomly open while driving in the rain. Glad to hear this isn’t an isolated issue but hope to see a solution soon.

fwiw it'll never open when you're driving, it just won't allow that. Even when parked, you need to get out and walk near the sensor with the key in your pocket for the kick-sensor to automatically activate from the caked up rain/snow/debris on it. Why Volvo has it beep at you when it's NOT going to open anyway is beyond me...

So this past weekend I tried digging into the rear end trying to find the fuse box... Started tearing into the interior from the tail-gate forward, and while I was able to pry back the passenger side (right side) panel enough to see the fuse box I didn't have enough access to really get at it properly. Also at least on my vehicle (T8 & Air Suspension) there was a big flat computer module of some sort on top of the fuse box that I would need full access to remove first. As best I could figure out with (mostly) gentle tugging on panels, to completely remove that rear right interior panel to access the needful I would need to start from the back seats moving rearward around the shoulder belt mount point and onwards...lots of work, very much not-user-serviceable *#@* Volvo. Anybody have a proper interior disassembly guide?

It does seem strange that something that is designed to be replaced, i.e. fuses, is so inaccessible.

I get the proximity sensor in the front going off a lot in the rain when I'm stopped. Probably just the rain going over it.

I know isn't the same issue you're having, but I wanted to contribute.
      2019 XC60 Fusion Red T6 R-Design | Advanced Package | Heated Steering Wheel Package | 15% Tint

Yes, I’ve disassembled it a few times. Let me search for the PDF. If you look up my stealth hitch post I posted pictures and it is actually stealth hitches instructions I will post as those have you add the tow module and fuse for the hitch. Starts on the passenger side rear seat. Not too difficult.

Here is a link to the instructions:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...48254.pdf?8463

Starts on #16 and goes through 20. I don’t think I had to remove the anchor points in the cargo area.

Here’s the tools I used and the back of the leather trim so you csn see the clips.

This is the cap you pry up. Again, so you can see the clips:

The clip locations on the side panel:

There is another module on top of the fuse box.

Here’s a fun update. Apparently Volvo feels if their OEM parts are installed by a body shop, it voids the warranty. Here’s the message by customer care:

“Volvo cannot guarantee the work done by an Independent Repair Facility (IRF)facility. If the sensors were moved sensors or any of the vehicles original wires were cut, this will raise havoc on the vehicle and possibly void the vehicles warranty. This could also cause issues with the vehicle safety features.

Due to the aftermarket items, the retailer was unable to determine if the alleged issue is caused by the aftermarket parts or duplicate the concern.

To proceed Volvo asks you do one of the following:

1.The client/IRF removes the aftermarket items and returns the vehicle to its original state. This includes repositioning all sensors and or replacing any cut wires. – All these repairs at the clients expense.

2.Have a Volvo Retailer remove the aftermarket items and returns the vehicle to its original state. This includes repositioning all sensors and or replacing any cut wires. – All these repairs at the clients expense.

Once the vehicle has been returned to its original state. The dealership can then determine, if the vehicle has an issue (once they duplicate it). Once the aftermarket items have been removed from the vehicle please schedule an appointment for further diagnosis. If you would like Volvo Car USA to monitor your concern you can respond to this e-mail with the date/time and I would be happy to reopen your case.

Med vänliga hälsningar!”

In a nice way I explained these parts are designed to be installed by the owner but that I’d be happy to take this back to the dealer in case they want to take a look.

Several others mentioned having the car beep or open the hatch in bad weather so I let them know it is not an isolated issue. My install was last year but the beeping is new. We’ll see what they say next...

Quote Originally Posted by callmecjp View Post
      Here is a link to the instructions:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...48254.pdf?8463

Starts on #16 and goes through 20. I don’t think I had to remove the anchor points in the cargo area.
      Perfect, that worked like a charm, no more kick-to-open and this winter no more beeping.

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements