Powder coating Venators.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 19 of 19
    1. #1
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688

      Powder coating Venators.

      09í S80 with painted Venators. They are starting to look rough at 114k miles.

      Local wheel Collision wants $200 each to repaint and clear, but local truck tire service center will powdercoat for $40 per wheel.

      Thoughts?

      I know the weakening argument and donít buy into it, as once researched, credible sources seem to debunk it totally.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688
      Welp, guy says he can do it, stay tuned.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Northern California
      Posts
      654
      I would do my Zubra wheels for $40 easily. A local wheel refinisher gave me a quote of $135 to paint each wheel standard silver if I brought them in unmounted. BTW, what is a truck tire service center? Is it a national chain or local company?
      2008 S80 3.2, Sport and Climate packages, Barents Blue.
      2014 XC60 T6 AWD Premier Plus with Polestar, Rich Java.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #4
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688
      Quote Originally Posted by blindkarma View Post
      I would do my Zubra wheels for $40 easily. A local wheel refinisher gave me a quote of $135 to paint each wheel standard silver if I brought them in unmounted. BTW, what is a truck tire service center? Is it a national chain or local company?
      Itís actually gonna be $29 a wheel, no brainer.

      Iím not sure how big the company is, itís name is ďService Tire Truck CenterĒ (STTC). Iím in the Allentown PA area.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    7. #5
      Senior Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      13,778
      I had my pegs done for the VR in July. They look awesome. A slight bit darker than factory, and not as lustrous but they turned out very well.
      My understanding is that the finish is much tougher that paint. They charged me 175 each - I guess I got ripped off?
      Make sure they do really good prep. THAT is the key to any good finish.
      Now I need to order some sonax. They were so sharp inside and out and I want to keep them that way.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvos rock View Post
      Itís actually gonna be $29 a wheel, no brainer.
      Iím not sure how big the company is, itís name is ďService Tire Truck CenterĒ (STTC). Iím in the Allentown PA area.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

    8. #6
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688
      Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      I had my pegs done for the VR in July. They look awesome. A slight bit darker than factory, and not as lustrous but they turned out very well.
      My understanding is that the finish is much tougher that paint. They charged me 175 each - I guess I got ripped off?
      Make sure they do really good prep. THAT is the key to any good finish.
      Now I need to order some sonax. They were so sharp inside and out and I want to keep them that way.
      Yes, probably gonna go with a medium grey.

      Explained as dip wheels, media blast, dip again, coat and bake.

      He did say there will be areas of slight texture from the blast, where he canít get into with the mechanical tools, Iím ok with that.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    9. #7
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688
      So went with a silver, they are a bit darker than factory.

      He did have some issue with, as he explained it, getting all of the primer stripped off. There is a slight bit of shadowing close to the hubs on two of the wheels due to this, but overall they look amazing.

      Iíll post some pics when itís light out. I did go with a premium color so they were $39 a wheel.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    10. #8
      Senior Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      13,778
      Thatís sick. I have a set of pegs to get done. Who did them for that much??
      160 bucks to redo all four??
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvos rock View Post
      So went with a silver, they are a bit darker than factory.

      He did have some issue with, as he explained it, getting all of the primer stripped off. There is a slight bit of shadowing close to the hubs on two of the wheels due to this, but overall they look amazing.

      Iíll post some pics when itís light out. I did go with a premium color so they were $39 a wheel.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

    11. #9
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688
      Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Thatís sick. I have a set of pegs to get done. Who did them for that much??
      160 bucks to redo all four??



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      7z, it was Service Tire Truck Center, STTC. They are based here in PA, the shop that did mine is in Allentown by LVI airport.

      Yup, $160 for all 4.

      They use steel shot as the media, he explained that he would have had to dig into the wheel to much to get all the primer off, so thatís the reason for the slight imperfections, but it is more than acceptable. After all they do specialize in OTR truck wheels.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    12. #10
      Senior Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      13,778
      Well, damn! There's one near me, like 2 miles away. Had no idea.
      I may have to pay them a visit. Thanks!
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvos rock View Post
      7z, it was Service Tire Truck Center, STTC. They are based here in PA, the shop that did mine is in Allentown by LVI airport.

      Yup, $160 for all 4.

      They use steel shot as the media, he explained that he would have had to dig into the wheel to much to get all the primer off, so thatís the reason for the slight imperfections, but it is more than acceptable. After all they do specialize in OTR truck wheels.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

    13. #11
      Member maronha's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      WV
      Posts
      2,027
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvos rock View Post
      Yes, probably gonna go with a medium grey.

      Explained as dip wheels, media blast, dip again, coat and bake.

      He did say there will be areas of slight texture from the blast, where he canít get into with the mechanical tools, Iím ok with that.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      The must have very cheap labor to be $160 for four. I donít see where it would be worth it for them. Most wheel refinishing places I have used are 120 to 150 a wheel depending if the wheel need straightening.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 152k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 53K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 82k

    14. #12
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688


      Yeah Iím not sure how they do it (cost wise)but Iíll take it!


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    15. #13
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688
      And I forgot they are clear coated as well.

      There is one wheel that has more pronounced shadowing, if it bothers me I will take one of my spares and get it straightened, then coated.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    16. #14
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688

      Powder coating Venators.





      Couldnít reach the 4th one, lol. The second wheel is the one with the pronounced shadowing.

      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    17. #15
      Senior Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      13,778
      nice. that would do for winters!
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

    18. #16
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688
      Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      nice. that would do for winters!


      Ha, cheapest steelies available for winter


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    19. #17
      Senior Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      13,778
      You donít have to sacrifice style for winter, man. Water proof vans, goretex and scotch guarded suede, lined with fleece.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

    20. #18
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      688

      Powder coating Venators.



      Back on and wrapped in a new set of Cooper CS5 ultra touring, 245/45-18

      Iím very happy with how they came out for $40 a wheel.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    21. #19
      Senior Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      13,778
      Looks very good!
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvos rock View Post


      Back on and wrapped in a new set of Cooper CS5 ultra touring, 245/45-18

      Iím very happy with how they came out for $40 a wheel.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

    22. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Powder Coating and Ceramic Coating
      By DaveD in forum FWD & AWD Parts For Sale
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 07-20-2016, 12:30 PM
    2. Powder Coating Calipers
      By mune237 in forum Brakes
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 08-12-2010, 03:16 PM
    3. powder coating color options
      By R Enthusiast in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 30
      Last Post: 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
    4. Powder coating wheels in the same color as the car?
      By andersh67 in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
    5. Powder Coating - Carlisle Car Show -
      By Chilled Man in forum Wheels & Tires Classifieds
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 02-26-2010, 12:42 PM