XC90 - DRIVE MODE wheel
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

XC90 - DRIVE MODE wheel

Hello everyone!

Im getting myself XC90 2016 D5 Momentum for the 1st time . I just noticed that the "DRIVE MODE" wheel isnt there.

What is the difference?

In my opinion, i dont change modes from comfort to dynamic or offroad/eco. What is my car will not have the wheel "DRIVE MODE" to select drive modes? Is the car comfortable without this option? What is different?

Thanks for help!
      Sandi

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Please show us pictures if you have or can't take them?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      Please show us pictures if you have or can't take them?

Here is the picture of similar car, there is no "drive mode" knob.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Just checked the 2016 XC90 owners manual. Drive mode was an optional accessory. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by helojock View Post
      Just checked the 2016 XC90 owners manual. Drive mode was an optional accessory. Sorry.
      I wasn't asking if this drive mode was optional or not. Im curious, if my car doesn't have it...is it any difference in suspension/wheel, are they upgraded or something?

Thanks for help

The wheel does 4 things:

1) Off-road mode, which raises the suspension. This requires the air suspension, and there is no other way to adjust this; so I assume you have no air suspension.

2) ECO mode, which makes your car shift less aggressively

3) Comfort mode, where the shifting is pleasantly quickly but not crazy

4) Performance mode, where the car shifts very aggressively and keeps the gear low, resulting in more torquey acceleration. It will also lower the car if you have the air suspension. Again, I am not sure if you can get the shift options without the air suspension.

5) There's also a custom mode you can define, where you can mix and match these features into your own custom mode.

If this wheel is optional, it must be that the ECO and Performance modes are the feature that you're buying, and the wheel's thrown in so you can control it.

The sport mode is awesome. I love driving with this on the high ways, or even through NYC traffic. ECO mode is weird and un-fun.

The actual wheel is really a stupid user interface. It's a 4-5 position control, that spins far too quickly and freely. It would've been just fine as something in the Sensus or a 5 position dial.
      2016 XC90 T6 R-Design - Crystal White - POLESTAR! - Vision & Convenience Packages - 4C Air Suspension - Center Booster Cushion - PA2 Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by boxy-but-good View Post
      The wheel does 4 things:

1) Off-road mode, which raises the suspension. This requires the air suspension, and there is no other way to adjust this; so I assume you have no air suspension.

2) ECO mode, which makes your car shift less aggressively

3) Comfort mode, where the shifting is pleasantly quickly but not crazy

4) Performance mode, where the car shifts very aggressively and keeps the gear low, resulting in more torquey acceleration. It will also lower the car if you have the air suspension. Again, I am not sure if you can get the shift options without the air suspension.

5) There's also a custom mode you can define, where you can mix and match these features into your own custom mode.

If this wheel is optional, it must be that the ECO and Performance modes are the feature that you're buying, and the wheel's thrown in so you can control it.

The sport mode is awesome. I love driving with this on the high ways, or even through NYC traffic. ECO mode is weird and un-fun.

The actual wheel is really a stupid user interface. It's a 4-5 position control, that spins far too quickly and freely. It would've been just fine as something in the Sensus or a 5 position dial.
      You can press and release the wheel then tap on the list displayed on screen. No need to scroll it.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by boxy-but-good View Post
      I have no problem whatsoever operating the wheel, it's a very covenient way for changing the drive mode.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

In other words, in addition to what everyone has said, that wheel plays an important part of helping you set the vehicle's performance (speed, ride smoothness, traction etc), gearing and fuel consumption.

Without it, I guess you'd have an old but modern gearbox software behaviour, where it learns your driving patterns and adjusts itself accordingly.

I'm not even sure your vehicle will come.equiped with AWD. It'll most probably be front wheel only powered vehicle. Basically, you'll use it like most SUVs nowadays are used, as sedans dressed in SUV body and the closest to offroading they'd do being, driving on a well mowed lawn.

You'd need to be extra careful, around corners, in high speed driving and on slippery surfaces. Definitely no offroading!

------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Your will have AWD. They all do on gen 2 xc90s. There will be a badge on rear saying this. You can select ECO in SENSUS and dynamic is selected when you move gear knob over to left hand side (if righ hand drive) or right (if left hand drive vehicle e.g in USA) and use semi automatic shifting by up and down on gear knob. Comfort mode is the default drive mode when you start the car. If you get polestar all modes are improved even ECO.

I had a my17 T6 without the drive mode wheel. I've now got a MY20 T6 with it.

Without the wheel, you can engage off road and Eco mode through the touchscreen.

It didn't have dynamic, or individual modes that the MY20 with the drive mode wheel does.

Also realize that with the individual mode available through the wheel you can also custom select the braking and steering feel as well as the suspension and engine/transmission settings. Very handy mode to have!
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements