Itinerary advice sought
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Awaiting Approval

Itinerary advice sought

Hello all! This forum has been very useful so far. I'd like some advice for those experienced in driving in Europe. I'm envisioning a total time away from home of maybe 10-12 days.

In general, I don't enjoy driving, but I do enjoy seeing the world, and having a delivery date confirmed for mid-May, plan to take advantage of the insurance coverage to do the European road trip. My travel style is to minimize stays in larger cities, for the most part, and to stay at least 3 days or more in one location. The friend that is going with me will share the driving. We are looking at either a Western Europe or Eastern Europe itinerary.

I've always been interested in Prague, so the Eastern Itinerary option would focus on going to Prague, and perhaps Vienna, and then doing a drop-off in Munich.

On the otherhand, we'd like to see a show and attend the Chelsea flower show in London, and so the Western Itinerary option would have us mainly on a route that would end up with us dropping the car off in Amsterdam, Antwerp or London.

Can anyone comment on which itinerary, overall, would be easier to drive, and might have more options for stops in less populated areas en route? We like to keep each day's travel time to no more than 5 hours.

Thanks for any input!
      Karen

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Unless Volvo OSD is different than BMW European Delivery - the only person who can drive your car during OSD is the owner, who's named on the title of the car. If you add your friend to the title of your car - then your friend can drive your car during OSD.
      We planning the same route
      US - Stockholm (2 night) - Gotenborg (2 night) - Copenhagen (2 night) - Dresden/Berlin (2 night) - Prague (3 night) - Vienna/Bratislava (3 night) - Berchtesgaden/Salzburg (3 night) - Lindau (1 night) - Munich (3 night) - US
      If you noy awere - Munich drop off charge $480

https://www.berchtesgaden.de/en/nature/lake-koenigssee
      Last edited by George1989; 02-01-2020 at 11:38 AM.

We did pick up then to Copenhagen, Amsterdam & dropped off in Antwerp. Frankly having a car in the cities was a PITA. On our 2nd OSD we were going to go up the West coast of Sweden then drop off back @ the factory. But you want the smaller town experience. It is a very long way to London. Maybe route your departure flight through London and layover a couple days
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You should definitely go for it and drive to Prague! We did on our OSD road trip and it was fantastic. You can take the overnight Stena Line ferry from Gothenburg to Kiel, Germany. The ferry port is only a few miles from the Volvo FDC and in the morning you will arrive in Germany early in the morning and after a beautiful drive can get to Prague for supper. The Stena Line was offering discounts for Volvo OSD customers so you should ask about that. Sometimes their website is a bit wonky, but don't let that discourage you. I would recommend a centralized hotel with secure parking as it is easier to navigate the city using the inexpensive, clean and efficient public transportation. After Prague we drove on to Munich, Fussen (Neuschwanstein), Venice, Vienna, Wachau Valley, Salzburg, Rothenburg and then back to Kiel for ferry ride back to Sweden. There are so many great options that you could choose.

Good luck with your trip!

George1989, we are planning almost the exact same trip. Gothenburg to Frederikshavn then Billund, Denmark then across to Barth to visit the remains of the POW camp at which my father-in-law was an invited guest after being shot down in a B-17 in 1943, on to Potsdam, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Salzburg and Munich for the shipment home, a trip of nearly 3 weeks. I agree that this will not be a burden, the roads should be fine and if one paces onerself it should be marvelous. This will be our second OSD and will be a bit longer than the first.

Karenrif, I don't think you will have a bit of trouble especially on the German roads. My experience after 15 or so driving trips all over Europe, is that European drivers are much better, much more disciplined than US drivers, where we (in the US) seem to think that driving is a right, not a privilege. I live in Texas and across the south, whatever polite is, goes out the window when folks get into a car.

On the other hand, Karenrif, the translation from Europe to England in a left hand drive car is a bit intimidating even for me, and I have driven on the "wrong" side of the road on at least 10 trips with no trouble, BUT I have always driven a right hand steering car. I overcome the inclination to get on the wrong side by reminding myself CONSTANTLY, keep the driver's side in the middle of the road. Now, taking a left hand drive to a right handed world may be easy for you, but it would scare the poop out of me, and I have driven in BOTH Paris and Rome, at rush hour. I suggest that if you really want to go to the Chelsea Show, you should park the car in Paris and take the chunnel train from Gare du Nord to London. Chelsea is 4 miles from St. Pancras station, quick by Tube or taxi.

In any case, I think you are in for an experience of a lifetime, don't hesitate, enjoy it.

We are picking ours on 4/20, heading for a few days in Norway, then via ferry Trelleborg-Sassnitz for a few weeks in Poland. return same way via Sassnitz, drop car in Gotheburg, jump on the plane in the end of May.

Anyone heading through Poland or close and want to meet - shoot me PM. (Yes, I am Polish..)

/kleks

Quote Originally Posted by mrain1 View Post
      George1989, we are planning almost the exact same trip. Gothenburg to Frederikshavn then Billund, Denmark then across to Barth to visit the remains of the POW camp at which my father-in-law was an invited guest after being shot down in a B-17 in 1943, on to Potsdam, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Salzburg and Munich for the shipment home, a trip of nearly 3 weeks. I agree that this will not be a burden, the roads should be fine and if one paces onerself it should be marvelous. This will be our second OSD and will be a bit longer than the first.

Karenrif, I don't think you will have a bit of trouble especially on the German roads. My experience after 15 or so driving trips all over Europe, is that European drivers are much better, much more disciplined than US drivers, where we (in the US) seem to think that driving is a right, not a privilege. I live in Texas and across the south, whatever polite is, goes out the window when folks get into a car.

After my driving experience in Italy

This will be our second OSD and will be a bit longer than the first
      Second for me also - first was BMW ED - 2weeks - 1880 miles.
      for 3 weeks - are you purchasing extra insurance - because all ED/OSD cars get 14 days covers? how much is the extra 1 week?
      Last edited by George1989; 01-29-2020 at 02:55 PM.

If you want to go deeper into Eastern Europe - Krakow is a beautiful and wonderful city.
      Future: 2020 V60 CC Birch Light with Advanced Package and Bowers and Wilkins (OSD summer 2020)
      Current: Subaru Outback 2015, Limited

Quote Originally Posted by George1989 View Post
      After my driving experience in Italy
      I don't think Italians count when referring to European drivers!
      MY19 OSD - XC40 T5 AWD Momentum (Osmium grey metallic)

Last edited by George1989; 01-31-2020 at 12:18 AM.

These are pretty funny. Cancel my driving trip to Italy, please.

If you ever drive on 405FWY in rush hour - you will be fine in Italy. I assume the same can be applied to Hawaiin traffic. East Coast drivers will feel no difference between 95FWY and Italian E35.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements