Potential V70 Project
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2001 V70 T5 Project Car

Looking for some wisdom on a potential project car. I don't want to post the CL link because I'm worried some pirate will swoop in and grab it before I can get out there from Michigan.

2001 T5 FWD manual V70 wagon with 170K miles. Seller will accept $900. Clutch is original but good, needs some body work. Interior looks amazing. Seller says it will need at least front struts and the liftgate hinges repaired. It has had the timing belt done, newer battery, and a set of winter tires included. Engine light is on, possibly gas cap / emissions related. Seller also states turbo is "leaky," whatever that could mean.

Seems awesome for a project, especially with the manual trans. Decent investment, or is it too much work to restore?

EDIT: this old girl was purchased and given a new home. I will keep track of my progress here.
      Last edited by BKXC90; 02-18-2020 at 06:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A lot of dependencies. Winter tires included means it lived in the snow belt. So, rust can be a concern. P2s are very good in that regard. But, I have seen some slightly rusty early P2s. Rust isn't worth dealing with. The PCV condition is another concern. Problems there can lead to leaky/blown seals. Evap emissions issues can be as simple as a gas cap. But, can be hard to track down. Probably due for a front suspension refresh, unless they've done something already. A "leaky turbo" could mean the rubber couplers are shot. Those are easy to fix.

It all comes down to the maintenance history and how much work you are willing to do. For $900 it might be worth it just for the engine and transmission.
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

Quote Originally Posted by BKXC90 View Post
      Looking for some wisdom on a potential project car. I don't want to post the CL link because I'm worried some pirate will swoop in and grab it before I can get out there from Michigan.

2001 T5 FWD manual V70 wagon with 170K miles. Seller will accept $900. Clutch is original but good, needs some body work. Interior looks amazing. Seller says it will need at least front struts and the liftgate hinges repaired. It has had the timing belt done, newer battery, and a set of winter tires included. Engine light is on, possibly gas cap / emissions related. Seller also states turbo is "leaky," whatever that could mean.

Seems awesome for a project, especially with the manual trans. Decent investment, or is it too much work to restore?
      You're not posting the link because you know it's a good deal that someone else will grab if you don't, that should be telling you something. $900 is such a cheap price that there's hardly any risk.
      2013 XC60 T6
      2008 C30 T5 R-Design
      2002 S60 T5M: the daily commuter slayer
      Past: 2007 XC70 Orca, 1999 V70 5sp, 2010 Mazda5, 2000 Audi A4 Avant 5sp, 1990 VW Fox 4sp

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Have Vida? Buy. Don’t have vida, buy vida then buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 293k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

I don't know...that's not cheap enough given vintage. 2001 has the old ETM - check to see if it has been replaced as it's an expensive part. As others have mentioned a suspension refresh will very likely be required as well as engine mounts. You'll very likely need a new steering coupler due to corrosion (not a huge deal), be sure to check for power steering issues, control arms likely need done, it's probably got a few electrical niggles (things like light switch crapping out, steering clockspring, turn indicators, come to mind). See how it behaves around corners too as some of the rear bushings may need to be changed out too. Don't get me wrong, will likely serve you quite well but will only be cost effective if you are willing to invest some sweat equity. Good to see that it's FWD, that will keep things simple.

Replacing PCV is a given. Not that expensive as long as you have time and knowledge/skills.
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

You will have to blow a few grands on top of purchase price to make it a decent vehicle. Take that as granted.

A 19 year old car is always going to be a project, unless it has an encylopedia of service records. That said, if you have the know how and ability go fo it. That is a rare bird and should be owned by an enthusiest.
      04 V70R Flash Green/Atacama6MT

It’s $3k in parts to revive.

2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned

Thanks for all the input! I think it will be a worthwhile project to revive over the course of this year. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for thinking so; this would be my first FWD, my first turbo, and my first wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by BKXC90 View Post
      Thanks for all the input! I think it will be a worthwhile project to revive over the course of this year. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for thinking so; this would be my first FWD, my first turbo, and my first wagon.
      Prepare to have some fun! These cars are a riot. Just dont get too overwhelmed trying to tackle everything at once they can present a steep learning curve, albeit short.

Rust would be a deal breaker for me. The bodies on these are usually very good and unless there was prior collision damage I would expect rust to be minimal even on a rust belt car. P2 T5s are not that difficult to find any more for pretty cheap. Manuals are hard to come by but if you want a project you could always swap that in. 2001 is also an iffy year although the one I had was an excellent car.

Getting things ready to make the drive to pick it up! I have a week to prep - plan is to take a few days (8-9 hours one way) and tow it back home. This will be the heaviest load I've pulled with the XC90; anything I should do before cruising 500 miles with a 3500lb wagon behind me? I'm getting the trailer tow module installed this week, obviously need to make sure my lighting and brakes work. Should be a great trip!

I towed another V70 with my V70. This should be a walk in the park for XC90.

I'd agree that it's a worthwhile venture—glad to hear you're getting it. There's always talk about how swapping in an M56 is an option. And it genuinely is…but most of us don't have the time, space/tools, or know-how to tackle a project of that nature. So, finding a native 3-pedal T5 is a more realistic proposition to most of us. Starting with only $900 in on what sounds like a solid car for that price, you'll be able to get it where you want it and still be a good bit south of the cost to even get in a V70R. I've got 175K on mine, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country tomorrow…

I didn't see this question asked: what color combo is it??
      Current: 2003 V70 T5 M56 // Mystic Silver/Charcoal // 162K miles // Koni FSD + Eibachs // Snabb intake + IPD silicone turbo hoses // Copper R Brembos // 18" Pegs // OEM bi-xenons // '05 side mirrors // 18/35 tint // jewel tails // black anodized S80 DIM // R steering wheel // '05 console w/ T5M spaceball // mesh grill with custom ironmark badge 2004 XC70 bone stock for now…
      Previous: 2001 V70 T5M (Nautic/Charcoal) // 1999 V70 NA M56 (Blue-Green Metallic/Charcoal) // 2004 V70R M66 (Titanium/Nordkap) // 1992 244 M47 (Silver/Navy…and the newest, nicest car I'll ever own. Sold on BaT. )

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Moose View Post
      I towed another V70 with my V70. This should be a walk in the park for XC90.
      Lol! That's awesome, I feel good about my V8 XC90 pulling it on a dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigg View Post
      I'd agree that it's a worthwhile venture—glad to hear you're getting it. There's always talk about how swapping in an M56 is an option. And it genuinely is…but most of us don't have the time, space/tools, or know-how to tackle a project of that nature. So, finding a native 3-pedal T5 is a more realistic proposition to most of us. Starting with only $900 in on what sounds like a solid car for that price, you'll be able to get it where you want it and still be a good bit south of the cost to even get in a V70R. I've got 175K on mine, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country tomorrow…

I didn't see this question asked: what color combo is it??
      Good to hear! It's silver on the outside and delicious black leather on the inside. The perfect color combination. I will post pictures as soon as I have it. Gotta get the XC90 trailer module programmed and the internal HD map / navigation updated this week.

Finally finally finally picked this beauty up. 1,100 miles round trip from MI to PA and back. The XC90 was a champ, but threw a P0131 code for an oxygen sensor on the way back. No biggie.

On to the wagon!

2001 V70 T5 manual transmission. 169K miles. Interior is incredibly well kept and clean. Exterior has some flaws that will be addressed in time.

Pressing matters: front struts need to be replaced. Turbo is supposedly leaking but it pulls like a mofo and feels great. Engine light for a P0455 code for the evap system. Fuel cap has been replaced already so possibly the filler neck or the sending unit. Either way, we don't have inspections in MI Other than that, everything is minor and / or cosmetic. Needs an exterior refresh - did some trim piece "back to black" spray today and it looks much better. It also came with a set of winter tires mounted on some steelies, so those are on.

Plans:

WANG, hitch, OEM splash guards, underbody splash guard, new grille, rear window tint, and and interior refresh with some new trim panel pieces, new shift knob, and floor mats. Everything else will be maintenance and driving the hell out of this thing.

Prepare to have fun with bushings!

The rest is all just p2 stuff. You may have an unplugged or rotted evap line.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      Prepare to have fun with bushings!

The rest is all just p2 stuff. You may have an unplugged or rotted evap line.

Already making my very extensive list of bushings and suspension components. Your thread is helping a ton.

Also, I have the entire maintenance history dating back to it's purchase, including the original window sticker. Some interesting items of note: this car is on its fourth set of front struts and they need replacing. The ABS module was replaced by the dealership some time ago. A new oil pan was installed. It's had ball joints, tons of suspension work, and the upper engine mount replaced. It has had its catalytic converter replaced and a new O2 sensor installed. I can't believe the amount of money that went into this thing over its life. The timing belt / water pump / idler bearing was done at 105K and spark plugs have been replaced a few times as well. It's had a pretty good life and I'm excited to keep it going.

That VST strut bar is interesting, if ultimately unnecessary. 4 sets of struts! Goddang what roads was this car driving on.

That VST strut bar is interesting, if ultimately unnecessary. 4 sets of struts! Goddang what roads was this car driving on.
      I just assume it was a race car in its past life, and now it's just old and tired. Like a greyhound!

Took a couple years before the 2001 V70 T5M we bought was to Stage 0. Bought at 106 J miles and had to do struts/entire front suspension. Clunked forever until the front swaybar was replaced.

A tip - If I recall P0455 is a large leak. If the front mount is shot (not the little strap - the main mount) it will pull the front to rear evap hose off just aft of the front subframe, bottom passenger side, wuick fix but use jackstands

Quote Originally Posted by zak View Post
      Took a couple years before the 2001 V70 T5M we bought was to Stage 0. Bought at 106 J miles and had to do struts/entire front suspension. Clunked forever until the front swaybar was replaced.

A tip - If I recall P0455 is a large leak. If the front mount is shot (not the little strap - the main mount) it will pull the front to rear evap hose off just aft of the front subframe, bottom passenger side, wuick fix but use jackstands
      Thanks for the tip! That's on my short list along with the struts as major safety items to address as priorities.

I was looking at that car myself. Where was the gash at they were showing in the pictures? Count yourself lucky as you have a stick shift T5 with dark interior. I looked for months and found mine in Pennsylvania as well.

By the way, I have this exact car. I've been pretty much all the way through it with the exception of the rear suspension. So it you need any help, let me know.

If that front to rear evap hose does come off, you'll hear it on and off at idle. It will sound like someone randomly spitting through a tube. You'll probably get the standard leaky radiator and power steering reservoir very soon if you don't have them already. The thing that will get you on this car is the dual mass flywheel. Those things are expensive and the single mass flywheels are very expensive too now.

Does it have DSTC? This was an expensive option in '01 and became standard on the T5 in '02.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dentedhoodv70 View Post
      I was looking at that car myself. Where was the gash at they were showing in the pictures? Count yourself lucky as you have a stick shift T5 with dark interior. I looked for months and found mine in Pennsylvania as well.

By the way, I have this exact car. I've been pretty much all the way through it with the exception of the rear suspension. So it you need any help, let me know.

If that front to rear evap hose does come off, you'll hear it on and off at idle. It will sound like someone randomly spitting through a tube. You'll probably get the standard leaky radiator and power steering reservoir very soon if you don't have them already. The thing that will get you on this car is the dual mass flywheel. Those things are expensive and the single mass flywheels are very expensive too now.

Does it have DSTC? This was an expensive option in '01 and became standard on the T5 in '02.

Rob
      DMF cheaper than SMF to replace. $400 versus $550 but if you drive a SMF car it’s a no brainer and some of the best $ spent on these

Rob
      Nice! Thanks for all that info, and the offer for help. I'm sure I'll be messaging you. The gash you are talking about could be either the body damage on the driver side wheel well after the wheel fell off and the hub had to be replaced, or on top of the roof, near the rear, just aft of where I will be installing a spoiler. It looks repairable with some putty or epoxy since it's fiberglass - not too bad. According to the window sticker, it does not have DTSC - just says "Stability & Traction Control (STC)." I am so excited to get this car on the road - I just got the title and plates. I'm treating it like a time machine - only listening to burned CDs from 2000-2005 and might even use a cassette deck adapter.

As far as the project goes, sadly my wallet dictates which parts come in first, rather than priority. So tomorrow we will be installing: all new wipers, headlight wipers, K&N filter, Curt hitch, and possibly some liftgate struts if they show up.

I checked out the local scrap yard for some random parts - they had 3 S60s, an S60R, and an XC90. I needed the splash guard for the underbody of the V70 - nada. Wanted the beautiful wheels off the R - nope. Wanted the black grille from ANY of the S60s - NOPE. Left empty handed and it was so discouraging. The seats from the R were tempting though...except they were blue.

Side note: I have the original wheels and tires for sale in the classifieds.

ooh. get some of the R bits. rear suspension forward toe control arms. brakes. turbo. injectors. intake and airbox. door pulls. DIM cover. ect

ooh. get some of the R bits. rear suspension forward toe control arms. brakes. turbo. injectors. intake and airbox. door pulls. DIM cover. ect
      Sure, wanna write me a blank check? I would love to gut that thing. The easy stuff was already gone - headlights, wheels, grille, etc.

Got some goodies in today:

-Curt Class II hitch (#12318) and Euro ball (#45571)
      -K&N air filter (#332176)
      -Headlight wipers (Uro #274433)

Still need so many things. But it feels good to get things done! Oh, that "Back To Black" spray stuff works great on aged / faded plastic trim.

Man you got a deal!

I looked for a splash guard for YEARS! They are cheap new but the shipping kills you. After working underneath the car so many times, I've wondered if I would have gotten sick of the thing and just left it off anyway. For the rims, all I wanted for years were R style. But, I had the 17's (factory T5 upgrade in '01) and blew one out on a midwest pothole. So I found used R rims a guy had local and went to see him. He taught auto mechanics at the local community college. Turns out the R rims were slightly bend. He couldn't get them to balance out on the tire machine and had vibration problems at speed. So I passed on those and put 16" XC rims on it. Rides nice, tires are cheaper, and no blowouts on the potholes. So be careful what you buy.

That gash that I was asking about was the one with where the picture was taken with the garage door in the background. I couldn't figure out what part of the car it was. It looked like the roof above near the rear hatch area.

I only have STC on mine as well. It's just that DSTC makes the car a lot safer.

Man you got a deal!

I looked for a splash guard for YEARS! They are cheap new but the shipping kills you. After working underneath the car so many times, I've wondered if I would have gotten sick of the thing and just left it off anyway. For the rims, all I wanted for years were R style. But, I had the 17's (factory T5 upgrade in '01) and blew one out on a midwest pothole. So I found used R rims a guy had local and went to see him. He taught auto mechanics at the local community college. Turns out the R rims were slightly bend. He couldn't get them to balance out on the tire machine and had vibration problems at speed. So I passed on those and put 16" XC rims on it. Rides nice, tires are cheaper, and no blowouts on the potholes. So be careful what you buy.

That gash that I was asking about was the one with where the picture was taken with the garage door in the background. I couldn't figure out what part of the car it was. It looked like the roof above near the rear hatch area.

I only have STC on mine as well. It's just that DSTC makes the car a lot safer.
      I would love to get an actual aluminum skid plate but I think it’s overkill. I just want a damn plastic splash guard. Something to keep rocks and dirt and salt out.

That’s actually an idea I have floating around in my head - seeing if my 18s from the XC90 will fit. I highly doubt it but still going to try.

Yep that’s the gash - the one on the hatch.

Oh, they usually put those splash guards at the junkyards when they take the cars in to get to the oil and so on underneath the car. They just throw them away. So talk to the guys there and tell them you want one. Watch closing when they get one in and call them that day. You'll get one for next to nothing.

I'm down in central Illinois so not many volvos and the junkyard is 35 miles away. So I can't really do that. I call them up from time to time and they say "we ain't got no Volvos"

The under engine pan is not recommended for HPT turbo cars.

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements